PDA

View Full Version : VPI Classic price going up...$2500 to $2750

cmalak
03-26-2010, 09:14 PM
http://www.thecableco.com/emailnewsletter032210.php

From the demand this table is getting, I am surprised the price increase is not even more.

audiosoul
03-30-2010, 12:29 AM
http://www.thecableco.com/emailnewsletter032210.php

From the demand this table is getting, I am surprised the price increase is not even more.

It should be less. If they are selling that many, that means they are making money on volume......:thumbsup:

jdandy
03-30-2010, 12:36 AM
Cyril.......Better grab one before they get completely out of reach. :yes:

http://images.patronmail.com/pmailemailimages/915/245829/articles_4.jpg?salt=67d9e0ea04b52768

cmalak
03-30-2010, 12:38 AM
Audiosoul...i wish it works that way...you price to the market. more demand, same supply (don't think harry Weisfeld is interested in expanding production as he is interested in maintaining quality), so price goes up.

cmalak
03-30-2010, 12:40 AM
Dan...I am trying. Just waiting to be able to hear it before deciding yea or nea. Will not buy it without getting to listen to it before hand.

jdandy
03-30-2010, 11:38 AM
Dan...I am trying. Just waiting to be able to hear it before deciding yea or nea. Will not buy it without getting to listen to it before hand.

Cyril.......I completely understand. Between the price of the VPI Classic and a Benz Micro Glider you are approaching $4K. You want to be sure this expenditure will ring your bell. :yes:

cmalak
03-30-2010, 12:18 PM
Cyril.......I completely understand. Between the price of the VPI Classic and a Benz Micro Glider you are approaching $4K. You want to be sure this expenditure will ring your bell. :yes:

+1 :thumbsup:

AudioNut
03-30-2010, 12:42 PM
Cyril,

I saw and heard a new VPI Aires 3 TT last week and thought it the best looking and certainly one of the best sounding turntables I've ever heard. Twice the price of the Classic though - and Harry Pearson did say that the Classic was probably the best sounding of all of Westfields designs. So, I'd say,

Go For It !!!

cmalak
03-30-2010, 01:48 PM
Julian...thanks for the encouragement. I'd rather wait and hear the unit rather than order and potentially be disappointed and have to go through hassle of reselling and so on.

PHC1
03-30-2010, 03:10 PM
Cyril, from what I've heard about the Classic so far is that it is a departure from the typical VPI tables that used to sound a bit on the darker side. This table is supposed to be a bit more neutral sounding, a bit more incisive with a more extraverted personality. I myself enjoy richness of tone but a dynamic and resolving enough type of sound where I am neither bored nor cringe from the leanness and sterility. In that sense, I've kind of liked the older VPI tables I've heard over the years. My friends Aries III with JMW9 and a cart I don't recall now sounded exactly like what I am describing. If the Classic is a radical departure from that, I for one would not be interested. Be sure you like it!

I can vouch for the Clearaudio tables, although I was a bit apprehensive going with a Clearaudio table thinking it would be a lean, sterile, detail oriented type of sonic signature, it was nothing like that and I was plesantly surprised. Both the Maestro Wood and Dynavector XX2MKII were rich and smooth sounding with the XX2 bringing on a whole new level of dynamic slam and micro-details but sounding just as rich and musical as the Maestro Wood. I could not ask for much more and was seriously blown away once I got familiar with the table, what it needed for a platform, the center weight and played around with VTA and VTF with both cartridges as well as loading for both and a few other tweaks such as the periphery clamp and setting up the cartridges with microscopic precision with the help of MintLP and Dr.Feickert protractors.

One other thing I like about Clearaudio is the finish. It looks modern, clean and well built. I hope you find the Classic to be in the same league.... I had one on order but after being called twice and asked if I don't mind blemishes in the wood and other little imperfections, I gave up on the idea of the Classic.

cmalak
03-30-2010, 03:35 PM
Thx for the feedback Serge. :thumbsup: I will let you all know what happens once I have a chance to listen to the Classic properly setup.

AudioNut
03-30-2010, 09:14 PM
Cyril,

It is not a Classic, but there is a VPI Scoutmaster - that the owner claims is used but in excellent shape on Audiogon for $1385.00 - just listed today.

A good turntable at an excellent price.

Julian

cmalak
03-30-2010, 10:09 PM
thx for the heads up Julian.

gtubes
09-12-2010, 05:58 PM
Hi Cyril, any progress with your VPI Classic pursuit? Greg

cmalak
09-12-2010, 06:10 PM
Hey Greg...I have listened to it at my dealer and it is a nice sounding table. I heard it with Benz Micro Glider SL cartiridge and a Nagra BPS phono.
They have a used but mint Basis 2001 with Graham 2.2 tonearm that is a bit more than the Classic but their vinyl guy thinks it is worth a listen vs. the VPI. I have not yet had a chance to do the comparison yet but when I do, I will make the final decision. Are you considering the Classic Greg?

gtubes
09-12-2010, 09:02 PM
Thx Cyril, eventually yes. It's a clean looking and from what I hear a detailed/clean, warm sounding spinner (without breaking the bank). I did hear a Graham tonearm with a Benz Silver cart on the new Clearaudio Performance tt when the Performance first came out. The entry level cart on that table surprised me, can't recall the phono used though. The Micro Glider SL through a Nagra phono is definitely worth the comparison I think, let us know! Greg

cmalak
09-12-2010, 11:55 PM
Greg...I will definitely post my impressions once I have had a chance to compare the VPI Classic to the Basis/Phantom combo. I just moved into a new place and the acoustics are still a bit challenging. I cannot apply any room treatments as this is a living room setup so I am focused on getting the speaker/room interaction optimized before I get the turntable set up. Will let you know how it goes :thumbsup:

Puma Cat
09-14-2010, 04:36 PM
I know my own views will not be particularly popular with everyone here, but I am not a fan of VPI turntables. I've only heard the Scout and Scoutmaster, but those two TTs drive me out of the room; I find them dry, sterile, and analytical. Hopefully the Classic is not like that, but having not heard one, I can't say.

