PDA

View Full Version : What Classical Music Are You Listening To Tonight?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 [39] 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98

cma29
07-05-2013, 09:27 PM
Thanks for the info. I was hoping for a 24/96 download. I will check out Presto. I have been using eClassical and Channel Classics a lot for digital downloads. I don't even have a CD player in my system.

Your CD won't really be 24/96. Redbook CDs are limited to 16/44. Probably it was mastered from 24/96 and then down-converted for mastering to CD. The bit rate of a standard CD maxes out at 1411 kbps (= 2 channels x 16 bits x 44.1 Khz sampling freq.). FYI :music:

Dean - your response got me thinking about resolution. The DAC in the Esoteric can handle signals up to a least 192kHz, maybe more. I guess that would give me 4x the resolution I now get from red book CDs. I wonder what I'm missing by only using CDs.

I need to try downloading a hi rez file, transfer it to a USB and plug it to the DAC to see how it works and sounds. Need to educate myself on this....

Josquin des Prez
07-05-2013, 09:57 PM
You are right about the 24 to 16 bit down conversion. Thanks for the explanation.

Surprising that some red book CDs with a low bit rate sound so much better than some SACDs with much denser bit rates. I guess the recording engineer's skills still comes into play which is a good thing.

Mastering is everything. That's true for analog and digital both.

Dean - your response got me thinking about resolution. The DAC in the Esoteric can handle signals up to a least 192kHz, maybe more. I guess that would give me 4x the resolution I now get from red book CDs. I wonder what I'm missing by only using CDs.

I need to try downloading a hi rez file, transfer it to a USB and plug it to the DAC to see how it works and sounds. Need to educate myself on this....

I think 24/96 is better than Redbook CD audio, but I have yet to be convinced that 24/192 adds anything beneficial over 24/96. I am at about the point where I will save the extra they charge for 24/192 and just stick to 24/96.

FWIW: my wife and I home auditioned a $4K T+A SACD player. We took some DSD-sourced hybrid SACDs from Harmonia Mundi France (which are excellently mastered and produced). We compared the SACD on the T+A against the Redbook layer ripped and streamed to my Naim. The comparison was blind for my wife but not for me. I thought the SACD was very marginally better in the midrange, but that was it. My wife thought the streamed 16/44 audio was noticeably better.

cma29
07-05-2013, 11:12 PM
Mastering is everything. That's true for analog and digital both.

I think 24/96 is better than Redbook CD audio, but I have yet to be convinced that 24/192 adds anything beneficial over 24/96. I am at about the point where I will save the extra they charge for 24/192 and just stick to 24/96.

FWIW: my wife and I home auditioned a $4K T+A SACD player. We took some DSD-sourced hybrid SACDs from Harmonia Mundi France (which are excellently mastered and produced). We compared the SACD on the T+A against the Redbook layer ripped and streamed to my Naim. The comparison was blind for my wife but not for me. I thought the SACD was very marginally better in the midrange, but that was it. My wife thought the streamed 16/44 audio was noticeably better.

Thanks for your thoughts, Dean. I'll look into a trying a few 24/96 files to see how it works. The double-blind tests with the T+A SACD player sound interesting. It looks like you trusted your own ears and saved yourself a lot of money. :thumbsup:

bart
07-06-2013, 02:37 PM
Franz Liszt - Pièces Tardives
Jos Van Immerseel, Erard pianos
Sergei Istomin, cello

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51Cduw5iNiL.jpg http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51lzJsvu6xL.jpg

A fine disc with very intense music from the last years of Liszt's career.
Recorded in the Concertgebouw Brugge, where we spend so much glorious time...

I like this review from Amazon:

Jos van Immerseel has pushed period instrument interpretation to the late nineteenth century, both orchestral music with his ensemble Anima Eterna and solo or duo piano repertoire. This disc contains pieces by Ferenc Liszt for piano solo intermixed with works for cello and piano. Interestingly, van Immerseel has opted for different a piano for the solo pieces (an Erard 1886 concert grand) to the chamber works (a smaller Erard of 1897). Sergei Istomin utilises an anonymous Bohemian cello from eighteenth century, presumably with a late nineteenth century set-up although the notes make no mention of this.
The pieces recorded here are from Liszt's later years, although some of the cello pieces are based on earlier piano works. For the most part, the mood of this CD is rather sombre and there is little in the way of virtuoso exuberance. The notes helpfully suggest that this reflects Liszt's growing obsession with death and titles such as 'Abschied' (Farewell) and 'At Richard Wagner's Tomb' confirm this. The only exception is 'Czardas obstinee', which is rather more upbeat piece with a dance-like rhythm and is true piano masterpiece. The compositions are all very deliberately expressive and that is how they are treated here. The solo works often look forward to the twentieth century with a tendency towards atonality. The cello works are generally more lyrical but still restrained, and the choice of a lighter piano sound here is a good decision.
This disc may not be to everyone's taste and is homogeneous in mood rather than survey of the music of Liszt. But the sound quality and playing are both excellent, and the historical instruments only add to the ambience of the recording. Highly recommended if you can take the lugubrious mood.

Josquin des Prez
07-06-2013, 03:49 PM
This has always been my favorite performance and recordings of one of my favorite romantic symphonies. I have the original DG issue, but today I picked up a new copy. Clearaudio remastered this from the original analog tapes, keeping the entire mastering chain in the analog domain (the way it should be done). I've been listening to it this afternoon and, just Wow!, this really sounds fantastic. Like a veil has been lifted. It sounds more open and dynamic, and resolves more detail. Very nice. I think I will order some more Clearaudio DG remasters.

Antonin Dvorak, "Symphony No. 9 'From the New World'"
Rafael Kubelik, Berliner Philharmoniker
Deutsche Grammophon 2530 415 (Clearaudio vinyl remaster)

http://store.acousticsounds.com/images/large/UDGR_2530415__92761__06252013093508-7485.jpg

cma29
07-06-2013, 04:16 PM
This has always been my favorite performance and recordings of one of my favorite romantic symphonies. I have the original DG issue, but today I picked up a new copy. Clearaudio remastered this from the original analog tapes, keeping the entire mastering chain in the analog domain (the way it should be done). I've been listening to it this afternoon and, just Wow!, this really sounds fantastic. Like a veil has been lifted. It sounds more open and dynamic, and resolves more detail. Very nice. I think I will order some more Clearaudio DG remasters.

:thumbsup:

This 1970s Dvorak/Kubelik/BPO release is widely regarded as the top choice for the New World Symphony. Actually, I have in my Presto cart ready for check out. I'm getting the DG Originals remaster on CD.

Josquin des Prez
07-06-2013, 04:21 PM

This 1970s Dvorak/Kubelik/BPO release is considered by many as the top choice for the New World Symphony. Actually, I have in my Presto cart ready for check out. I'm getting the DG Originals remaster in CD.

For good reason. It's one of those rare magical recordings. Everything is right: composition, performance, recording and mastering. It all came together in a great way.

Toccata
07-06-2013, 04:25 PM

Deutsche Grammophon 2530 415 (Clearaudio remaster)

http://store.acousticsounds.com/images/large/UDGR_2530415__92761__06252013093508-7485.jpg

Does Clearaudio buy the original mastertapes from DG? Seems like that would be rather expensive! Are you sure they use the original tapes?

Josquin des Prez
07-06-2013, 04:36 PM
Does Clearaudio buy the original mastertapes from DG? Seems like that would be rather expensive! Are you sure they use the original tapes?Yes they do use the original analog tapes. I asked Musical Surroundings and they asked Clearaudio for me. They don't buy the tapes. They lease the tapes from the labels and pay licensing for the reissues. This is no different than what Analogue Productions, Music Matters, Speakers Corner, ORG, Mofi, and others do.

Some of the lesser reissue labels use digital copies of masters (labels are very protective of analog originals and won't lease them to just anyone). There is a lot of that too, but I avoid those reissues. Then there are the dubious reissue labels that use CDs as masters for public domain works (like jazz from the 50s). Those are to be avoided completely, unless you don't care about getting junk.

I mostly don't get so excited as everyone else about Japanese pressings. While the pressing quality may be great, they are almost always from second generation sources. Labels like EMI, et al. don't want to ship their original tapes around the world. Too much risk. That's what I've been told by industry insiders.

cma29
07-06-2013, 04:48 PM
I mostly don't get so excited as everyone else about Japanese pressings. While the pressing quality may be great, they are almost always from second generation sources. Labels like EMI, et al. don't want to ship their original tapes around the world. Too much risk. That's what I've been told by industry insiders.

Good points, Dean.

I wonder how good some of those Japanese Esoteric SACD remasters really are. They are very expensive at about $70 per release.

bart
07-06-2013, 05:02 PM

Deutsche Grammophon 2530 415 (Clearaudio remaster)

Dean, I have this on CD.
A new remaster which gets the highest praise, but it doesn't convince me.
I read a couple of reviews that even this newly remastered CD disappoints compared to the LP. They might just be right when I read your review now.
I compared my three versions of this symphony a while ago in thsi thread.
I preferred the Reiner (performance 5/5 - sound 4/5, I maybe like it to be played a little faster? Kubelik is 3' slower), and then came Fischer (performance 4,5/5 - sound 5/5).

Josquin des Prez
07-06-2013, 05:41 PM
Dean, I have this on CD.
A new remaster which gets the highest praise, but it doesn't convince me.
I read a couple of reviews that even this newly remastered CD disappoints compared to the LP. They might just be right when I read your review now.
I compared my three versions of this symphony a while ago in thsi thread.
I preferred the Reiner (performance 5/5 - sound 4/5, I maybe like it to be played a little faster? Kubelik is 3' slower), and then came Fischer (performance 4,5/5 - sound 5/5).

The remaster is vinyl, in case that wasn't clear. I just don't think a CD can do this the justice it deserves. The vinyl is so good sounding. I mostly find CDs of symphonic music pretty disappointing compared to well-mastered vinyl.

I am curious about the Channel Classics Fischer/Budapest Dvorak 8/9. I may still pick it up, but as a high res download, not on CD.

cma29
07-06-2013, 06:28 PM
The remaster is vinyl, in case that wasn't clear. I just don't think a CD can do this the justice it deserves. The vinyl is so good sounding. I mostly find CDs of symphonic music pretty disappointing compared to well-mastered vinyl.

I am curious about the Channel Classics Fischer/Budapest Dvorak 8/9. I may still pick it up, but as a high res download, not on CD.

Dean, I need to come to your place to hear what vinyl can sound like (sorry, I'm inviting myself over).

I've never ever heard a turntable through a high-end system. I'm happy with the sound I get out my CDs and SACDs, but maybe I'm missing something big. This could be dangerous....

Josquin des Prez
07-06-2013, 07:23 PM
Dean, I need to come to your place to hear what vinyl can sound like (sorry, I'm inviting myself over).

I've never ever heard a turntable through a high-end system. I'm happy with the sound I get out my CDs and SACDs, but maybe I'm missing something big. This could be dangerous....

Yes, young Padawan...from the dark side, save you I can. :D

cma29
07-06-2013, 09:27 PM
Yes, young Padawan...from the dark side, save you I can. :D

Thank you, master. I'm hearing the analog siren song already...

Toccata
07-06-2013, 10:26 PM
Lasse Thorensen's Concerto for Two Cellos and Symphonic Violin Concerto. His style is hard to describe--he likes dark sounds, and often the orchestra almost sounds as if it's a synthesizer, then suddenly a melody will break loose! Both certainly have some striking sonorities and sound devilishly difficult to play, but I'm not sure about their musical worth--might take a few more listens. Very good RBCD sound.

http://d3d71ba2asa5oz.cloudfront.net/62000501/images/7044581350089__1.jpg

cma29
07-07-2013, 01:04 AM
Just heard...

Mahler: Symphony No. 6, Claudio Abbado, Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra, SACD

http://sa-cd.net/covers/2888.jpg

This 6th is supposed to be a top choice and it sounded exciting in places, but I just cannot get into Mahler's music. Might be an acquired taste, but I'll keep trying. Next on the queue: the 1st, the 5th or the 9th.

Don C
07-07-2013, 01:58 AM
Just heard...

This 6th is supposed to be a top choice and it sounded exciting in places, but I just cannot get into Mahler's music. Might be an acquired taste, but I'll keep trying. Next on the queue: the 1st, the 5th or the 9th.

I think the 1st and the 5th (in that order) are the most accessible Mahler symphonies, and possibly the best doorway in to Mahler. Check out PBS.org for Michael Tilson Thomas' explanation of the 1st with the San Fransisco Sym. It's very well done and in HD, I think.

AudioNut
07-07-2013, 08:24 AM
Bart,
For SACD check out the Linn recording

Scottish Chamber Orchestra, Robin Ticciati

http://i.prs.to/t_200/linnckd400.jpg

For sheer sonic impact, check out the following from Reference Recordings. The last movement can shake your house if you can reproduce the bass. It's crazy in a good way.

Utah Symphony Orchestra, Varujan Kojian

http://i.prs.to/t_200/referencerecordingsrr11.jpg

Your local orchestra (Anima Eterna, Jos van Immerseel) has a good version too. It was the Gramophone Magazine Disc of the Month for May 2010:

http://i.prs.to/t_200/zigzagzzt100101.jpg

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm a Berlioz fanatic and I have several recordings of this fabulous work on LP. CD and SACD, but I'm drawn back to, and prefer, the 1974 Philips LP recording by Colin Davis (before he was "Sir") Concertgebouw/Amsterdam version for its sheer musicality. Sir Colin Davis recorded this music four times and this is the one I like best.

http://static.rateyourmusic.com/album_images/e96f4b608625f54f14b3dab929175307/1054813.jpg

This recording has been issued on SACD by Philips and by Pentatone, but I've not heard either and can't comment - but I'll bet they are good. - especially the Pentatone version!

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51XkjYsGZWL.jpg . . . . http://www.sa-cd.net/covers/2687.jpg

cma29
07-07-2013, 10:05 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm a Berlioz fanatic and I have several recordings of this fabulous work on LP. CD and SACD, but I'm drawn back to, and prefer, the 1974 Philips LP recording by Colin Davis (before he was "Sir") Concertgebouw/Amsterdam version for its sheer musicality. Sir Colin Davis recorded this music four times and this is the one I like best.

This recording has been issued on SACD by Philips and by Pentatone, but I've not heard either and can't comment - but I'll bet they are good. - especially the Pentatone version!

. . . .

Hi, Julian. We missed your wisdom here during the past few days. Yes, Colin Davis is widely regarded as the #1 conductor for all things Berlioz. I've not heard the RCO version, but I'm sure it's very good.

One of Sir Colin's last recordings was Berlioz's Grande Messe des Morts, Op. 5 (Requiem) recorded in St Paul’s Cathedral. A fitting tribute to his life-long association with Berlioz. It is recommended by Gramophone.
http://i.prs.to/t_200/lsolivelso0729.jpg
http://youtu.be/0j59aElISNk

cma29
07-07-2013, 11:18 AM
I think the 1st and the 5th (in that order) are the most accessible Mahler symphonies, and possibly the best doorway in to Mahler. Check out PBS.org for Michael Tilson Thomas' explanation of the 1st with the San Fransisco Sym. It's very well done and in HD, I think.

Thanks, DC. I'll start with #1 and look for that PBS video.

Josquin des Prez
07-07-2013, 11:21 AM
Just heard...

I would add the 2nd as a great entry point to Mahler Symphonies.

I really like Fischer/Budapest Mahler 1 and 2 on Channel Classics. Other than that I like my old Solti/LSO on Decca (on those funny looking big black discs).

bart
07-07-2013, 11:48 AM

http://static.rateyourmusic.com/album_images/e96f4b608625f54f14b3dab929175307/1054813.jpg

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51XkjYsGZWL.jpg . . . . http://www.sa-cd.net/covers/2687.jpg

Thank you Julian!
I know you are a Berlioz fan, so I'm happy with your advice.
I might have posted this before, but anyway, this is my oldest daughter in 2007, at the grave of our beloved composer...

http://www.audioaficionado.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=28001&d=1373211941

Audiofan1
07-07-2013, 03:15 PM
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51syPyRfMVL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Nice to see fellow Berlioz lovers here, funny thing I woke up this morning with an unusual choice only to find a discussion here, I grabbed a cup of coffee and queued up "Requiem" Charles munch and the BSO Living Stereo sacd which puts many modern recordings to shame and with a timeless performance which indeed makes it hard to better.

cma29
07-07-2013, 05:26 PM
Changing gears and waiting for the babysitter before my wife and I go out to celebrate our anniversary, listening to....

