PDA

View Full Version : Thorens TD2030

JSCC
07-09-2010, 02:23 AM
I was mesmerized by this Thorens Model TD2030 Acrylic Series TT. It comes complete with a TP300 arm (and any SME series arm if one wishes to fork out the cash difference).

What captured my attention was the blue hue when viewed from the top and from the sides, its plain clear acrylic. Beautiful !:thumbsup:

As I am hunting for a bargain high end (but not stratospherically priced) TT, this piece caught my eye when I walked around the Adelphi during lunch hour.

With the Thorens Clamp, Cork Mat, Model 005 MC/MM Phono Stage and an Ortofon 2M Blue (to color match) thrown in, it seem like a bargain .... and so ..... after walking around aimlessly but deep in thoughts, I finally pull the trigger and brought out my credit card! Of course, not before consulting my financial controller who gave me the thumbs up as its really a bargain!

US$4500 with Clamp, Cork Mat, MC/MM Phono Stage and Ortofon MM Catridge would easily bring the cost up to US$5000. Well, how could I resist when all I have to pay, log, stock and barrel for S$3570.

It will be at my home come next week Monday evening, fully setup to play my small little 55 pieces of Vinyl which I collected when I had my then vintage Linn LP12 setup. I could safely add I will just add one piece of Shunyata Venom 3 for the TT's power supply, still all under S$4k.

Now I am all set, TT, Bluray DVD/Universal Player, Tuner, CD/DAC/Pre and Speakers! Just sit back, plonk on the disc or vinyl and I am ready for MUSIC!

Attached pics to share (to also help explain how I was lured into buying it), the clamp, etc, all 48 lbs of polished metal and acrylic ... how to resists? I know in comparison to some member's serious TT setup may make this one seem "low end", but to me, this is one nice TT good enough for my small vinyl collection playback and enjoyment. For that, I am be very happy since its such a bargain! Well, the real pics will be posted next week when the TT is delivered. And I am sharing my new joy today! Makes my weekend!

Cheers!

Still-One
07-09-2010, 08:22 AM
Jerry
The table looks interesting. It will look very nice in your set-up.

Aren't new toys fun?
Jim

MC352
07-09-2010, 08:32 AM
That's a real nice looking table. Congratulations on your new purchase.

jdandy
07-09-2010, 08:56 AM
Jerry.......The Thornes TD2030 looks very attractive, and should provide you with years of great service. Did you chose the Ortofon 2M Blue moving magnet phono cartridge, or the Ortofon Rondo Blue moving coil phono cartridge? If you chose the Ortofon 2M Blue, you might want to consider moving up to the Ortofon 2M Black with the Shibata stylus tip, the same tip Ortofon uses on their $2350 Jubilee moving coil cartridge. The Ortofon 2M Black is their best moving magnet phono cartridge, and is a bargain for the price.

cmalak
07-09-2010, 09:13 AM
Congrats Jerry...great looking table. I hope you enjoy spinning your vinyl on the new toy.

JSCC
07-09-2010, 11:34 AM
Jerry.......The Thornes TD2030 looks very attractive, and should provide you with years of great service. Did you chose the Ortofon 2M Blue moving magnet phono cartridge, or the Ortofon Rondo Blue moving coil phono cartridge? If you chose the Ortofon 2M Blue, you might want to consider moving up to the Ortofon 2M Black with the Shibata stylus tip, the same tip Ortofon uses on their $2350 Jubilee moving coil cartridge. The Ortofon 2M Black is their best moving magnet phono cartridge, and is a bargain for the price.

It's the MM 2M Blue as I had problem justifying 3x the price of the "Blue", plus it blows my allowed budget of S$3.5k. Nonetheless, I will buy that sometime next year when I saved enough. :D

The price is S$860 for the black as compared to S$280 for the Blue! I know it's the best as the dealer told me so too!

Cheers.

jdandy
07-09-2010, 11:37 AM
It's the MM 2M Blue as I had problem justifying 3x the price of the "Blue", plus it blows my allowed budget of S$3.5k. Nonetheless, I will buy that sometime next year when I saved enough. :D

The price is S$860 for the black as compared to S$280 for the Blue! I know it's the best as the dealer told me so too!

Cheers.

Jerry.......Understood. Looking forward to your review of the new Thornes TD2030. It is a beauty.

two dot
07-09-2010, 12:38 PM
Jerry,

Very glad to hear that you are going to be spinning vinyl again!!!

Congrats!!!

Now, you can start collecting vinyl... you must have some good sources to buy vinyl from there.

f1 fan
07-09-2010, 08:52 PM
Jerry...that's a great 'table;) to add to your beautiful system. Enjoy spinning;)

Dave

PHC1
07-09-2010, 08:57 PM
Jerry, congrads! I think you made a great choices. :thumbsup:

1KW
07-09-2010, 10:24 PM
Jerry, Nice TT . I am looking for a TT myself, just as soon as I have a pre amp again. Looking forward to your impressions ..Enjoy !