As for Clearaudio, I am certainly impressed with my entry-level Concept. It's not at the level of my Gyro SE/SME V, but it is quite impressive for what it is, and I would expect it will come it's own "classic".

PHC1, I would welcome any additional comments you had about the Maestro Wood and Dynavector XX2MkII.

cmalak
09-14-2010, 08:04 PM
Puma...I was not a fan of the VPI Scout at all. It was boring and lean sounding. The Classic to me had an involving hook into the music and got your foot tapping. Tonal balance will depend on the cartridge you use and how you load it but with the Benz Micro Glider SL and the Nagra BPS phono, it sounded tonally neutral across the frequency band. Timbres were naturally reproduced. I thought it was a nice table for the money. But I am open to all possibilities. I am glad you like your Clearaudio Concept and thanks for sharing your experience with it. I don't think there are any diehard VPI fans here so no need for you to mince your words (no need even if there were VPI diehard fans :D)

Justin
10-11-2010, 06:02 PM
Im not a diehard fan, yet I purchased the vpi classic 30th anniversary. So far so good! Not one bit boring or lean sounding. Very laid back, yet handles everything I have thrown at it well. Suprise's me day to day. Some thing I havent read anywhere I would like to mention. The tonearm is well damped, havent noticed any feedback into my sytem. Also the gloat about it being by all the big woofers and no feedback is no lie. I have my table in between 8 12" woofers and I hear nothing.

Its a great table. Im in the air on cartridges right now. Havent swaped to many in or out. So I cant really help with that situation.

Regards,
Justin

cmalak
10-11-2010, 08:22 PM
Justin...what cartridge are you using? What about phono pre? Thx for sharing your experience with it.

jwhite613
11-24-2010, 10:47 PM
:thumbsup:I recently talked to VPI asking about the settings on the c2300 phono stage with my cartridge and table. They stated that the c2300 was the pre they were currently using with their classic and were quite impressed.

Jeff

KahunaCanuck
12-31-2010, 03:59 AM
I'm luvin my VPI!
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c249/KahunaCanuck/Audio%20Video/99cfe402.jpg

Just upgraded to the VTA on the fly adjustment (now included with the Classic 2), adjusted everything with my Fosgometer and am diggin the vinyl!

joe1515
12-31-2010, 09:45 AM
I'm luvin my VPI!
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c249/KahunaCanuck/Audio%20Video/99cfe402.jpg

Just upgraded to the VTA on the fly adjustment (now included with the Classic 2), adjusted everything with my Fosgometer and am diggin the vinyl!

Did you do the upgrade yourself? I was contemplating adding the VTA to my classic as well. I spoke to Mike at VPI and he said the kit they sell makes it very easy to do.

Joe

KahunaCanuck
12-31-2010, 02:44 PM
Yes, my Brother helped, I think if you are somewhat adept at drilling etc., it is a pretty easy process. Good luck!

joe1515
12-31-2010, 06:11 PM
Yes, my Brother helped, I think if you are somewhat adept at drilling etc., it is a pretty easy process. Good luck!

O.K. thanks. That will probably be next upgrade, I have the ring clamp, center weight, and SDS. Have you noticed much of a difference?

Joe

KahunaCanuck
12-31-2010, 09:49 PM
I did the upgrade when I changed over to the Fosgate phono pre and haven't been able to stop long enough to switch it back to the C500t phono. That said, my TT has never been so dialed in, and I am really enjoying my vinyl more than ever...so in my book if I feel that way, it was worth it!

When I had my wife listening I switched to the Olive 4HD playing a 24 bit/192 track after a record, and she immediately said, it sounds so flat compared to the record...she never said that before!

Still-One
12-31-2010, 09:53 PM
I just saw an ad for the Classic 3. Anyone know what the changes are?

joe1515
12-31-2010, 10:58 PM
I just saw an ad for the Classic 3. Anyone know what the changes are?

The platter is thicker

New feet

A new stainless steel arm-tube, bearing assembly, base mounting

The periphery ring clamp and center weight are included.

The table is heavier

The finish is piano black

VTA comes standard

I love the sound of my classic so I am interested to read the reviews to see how much better the table sounds. I am not a fan of the piano black, my table is in walnut. I love the vintage look.

Joe

Still-One
12-31-2010, 11:11 PM
The platter is thicker

New feet

A new stainless steel arm-tube, bearing assembly, base mounting

The periphery ring clamp and center weight are included.

The table is heavier

The finish is piano black

VTA comes standard

I love the sound of my classic so I am interested to read the reviews to see how much better the table sounds. I am not a fan of the piano black, my table is in walnut. I love the vintage look.

Joe
Thanks Joe. :thumbsup: