PDA

View Full Version : Thorens TD2030 Arrived

JSCC
07-12-2010, 10:42 AM
Just to share - pictures of the Thorens TD2030, the Ortofon 2m Blue Cartridge, TP300 Arm, Controller, Phono Stage, Disc Clamp and Box.

jdandy
07-12-2010, 11:13 AM
Jerry.......Very nice looking set up, for sure. I like the way the speed control and the phono preamp sit under the turntable. Yout room looks beautiful.

So, how does it sound?

Still-One
07-12-2010, 11:53 AM
Jerry
Very nice. I am a sure your wife is very happy at how tasteful and compact everything looks.

cmalak
07-12-2010, 11:56 AM
Jerry...very nice. Congrats :thumbsup:

ehoove
07-12-2010, 07:52 PM
Jerry,
Great Look! and a very fine table.
Congrats,
Jim

PHC1
07-12-2010, 08:00 PM
Looking good Jerry. Did you set up the tonearm and cartridge yourself or have your dealer do it for you? Enjoy!

vintage_tube
07-12-2010, 09:05 PM
Very nice indeed & clean looking setup Jerry. Impressions?????

Bob

1KW
07-12-2010, 09:22 PM
Jerry your room looks terrific and the turntable looks sweet ! Congratulations and Enjoy

JSCC
07-12-2010, 10:58 PM
Looking good Jerry. Did you set up the tonearm and cartridge yourself or have your dealer do it for you? Enjoy!

Hi Serge,

Not ashamed to admit all along, I thought the tonearm/cartridge set up process is just align the cartridge to a vinyl looking protractor and balance the weight using the arm's counterbalance and then dial in the appropriate arm dials.

How WRONG I was! The setup took a full 30 mins and there are MORE process I could imagine. There was arm height, cartridge alignment, tracking weight, anti skate, etc, ..... A full education for me. In fact, he had tools to do all that.

In short, he did it for me as part of the cost. Oh, also oil bath on the spindle, etc, ..... My Linn LP12 had lesser complicated process than this I thought. It was delivered to me, setup and play! This one had all the impressive work (I hope he's not impressing me with this thing called excellent after sales customer service :D) which made me feel my monies were well spent and that my TT is so high end a product! Made me feel good about buying it. I did!

I would imagine that buying the higher end stuff would entail this kind of work and support, not something like mine (although I must admit, the Thorens is a good looker)!

As for the sound, my oh my, it does sound GOOD! So good, I played my LPs and then compare to the CD's. On older recordings, the midrange is so "sweet". This made me wonder if I should have gone for broke and bought the 3x more epensive 2M Black as Dan had advised! :scratch2:

In fact, it sounded better than my ex-Linn which made me wonder if that was correctly setup in the first place or is this a case of "pyscho acoustics" I am going thru.

Nonetheless, this is one system I am learning to like ... and love (I had to ... no permission for money for new toys for now). And I am professing I do like the process! I am discovering new ways and enjoyment in this "New" system.

Cheers!

80B
07-12-2010, 11:02 PM
Jerry, congratulations, and glad to hear it sounds as good as it looks!

f1 fan
07-12-2010, 11:05 PM
Jerry...WOW! the new 'table looks great with the system;) enjoy spinning;);)

Dave

audiosoul
07-13-2010, 01:18 AM
Very nice TT setup. But that blue has to go at some point. This TT deserves a top notch cart. to get the full benefits of such a high quality TT. ENJOY.....

JSCC
07-13-2010, 04:54 AM
Very nice TT setup. But that blue has to go at some point. This TT deserves a top notch cart. to get the full benefits of such a high quality TT. ENJOY.....

Was short of funds, so go with the 2M Blue first although was advised by Dan to go for the Black. :yes: :thumbsup:

Once I scrimped enough, will buy the 2M Black. These days its difficult to get funding for such "new projects". :D

Cheers! :banana:

audiosoul
07-14-2010, 01:47 AM
Ya, I hear you. It's one step at a time. Sorry if I seemed pushy.....

Jerome W
07-14-2010, 02:56 AM
Congrats on a beautiful TT Jerry,
your set up looks awesome.
Enjoy !

JSCC
07-14-2010, 03:43 AM
Hi Guys,

Thanks for the compliments. Will do some serious listening (for the first time) on vinyl .... all the way. CD's, DVD-Audio (I have 3 pieces) & SACD will be next and Bluray last.

Will post my experience next week. Thanks.

Cheers!

howiebrou
07-14-2010, 04:40 AM
Wow Jerry,

When did you decide to get back into vinyl. Is it all plugges into the 808i.2? Love Thorens, especially their TD 550 tt :thumbsup:

JSCC
07-14-2010, 06:22 AM
Yes Bro.

TT plug into its own Phono Stage (S$230) and then into the 808.2. The TD550 is S$18k. To much unless I go all the way for a NEW system, which in my case today is a "no-no". To my wife, your system is "NEW"! So, minimum, I have to live with it for another 4 to 5 years!

I can talk, see, look and gawk, but sans the very mention of BUY!

I am really looking forward to your final selection/purchase. I have posted the links to the ALEF Orchestra Integrated Amplifier. Indeed cost US$65k. And supposedly to be able to drive anything!

As for me going back to vinyl, its a small way cause I am at the lower end of things. Just to ensure my small 55 pieces of collection get their playtime too. So far, so good. Actually, I did wanted to buy Dr. Feickert but the entire setup went up to S$18 (arm, cartridge, phono stage) etc, ...... That "scared me off".

Cheers!

Volks
07-14-2010, 12:41 PM
Beautiful System! :)

PHC1
07-14-2010, 02:46 PM
Hi Guys,

Thanks for the compliments. Will do some serious listening (for the first time) on vinyl .... all the way. CD's, DVD-Audio (I have 3 pieces) & SACD will be next and Bluray last.

Will post my experience next week. Thanks.

Cheers!

Jerry, you mean you still have not listened to your new table??? :sigh: Come on, start spinning those shiny vinyl records!

Art K
07-14-2010, 10:11 PM
Very nice analog front end!