EasyRiderNYC
04-23-2009, 01:23 PM
Do you uses one? Does it seem to work?

PHC1
04-23-2009, 02:14 PM
Those that use them swear by them.

Jean-Marc jmajma
04-23-2009, 03:12 PM
Like serge said, my friend swears by it, but I didn't test it yet.

Masterlu
04-23-2009, 04:47 PM
They still make those? I used one in my previous life when I had my Troubador. :yes:

Still-One
04-23-2009, 06:44 PM
Is that one of those Red gun-like devices we used on LP's long ago?

Masterlu
04-23-2009, 06:54 PM
Is that one of those Red gun-like devices we used on LP's long ago?

Yup, that's the one.

gregswaim
04-23-2009, 08:58 PM
I've never used a ray gun on my records. :no:

OneMalt
05-20-2009, 06:29 PM
I had one years ago and could never figure out if it did any good (or if I was using it properly). Now that I'm back into vinyl, I can't remember where I put it.:confused-2:

f1 fan
05-22-2009, 08:07 PM
I had one years ago and could never figure out if it did any good (or if I was using it properly). Now that I'm back into vinyl, I can't remember where I put it.:confused-2:

Same here:scratch2:

Vintage Pete
05-22-2009, 09:37 PM
Boy, I'd forgotten all about those things. I never used one, but I remember it. I used to use discwasher (still have that), another disc cleaner that I can't even remember the name of, and for a time in the mid to late seventies, a product called Sound Guard, that was said to reduce wear.

Anyone remember the Disc Preener?

Pete

Sproink
05-23-2009, 07:18 AM
I have used one and still have an original (still works)...I wouldn't "swear" by it, but for LPs with a REALLY heavy static charge it does help.

MC352
05-28-2009, 07:42 PM
I had one years ago, I was never sure it worked.

I actually thought about getting one again the other day, but decided not to.

PHC1
06-10-2009, 04:47 PM
I tried the Zerostat today. It works! If you need proof besides the audible difference you hear in terms of less static while playing your records, leave your record on the platter without the dust cover for a few hours, dim the lights in the room, point the flashlight at the record, zap it and watch the specs of dust jump right off the record! :thumbsup: Big thanks to Jeff for getting me to try it. :thumbsup:
How does it work? Pull the handle slowly, positive ions are generated, release slowly and negative ions are generated. Neutralizes much of the static the record builds up.

http://selectsoundandvision.co.uk/images/Zerostat_blue.jpg

recycledstereo
07-18-2009, 06:02 PM
I always use a Zerostat when I play vinyl. Seems to significantly reduce static for me.

schaefer11
07-19-2009, 12:46 AM
Still have and use, rarely, my Discwasher and Zerostat that I purchased probably 25 years ago. The Zerostat definitely reduced the static on an LP.

Masterlu
07-19-2009, 07:57 AM
Welcome recycledstereo!

gregswaim
07-19-2009, 08:06 AM
I use professional grade anti-static record sleeves - there's no need for a ray gun. :D $32.00/box of 50- Nitty Gritty.

kach22i
12-30-2009, 11:35 PM
I tried the Zerostat today. It works! If you need proof besides the audible difference you hear in terms of less static while playing your records, leave your record on the platter without the dust cover for a few hours, dim the lights in the room, point the flashlight at the record, zap it and watch the specs of dust jump right off the record! :thumbsup: Big thanks to Jeff for getting me to try it. :thumbsup:
How does it work? Pull the handle slowly, positive ions are generated, release slowly and negative ions are generated. Neutralizes much of the static the record builds up.

http://selectsoundandvision.co.uk/images/Zerostat_blue.jpg
Neat trick, I will have to try it.

Of course the ray gun works, hairs fall right off (I have a cat).

I pull slowly and release slowly about a foot from the surface. However I seem to recall having seen someone, somewhere triggering one three or four times very quickly as if it were some new way of using it.

The freaky thing is when you first get one, darn thing does not want to pull back, when it finally does it makes a crack sound like you just broke it. They never noted this in the original instructions I read back in the early 1980's. I didn't buy one of myself until 12 years ago.

f1 fan
12-31-2009, 01:06 AM
Neat trick!

Dave

vintage_tube
12-31-2009, 09:10 AM
Had one year ago & sold it. However, there has been ocassions where I wish I still had it & it wasn't until I received the Tom Petty Live Anthology Box set -- very, very staticy.

So, as I was ordering a stash of vinyl off themusic.com, I saw they carried them and pulled the trigger. Once I receive it, it's a keeper this time. $99.00

tjnif
01-04-2010, 07:41 PM
I used to bring mine to school and zap people!! That was in the late 70's early 80's now you would get expelled and arrested!!

thughes
01-04-2010, 10:05 PM
Once I receive it, it's a keeper this time. $99.00

Jeff at AV Solutions here on AA may be able to do better than the $99.

vintage_tube
01-04-2010, 10:13 PM
Jeff at AV Solutions here on AA may be able to do better than the $99.

I was on themusic.com & loaded up w/vinyl and saw the Zerostat -- so included it since they offered free shipping on orders over $XXX.00. I have seen it since them for $20 less -- but then add $9.50 for mailing -- mox nix, I say (either they get you coming or going -- this time w/the zerostat --it was coming).

Thanks for the suggestion, though.:yes:

Bob