PDA

View Full Version : Vinyl newb

Gordon
04-19-2009, 04:20 PM
OK. Reading all over the net has convinced me to at least try spinning vinyl. I have one record one of my kids gave me. I grew up on vinyl but gave it up many years ago.

I'd like to try it again but not sure if it is for me. I'd hate to start very cheap and not pursue it any longer, nor do I want to invest many dollars and find out it still is not for me.

What/where is a good starting point for a guy like me? Could you recommend a table that has the possibility of upgrading should I find the vinyl appealing?

Gordon

80B
04-19-2009, 04:46 PM
The Rega P3-24 is a great table, with a Elys cartridge, runs about $1,100 MSRP. Here's Fremer's review from last summer:

http://www.stereophile.com/turntables/708rega/

I've been happy with mine for my needs, and was very impressed with what it can do compared to the last one I owned in the early '80s. It's a revamped model that came out sometime about the beginning of last year. I like vinyl, but am not up and down every 20 minutes changing disks, and know that it will never be my primary source. There are other TTs in this price range that are good performers too, so check out what you can. Some guys here have really impressive setups, but if your vinyl collection is likely to remain modest (as mine is), then the Rega is a great performer that leaves resources for other parts of the system.

1KW
04-19-2009, 07:25 PM
Technic SL1200 MK5 about $450, Audio Technica AT44MLA lists for $199 but you can find for about $110. I am using this set up now as I had the same concerns you have. Do a google search on the internet on this turntable a lot of good things have been written about it, over 2 million have been sold since the MK2 came out around 1980's.

2-Channel
04-19-2009, 08:58 PM
What/where is a good starting point for a guy like me?

I would suggest that you do lots of in-store auditions. Find some TT's in your price range [including the cartridge, phono preamp, and cables] and listen to these vinyl playback options on store stereo systems that come close to the level of equipment that you presently own.

Buy one or two new albums of music that you would plan to listen to using a TT. For me, it would strictly be music from the 60's, 70's, and 80's. The same music that I grew up with using a TT. Anything new, we'd buy the CD or SACD. Be sure to buy [or own] the same music on CD so you can compare the two versions at the store demo's.

Listen, listen, and listen ... see if you like the sound, the effort involved in vinyl playback, and the difference between vinyl and CD using the same music.

That way, your financial investment is two albums. Period. I am fairly confident that you will easily decide if vinyl is for you.

Keep us posted.

Jerome W
04-20-2009, 12:17 PM
I'll second a Rega choice, more than the Technics....
A "small" Clearaudio Emotion can also be good.
Best : buy a used LP12 / Ariston / Systemdeck / Audio Note / Thorens ( any suspended TT ) in good shape for the same price !!