Boyce: Symphonies Nos. 1-8, Op. 2, The English Concert, Trevor Pinnock

http://i.prs.to/t_200/28941963123.jpg

William Boyce was an English composer from the 18th century. These eight Symphonys (his own spelling) aren't symphonies in the modern sense, but a collection of overtures for theater pieces and court odes. The music is delightful and the performances are crisp. Top-shelf Archiv redbook CD sound.

cma29
07-07-2013, 11:04 PM
The post quoted above was my first classical music post when I started this thread, three years and almost 9500 posts ago . . . and I'm listening to MISSA CAROLLA again this morning . . . . and have probably listened to it 200 times over the twenty years or so that I've owned it. It is that good.

Carreras was in great voice - preceding his treatment for cancer - the choir is excellent as is the orchestration. The recording is spacious, three dimensional, with superior soundstaging.

A great "show off" album, and, as a matter of fact, I bought a pair of speakers, partially as a result of having had this recording demoed over them and being mightily impressed (huge pair of Genesis 200's)

Ariel Ramirez - Missa Criolla (Creole Mass)
Navidad en Verano
Navidad Nuestra

Jose Carreras - Tenor
Coral Salve de Laredo
Sociedad Coral de Bilbao
Conducted by Jose Luis Ocejo

A Philips CD, Recorded in the Santuario de la Bien Aparecida, Cantabria, Spain in 1987

http://www.tivolihifi.com/sites/default/files/imagecache/product_full/misa_criolla-jose_carreras.jpg

Julian - I'm ordering the Misa Criolla tonight based on your recommendation. Heard the samples and really liked it.

cma29
07-08-2013, 11:14 AM
Starting off the week in a good mood with

Handel:
Music for the Royal Fireworks, HWV351
Concerto a due cori in F major, HWV 334
Concerto a due cori No. 1 in B flat major HWV 332
Concerto a due cori in F major, HWV 333

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51J8NqAvK9L._SX300_.jpg

I love Handel's Music for the Royal Fireworks and this is a distinguished performance by Zefiro, an Italian period group that emphasizes wind instruments. There are several other good recordings available, but this zesty and fluid performance is a welcome change from readings in which everything is hammered home mercilessly.
Handel arranged the concerti a due cori for orchestra and two 'choirs' of woodwind and brass. These were intended as the introductory music in oratorio concerts. These performances exploit an enjoyable range of wind instrumental colors. Sound is excellent, but note that the recording was made outside in a cloisters so there is no hall acoustic signature or resonance.

cma29
07-08-2013, 02:40 PM
Moving on from the Baroque to the Classical period...

Haydn: Cello Concerti 1 & 2, Symphony 22

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51udkJXcL2L._SX300_.jpghttp://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51JJuda4LmL._SX300_.jpg

One of my favorite cello concerti is the Cello Concerto No. 2 in D major by Haydn. My introduction to it was by Yo-Yo Ma. Based on that, I wanted to explore Haydn's other concerto. I found this SACD out of the Czech Republic (Praga Digitals label) which includes both concerti plus the charming Symphony #22. The interpretation and the sound are delightful. The orchestra is the Prague Chamber Orchestra (same orchestra that did the Mozart Symphony cycle on Telarc with Mackerras) and the soloist is Michal Kanka. I like it.

cma29
07-08-2013, 03:17 PM
Handel: Dixit Dominus, Balthasar Neumann Chor, Balthasar Neumann Ensemble, Thomas Hengelbrock (conductor)

http://sa-cd.net/covers/2029.jpg

I had high hopes for this SACD, but the recording is too dull and keeps me from enjoying the music. I'm donating this disc to the library. Avoid.

radio times
07-08-2013, 03:30 PM
Beethoven's 6th. First time in years, used to be besotted by it.

cma29
07-08-2013, 03:51 PM
Beethoven's 6th. First time in years, used to be besotted by it.

Nice music. Which version?

This one is sublime: Beethoven, Symphony No. 6 in F major, Op. 68 'Pastoral', Wiener Philharmoniker, Karl Böhm

http://i.prs.to/t_200/dg4474332.jpg

Toccata
07-08-2013, 04:38 PM
Whoa--Geza Anda plays the daylights out of Bartok's Piano Concertos! Excellent sound despite the 50+ years since they were recorded. I can see why they are often called the definitive performances. The 2-disc set also includes the Rhapsody for Piano and Orchestra plus a mono recording of the Concerto for Orchestra--haven't listened to the latter two yet. Thanks to Audionut for the original posting.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61B-m2OznxL.jpg

radio times
07-08-2013, 04:52 PM

This one is sublime: Beethoven: Symphony No. 6 in F major, Op. 68 'Pastoral', Wiener Philharmoniker, Karl Böhm

http://i.prs.to/t_200/dg4474332.jpg

Not sure, it was on my DAB walkman but the Karajan Berlin philharmonic from '74 was my go to. I'm sure Bohm's is great as well.

cma29
07-08-2013, 06:53 PM
I would add the 2nd as a great entry point to Mahler Symphonies.

I really like Fischer/Budapest Mahler 1 and 2 on Channel Classics. Other than that I like my old Solti/LSO on Decca (on those funny looking big black discs).

Dean - I ordered the Fischer/Budapest Mahler 1 from Presto last night. Thanks for the recommendation.

Josquin des Prez
07-08-2013, 07:00 PM
Dean - I ordered the Fischer/Budapest Mahler 1 from Presto last night. Thanks for the recommendation.

:thumbsup: Let us know what you think when you have a listen.

Don C
07-08-2013, 09:19 PM

This one is sublime: Beethoven, Symphony No. 6 in F major, Op. 68 'Pastoral', Wiener Philharmoniker, Karl Böhm

I have that Böhm, too. I'm going to have to give it another listen.

Josquin des Prez
07-08-2013, 09:33 PM
Not sure, it was on my DAB walkman but the Karajan Berlin philharmonic from '74 was my go to. I'm sure Bohm's is great as well.

Many -- including me -- think Karajan/BPO's 61/62 cycle is better.

cma29
07-08-2013, 09:50 PM

I like the 9th from the late 70s cycle. Also, I have the full early 60s cycle. Will listen more closely to compare.

(My music buying rate is a bit ahead of my listening rate. Maybe I should stop buying new music until I've heard what I have, but I'm afraid things will go out of print or my circumstances may change so I keep buying.)

GaryProtein
07-08-2013, 09:55 PM
Dvorak Symphonies #6 and #9. On DSD / SACD

Swedish Chamber Orchestra, Thomas Dausgaard conducting.

The performance and recording is spectacular.

cma29
07-08-2013, 10:32 PM
Dvorak Symphonies #6 and #9. On DSD / SACD

Swedish Chamber Orchestra, Thomas Dausgaard conducting.

The performance and recording is spectacular.

That's great. I also recommend a Blu-Ray video of Thomas Dausgaard conducting The Danish National Symphony Orchestra in the new Koncerthuset in Copenhagen. Program is:

Brahms: Symphony No. 1 in C minor, Op. 68
Dvorak: Symphony No. 9 in E minor, Op. 95 'From the New World'
Nielsen: Symphony No. 3, Op. 27 (FS60) 'Sinfonia espansiva'
Sibelius: Symphony No. 5 in E flat major, Op. 82

http://i.prs.to/t_200/cmajor710604.jpg
http://youtu.be/HZQHN2I8irY

I really enjoyed the Brahms #1 and the Dvorak #9. (By the way, Gary - I also do not own a TV. I use a projector for videos)

cma29
07-09-2013, 01:38 PM
Enjoying some Nordic music today...

Greig: Peer Gynt and Holberg Suites and works by Sibelius
Grieg:
Peer Gynt Suite No. 1, Op. 46
Holberg Suite, Op. 40
Peer Gynt Suite No. 2, Op. 55

Sibelius:
Valse Triste, Op. 44 No. 1
Lemminkäinen Suite, Op. 22: The Swan of Tuonela (No. 2)
Finlandia, Op. 26

http://i.prs.to/t_200/dg4390102.jpg

One of the better sounding Karajan/DG efforts from the 1980s I've heard ("Original-Image Bit-Processing" release). Peer Gynt is beautifully done and the orchestral playing is in a class of its own.

bart
07-09-2013, 03:11 PM
"Liszt"
Anima Eterna, Rian de Waal, piano
Conductor: Jos van Immerseel

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51H0QwhEsTL.jpg http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51mxWMmLnaL.jpg

Distributed by Harmonia Mundi, produced by Zig-Zag Territoires, recorded in 2003 in the Concertgebouw Brugge.
Played on an original Erard piano from the impressive collection of Jos van Immerseel.

http://images17.knack.be/images/resized/400/004/050/766/7/500_0_KEEP_RATIO_SHRINK_CENTER_FFFFFF/image/4000040507667.jpg

cma29
07-09-2013, 04:23 PM
Staying with Grieg...

Grieg: Piano Concerto in A minor, Op. 16
Schumann: Piano Concerto in A minor, Op. 54
Leif Ove Andsnes (piano), Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra, Mariss Jansons

http://i.prs.to/t_200/emi5575622.jpg

Gramophone Awards 2004, Record of the Year Finalist
Gramophone Magazine, Disc of the Month - November 2003
Penguin Guide, Rosette Winner

A distinguished version of this common coupling which I very much enjoy. However, sometimes the sound gets congested in the orchestral tuttis.

Josquin des Prez
07-09-2013, 06:30 PM

I have that Böhm, too. I'm going to have to give it another listen.

I broke out my trusty old 1971 Beethoven Edition pressing of this for a listen. Carlos is correct in saying No. 6 is sublime. Very worthy to stand up with the great performances. Now I'm listening to No. 7. That's good also, but it doesn't stand up to Karajan/BPO 61/62 IMHO, especially the second movement where Karajan defines what it means to be sublime. :yes:

I may have to pull out my Furtwängler mono 1952 EMI for a listen too.

cma29
07-09-2013, 10:17 PM
I broke out my trusty old 1971 Beethoven Edition pressing of this for a listen. Carlos is correct in saying No. 6 is sublime. Very worthy to stand up with the great performances. Now I'm listening to No. 7. That's good also, but it doesn't satnd up to Karajan/BPO 61/62 IMHO, especially the second movement where Karajan defines what it means to be sublime. :yes:

I may have to pull out my Furtwängler mono 1952 EMI for a listen too.

Dean -
I'm going to listen to the 1962 Karajan Pastoral. I have the SACD (96kHz/24 bit PCM Stereo). The recording was made at the Jesus-Christus-Kirche, always a good sign.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51FK1H5jSXL._SY300_.jpg

Problem is everyone is home now and I have to listen to it softly (no good). Might have to play it again tomorrow. What I'm hearing so far sounds great.

cma29
07-10-2013, 01:01 PM
Had a rough time last night with my three year old. Now he's at daycare and I'm decompressing by listening to:

Mendelssohn: Symphonies Nos. 3 & 4, Herbert Blomstedt conducting the San Francisco Symphony Orchestra

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51sfxhazNnL._SX300_.jpg

Great Decca redbook sound and nice performances. I enjoyed it.

AudioNut
07-10-2013, 02:33 PM
The piano pictured in a post by Bart (several above this one) reminds me of a piano that belongs to my wife and me and which resides in our "living room".

Our piano is a Chickering and Sons rosewood grand piano - Built in Boston, MA. in 1886. My wife plays it and I just look and listen. "Chickering and Sons was an American piano manufacturer located in Boston, Massachusetts, known for producing award-winning instruments of superb quality and design." The Company was founded in 1823 and the Chickering name is still used by the Baldwin Piano Company on some of their product.

Chickering and Sons was, through most of the 19th century and early 20th century, one of the leaders of American piano building and was the largest builder of high quality American pianos for a number of years.

Bart's piano picture:

http://images17.knack.be/images/resized/400/004/050/766/7/500_0_KEEP_RATIO_SHRINK_CENTER_FFFFFF/image/4000040507667.jpg

Our Chickering 1886 Rosewood Grand Piano:

http://www.audioaficionado.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=28057&d=1373479640

bart
07-10-2013, 02:48 PM
The piano pictured in a post by Bart (several above this one) reminds me of a piano that belongs to my wife and me and which resides in our "living room".

Our piano is a Chickering and Sons rosewood grand piano - Built in Boston, MA. in 1886. My wife plays it and I just look and listen. "Chickering and Sons was an American piano manufacturer located in Boston, Massachusetts, known for producing award-winning instruments of superb quality and design." The Company was founded in 1823 and the Chickering name is still used by the Baldwin Piano Company on some of their product.

Chickering and Sons was, through most of the 19th century and early 20th century, one of the leaders of American piano building and was the largest builder of high quality American pianos for a number of years.

Bart's piano picture:

Our Chickering 1886 Rosewood Grand Piano:

http://www.audioaficionado.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=28057&d=1373479640

Julian, wow, what a beautiful piano you have there!
It's no wonder that they resemble, I think they could have been been made in the same year.

radio times
07-10-2013, 04:40 PM

What a thought, perfection being improved upon. I'll check it out.

AudioNut
07-10-2013, 09:53 PM
Listening to . . . . W. A. Mozart - Complete Sonatas for Keyboard and Violin Volume 7 & 8 - A two SACD set by Channel Classics

Rachel Podger - Baroque Violin
Gary Cooper - Fortepiano

This is one of the nicest series of SACD's it has been my pleasure to listen to. Beautiful music, wonderful performances, superb recording, excellent sound quality.

All eight discs are highly recommended and I think maybe, the disc I'm now playing may be the best of the lot (Volume 7) I love it!

http://cps-static.rovicorp.com/3/JPG_500/MI0002/850/MI0002850180.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

cma29
07-10-2013, 11:21 PM
Now playing

Mozart Piano Concerti 15 & 16, Murray Perahia, English Chamber Orchestra from the Mozart – The Complete Piano Concertos set (DSD remaster)

http://boxset.ru/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/perahia_mozart_the_complete_piano_concertos.jpg

This is magnificent music for late night enjoyment or any other time for that matter. An interpretation of the highest caliber with clear articulation. The 15th is light while the 16th is grander. The recordings are superb. Just listen to the Allegro for the 15th - amazing.

For some reason this DSD remastered set is hard to find now, but I'm glad I got mine while it was available. Sony has abandoned all DSD / SACD efforts it seems.

cma29
07-10-2013, 11:59 PM
Now playing

Mozart Piano Concerti 15 & 16, Murray Perahia, English Chamber Orchestra from the Mozart – The Complete Piano Concertos set (DSD remaster)

http://boxset.ru/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/perahia_mozart_the_complete_piano_concertos.jpg

This is magnificent music for late night enjoyment or any other time for that matter. An interpretation of the highest caliber with clear articulation. The 15th is light while the 16th is grander. The recordings are superb. Just listen to the Allegro for the 15th - amazing.

For some reason this DSD remastered set is hard to find now, but I'm glad I got mine while it was available. Sony has abandoned all DSD / SACD efforts it seems.

Now listening to concerto #5, K175. Wow. This is just amazing music, artistry and recording. How old was Mozart when he wrote it considering he composed 27 piano concerti and died when he was 35? Mind boggling.

AudioNut
07-11-2013, 06:27 AM
Listening to . . . . W. A. Mozart - Complete Sonatas for Keyboard and Violin Volume 8 - from the set I listed in a post four above this one.

A two SACD set by Channel Classics

Rachel Podger - Baroque Violin
Gary Cooper - Harpsichord
Alison McGillivray - Cello

For a change of pace, in this volume, Gary Cooper plays harpsichord, rather than fortepiano, and a cello is added.

I like the fortepiano (and the piano) infinitely better than the harpsichord, but this is a very pleasant performance and, since volume 8 is packaged along with volume 7, "you takes what you can get". If you like harpsichord, you'll love this.

http://www.loganartsmanagement.com/files/GaryCooper_RachelPodger/Cooper-Podger_CDs/Cooper_Podger_Mozart7-8_300s.jpg

Toccata
07-11-2013, 08:20 PM
Superb inb every way:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/512%2BNw2JjNL._SX300_.jpg

(It's an SACD even though the cover doesn't indicate it.)

AudioNut
07-12-2013, 03:55 PM
I don't often get packages from Hungary and was pleased to get one today containing This "Direct Cut Super Audio SACD". Recommended by Toccata and seconded by Kal Rubinson, how could one go wrong. I just got it out of the mailbox and I'm playing this amazing recording now.

Thanks Toccata and Kal . . . . This thing is great!

Listening to . . . . Franz Liszt - Sinistre - Late Piano Works

Peter Toth - Piano

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61LHUe6PG-L._SY450_.jpg . . . . .http://www.saribiro.com/images/winner-portrait-toth.jpg

This "Direct Cut Super Audio SACD" arrived today--wow! Peter Toth's bravura playing is captured in stunning multi-channel sound. I had not heard of him before, but I will certainly seek out more of his recordings! Here is the program:

Fantasie und Fuge über B-A-C-H
Variationen über ein Motiv aus J.S. Bach's Kantate "Weinen, Klagen, Sorgen, Zagen"
Funérailles No. 7 aus den Harmonies poétiques et religieuses
Am Grabe Richard Wagners
Sinistre - Unstern!
Nuages gris - Trübe Wolken

I bought it directly from him through his website for only $20 including shipping!

I thought this one impressive in every way.

P.S.: I reported on this one in 2007. Music in the Round #25 | Stereophile.com (http://www.stereophile.com/musicintheround/707mitr/index.html)

cma29
07-12-2013, 04:19 PM
Winding down the workweek I'm enjoying my favorite symphony in the repertoire...

Beethoven: Symphony No. 3 in E flat major, Op. 55 'Eroica' performed by the Basel Chamber Orchestra, Giovanni Antonini, Hybrid SACD

http://i.prs.to/t_200/sony88697192522.jpg

My top choice for the Eroica is Jordi Savall's awesome interpretation, but this one comes close. The Swiss Basel Chamber Orchestra is not well-known, but this performance is energetic and powerful. The small size of the ensemble allows one to hear the multitude of details in this great score. As an added bonus the DSD recording is excellent. The goose bumps are frequent and intense.

Here is what Gramophone says:

"Here is a musician who understands the Eroica from within, dramatically, logistically and imaginatively. A musician, moreover, who can project that understanding into an orchestral performance that glows white in the furnace. The Marcia funebre is particularly fine with a characteristically forward-moving pulse, finely chiselled phrasing and strikingly 'French' sonorities."

AudioNut
07-12-2013, 05:58 PM
Listening to . . . Jean-Efflam Bavouzet - Ravel, Debussy, Massenet

BBC Symphony Orchestra - Yan Pascal Tortelier, Conductor

includes: . . . Ravel: Concerto in G; Concerto for the Left Hand
Massenet: Six Piano Pieces
Debussy: Fantaisie

A Chandos SACD

The Ravel Concerto for the Left Hand has long been a favorite - played by a pianist with only one hand.

From Wikipedia: The Piano Concerto for the Left Hand in D major was composed by Maurice Ravel between 1929 and 1930, concurrently with his Piano Concerto in G. It was commissioned by the Austrian pianist, Paul Wittgenstein, who lost his right arm during World War I.

Wittgenstein gave the premiere with Robert Heger and the Vienna Symphony Orchestra on 5 January 1932.

Before writing the concerto, Ravel enthusiastically studied the left-hand études of Camille Saint-Saëns.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51UTXYhFhgL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Kal Rubinson
07-12-2013, 06:40 PM
The Ravel Concerto for the Left Hand has long been a favorite - played by a pianist with only one hand.Or played with only the left hand by any pianist. :D

ehoove
07-13-2013, 05:48 AM
This morning:
Cello Concertos
Hayden and Boccherini
Jacqueline du Pre'
EMI Classics 7243 5 69948 28
Just wonderful play, by an amazing cellist!

Regards,
Jim

http://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/images/G/01/ciu/f4/0d/f99f228348a0d430d9e61110.L.jpg

AudioNut
07-13-2013, 07:14 AM
This morning:
Cello Concertos
Hayden and Boccherini
Jacqueline du Pre'
EMI Classics 7243 5 69948 28
Just wonderful play, by an amazing cellist!

Regards,
Jim

http://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/images/G/01/ciu/f4/0d/f99f228348a0d430d9e61110.L.jpg

Hey Jim,

Nice to find you here on a Saturday morning, listening to some very gentle and pleasant music.

J. du Pré died way too young and the world lost a huge talent. I often look at her videos on You Tube, mostly to watch her become one with her cello, totally immersed in, and emotionally tied to, the music she is playing.

Nice way to start the day.

AudioNut
07-13-2013, 07:21 AM
Listening to . . . Antonio Vivaldi - La Viola da Gamba in Concerto

Le Concert des Nations - Jordi Savall - Viola da Gamba and Director

More nice stuff for early morning listening. Savall does it right and this music is near shear perfection.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/617Zzw9Dc%2BL.jpg

AudioNut
07-13-2013, 07:26 AM
Or played with only the left hand by any pianist. :D

Touché !!!

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/0/02/Fencing_pictogram.svg/300px-Fencing_pictogram.svg.png

Josquin des Prez
07-13-2013, 11:44 AM
Thanks for sharing your impressions, Dean. I have not heard the Podger, but like you I have the Suzuki Bach Collegium Japan recording and I really like it. Good interpretation and sound.

I gave the Podger "Bach Double and Triple Concertos" on Channel Classics another listen this morning. I know there is much love for her performances in this space, but I have to conclude that this is really boring. It puts me to sleep, and feels like the musicians were playing this for juried recital, as if they couldn't pick what they wanted to play, so they muddled through what they got.

Bach Collegium Japan is the current ruler of Bach's music, IMHO. Everything they touch turns to gold. I am currently playing their Brandenburg Concertos, my favorite all time performance.

This is a fantastic album on the BIS label.

http://ecstatic.textalk.se/shop/17115/art15/h9767/4719767-origpic-8c4cae.jpg

ehoove
07-13-2013, 12:33 PM
Some afternoon listening at work.

Erich Leinsdorf: Los Angeles Philharmonic Orchestra: Prokofiev: Excerpts from the Ballet: Romeo and Juliet: Complete Un-Edited Performance: Sheffield Lab LP: (1978)

Tremendous recording of these excerpts, that pull you in to the selections. Maybe not the best music for the workplace! :^)

Regards,
Jim

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51GYVZKMWbL._SS500_.jpg

AudioNut
07-13-2013, 04:36 PM
Listening to . . . . Bruch & Dvorak

Antonín Dvořák - Violin Concerto in A minor, Op, 53
Max Bruch - Violin Concerto No. 1 in G minor, Opl 26

Julia Fischer - Violin
Tonhalle-Orchester - Zürich - David Zinman, Conductor

Quite lovely music by the quite lovely Julia Fischer. So many young pretty violinists, but Fischer is an exceptional talent and I like this recording very much.

I don't have a lot of other versions of this music to compare this recording with, but, to me, I am enjoying it so much I see little reason to look any further.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51qutsvosNL.jpg

ehoove
07-13-2013, 07:20 PM
Listening to . . . . Bruch & Dvorak

Antonín Dvořák - Violin Concerto in A minor, Op, 53
Max Bruch - Violin Concerto No. 1 in G minor, Opl 26

Julia Fischer - Violin
Tonhalle-Orchester - Zürich - David Zinman, Conductor

Quite lovely music by the quite lovely Julia Fischer. So many young pretty violinists, but Fischer is an exceptional talent and I like this recording very much.

I don't have a lot of other versions of this music to compare this recording with, but, to me, I am enjoying it so much I see little reason to look any further.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51qutsvosNL.jpg

+1 :thumbsup:
She plays with such Passion and Joy!
Regards,
Jim

ehoove
07-13-2013, 07:27 PM
Tonight something different:
Stokowski
Rhapsodies
Listz - Hungarian Rhapsody No.2
Enesco - Roumanian Rhapsody No.1
Smetana - The Moldau
RCA Victor Red Seal LM2471 Mono (Shaded Dog)
Wonderful Recording, and amazing for mono on the stereo rig!
Regards,
Jim

http://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/images/G/01/ciu/4a/33/a3ebb220dca0bb98a8572010.L.jpg

cma29
07-14-2013, 12:13 AM
I've been listening to more Beethoven after one of our fellow members brought up the Pastoral symphony.

For me, the Beethoven's symphonies are the pinnacle of the symphonic repertoire and I absolutely love listening to them.

One of the recordings I've heard recently that I'd like to highlight is:

Live at Carnegie Hall: Beethoven Symphonies 5 & 7, John Elliot Gardiner, Orchestre Révolutionnaire et Romantique

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41848qQ1CyL._SX300__PJautoripBadge,BottomRight,4,-40_OU11__.jpg

I recommend you listen to Symphony #7. The interpretation and the playing during the last movement is some of the most impressive I've heard. The tempo is fast and furious, the tension never lets up and the coda explodes into an absolutely thrilling climax with brazen horns dominating. This is a live performance, but I can't believe there was no applause after it. It must been edited out. Wow.

Josquin des Prez
07-14-2013, 12:20 AM
I managed to pick up a very fine recording of one of my favorite works and the benchmark performance of it. It arrived today. I think this is perhaps one of the most under-appreciated masterpieces of the 20th century. Every moment of this work is gripping, and Reiner's performance (he was a personal friend of Bartok and premiered this work) is superb.

I also have an original shaded dog mono, but I like this one better.

Today I ordered a new phono preamp, the Fosgate Signature v2. This might be the first album I play when I get it this week (probably Wednesday).

Bela Bartok, "Concerto for Strings, Percussion and Celesta"
Fritz Reiner, CSO
RCA LSC-2374 (Classic Records LP reissue)

http://www.shadeddog.com/images/rca_lsc-2374.jpg

AudioNut
07-14-2013, 08:02 AM
Listening to . . . Vivaldi - Concertos & Sinfonias for Strings

Venice Baroque Orchestra - Andrea Marcon

One of the best recordings of Vivaldi Concertos I've heard. Highly recommended. Lively, exciting, fun, sparkling fresh interpretations.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51mRiC7BW6L.jpg

AudioNut
07-14-2013, 03:55 PM
Listening to . . . Beethoven - The Nine Symphonies

Gewandhausorchester Leipzig - Kurt Masur, Conductor

A Five Disc Pentatone SACD box set.

Currently playing Disc # 3
Symphony No. 3 in E-flat, Op 55 - Eroica
Symphony No. 8 in F, Op. 93

I have a fair number of complete sets of Beethoven Symphonies on LP, and bought this set because I was enamored with the Pentatone remasters from Quadro analogue to SACD digital, because I read good things about the performances, and because at the time (about 2005) I didn't have such a set in SACD.

Well, the hype is fairly well founded. Not the the absolute best performances (but far from the worst), and, the sound is as advertised. These performances were recorded in the early 1970's and hold their own with most of what has come along since.

Very nice performances, excellent sound.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51LKDWHhmkL.jpg

AudioNut
07-14-2013, 04:07 PM
Just heard...

http://sa-cd.net/covers/2888.jpg

__________________________________________________ ____

Carlos, I absolutely couldn't get into the Mahler Symphonies until I gave the Second a chance to overcome me and my objections to the music. Now, I can't get enough of this powerful music.

Try the 2nd, and I'd recommend and suggest you get the Ivan Fischer, Budapest Festival Orchestra recording on Channel Classics (SACD of course)

Read the reviews on SA-CD.net . . . . SA-CD.net - Mahler: Symphony No. 2 - Fischer (http://www.sa-cd.net/showtitle/3977)

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61idS3W-I4L.jpg

Josquin des Prez
07-14-2013, 04:13 PM

Carlos, I absolutely couldn't get into the Mahler Symphonies until I gave the Second a chance to overcome me and my objections to the music. Now, I can't get enough of this powerful music.

Try the 2nd, and I'd recommend and suggest you get the Ivan Fischer, Budapest Festival Orchestra recording on Channel Classics (SACD of course)

Read the reviews on SA-CD.net . . . . SA-CD.net - Mahler: Symphony No. 2 - Fischer (http://www.sa-cd.net/showtitle/3977)

+1 on this recommendation (I think I said so earlier in the thread)
I also like the Solti/LSO on Decca (from the 60s). I have the very fine Speakers Corner remastering of it.

AudioNut
07-14-2013, 04:54 PM
Listening to Olivier Messiaen - Turangalila Symphonie

Garrick Ohlsson - Piano
Jean Laurendeau - Ondes Martenot

Saint Louis Symphony Orchestra - Hans Vonk, Conductor

You know me, and know that I don't much like modern music - but I love this . . . .

This an astronomical bombastically cataclysmic showcase of modern music played in incredible form by Hans Vonk and the St. Louis. Read the review below from All Music:

Hans Vonk recorded Olivier Messiaen's Turangalîla-symphonie in 1999 with the St. Louis Symphony Orchestra, and this luminous performance has been selected by Arch Media Archives for its eight-CD tribute to the conductor. While Vonk is probably best known for performing the Romantic repertoire, with few recordings of modern music to his credit, this gargantuan landmark of twentieth century music provides the grand scale and impressive orchestral palette that he seems to have favored, and offers the listener a case study of his fastidious handling of a long and complicated score. All the evanescent textures, ethereal sonorities, and cataclysmic tutti that make this piece so fascinating are carefully shaped and firmly controlled to create the strongest impression, and Vonk's forward-moving tempos keep the music from dissolving into a lush and languorous mélange of mystical reveries.

http://cps-static.rovicorp.com/3/JPG_500/MI0001/158/MI0001158717.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

Josquin des Prez
07-14-2013, 05:04 PM
Listening to Olivier Messiaen - Turangalila Symphonie

Garrick Ohlsson - Piano
Jean Laurendeau - Ondes Martenot

Saint Louis Symphony Orchestra - Hans Vonk, Conductor

You know me, and know that I don't much like modern music - but I love this . . . .

This an astronomical bombastically cataclysmic showcase of modern music played in incredible form by Hans Vonk and the St. Louis. Read the review below from All Music:

Hey, I know that band. They play here all the time. :D

cma29
07-14-2013, 06:41 PM

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61idS3W-I4L.jpg

Thanks for the suggestions and encouragement, Julian (& Dean).

I'm going to give Mahler another chance. Maybe starting with #6 was not the way to go. DC suggested I start with #1 and then move to #5. Based on Dean's advice I bought Ivan Fischer's #1 and that should be here soon. As I make my way through these two symphonies, I'll then try #2 (I already have Simon Rattle's version with the City of Birmingham Symphony Orchestra which won a Gramophone Award back in the late 1980s, but the new Ivan Fischer sounds really tempting based on the SA-CD.net review and your recommendations).

Josquin des Prez
07-14-2013, 06:48 PM
Thanks for the suggestions and encouragement, Julian (& Dean).

I'm going to give Mahler another chance. Maybe starting with #6 was not the way to go. DC suggested I start with #1 and then move to #5. Based on Dean's advice I bought Ivan Fischer's #1 and that should be here soon. As I make my way through these two symphonies, I'll then try #2 (I already have Simon Rattle's version with the City of Birmingham Symphony Orchestra which won a Gramophone Award back in the late 1980s, but the new Ivan Fischer sounds really tempting based on the SA-CD.net review and your recommendations).

You'll be anxious to name your next child Gustav before you realize it. :D

Toccata
07-14-2013, 06:51 PM
I haven't listened to this LP in years--sounds great! His music is quite dissonant at times, but not without a little melody here and there.

http://s.ecrater.com/stores/161929/4dba6fa11e3c9_161929b.jpg

cma29
07-14-2013, 06:51 PM
Listening to . . . Beethoven - The Nine Symphonies

Gewandhausorchester Leipzig - Kurt Masur, Conductor

A Five Disc Pentatone SACD box set.

Currently playing Disc # 3
Symphony No. 3 in E-flat, Op 55 - Eroica
Symphony No. 8 in F, Op. 93

I have a fair number of complete sets of Beethoven Symphonies on LP, and bought this set because I was enamored with the Pentatone remasters from Quadro analogue to SACD digital, because I read good things about the performances, and because at the time (about 2005) I didn't have such a set in SACD.

Well, the hype is fairly well founded. Not the the absolute best performances (but far from the worst), and, the sound is as advertised. These performances were recorded in the early 1970's and hold their own with most of what has come along since.

Very nice performances, excellent sound.

Thant's great, Julian.

I saw Kurt Masur conduct the New York Philharmonic doing symphonies #8 & #9 - one of my first great concert experiences.

One of my favorite Beethoven symphony cycles is:

Nikolaus Harnoncourt, Chamber Orchestra of Europe

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41kmIvdSaVL._SY300__PJautoripBadge,BottomRight,4,-40_OU11__.jpg

This cycle was released when I started exploring this music and it left an indelible mark that has yet to be surpassed. I still find these interpretations fresh-sounding and the recordings are superb (no need to worry about lack of SACD availability here).

Toccata
07-14-2013, 08:34 PM
Enough modernism...now for some Mozart in big-boned performances and excellent SACD audio! No. 41 today--sublime!

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51ZEPCookAL.jpg

AudioNut
07-15-2013, 06:35 AM
Listening to . . . Vivaldi: The Four Seasons

Boston Baroque - Martin Pearlman, Director
Christina Day Martinson - Violin

The Vivaldi Four Seasons is probably so popular because it is beautiful music and is so engaging - and this Telarc SACD is a very nice way to listen to this music.

Thousands of Four Seasons recordings, and I have a bunch of them, and it's hard to pick the best of the lot, or even the very good ones . . . . but this one did have a pretty cover. . . .

And, actually, this recording is very good - first rate sound quality and decent performance by a stellar group!

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51SirVyPdUL._SL500_AA300_.jpg (http://www.amazon.com/Vivaldi-Four-Seasons-Hybrid-SACD/dp/B001LOR3L8/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1333190054&sr=1-1)

cma29
07-15-2013, 12:23 PM
I'm enjoying

Schubert: Symphony No. 8 in B minor, D759 'Unfinished', Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra, Carlos Kleiber

http://i.prs.to/t_200/dg4497452.jpg

A great two-movement symphony with nice melodies and some dramatic passages. I always enjoying listening to this. Kleiber with the VPO are in their element here and the recording is very good.

bart
07-15-2013, 02:08 PM
You'll be anxious to name your next child Gustav before you realize it. :D

:lmao:

+1 on the Fischer recordings.
Seeing him first explaining and then conducting the 5th live was one the most beautiful musical experiences ever.

cma29
07-15-2013, 02:29 PM
Now moving to a recommendation from the TAS 40th Anniversary issue

Reiner, Chicago Symphony Orchestra, Pines of Rome / Fountains of Rome / La Mer [Hybrid SACD - DSD]

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61RZ2306WfL._SX300_.jpg

It's hard to believe this recording is from 1959/1960. It sounds better than many modern recordings I've heard and the Chicago brass playing during the Pines of Rome is impressive. Go for it!

bart
07-15-2013, 03:22 PM

Reiner, Chicago Symphony Orchestra, Pines of Rome / Fountains of Rome / La Mer [Hybrid SACD - DSD]

It's hard to believe this recording is from 1959/1960. It sounds better than many modern recordings I've heard and the Chicago brass playing during the Pines of Rome is impressive. Go for it!

I have that one too. :thumbsup:

From all those enthusiastic posts, I've got the desire to listen to some Mahler tonight.

Mahler - Symphony No. 3 & 9 Lieder from "Des Knaben Wunderhorn"
City of Birmingham Symphony Orchestra, cond. by Simon Rattle

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51BZzPOw4cL.jpg http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51Px886zIhL.jpg

I have nothing to compare to, but I do like this performance.
Good recording too ('97).

“Really outstanding issues like this one remain few and far between. A happy testament to all Rattle has achieved in Birmingham.” BBC Music Magazine, May 2005

Josquin des Prez
07-15-2013, 05:10 PM

This is one of the titles that Analogue Productions is doing for their new RCA Living Master reissue series of 25 titles (http://store.acousticsounds.com/s/369). This title will be out in September.

http://store.acousticsounds.com/images/large/tempAAPC_2436__91352__05102013101350-1907.jpg

AudioNut
07-15-2013, 05:52 PM
Ok . . . .

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-_6ab-dKYnis/T2vVLthWGdI/AAAAAAAAUAA/-7BZu_RL6KM/s400/miller-time.jpg

================================================== ================

Oops, I mean . . . .

It's . . . .

http://si.wsj.net/public/resources/images/RV-AA248_MAHLER_G_20101005223550.jpg

MAHLER TIME

And, I'm listening to a really old LP

Gustav Mahler - Symphony Number 1

Boston Symphony Orchestra - Erich Leinsdorf, Conductor

An RCA Dynagroove LP, recorded in 1963

I have an inherent prejudice relative to the Dynagroove recordings which followed right on the heels of the RCA Living Stereo releases. They normally just aren't as good as their forebears, This record, however, sounds "right good". I like the first symphony and this recording adds sparkle to the already dynamic sound.

http://pixhost.me/avaxhome/a8/5d/00165da8_medium.jpeg

Toccata
07-15-2013, 06:40 PM
Happy 80th birthday, Mr. Bream!

http://eil.com/images/main/Julian+Bream+-+20th+Century+Guitar+-+LP+RECORD-522931.jpg

His magical tone has never been captured as well as on these old RCA LPs.

AudioNut
07-15-2013, 07:29 PM
Listening to . . . Prokofieff - Lieutenant Kije
Stravinsky - Song of the Nightingale

The Chicago Symphony Orchestra - Fritz Reiner, Conductor

This is a Chesky LP, remastered from the original 3 track RCA Living Stereo tapes, and is probably the equivalent of the original Living Stereo LP (which I also have).

Harry Pearson has said several times that this is his favorite LP - and I can see why. An amazing performance with equally amazing sound quality.

http://mobile.collectorsfrenzy.com/gallery/150870159191.jpg

Josquin des Prez
07-15-2013, 07:37 PM
Listening to . . . Prokofieff - Lieutenant Kije
Stravinsky - Song of the Nightingale

The Chicago Symphony Orchestra - Fritz Reiner, Conductor

This is a Chesky LP, remastered from the original 3 track RCA Living Stereo tapes, and is probably the equivalent of the original Living Stereo LP (which I also have).

Harry Pearson has said several times that this is his favorite LP - and I can see why. An amazing performance with equally amazing sound quality.

http://mobile.collectorsfrenzy.com/gallery/150870159191.jpg
This one is also on the list of 25 getting the Analogue Productions remaster treatment.

http://store.acousticsounds.com/images/large/tempAAPC_2150__91375__05102013100042-5039.jpg

AudioNut
07-15-2013, 07:40 PM

RCA did a great job with the re-mastering of their Living Stereo library when they made these SACD's. Probably the only thing better are the original LP's which are incredible. Also excellent are the Chesky and Classic Records remastered LP's

IMHO, the RCA Living Stereo recordings from the late 1950's and early 1960's equal or surpass just about any recordings made by anybody, anywhere, since that time. Same holds true for the Mercury Living Presence and Decca/London Blue Backs from the same period.

cma29
07-15-2013, 08:45 PM
This one is also on the list of 25 getting the Analogue Productions remaster treatment.

This Prokofiev / Stravinsky recording was also part of the 40th Anniversary TAS list. :thumbsup:

bart
07-16-2013, 05:35 PM
Ok . . . .

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-_6ab-dKYnis/T2vVLthWGdI/AAAAAAAAUAA/-7BZu_RL6KM/s400/miller-time.jpg

================================================== ================

Oops, I mean . . . .

It's . . . .

http://si.wsj.net/public/resources/images/RV-AA248_MAHLER_G_20101005223550.jpg

MAHLER TIME

And, I'm listening to a really old LP

Gustav Mahler - Symphony Number 1

Boston Symphony Orchestra - Erich Leinsdorf, Conductor

An RCA Dynagroove LP, recorded in 1963

I have an inherent prejudice relative to the Dynagroove recordings which followed right on the heels of the RCA Living Stereo releases. They normally just aren't as good as their forebears, This record, however, sounds "right good". I like the first symphony and this recording adds sparkle to the already dynamic sound.

http://pixhost.me/avaxhome/a8/5d/00165da8_medium.jpeg

:D

Mahler here also.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/513LCubq0sL.jpg http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51%2Bq8dw4uQL.jpg

I really like this 3-channel recording.
Good performance, wonderful and detailed sound.

Royzak
07-16-2013, 07:02 PM
Just found a record I didn't know I had, thin damaged spine, must have flicked past it many times. So glad I finally found it.

Stravinsky's Mass plus Lenten and Christmas Motets by Poulenc. Its a 1973 Argo directed by Simon Preston.

It has quite taken my breath away, listening to the Poulenc at the moment ideal for this time of night. Midnight and everywhere so quiet.

Toccata
07-16-2013, 10:52 PM
The first time I listened to this I didn't think the big moments had enough "slam"--but another hearing confirmed that they have plenty of intensity, along with very realistic sound.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51r5Vff62cL.jpg

cma29
07-17-2013, 12:25 PM
Yesterday my 3 year old woke up at 4:30 am and declared that he had slept enough and wanted to play. It made for a rough day, but the good news is that I got a bunch of discs in the mail from Presto Classical.

First I played...

Vivaldi: Gloria RV 589, Rinaldo Alessandrini, Concerto Italiano

http://youtu.be/bVXf8S6sY5M

This is fun choral ecclesiastical music to listen to. The "Gloria in excelsis Deo" is played extremely fast with plenty of verve and energy. Overall, a delightful disc with nice sound.

I also like Rinaldo Alessandrini's Bach Brandenburg Concerti with the Concerto Italiano. A lighter, outstanding Italianate interpretation of those Teutonic classics.

cma29
07-17-2013, 12:55 PM
Staying with sacred choral music...

Mozart: Mass in C minor, K427 'Great', Accentus, La Chambre Philharmonique (on period instruments), Emmanuel Krivine

http://i.prs.to/t_200/naivev5043.jpg

The Mass in C minor was highlighted in the June 2013 edition of Gramophone. David Threasher listened to all versions available (sounds like a tough job) to pick the best. His overall winner was Chœur & Orchestre du Concert d’Astrée, Louis Langrée, but he also liked this Krivine version as "Light and Lithe." Krivine uses small forces which enable maximum versatility with all "instrumental lines beautifully illuminated." This pays dividends in the fugal Osanna. Very transparent sound with good atmospherics. I like it and may get the Langrée as a complement.

Josquin des Prez
07-17-2013, 02:05 PM
Yesterday my 3 year old woke up at 4:30 am and declared that he had slept enough and wanted to play. It made for a rough day, but the good news is that I got a bunch of discs in the mail from Presto Classical.

First I played...

Vivaldi: Gloria RV 589, Rinaldo Alessandrini, Concerto Italiano

This is fun choral ecclesiastical music to listen to. The "Gloria in excelsis Deo" is played extremely fast with plenty of verve and energy. Overall, a delightful disc with nice sound.

I also like Rinaldo Alessandrini's Bach Brandenburg Concerti with the Concerto Italiano. A lighter, outstanding Italianate interpretation of those Teutonic classics.

I performed in the Gloria in D in college. It's one of my favorite choral works. My favorite performance of it is with the Academy of Ancient Music with Simon Preston conducting and Kirkby/Nelson/Watkinson/Bowman as soloists. I have the CD and LP. There is a later AAM performance that does not have Emma Kirkby. I do not like it as much.

<click for Amazon details>
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51XeeY5dV-L._SY300_.jpg (http://www.amazon.com/Vivaldi-sincera-Dominus-Cantatas-Watkinson/dp/B0000042HT/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1374058324&sr=8-2&keywords=vivaldi+gloria+preston+kirkby)

cma29
07-17-2013, 02:18 PM
I performed in the Gloria in D in college. It's one of my favorite choral works. My favorite performance of it is with the Academy of Ancient Music with Simon Preston conducting and Kirkby/Nelson/Watkinson/Bowman as soloists. I have the CD and LP. There is a later AAM performance that does not have Emma Kirkby. I do not like it as much.

<click for Amazon details>

That's great, Dean. Do you sing as a bass or tenor? Or what instrument do you play?

I wish I had the musical talent to play or sing as part of an actual performance for anything. Sadly I have no musical training or talent :(

Josquin des Prez
07-17-2013, 02:41 PM
That's great, Dean. Do you sing as a bass or tenor? Or what instrument do you play?

I wish I had the musical talent to play or sing as part of an actual performance for anything. Sadly I have no musical training or talent :(

I was all over the place (bass, bari, tenor). At the time (late 80s) I sang in our school choir, the madrigal ensemble (7 people) and the St. Louis Bach Society (large semi-pro chorus). The two choral groups I sang as a bass/baritone. My voice instructor, however, decided I was a tenor and started grooming me for that. That is what I sang in the madrigal ensemble.

Haven't done it in over 20 years now. I miss that. It was fun.

AudioNut
07-18-2013, 07:05 AM
Listening to . . . . Yo-Yo Ma, Kathryn Stott

Paris - La Belle Époque
The Music of Faure, Franck, Massenet, Saint-Saëns

I really have a hard time liking anything by Yo-Yo Ma, but he is quite good here, and the piano player (Kathryn Stott) is great. A nice pleasant album.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51Pys261%2BxL._SY300_.jpg

ehoove
07-18-2013, 09:19 AM
I understand your thoughts Julian, I have this one and find myself picking and choosing amongst the offerings.
Regards,
Jim

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/5161%2BfZscTL.jpg

cma29
07-18-2013, 11:28 AM
Here is something interesting:

Le Concert Spirituel at the time of Louis XV, Jordi Savall, Le Concert des Nations
Includes
Corelli: Concerto grosso Op. 6 No. 4 in D major
Rameau: Les Indes Galantes
Telemann: Overture (Suite) TWV 55, Concerto TWV 52:, Overture (Suite) TWV 55

http://i.prs.to/t_200/aliavoxavsa9877.jpg

According to Wikipedia, the Concert spirituel was one of the first public concert series in existence. The concerts began in Paris in 1725 and ended in 1790. The series was founded to provide entertainment during Lent and on religious holidays when the other spectacles (the Paris Opera, Comédie-Française, and Comédie-Italienne) were closed. The programmes featured a mixture of sacred choral works and virtuosic instrumental pieces, and for many years took place in a magnificently-decorated Salle des Cent Suisses (Hall of the Hundred Swiss Guards) in the Tuileries Palace.

As usual, these a very good performances by Savall and his Spanish band for this entertaining music. The sound is warmer than usual for AliaVox recording. I like it, but it's not for everyday listening.

AudioNut
07-19-2013, 07:12 AM
Listening to . . . Handel - Water Music and Music for the Royal Fireworks

The Academy of Ancient Music - Christopher Hogwood, Director

Very good recording of both of these works. A two disc set, available from Amazon for $11.49 - and if you don't already have a good set of these, this would be a great addition to your collection.

Wonderful performances, excellent sound quality.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51g1Og2LiwL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

cma29
07-19-2013, 02:40 PM
Enjoying...

Mozart: Serenade No. 7 in D major, K250 'Haffner'

http://i.prs.to/t_200/pentatoneptc5186097.jpg

This is a great piece. I did some research on it and found that the Haffner, a wedding serenade for the marriage of Elizabeth Haffner in July 1776, was an outdoor summer piece, which was not good for the band, whose members were expected to move around. Thus there are no timpani; and certainly no cellos, because there were aristocratic guests, so lowly musicians couldn't sit while they stood. When Mozart later shortened this eight-movement work to a five-movement 'symphony', he enhanced the orchestration with cellos and drums.

Gordan Nikolitch goes further. He incorporates these instruments into the original format, thus turning the Serenade into a fuller work. I think the results are outstanding and the recording's sound is some of the best I've heard from PentaTone. Highly recommended.

AudioNut
07-19-2013, 05:37 PM
Listening to . . . Brahms - Ein Deutsches Requiem

Arleen Auger - Soprano
Richard Stilwell - Baritone

The Atlanta Symphony Orchestra and Chorus - Robert Shaw, Conductor

A Telarc CD, recorded in 1984

An O.K. rendition of the gorgeous Brahms Requiem. Strong voices, well recorded; but a little boring compared to the really good ones (like the Herreweghe/Orchestre des Champs Elysees on Harmonia Mundi).

I find this one a little subdued - but beautiful nevertheless.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51fqQ6JpzUL.jpg

Toccata
07-19-2013, 06:51 PM
Overall, this is wonderful, but does anyone else think the rear channels have too much direct sound?

http://media.mdt.co.uk/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/C/C/CCSSA34113.jpg

AudioNut
07-20-2013, 07:10 AM
Now listening to my favorite recording of Handel's Water Music

An LP (but also available of CD) of this beautiful music by . . . .

Philharmonia Baroque Orchestra - Nicholas McGegan, Director

A Harmonia Mundi LP, recorded by (The) Peter McGrath. Wonderful performance, superb sound.

http://www.freecodesource.com/album-cover/51vevme9nXL/-Handel:-Water-Music--McGegan-Philharmonia-Baroque-Orchestra.jpg

Josquin des Prez
07-20-2013, 12:18 PM

A Harmonia Mundi LP, recorded by (The) Peter McGrath. Wonderful performance, superb sound.

Excellent choice, Julian. I got my new Fosgate Signature this week and am spending the day to enjoy it. I was thinking about some favorites to play and your post came up. Spinning this now, and it sounds fantastic. What a great performance of a great piece of music. :thumbsup:

cma29
07-20-2013, 04:25 PM

http://www.freecodesource.com/album-cover/51vevme9nXL/-Handel:-Water-Music--McGegan-Philharmonia-Baroque-Orchestra.jpg

Thanks, Julian. I love this music and put the Philharmonia Baroque Orchestra version on my wish list for purchase.

Josquin des Prez
07-20-2013, 04:28 PM
Thanks, Julian. I love this music and put the Philharmonia Baroque Orchestra version on my wish list for purchase.

Yes, this one is a must have! :yes:

Josquin des Prez
07-20-2013, 05:28 PM
I am really liking what I'm hearing with my new phonostage. Currently enjoying a favorite symphony recording. This one is easy to recommend., and has that great 60s Decca sound. Very luscious.

Gustav Mahler, Symphony No. 1 "Titan"
Sir George Solti, London Symphony Orchestra
Decca SXL 6113 (Speakers Corner remaster)

http://store.acousticsounds.com/images/large/ADEC_6113__6185__01152009111707-176.jpg

AudioNut
07-21-2013, 06:45 AM
A Mozart Symphony on LP to start the day . . .

Listening to Mozart Symphony No. 40 in G minor
Haydn Symphony No. 104, "London"

Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra - Herbert von Karajan, Conductor

An RCA Living Stereo LP

Beautiful gentle music, guaranteed not to wake you up too fast - maybe even put you back to sleep. I know I've nodded off to Mozart in live concerts a time or two. H. von Karajan did know how to play them well though.

http://www.shadeddog.com/images/rca_lsc-2535_small.jpg

AudioNut
07-21-2013, 06:48 AM
Excellent choice, Julian. I got my new Fosgate Signature this week and am spending the day to enjoy it. I was thinking about some favorites to play and your post came up. Spinning this now, and it sounds fantastic. What a great performance of a great piece of music. :thumbsup:

Congratulations. Dean, on the Fosgate Signature - WOW - I've read and heard great things about that one!

How about a mini review?

AudioNut
07-21-2013, 07:25 AM
OK Dean, I'm playing some really old stuff in your honor . . . An Archiv Produktion LP

Listening to . . . . Tanzmusik der Renaissance (Dance Music of the Renaissance)

Ulsamer-Collegium - Konrad Ragossnig - Lute & Guitar

Winner of the Grand Prix du Disque, Paris and very interesting music played on, obviously, period instruments. Can't say I particularly like it, but given time and more information, I may learn to love it.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51e41oFNpYL._SS500_.jpg

Josquin des Prez
07-21-2013, 11:32 AM
OK Dean, I'm playing some really old stuff in your honor . . . An Archiv Produktion LP

Listening to . . . . Tanzmusik der Renaissance (Dance Music of the Renaissance)

Ulsamer-Collegium - Konrad Ragossnig - Lute & Guitar

Winner of the Grand Prix du Disque, Paris and very interesting music played on, obviously, period instruments. Can't say I particularly like it, but given time and more information, I may learn to love it.

Oh yeah, I love this album. It's a classic, and must have for early music collections. It gets played several times a year around here. I have the same record you have but also as part of a 6 LP set on Archiv 2723 051.

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/MELKUS-dance-music-through-the-ages-5-LP-Mint-2723-051-Vinyl-1972-Record-/00/s/NTUwWDU0Mg==/z/0GIAAOxyLchRqTnj/$(KGrHqF,!okFGo8bLzycBRqTnjBzc!~~60_3.JPG

Josquin des Prez
07-21-2013, 11:34 AM
Congratulations. Dean, on the Fosgate Signature - WOW - I've read and heard great things about that one!

How about a mini review?

Here's what I posted in the Fosgate thread last night.

This is my first jump into tubes. I am all SS otherwise. Adding tubes to the mix brings some nice things to the table and is a huge step up from my Nova Phonomena. I listen to all acoustic music (classical/jazz), and the Fosgate Signature v2 imparts a much more natural feel to the music. Vocals and flutes sound more breathy. Strings and bass sound more woody, and so on. It also throws a much better sound stage. Wider, more three-dimensional with much less wandering in complex music. On top of that the detail and resolution is improved. Midrange has more weight and warmth, bass is tighter/faster and deeper, while the high end is smoother and sweeter sounding. Musically, it is more fluid without sacrificing the PRaT and dynamics of my Naim.

I just listened to the Glen Moore double-bass solo (A Belt of Asteroids) from Ralph Towner's Trios/Solos album and it sounds amazingly realistic. On the same album Ralph's classical guitar has amazing presence. I left the room and it hit me how realistic it is, sounding like there is really a guitar being played in the room. Now I ma listening to the great Peter McGrath recording of Handel's Water Music on Harmonia Mundi France with Nick McGegan and the Philharmonia Orchestra. It brings out so much that I hear live at the symphony but have missed here. All the wood, and textures of catgut bows on strings. the blaring of the horns and yet it's all silky smooth all the way to the top end. Nice.

I started with the load set to 500Ω for my Talisman v2 Gold, but I turned it down to 300Ω just a little while ago. I think I like better what I am hearing, but I need to spend more time comparing to be sure. The 500Ω setting seems just a tad hot in the upper registers, and that was true for my Nova Phonomena (475Ω vs 380Ω loading).

AudioNut
07-21-2013, 02:45 PM
Listening to . . . Handel Organ Concertos Nos. 5, 6, 8, 11 & 13

Daniel Chorzempa - Organ
Concerto Amsterdam - Jaap Schroder, Director

Recorded in 1975 and remastered and issued in 2002 as a multichannel SACD by Pentatone.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51-oOeI%2BVcL.jpg

Volume 2 of 4 individual SACD's

I've spoken here about this set of organ concertos several times before, yet every time I pull one of them out to listen, I am amazed at the quality of performance and sound.

I love all four of these recordings, I love the sound of this particular tracker organ, I love the instrumental accompaniment. SUPERB

These are wonderful recordings.

AudioNut
07-22-2013, 05:01 PM
Listening to . . . . Georg Phiipp Telemann - Darmstadter Ouverturen

Concentus Musicus Wien - Nikolaus Harnoncourt

FABULOUS recording - A Telefunken - Das Alte Werk LP, recorded in 1980

I don't have a lot of Teleman's music, but certainly wish I had more. This is great.

This is not the album cover that I have. Mine is apparently an earlier issue, but it is the same music and same recording.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51MHsUtwnXL.jpg

Josquin des Prez
07-22-2013, 07:41 PM
I have always liked Pollini's Chopin. Actually, I have always liked Pollini.

Frédéric Chopin, Poloniases
Maurizio Pollini
Deutsche Grammophon 2530 659

http://s.pixogs.com/image/R-1847106-1247590313.jpeg

AudioNut
07-23-2013, 06:44 AM
I guess I've had this CD for a lot of years, but didn't remember it when I stumbled across it this morning . . .

Anyway, I'm listening to . . . . Kathleen Battle - Wynton Marsalis - Baroque Duet

Kathleen Battle - Soprano
Wynton Marsalis - Trumpet
Anthony Newman - Harpsichord & Organ Continuo

Orchestra of St. Lukes - John Nelson, Conductor

Baroque music is "just right" for any time of day and this CD is perfect for early morning. In spite of her mercurial temperament,
Kathleen Battle has one heck of a beautiful voice and Wynton Marsalis, when he isn't playing jazz, is a very fine classical trumpeter.

I'm glad I found this CD and will play it again soon. Very nice!

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51BfCOz%2BsyL.jpg

cma29
07-23-2013, 01:26 PM
I like the harpsichord for morning listening...

Bach, CPE: Concerto in G minor, H.409 (W.6), Concerto in A major, H.411 (W.8), Concerto in D major, H.421 (W.18)
Miklós Spányi (harpsichord), Concerto Armonico, Péter Szüts

http://i.prs.to/t_200/bisbiscd767.jpg

These are world premiere recordings of splendid concerti that deserve to be better known. The recording is resonant in a good way. Check it out.

cma29
07-23-2013, 02:15 PM
More CPE Bach...

CPE Bach: The Keyboard Concertos Wq 43, Nos. 1-6
Andreas Staier (harpsichord), Freiburger Barockorchester, Petra Müllejans

http://i.prs.to/t_200/harmoniamundihmc90208384.jpg

A Gramophone Award winner in 2011, Best of Category - Baroque Instrumental.

Here is one the world’s finest Baroque orchestras joining with one of the world’s best harpsichordists in concerti by a composer who right now seems to be winning new recognition. Very nice music and extremely well recorded.

bart
07-23-2013, 03:09 PM
More CPE Bach...

CPE Bach: The Keyboard Concertos Wq 43, Nos. 1-6
Andreas Staier (harpsichord), Freiburger Barockorchester, Petra Müllejans

http://i.prs.to/t_200/harmoniamundihmc90208384.jpg

A Gramophone Award winner in 2011, Best of Category - Baroque Instrumental.

Here is one the world’s finest Baroque orchestras joining with one of the world’s best harpsichordists in concerti by a composer who right now seems to be winning new recognition. Very nice music and extremely well recorded.

Carlos, we'll be seeing this orchestra next spring! :banana:
And you're right: CPE is hot at the moment. A lot of new releases and lots of airplay on our classical station.

bart
07-23-2013, 03:23 PM
While we are talking about the Freiburger Barockorchester:

Mozart - La Clemenza de Tito
Freiburger Barockorchester & RIAS Kammerchor, conducted by René Jacobs

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51NsowBO49L.jpg http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51UXcVgYpOL.jpg

Not his greatest work, nevertheless some brilliant arias and musical passages.
I always enjoy this immensely when I play it.
The singers are outstanding, the orchestra sublime.
Cristal clear 5.0 sound.

AudioNut
07-23-2013, 04:58 PM
While we are talking about Bach's Great Music:

Bach 6 Solo Suites for Cello Solo

Matt Haimovitz - Cello

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41G23W8SN0L.jpg

Bach's Greatest work and I love it
I always enjoy this immensely when I play it.

Nice album cover Bart :D

bart
07-23-2013, 05:13 PM
Nice album cover Bart :D

Oh my goodness, I have a hacker on my roof too! :eek:

:D

AudioNut
07-23-2013, 05:18 PM
Here's a couple more great album covers for your collection Bart!

http://media-cache-ak3.pinimg.com/236x/84/63/dd/8463dd92b5439e7c89a41b6f4147d5ce.jpg http://media-cache-ak1.pinimg.com/236x/57/82/d5/5782d588ca70eba790930ff879a599b7.jpg

http://img41.imageshack.us/img41/3307/mttparrot.jpg

http://img52.imageshack.us/img52/1475/symfantastique.jpg

cma29
07-23-2013, 11:22 PM
Carlos, we'll be seeing this orchestra next spring! :banana:
And you're right: CPE is hot at the moment. A lot of new releases and lots of airplay on our classical station.

That's great, Bart. Enjoy. I'm jealous. I wish I lived in Europe. What a great place.

AudioNut
07-24-2013, 06:54 AM
Listening to . . . Mozart Eine Kleine Nachtmusik (Serenade in G, K. 525)
Posthorn Serenade (Serenade No. 9 in D, K. 320)

Prague Chamber Orchestra - Sir Charles Mackerras, Conductor

An old but very nicely recorded and performed Telarc CD - released in 1985.

You know, rummaging through some of these old CD's, I realize that Telarc wasn't quite so guilty of crappy sounding CD's
in the early days of the medium, as were some other manufacturers. This one sounds quite pleasant and natural - not analogue - but not artificial either.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51Q0%2BaUWoyL.jpg

ehoove
07-24-2013, 07:01 AM
Music for a beautiful morning in Maryland:

Georg Philipp Telemann
Wassermusik
usica Antiqua Koln
Reinhard Goebel
Archiv Produktion 413 788-2

I find myself drawn back to this disc. Very good interpretation, and feeling. IMHO

Regards,
Jim

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/3101DZYZ6EL.jpg

cma29
07-24-2013, 08:42 AM
Here's a couple more great album covers for your collection Bart!

Ok. This must be one of the worst album covers ever released (I'm sure the music by Sir Adrian Bolt and his Vienna forces is ok, but I can't get past the artwork).

http://www.kimbawlion.com/westminstergold/WGS-8126a.jpg

Antonmb
07-24-2013, 09:01 AM
The Philadelphia Woodwind Quintet - Mozart: Divertimenti No.8 & No. 14; Reicha: Quintet in E-Flat Major

Nice recording on vinyl, pleasant music for an early morning

Antonmb
07-24-2013, 09:03 AM
Ok. This must be one of the worst album covers ever released (I'm sure the music by Sir Adrian Bolt and his Vienna forces is ok, but I can't get past the artwork).

Fantastic cover, it looks like a poster for Barbarella.

AudioNut
07-24-2013, 09:25 AM
The Philadelphia Woodwind Quintet - Mozart: Divertimenti No.8 & No. 14; Reicha: Quintet in E-Flat Major

http://www.audioaficionado.org/attachments/music/28345-what-classical-music-you-listening-tonight-image-516463878.jpg

Nice recording on vinyl, pleasant music for an early morning

Morning Tony,

I had noticed that you put some classical music posts on the "What are you spinning thread" and I am very glad that you found us here.

Glad you listen to LP's, as do a number of us here, and we hope you will make it a habit to post your classical listening here. (Nice Six Eye Columbia, by the way.)

We feel that the thing that makes this thread special is the fact that most of us make comments about the music we listen to (as you did in your post above) which helps us discover new music, and makes this a friendlier place.

Please come back often.

Julian

Josquin des Prez
07-24-2013, 09:46 AM

That's pretty cheesy. I love it!

AudioNut
07-24-2013, 09:46 AM
I love to sit around listening to LP's and since retiring I should have more time to do just that.

http://www.abruckner.com/frameworks/default_7_5_10/navimage.png

Tried once before, but didn't get very far, so I'll try again. Listening to 20 lp's in a row is kinda fatiguing

I expect to come up for air after each couple of records - This is a well reviewed set of records. I've had it for years but don't think I've played more than 2 or 3 records.

Johan Sebastian Bach - Das Orgelwerk

Lionel Rogg - Organist - on various organs

A twenty (20) LP Box Set, recorded and manufactured in Germany by EMI in 1976

http://www.popsike.com/pix/20071014/250176158432.jpg

Fantasie, c - -- - Kloster Sorø
O Lamm Gottes unschuldig - -- - Kloster Sorø
Trio, G - 1027a - Erlöserkirche Kopenhagen
Triosonate no. 1, Es - 525 - Erlöserkirche Kopenhagen
Triosonate no. 2, c - 526 - Erlöserkirche Kopenhagen
Triosonate no. 3, d - 527 - Erlöserkirche Kopenhagen
Triosonate no. 4, e - 528 - Erlöserkirche Kopenhagen
Triosonate no. 5, C - 529 - St. Pierre, Genf
Triosonate no. 6, g - 530 - St. Pierre, Genf
Präludium und Fuge, C - 531 - Reformierte Kirche Netstal, Schweiz
Präludium und Fuge, D - 532 - Reformierte Kirche Netstal, Schweiz
Präludium und Fuge, e - 533 - Reformierte Kirche Netstal, Schweiz
Präludium und Fuge, f - 534 - St. Pierre, Genf
Präludium und Fuge, g - 535 - Reformierte Kirche Netstal, Schweiz
Präludium und Fuge, A - 536 - Klosterkirche Muri, Schweiz
Fantasie und Fuge, c - 537 - Kloster Sorø
Toccata und Fuge, d "Dorische" - 538 - St. Pierre, Genf
Präludium und Fuge, d - 539 - Klosterkirche Muri, Schweiz
Toccata und Fuge, F - 540 - St. Pierre, Genf
Präludium und Fuge, G - 541 - Kloster Sorø
Fantasie und Fuge, g - 542 - Kloster Sorø
Präludium und Fuge, a - 543 - Kloster Sorø
Präludium und Fuge, h - 544 - St. Pierre, Genf
Präludium und Fuge, C - 545 - Kloster Sorø
Präludium und Fuge, c - 546 - St. Pierre, Genf
Präludium und Fuge, C - 547 - St. Pierre, Genf
Präludium und Fuge, e - 548 - St. Pierre, Genf
Präludium und Fuge, c - 549 - Reformierte Kirche Netstal, Schweiz
Präludium und Fuge, G - 550 - Reformierte Kirche Netstal, Schweiz
Präludium und Fuge, a - 551 - Klosterkirche Muri, Schweiz
Klavierübung III: Präludium und Fuge, Es - 552 - St. Pierre, Genf
Fantasie, c - 562 - Kloster Sorø
Fantasie con imitazione, h - 563 - Kloster Sorø
Toccata, Adagio und Fuge, C - 564 - St. Pierre, Genf
Toccata und Fuge, d - 565 - St. Pierre, Genf
Präludium und Fuge, C [E] - 566 - Klosterkirche Muri, Schweiz
Präludium, G - 568 - Kloster Sorø
Präludium, a - 569 - Kloster Sorø
Fantasie, C - 570 - Kloster Sorø
Fantasie, G - 572 - Kloster Sorø
Fuge über ein Thema von Legrenzi, c - 574 - Reformierte Kirche Netstal, Schweiz
Fuge, c - 575 - Reformierte Kirche Netstal, Schweiz
Fuge, G - 577 - Erlöserkirche Kopenhagen
Fuge, g - 578 - Reformierte Kirche Netstal, Schweiz
Fuge über Themen von Corelli, h - 579 - Reformierte Kirche Netstal, Schweiz
Passacaglia, c - 582 - St. Pierre, Genf
Trio, d - 583 - Erlöserkirche Kopenhagen
Trio, G - 586 - Erlöserkirche Kopenhagen
Aria, F - 587 - Erlöserkirche Kopenhagen
Canzona - 588 - Kloster Sorø
Allabreve, D - 589 - Kloster Sorø
Pastorale, F - 590 - Erlöserkirche Kopenhagen
Kleines harmonisches Labyrinth - 591 - Kloster Sorø
Concerto nach Johann Ernst v. Sachsen-Weimar, G - 592 - Kloster Sorø
Concerto nach Vivaldi, op. 3/8 (RV522, a - 593 - Kloster Sorø
Concerto "Grosso Mogul" nach Vivaldi, (RV208, C - 594 - Kloster Sorø
Concerto nach Johann Ernst v. Sachsen-Weimar, C - 595 - Kloster Sorø
Concerto nach Vivaldi, op. 3/11 (RV565, d - 596 - Kloster Sorø
Orgelbüchlein: Nun komm, der Heiden Heiland - 599 - Erlöserkirche Kopenhagen
Orgelbüchlein: Gott, durch deine Güte - 600 - Erlöserkirche Kopenhagen
Orgelbüchlein: Herr Christ, der ein"ge Gottessohn - 601 - Erlöserkirche Kopenhagen
Orgelbüchlein: Lob sei dem allmächtigen Gott - 602 - Erlöserkirche Kopenhagen
Orgelbüchlein: Puer natus in Bethlehem - 603 - Erlöserkirche Kopenhagen
Orgelbüchlein: Gelobet seist du, Jesus Christ - 604 - Erlöserkirche Kopenhagen
Orgelbüchlein: Der Tag, der ist so freudenreich - 605 - Erlöserkirche Kopenhagen
Orgelbüchlein: Vom Himmel hoch, da komm" ich her - 606 - Erlöserkirche Kopenhagen
Orgelbüchlein: Vom Himmel kam der Engel Schaar - 607 - Erlöserkirche Kopenhagen
Orgelbüchlein: In dulci jubilo - 608 - Erlöserkirche Kopenhagen
Orgelbüchlein: Lobt Gott, ihr Christen allzugleich - 609 - Erlöserkirche Kopenhagen
Orgelbüchlein: Jesu, meine Freude - 610 - Erlöserkirche Kopenhagen
Orgelbüchlein: Christum wir sollen loben schon - 611 - Erlöserkirche Kopenhagen
Orgelbüchlein: Wir Christenleut" - 612 - Erlöserkirche Kopenhagen
Orgelbüchlein: Helft mir Gottes Güte preisen - 613 - Erlöserkirche Kopenhagen
Orgelbüchlein: Das alte Jahr vergangen ist - 614 - Erlöserkirche Kopenhagen
Orgelbüchlein: In dir ist Freude - 615 - Erlöserkirche Kopenhagen
Orgelbüchlein: Mit Fried" und Freud" ich fahr dahin - 616 - Erlöserkirche Kopenhagen
Orgelbüchlein: Herr Gott, nun schleuß den Himmel auf - 617 - Erlöserkirche Kopenhagen
Orgelbüchlein: O Lamm Gottes, unschuldig - 618 - Erlöserkirche Kopenhagen
Orgelbüchlein: Christe, du Lamm Gottes - 619 - Erlöserkirche Kopenhagen
Orgelbüchlein: Christus, der uns selig macht - 620 - Erlöserkirche Kopenhagen
Orgelbüchlein: Da Jesus an dem Kreuze stund" - 621 - Erlöserkirche Kopenhagen
Orgelbüchlein: O Mensch, bewein" dein" Sünde groß - 622 - Erlöserkirche Kopenhagen
Orgelbüchlein: Wir danken dir, Herr Jesu Christ - 623 - Erlöserkirche Kopenhagen
Orgelbüchlein: Hilf Gott, daß mir"s gelinge - 624 - Erlöserkirche Kopenhagen
Orgelbüchlein: Christ lag in Todesbanden - 625 - Erlöserkirche Kopenhagen
Orgelbüchlein: Jesus Christus, unser Heiland - 626 - Erlöserkirche Kopenhagen
Orgelbüchlein: Christ ist erstanden - 627 - Erlöserkirche Kopenhagen
Orgelbüchlein: Erstanden ist der heil"ge Christ - 628 - Erlöserkirche Kopenhagen
Orgelbüchlein: Erschienen ist der herrliche Tag - 629 - Erlöserkirche Kopenhagen
Orgelbüchlein: Heut" triumphieret Gottes Sohn - 630 - Erlöserkirche Kopenhagen
Orgelbüchlein: Komm, Gott Schöpfer, heiliger Geist - 631 - Erlöserkirche Kopenhagen
Orgelbüchlein: Herr Jesu Christ, dich zu uns wend" - 632 - Erlöserkirche Kopenhagen
Orgelbüchlein: Liebster Jesu, wir sind hier - 633 - Erlöserkirche Kopenhagen
Orgelbüchlein: Liebster Jesu, wir sind hier - 634 - Erlöserkirche Kopenhagen
Orgelbüchlein: Dies sind die heil"gen zehn Gebot" - 635 - Erlöserkirche Kopenhagen
Orgelbüchlein: Vater unser im Himmelreich - 636 - Erlöserkirche Kopenhagen
Orgelbüchlein: Durch Adams Fall ist ganz verderbt - 637 - Erlöserkirche Kopenhagen
Orgelbüchlein: Es ist das Heil uns kommen her - 638 - Erlöserkirche Kopenhagen
Orgelbüchlein: Ich ruf" zu dir, Herr Jesus Christ - 639 - Erlöserkirche Kopenhagen
Orgelbüchlein: In dich hab" ich gehoffet, Herr - 640 - Erlöserkirche Kopenhagen
Orgelbüchlein: Wenn wir in höchsten Nöthen sein - 641 - Erlöserkirche Kopenhagen
Orgelbüchlein: Wer nur den lieben Gott läßt walten - 642 - Erlöserkirche Kopenhagen
Orgelbüchlein: Alle Menschen müssen sterben - 643 - Erlöserkirche Kopenhagen
Orgelbüchlein: Ach wie nichtig, ach wie flüchtig - 644 - Erlöserkirche Kopenhagen
Schüblersche Choräle: Wachet auf, ruft uns die Stimme - 645 - Klosterkirche Muri, Schweiz
Schüblersche Choräle: Wo soll ich fliehen hin - 646 - Klosterkirche Muri, Schweiz
Schüblersche Choräle: Wer nur den lieben Gott läßt walten - 647 - Klosterkirche Muri, Schweiz
Schüblersche Choräle: Meine Seele erhebt den Herren - 648 - Klosterkirche Muri, Schweiz
Schüblersche Choräle: Ach bleib bei uns, Herr Jesu Christ - 649 - Klosterkirche Muri, Schweiz
Schüblersche Choräle: Kommst du nun, Jesu, vom Himmel herunter - 650 - Klosterkirche Muri, Schweiz
18 Leipziger Choräle: Fantasia super Komm, Heiliger Geist - 651 - Klosterkirche Muri, Schweiz
18 Leipziger Choräle: Komm, heiliger Geist - 652 - Klosterkirche Muri, Schweiz
18 Leipziger Choräle: An Wasserflüssen Babylon - 653 - Klosterkirche Muri, Schweiz
18 Leipziger Choräle: An Wasserflüssen Babylon - 653b - Erlöserkirche Kopenhagen
18 Leipziger Choräle: Schmücke dich, o liebe Seele - 654 - Klosterkirche Muri, Schweiz
18 Leipziger Choräle: Herr Jesu Christ, dich zu uns wend (Trio super - 655 - Klosterkirche Muri, Schweiz
18 Leipziger Choräle: O Lamm Gottes, unschuldig - 656 - Klosterkirche Muri, Schweiz
18 Leipziger Choräle: Nun danket alle Gott - 657 - Klosterkirche Muri, Schweiz
18 Leipziger Choräle: Von Gott will ich nicht lassen - 658 - Klosterkirche Muri, Schweiz
18 Leipziger Choräle: Nun komm, der Heiden Heiland - 659 - Klosterkirche Muri, Schweiz
18 Leipziger Choräle: Nun komm, der Heiden Heiland (Trio super - 660 - Klosterkirche Muri, Schweiz
18 Leipziger Choräle: Nun komm, der Heiden Heiland - 661 - Klosterkirche Muri, Schweiz
18 Leipziger Choräle: Allein Gott in der Höh" sei Ehr" - 662 - Klosterkirche Muri, Schweiz
18 Leipziger Choräle: Allein Gott in der Höh" sei Ehr" - 663 - Klosterkirche Muri, Schweiz
18 Leipziger Choräle: Allein Gott in der Höh" sei Ehr" (Trio super - 664 - Klosterkirche Muri, Schweiz
18 Leipziger Choräle: Jesus Christus unser Heiland - 665 - Klosterkirche Muri, Schweiz
18 Leipziger Choräle: Jesus Christus unser Heiland - 666 - Klosterkirche Muri, Schweiz
18 Leipziger Choräle: Komm, Gott Schöpfer, heiliger Geist - 667 - Klosterkirche Muri, Schweiz
18 Leipziger Choräle: Vor deinen Thron tret" ich hiermit - 668 - Klosterkirche Muri, Schweiz
Klavierübung III: Kyrie, Gott Vater in Ewigkeit - 669 - St. Pierre, Genf
Klavierübung III: Christe, aller Welt Trost - 670 - St. Pierre, Genf
Klavierübung III: Kyrie, Gott heiliger Geist - 671 - St. Pierre, Genf
Klavierübung III: Kyrie, Gott Vater in Ewigkeit - 672 - St. Pierre, Genf
Klavierübung III: Christe, aller Welt Trost - 673 - St. Pierre, Genf
Klavierübung III: Kyrie, Gott heiliger Geist - 674 - St. Pierre, Genf
Klavierübung III: Allein Gott in der Höh" sei Ehr - 675 - St. Pierre, Genf
Klavierübung III: Allein Gott in der Höh" sei Ehr - 676 - St. Pierre, Genf
Klavierübung III: Allein Gott in der Höh" sei Ehr (Fughetta - 677 - St. Pierre, Genf
Klavierübung III: Dies sind die heil"gen zehn Gebot - 678 - St. Pierre, Genf
Klavierübung III: Dies sind die heil"gen zehn Gebot (Fughetta - 679 - St. Pierre, Genf
Klavierübung III: Wir glauben all" an einen Gott - 680 - St. Pierre, Genf
Klavierübung III: Wir glauben all" an einen Gott (Fughetta - 681 - St. Pierre, Genf
Klavierübung III: Vater unser im Himmelreich - 682 - St. Pierre, Genf
Klavierübung III: Vater unser im Himmelreich - 683 - St. Pierre, Genf
Klavierübung III: Christ, unser Herr, zum Jordan kam - 684 - St. Pierre, Genf
Klavierübung III: Christ, unser Herr, zum Jordan kam - 685 - St. Pierre, Genf
Klavierübung III: Aus tiefer Not schrei ich zu dir - 686 - St. Pierre, Genf
Klavierübung III: Aus tiefer Not schrei ich zu dir - 687 - St. Pierre, Genf
Klavierübung III: Jesus Christus unser Heiland, der von uns den Zorn Gottes wandt - 688 - St. Pierre, Genf
Klavierübung III: Jesus Christus unser Heiland, der von uns den Zorn Gottes wandt - 689 - St. Pierre, Genf
Wer nur den lieben Gott läßt walten - 690 - Erlöserkirche Kopenhagen
Wer nur den lieben Gott läßt walten - 691 - Erlöserkirche Kopenhagen
Wo soll ich fliehen hin - 694 - Erlöserkirche Kopenhagen
Christ lag in Todesbanden - 695 - Erlöserkirche Kopenhagen
Christum wir sollen loben schon - 696 - Kloster Sorø
Gelobet seist du, Jesus Christ - 697 - Kloster Sorø
Herr Christ, der ein"ge Gottessohn - 698 - Kloster Sorø
Nun komm der Heiden Heiland - 699 - Kloster Sorø
Vom Himmel hoch, da komm ich her - 700 - Kloster Sorø
Vom Himmel hoch, da komm ich her - 701 - Kloster Sorø
Das Jesulein soll doch mein Trost, mein Heiland sein - 702 - Kloster Sorø
Gottes Sohn ist kommen - 703 - Kloster Sorø
Lob sei dem allmächt"gen Gott - 704 - Kloster Sorø
Liebster Jesu, wir sind hier - 706 - Kloster Sorø
Herr Jesu Christ, dich zu uns wend - 709 - Klosterkirche Muri, Schweiz
Wir Christenleut - 710 - Erlöserkirche Kopenhagen
Allein Gott in der Höh" sei Ehr - 711 - Klosterkirche Muri, Schweiz
In dich hab" ich gehoffet Herr - 712 - Erlöserkirche Kopenhagen
Jesu, meine Freude - 713 - Klosterkirche Muri, Schweiz
Ach Gott und Herr - 714 - Kloster Sorø
Allein Gott in der Höh" sei Ehr - 715 - Kloster Sorø
Allein Gott in der Höh" sei Ehr - 717 - Klosterkirche Muri, Schweiz
Christ lag in Todesbanden - 718 - Erlöserkirche Kopenhagen
Ein feste Burg - 720 - Kloster Sorø
Erbarm dich mein, o Herre Gott - 721 - Kloster Sorø
Gelobet seist du, Jesus Christ - 722 - Kloster Sorø
Herr Jesu Christ, dich zu uns wend - 726 - Kloster Sorø
Herzlich tut mich verlangen - 727 - Klosterkirche Muri, Schweiz
Jesus, meine Zuversicht - 728 - Kloster Sorø
In dulci jubilo - 729 - Kloster Sorø
Liebster Jesu, wir sind hier - 730 - Kloster Sorø
Liebster Jesu, wir sind hier - 731 - Kloster Sorø
Lobt Gott, ihr Christen, allzugleich - 732 - Kloster Sorø
Fuge über das Magnificat - 733 - Klosterkirche Muri, Schweiz
Nun freut euch, lieben Christen g"mein - 734 - Kloster Sorø
Valet will ich dir geben - 735 - Kloster Sorø
Valet will ich dir geben - 736 - Klosterkirche Muri, Schweiz
Vater unser im Himmelreich - 737 - Klosterkirche Muri, Schweiz
Vom Himmel hoch, da komm ich her - 738 - Kloster Sorø
Wir glauben all" an einen Gott, Vater - 740 - Klosterkirche Muri, Schweiz
Ach Gott vom Himmel sieh darein - 741 - Kloster Sorø
In dulci jubilo - 751 - Erlöserkirche Kopenhagen
Partite sopra Christ du bist der helle Tag - 766 - Reformierte Kirche Netstal, Schweiz
Partite sopra O Gott, du frommer Gott - 767 - Reformierte Kirche Netstal, Schweiz
Partite sopra Sei gegrüßet Jesu gütig - 768 - Klosterkirche Muri, Schweiz
Einige canonische Veränderungen über "Vom Himmel hoch, da komm ich her" - 769 - Erlöserkirche Kopenhagen
Klavierübung III: 4 Duette - 802-805 - St. Pierre, Genf
Präludium, C - 943 - Kloster Sorø

cma29
07-24-2013, 10:49 AM
I love to sit around listening to LP's and since retiring I should have more time to do just that.

Tried once before, but didn't get very far, so I'll try again. Listening to 20 lp's in a row is kinda fatiguing

I expect to come up for air after each couple of records - This is a well reviewed set of records. I've had it for years but don't think I've played more than 2 or 3 records.

[B]Johan Sebastian Bach - Das Orgelwerk

Lionel Rogg - Organist - on various organs

A twenty (20) LP Box Set, recorded and manufactured in Germany by EMI in 1976

http://www.popsike.com/pix/20071014/250176158432.jpg

Wow. That's a lot of organ music, Julian. I hope you make a good dent into the box set this time. Let us know the highlights.

cma29
07-24-2013, 11:05 AM
Usually I listen to orchestral music, but I want to get into instrumental piano and chamber music more, so last night I played...

Beethoven: Piano Sonatas Nos. 1-32 (Complete), Paul Lewis
Disc # 2 which includes Piano Sonatas No. 8 in C minor, Op. 13 'Pathetique' and No. 11 in B flat major, Op. 22

http://i.prs.to/t_200/harmoniamundihmx290190211.jpg

I don't know much about piano music and I selected Paul Lewis because of the glowing reviews he has received and the selection of vol 4 of this cycle as Gramophone Record of the Year in 2008. Lovely music and sound. I need to explore this cycle more in-depth.

cma29
07-24-2013, 09:17 PM
Based on Dean's recommendation, I got

Brahms: Symphony No. 1 in C minor, Op. 68, Budapest Festival Orchestra, Iván Fischer

http://i.prs.to/t_200/channelccssa28309.jpg

I really enjoyed this interpretation and the sound was excellent. I liked the way Fischer emphasizes certain phrases in the piece. The pizzicato and the tympani at the end of movement #1 were exciting and the way he brought out the strings on top of the horn theme during the 4th movement was amazing (around 3:01).

Right after I heard the Fischer I played my Esoteric SACD remaster of Karl Böhm with the Berlin Philharmonic from 1959. I found the Böhm more intense than the Fischer and its sound surprisingly excellent given the 1959 vintage.

http://www.elusivedisc.com/images/esosa90053.jpg

In summary, two top choices for this great piece.

Antonmb
07-24-2013, 09:40 PM
Thanks Julian, I've noticed I seem to be the only one on the spin thread posting classical. I'll be glad to move my classical posts here, and I like the idea of a little commentary to help broaden my horizons.

cma29
07-24-2013, 09:58 PM
Thanks Julian, I've noticed I seem to be the only one on the spin thread posting classical. I'll be glad to move my classical posts here, and I like the idea of a little commentary to help broaden my horizons.

Welcome, Tony. I look forward to reading your comments on the music you listen to.

Antonmb
07-25-2013, 12:31 AM
Johann Sebastian Bach - Violinkonzerte in A-Moll und E-Dur; Konzert fur Zwei Violinen in D-Moll
Igor & David Oistrakh with the Royal Philharmonic, w/Eugene Goossens

Deutsche Grammophon (1963) SLPM 138820

The violin concertos are among my favorites, and although this performance is a little slow and romanticized in parts compared to more modern versions, the Oistrakhs' playing is gorgeous . I have a very nice performance by Academy of Ancient Music, but this one is my go-to for a quiet evening.

AudioNut
07-25-2013, 06:12 AM
Johann Sebastian Bach - Violinkonzerte in A-Moll und E-Dur; Konzert fur Zwei Violinen in D-Moll
Igor & David Oistrakh with the Royal Philharmonic, w/Eugene Goossens

Deutsche Grammophon (1963) SLPM 138820

http://www.audioaficionado.org/attachments/music/28366d1374726362-what-classical-music-you-listening-tonight-image-1989279192.jpg

The violin concertos are among my favorites, and although this performance is a little slow and romanticized in parts compared to more modern versions, the Oistrakhs' playing is gorgeous . I have a very nice performance by Academy of Ancient Music, but this one is my go-to for a quiet evening.

Very good recording - Think I'll play it tonight!

AudioNut
07-25-2013, 06:23 AM
Listening to . . . A Reference Recordings HDCD (their very first!) recorded in 1992

TESTAMENT

Turtle Creek Chorale - Dr. Timothy Seelig, Artistic Director
Dallas Wind Symphony

Mostly patriotic and sacred choral music, extremely well performed and well recorded. Some gentle, some rousing, all beautiful.

I also have this on LP.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51CBqnqzqAL.jpg . . . http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51c-Cj22rgL.jpg

cma29
07-25-2013, 12:44 PM
Inspired by Julian's Bach organ binge, I'm listening to...

Bach, J S: The Well-Tempered Clavier, Books 1 & 2, Christine Schornsheim (harpsichord)

http://i.prs.to/t_200/capriccioc7115.jpg

This is a 4-CD set and it would take 4 hours 14 minutes to listen to the whole thing, so I'll make my way though it slowly. Nice polyphonic harpsichord music for morning listening. Sound is immediate and clear. Resonance is just right.

bart
07-25-2013, 01:17 PM
One of those cellists who refine playing the cello concertos of Bach during most of their career is Roel Dieltiens.
He recorded them all twice, and this is his second interpretation:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51FX%2BjBnwvL.jpg

We heard 4 of them live last year, when he was touring to present this CD-box.
It was intense, and I do like these CDs.

bart
07-25-2013, 03:56 PM
About a month ago we went to see the three first laureates of the Queen Elisabeth Competition in Bruges.
They were all three outstanding.

Third was Mateusz Borowiak, who played Mozart's Piano Concerto No. 9 'Jeune Homme': very skillfully played, with a fine sense for tempi and just the right 'touch' (intensity of the notes, the 'loudness').

Second: Rémi Geniet: Rachmaninov's Piano Concerto No. 3.
Such a young man (20), but he played divinely. I was moved into every cell of my body. It was beyond skill, he became the piece itself.

First: Boris Giltburg, playing Prokofiev's Piano Concerto No. 2.
He said from this concerto: "It demands so much of the player that it really sucks all energy out of him, and he is left totally drained... but immensely happy".
I saw that this happened indeed to him - what an intensity! - and he also left us happy and very satisfied.

All in all a really energizing evening.

I bought this SACD after the concert:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51DDXT451wL.jpg http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41VllhHndaL.jpg

The Piano Concerto No. 2 I knew very well before, I own a very good version of it:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/612pDeBgr2L._SY450_.jpg

I found the SACD at least the equal performance-wise, and superior sounding.
The other pieces are beautiful, but I have no comparison.
I must admit Boris Giltburg, the winner of the QE Competition, played wonderfully and doesn't have to be ashamed in this company. :thumbsup:

bart
07-25-2013, 04:32 PM
Penderecki, conducting Sinfonietta Cracovia in his own works:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51kRdXcsRFL.jpg http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51wZV1P8DzL.jpg

This is a fantastic disc.
Very good pieces, with strong, deeply passionate emotions.
Playing is top notch, as is SQ.

Penderecki is alive and kicking, and even working on an opera.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Krzysztof_Penderecki

AudioNut
07-26-2013, 06:56 AM
Listening to . . . . Yolanda Kondonassis - Sky Music

http://clevelandartsprize.org/images/archive%20photos/yolanda_kondonassis/Yolanda.jpg . . . . . . http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/5173Wuhas0L.jpg

Music written by Faure, Hovhaness, Debussy, & Ned Rorem played on the harp by a (perhaps "the") true master on that instrument.

Harp music can be the most gentle and soothing music imaginable and this recording fits those criteria to a "T" . Absolutely gorgeous!

AudioNut
07-26-2013, 08:08 AM
Listening to . . . . . the beautiful chroral music LP . . . . LAUDATE !

Musik från Stormaktstiden ur Dübensamlingen

Uppsala Akademiska Choir, Drottningholms Baroque Ensemble

A Proprius LP

Posted this here before and listening to it again (and again) because this is possibly the best choral LP I happen to own. A true audiophile recording and a Stereophile "Record to Die For"

I've owned this for years and play it so often I've had to buy additional copies. Very highly recommended.

http://www.audiophileusa.com/covers400water/54578.jpg

Antonmb
07-26-2013, 09:12 AM
John Field - Nocturnes of John Field

Performed by John O'Conor, a Telarc CD

I find Field's nocturnes very pleasant if a little light-weight, compared to Chopin for instance, but it's a nice recording and I love O'Conor's playing. He has a beautifully gentle touch and, for me at least, perfect rhythmic and dynamic variation for this music. His Beethoven sonatas are among my favorites.

cma29
07-26-2013, 11:20 AM
Rainy morning here in Missouri and in the mood for baroque music. Listening to...

Johann Christian Bach: Berlin Harpsichord Concertos in D, B flat & F, The Hanover Band, Anthony Halstead

http://i.prs.to/t_200/cpo9999302.jpg

This is music from JS Bach's other son, Johann Christian. JC Bach's and CPE Bach's music sound similar particularly these harpsichord concerti. Charming music with some inventive touches. Playing is alert and the balance between strings (no winds used here) and harpsichord is excellent. The CPO recording is quite fine.

cma29
07-26-2013, 12:43 PM
Changing gears from the baroque to Richard Strauss...

Strauss, R: Also sprach Zarathustra, Op. 30, Till Eulenspiegels lustige Streiche, Op. 28, Don Juan, Op. 20, Berliner Philharmoniker, Herbert von Karajan

http://i.prs.to/t_200/dg4474412.jpg

The playing by the BPO in this set is glorious and in Strauss Karajan is hard to beat. The 1973 recording, done at the Jesus-Christus-Kirche, is very good indeed.

cma29
07-26-2013, 04:32 PM
Ok. Something different to wrap up the work week...

Dietrich Buxtehude: Opera Omnia Vl, Ton Koopman (harpsichord)
Aria in C, BuxWV 246
Suite in E BuxWV 236
Air with Two Variations in A minor, BuxWV 249
Suite in F BuxWV 239
Suite in A BuxWV deest
Canzonetta in D Minor, BuxWV 168
Suite in A BuxWV 244
Suite in C Bux 227
Toccata in G, BuxWV 165
Aria Rofilis in d BuxWV 248
Suite in G BuxWV 240
Suite in E BuxWV 237
Canzona BuxWV 166
Suite in G minor, BuxWV 241
Suite in C BuxWV 229

http://i.prs.to/t_200/challengeclassicscc72245.jpg

Dietrich Buxtehude was a German composer and organist who lived c.1637-1707 and is better known for his influence on JS Bach than for his own music. Too bad because the music on this release is very good.

This CD was selected as Gramophone Magazine Editor's Choice for May 2008. Here is what they said "Ton Koopman completes the exquisite solo oeuvre by Buxtehude with captivating élan. Witness the sheer richness of Buxtehude's luminous textures, as well as the finely drawn and grateful melodic contours." As president of the International Dieterich Buxtehude Society, Koopman is considered to be the world’s leading authority on his music.

The Challenge Classics recording is distinguished.

bart
07-26-2013, 05:04 PM
Time for some classical after all that pop earlier this evening.
This is a very fine album:

Telemann - 12 fantasies for solo viola
Ori Kam

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61lpBQJ7tiL._SX450__PJautoripBadge,BottomRight,4,-40_OU11__.jpg http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/513nM15eGQL._SX450_.jpg

We've been talking about Telemann the last days.
About how great a composer he was.
Well, these solo violin pieces, carefully transcribed into solo viola pieces, show his true genius.
Disc of the month in "Stereo" about 9 months ago.
Seriously recommended!

bart
07-26-2013, 05:08 PM
Ok. Something different to wrap up the work week...

Dietrich Buxtehude: Opera Omnia Vl, Ton Koopman (harpsichord)
Aria in C, BuxWV 246
Suite in E BuxWV 236
Air with Two Variations in A minor, BuxWV 249
Suite in F BuxWV 239
Suite in A BuxWV deest
Canzonetta in D Minor, BuxWV 168
Suite in A BuxWV 244
Suite in C Bux 227
Toccata in G, BuxWV 165
Aria Rofilis in d BuxWV 248
Suite in G BuxWV 240
Suite in E BuxWV 237
Canzona BuxWV 166
Suite in G minor, BuxWV 241
Suite in C BuxWV 229

http://i.prs.to/t_200/challengeclassicscc72245.jpg

Dietrich Buxtehude was a German composer and organist who lived c.1637-1707 and is better known for his influence on JS Bach than for his own music. Too bad because the music on this release is very good.

This CD was selected as Gramophone Magazine Editor's Choice for May 2008. Here is what they said "Ton Koopman completes the exquisite solo oeuvre by Buxtehude with captivating élan. Witness the sheer richness of Buxtehude's luminous textures, as well as the finely drawn and grateful melodic contours." As president of the International Dieterich Buxtehude Society, Koopman is considered to be the world’s leading authority on his music.

The Challenge Classics recording is distinguished.

I saw and heard Ton Koopman last year, performing Buxtehude on the organ. Impressive musician. He has his own label by the way.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/3/3f/Tonkoopman.jpeg/220px-Tonkoopman.jpeg

Ton Koopman (http://www.tonkoopman.nl/)

cma29
07-26-2013, 05:18 PM
Welcome back to the "cool" music thread, Bart.

Toccata
07-26-2013, 10:07 PM
I've been on a long road trip from Northern CA to Victoria and Vancouver, B.C., so I've been at the mercy of Sirius Radio! Fortunately, they've played some great music. I did find a brick and mortar CD/LP store in Victoria and bought this SACD:

http://cps-static.rovicorp.com/3/JPG_400/MI0003/486/MI0003486939.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

I'm looking forward to firing it up at home next week! Oh, I suppose I could listen to it in the car, but I'd rather savor it in all its glory at home.

Josquin des Prez
07-26-2013, 10:38 PM
I've been on a long road trip from Northern CA to Victoria and Vancouver, B.C., so I've been at the mercy of Sirius Radio! Fortunately, they've played some great music. I did find a brick and mortar CD/LP store in Victoria and bought this SACD:

I'm looking forward to firing it up at home next week! Oh, I suppose I could listen to it in the car, but I'd rather savor it in all its glory at home.

Jonathan Plowright solo Brahms on this recording is excellent. I love the Handel Variations. I also have Arrau's recording from the 70s. I look forward to hearing more Brahms from Plowright.

AudioNut
07-26-2013, 11:02 PM
I'll join in the fun and play some Brahms piano . . . .

Listening to . . . . Brahms Piano Sonatas 1 & 2

Sviatoslav Richter - Piano

Amazing virtuosity - Richter has been called "the" pianist of the 20th century and this recording lends credence to that appellation.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41YOyJICIaL.jpg

Antonmb
07-27-2013, 12:15 AM
Changing gears from the baroque to Richard Strauss...

Strauss, R: Also sprach Zarathustra, Op. 30, Till Eulenspiegels lustige Streiche, Op. 28, Don Juan, Op. 20, Berliner Philharmoniker, Herbert von Karajan

The playing by the BPO in this set is glorious and in Strauss Karajan is hard to beat. The 1973 recording, done at the Jesus-Christus-Kirche, is very good indeed.

+1, a very nice recording

AudioNut
07-27-2013, 07:17 AM
Listening to . . . . Radu Lupu - Schumann & Grieg Piano Concertos

Radu Lupu - Piano
London Symphony Orchestra - Andre Previn, Conductor

A London LP, recorded in 1973

Superb performances by Radu Lupu and the LSO. Excellent sound quality. Chosen by Harry Pearson to be included on his list of the best-ever LP's, an honor, IMHO, well deserved.

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NDQ1WDQ5OA==/z/VsQAAOxyo4lRjnXV/$T2eC16ZHJF8FFqK,IU4VBRjn(VbeR!~~60_12.JPG

AudioNut
07-27-2013, 07:34 AM
Welcome back to the "cool" music thread, Bart.

Yeah, Bart, why on earth would anyone spend an afternoon listening to Kate Bush

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-A0qt9X8zA-M/TzFOPv1P2lI/AAAAAAAArbs/IZMmv1-QDKQ/s400/KATE7.jpg

When they could be listening to Brunhilde ? ? ?

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-dhaxv9kirMI/T2lle4W8_3I/AAAAAAAALAs/5OlbkB5OjBs/s400/GiantBrunhilde.jpg

bart
07-27-2013, 02:55 PM
Yeah, Bart, why on earth would anyone spend an afternoon listening to Kate Bush

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-A0qt9X8zA-M/TzFOPv1P2lI/AAAAAAAArbs/IZMmv1-QDKQ/s400/KATE7.jpg

When they could be listening to Brunhilde ? ? ?

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-dhaxv9kirMI/T2lle4W8_3I/AAAAAAAALAs/5OlbkB5OjBs/s400/GiantBrunhilde.jpg

:lmao:

When I was 13, she appeared in a lot of my dreams... Kate Bush I mean. :D

Tonight, I'm again in utter admiration for Glenn Gould, and for the composer himself of course.
Probably the best keyboard music ever written.

Bach - The Goldberg Variations 1955

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/418MHFWAF7L.jpg

Toccata
07-27-2013, 09:27 PM
I'll join in the fun and play some Brahms piano . . . .

Listening to . . . . Brahms Piano Sonatas 1 & 2

Sviatoslav Richter - Piano

Amazing virtuosity - Richter has been called "the" pianist of the 20th century and this recording lends credence to that appellation.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41YOyJICIaL.jpg

Are those the same performances as on this new Praga SACD?

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51b4Pli0ZML._SY300_.jpg

Praga has released many of Richter's old recordings. Obviously, the SACDs are merely remastered and better preserve the limitations of the original recordings! :D

AudioNut
07-28-2013, 07:43 AM
Are those the same performances as on this new Praga SACD?

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51b4Pli0ZML._SY300_.jpg

I believe that they are, but when I looked, the new Praga was not yet available. I do plan to order it.

AudioNut
07-28-2013, 07:54 AM
Listening to . . . Vivaldi - Gloria and Bach - Magnificat

Boston Baroque - Martin Perlman, Director

A Telarc SACD, recorded in 2006

An adequate recording of these two beautiful works. Excellent voices, very clean, dynamic recording with very good sound quality.

I bought this recording because I was looking for an SACD which might be "better" than the CD's and LP's I already owned. In two words, "it isn't".

Good but doesn't win any prizes.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51Md0gLhh8L.jpg

BlueChiaro
07-28-2013, 12:07 PM
It's been a looong time since I've been here, but I'm visiting fellow AA'er JohnK, and we felt that Julian would enjoy seeing his recent acquisition. We might even listen to it before the day is over! I hope you are all well! :thumbsup:

http://i1127.photobucket.com/albums/l633/BlueChiaro/20130728_111137-1_resized_zps094212b0.jpg

chessman
07-28-2013, 12:15 PM
It's been a looong time since I've been here, but I'm visiting fellow AA'er JohnK, and we felt that Julian would enjoy seeing his recent acquisition. We might even listen to it before the day is over! I hope you are all well! :thumbsup:

http://i1127.photobucket.com/albums/l633/BlueChiaro/20130728_111137-1_resized_zps094212b0.jpg

It has been waaay too long. Come around more often! :D

AudioNut
07-28-2013, 01:47 PM
Yeah Robert, You have really been missed, but with your political campaign in full swing,
I guess you just don't have time for us anymore (see my next post)

And, if you think your old monaural record is good . . . you should hear it in LIVING STEREO,
wow, us non-thnkers should truly rejoice that such good sounds are available to us . .

http://www.audiophileusa.com/covers400water/14860.jpg

AudioNut
07-28-2013, 02:10 PM
Listening to . . . Moussorgsky - Pictures at an Exhibition and Gynastera - Sonata No. 1, Op 22

Hyperion Knight - Piano

Pictures at an Exhibition was written originally for the piano and was later transcribed for orchestra.

This recording is spectacular - Recorded by (the) David Wilson on his Wilson Audiophile Label and presented here on a perfect surfaces LP.

Wonderful performance, outstanding recording and sound quality.

http://mobile.collectorsfrenzy.com/gallery/350519826207.jpg

BlueChiaro
07-28-2013, 03:19 PM
Yeah Robert, You have really been missed, but with your political campaign in full swing,
I guess you just don't have time for us anymore (see my next post)

And, if you think your old monaural record is good . . . you should hear it in LIVING STEREO,
wow, us non-thnkers should truly rejoice that such good sounds are available to us . .

Alas, Julian, the only non thinker, here, is me! Perhaps that would qualify me for that supposed political campaign. :yes:

I do need to visit more frequently...

AudioNut
07-28-2013, 03:26 PM
Listening to . . . Another of Dave Wilson's spectacular recordings on LP

Gershwin By Knight

Hyperion Knight - Piano

A Wilson Audio Audiophile LP, recorded in 1992

Hyperion Knight is a splendid pianist and Gershwin wrote splendid music - combined, they are superb.

“Not since Heifetz has anyone played Gershwin solos with this much
panache…the songs glitter like jewels against black satin.”
American Record Guide

http://blog.silversea.com/image.axd?picture=2013%2F3%2FHyperionKnight.jpg . . . . http://www.popsike.eu/pix/20120405/360448620765.jpg

AudioNut
07-28-2013, 05:03 PM
Playing an RCA Living Stereo SACD

Copland - Billy the Kid, Rodeo
Grofe - Grand Canyon Suite

Morton Gould and His Orchestra

Very dynamic, very well played, excellent sound quality. One would think of Morton Gould as being lightweight - but aside from the "pops/light classical" quality of the compositions themselves, this is anything but. A very nice SACD

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61vg90gMM6L._SS500_.jpg

Toccata
07-29-2013, 01:54 AM
Listening to . . . Moussorgsky - Pictures at an Exhibition and Gynastera - Sonata No. 1, Op 22

Hyperion Knight - Piano

Pictures at an Exhibition was written originally for the piano and was later transcribed for orchestra.

This recording is spectacular - Recorded by (the) David Wilson on his Wilson Audiophile Label and presented here on a perfect surfaces LP.

Wonderful performance, outstanding recording and sound quality.

That disc is currently selling for $188! :eek2:

AudioNut
07-29-2013, 06:32 AM

That disc is currently selling for $188! :eek2:

Sold !!!!! to Toccata.

AudioNut
07-29-2013, 06:51 AM
Listening to . . . A Pentatone SACD

W.A. Mozart Concertone for 2 Violins and Orchestra in C K190, Rondo in C major, K. 373, Sinfonia concertante in E flat major, K. 364

Julia Fischer - Violin
Gordan Nikolic - Violin

Netherlands Chamber Orchestra - Yakov Kreizberg, Conductor

Excellent, excellent, excellent on all counts. Stellar performances and superb sound. Others have criticized this recording as not being the best interpretation of the original score, but, not being a Mozart scholar, I listen for flow, beauty, sound quality, soundstaging, imaging and this SACD is just absolutely perfect and I love it.

Julia Fischer is marvelous, and when the world lost Yakov Kreizberg to a fatal accident, we lost one of this century's very best conductors.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51Eyo9z4ghL.jpg

AudioNut
07-29-2013, 09:43 AM
Our Very Own Robert - Blue Chiaro - is running for mayor of NYC

Shown here in a picture taken at his campaign kickoff

"A Wiener in every pot" sez he.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/66105_607479319285977_603354919_n.jpg

bart
07-29-2013, 02:53 PM

Sold !!!!! to Toccata.

:tresbon:

Congrats John!
Or should I say Julian?! :D

bart
07-29-2013, 02:59 PM
Bach: Goldberg Variations
Glenn Gould - 1981 recording

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31R5GQMN39L.jpg

Difficult to choose between the 2.
The '81 version is a lot slower, and accentuates some emotions better than the '55.
The sound is better too.
The humming is also louder, it seems, but it doesn't really disturb me.
The '55 might be better when you're in a very energetic mood.

cma29
07-29-2013, 03:47 PM
Bach: Goldberg Variations
Glenn Gould - 1981 recording

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31R5GQMN39L.jpg

Difficult to choose between the 2.
The '81 version is a lot slower, and accentuates some emotions better than the '55.
The sound is better too.
The humming is also louder, it seems, but it doesn't really disturb me.
The '55 might be better when you're in a very energetic mood.

Thanks for sharing, Bart.

The version I enjoy is with Matthew Halls on the harpsichord from Linn Records.

http://i.prs.to/t_200/linnckd356.jpg

For baroque keyboard music, I prefer versions played on the harpsichord. This is the only version of the Goldberg I have, so I cannot make comparisons, but I really like this Linn recording. The sound of the harpsichord is the best I've heard through reproduced medium (not an SACD, but rather an HDCD recording). The only odd thing is that the Goldberg is split over two discs.

Josquin des Prez
07-29-2013, 06:09 PM
Listening to . . . Brahms Symphony No. 1

From the box set Johannes Brahms - The Four Symphonies

The Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra - Herbert von Karajan, Conductor

Deutsche Grammophon LP's and winner of the Grand Prix du Disque - Paris

Excellent performances and great sounding LP's - 4 record set with a very nice descriptive booklet.

And I am sorry about the image size.

http://www.theanalogdept.com/images/spp6_pics/Vinyl%20pics/Brahms/DSC_6188.jpg

After Julian posted this a month ago, I went looking for it. First I found a copy in Germany that also bundles the Violin Concerto, German Requiem and Haydn Variations. That came last week after waiting three weeks in transit. Sadly, the records were not NM as described but anywhere from unplayable to VG+. Fortunately the seller accepted my re-grading and refunded all my money (incl. shipping) when I requested.

Right after that I found another one on eBay in Chicago for $120. I offered $90 with free shipping and the seller accepted, so that ended up being $13 more than I paid for the first one. That came today. I just cleaned up the first record (it was not visibly dirty and surfaces are shiny), put it on to play, and am happy to report it is mint. I think this must have only ever been played once. The surface is nice and quiet with minimal ticks and pops. It sounds awesome. I hope the other six records clean up and play this well. Not bad for a 50 year old record.

So I am playing that first record now. It sounds excellent! :thumbsup:
Johannes Brahms, "Violin Concerto in D"
Christian Ferras, violin
Karajan/Berliner
DGG SKL 133/139 (7 LP)

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/KARAJAN-brahms-4-symphonies-7-LP-Mint-SKL-133-139-Vinyl-Record-/00/s/NTUwWDU0OA==/z/oTIAAOxy--NRqSMw/$T2eC16V,!wsE9suw)po6BRqSMw(71g~~60_3.JPG

cma29
07-29-2013, 11:29 PM
After Julian posted this a month ago, I went looking for it. First I found a copy in Germany that also bundles the Violin Concerto, German Requiem and Haydn Variations. That came last week after waiting three weeks in transit. Sadly, the records were not NM as described but anywhere from unplayable to VG+. Fortunately the seller accepted my re-grading and refunded all my money (incl. shipping) when I requested.

Right after that I found another one on eBay in Chicago for $120. I offered $90 with free shipping and the seller accepted, so that ended up being $13 more than I paid for the first one. That came today. I just cleaned up the first record (it was not visibly dirty and surfaces are shiny), put it on to play, and am happy to report it is mint. I think this must have only ever been played once. The surface is nice and quiet with minimal ticks and pops. It sounds awesome. I hope the other six records clean up and play this well. Not bad for a 50 year old record.

Christian Ferras, violin
Karajan/Berliner
DGG SKL 133/139 (7 LP)

Nice to hear it worked out for you.

Must say that the the picture of HvK on the cover looks great. He was an elegant, handsome man.

bart
07-30-2013, 02:31 AM

Christian Ferras, violin
Karajan/Berliner
DGG SKL 133/139 (7 LP)

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/KARAJAN-brahms-4-symphonies-7-LP-Mint-SKL-133-139-Vinyl-Record-/00/s/NTUwWDU0OA==/z/oTIAAOxy--NRqSMw/$T2eC16V,!wsE9suw)po6BRqSMw(71g~~60_3.JPG

Well Dean, I must admit: vinyl lovers have a more exciting life than CD aficionados. :yes:
Thanks for sharing this adventure.

AudioNut
07-30-2013, 06:19 AM
Listening to . . . Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart - Piano Concertos Nos. 9 & 18

Leif Ove Andsnes - Piano and Director
Norwegian Chamber Orchestra

An EMI CD recorded in 2003 at the Jar church, Oslo, Norway

Not so famous or well known as a lot of his contempories on the piano, Andsnes is a true genius on that instrument nevertheless.
This cd is a treasure trove of good sounds.

Any old Mozart Piano Concerto is gorgeous and these two are certainly not exceptions. A real treat for the ears!
The kind of music my little Sonus Faber Guarneri Mementos were made to bring to my listening room.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51BlaDeHsvL.jpg

cma29
07-30-2013, 11:56 AM
I'm enjoying Mozart as well...

Mozart:
Horn Concerto No. 1 in D major, K412
Horn Concerto No. 4 in E flat major, K495
Horn Concerto No. 2 in E flat major, K417
Horn Concerto No. 3 in E flat major, K447
Barry Tuckwell (horn)
English Chamber Orchestra

http://content.answcdn.com/main/content/img/amg/classical_albums/cov200/cl100/l131/l131906hr2v.jpg

These horn concerti are delightful. Barry Tuckwell has recorded this cycle several times. I have the one with the English Chamber Orchestra and I cannot image these works being played better than they are here. The Decca sound on this 1984 recording is rich and has an appealing bloom - an excellent disc.

Josquin des Prez
07-30-2013, 12:12 PM
Well Dean, I must admit: vinyl lovers have a more exciting life than CD aficionados. :yes:
Thanks for sharing this adventure.

The thrill of the hunt! :music:

Josquin des Prez
07-30-2013, 12:13 PM
Nice to hear it worked out for you.

Must say that the the picture of HvK on the cover looks great. He was an elegant, handsome man.
I don't know. I think that that photo of him looks a little creepy. :scratch2:

cma29
07-30-2013, 12:27 PM
More Mozart...

Mozart: Clarinet Concerto K.622, Emma Johnson, English Chamber Orchestra, Raymond Leppard

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51EI7tfBRLL.jpg

An oldie but goodie disc from the 1980's on the ASV label. This is one of the CDs I bought when I first got into classical music during my college days. I still like it and thus have kept it for over 20 years. Seems like all good Mozart concerto recordings used the English Chamber Orchestra, but I seldom see them used for other composers. The recording is very good with prominent placement of the clarinet near the mic.

cma29
07-30-2013, 01:21 PM
Here is a guilty pleasure...

Tchaikovsky: Swan Lake, Op. 20, Orchestre symphonique de Montréal, Charles Dutoit

https://d27t0qkxhe4r68.cloudfront.net/t_300/28943621229.jpg?1464793713

This account of Swan Lake is a delight throughout thanks to the richly idiomatic playing of Charles Dutoit and his Montreal orchestra in the superb location of St Eustache's Church. You do not have to be a ballet aficionado to fall under the spell of this wonderful music, which here receives a performance that blends passion with refinement and is glowingly recorded.

I always get goose bumps listening to Act IV (tracks 13-17 on CD #2).

Josquin des Prez
07-30-2013, 01:24 PM
Here is a guilty pleasure...

Tchaikovsky: Swan Lake, Op. 20, Orchestre symphonique de Montréal, Charles Dutoit

This account of Swan Lake is a delight throughout thanks to the richly idiomatic playing of Charles Dutoit and his Montreal orchestra in the superb location of St Eustache's Church. You do not have to be a ballet aficionado to fall under the spell of this wonderful music, which here receives a performance that blends passion with refinement and is glowingly recorded.

I always get goose bumps listening to Act IV (tracks 13-17 on CD #2).

:thumbsup:I don't think that is guilty pleasure. I am at work and listening to my iPod with headphones: Fischer/Budapest Tchaikovsky Symphony 4

To hear Tchaikovsky's symphonies you have to play the ballets, and to hear his ballets you have to play the symphonies.

cma29
07-30-2013, 01:49 PM
Staying with Tchaikovsky...

Tchaikovsky: Symphony No. 6 in B minor, Op. 74 'Pathétique', Russian National Orchestra, Mikhail Pletnev

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRAI9_gq8ZvueXHI4SQQ5b4DWt9skx_E cCTg_8pKUPd9rhv7qC4

This was selected as one of Gramophone's 100 Greatest Recordings of all time (the 1991 Virgin Classics version not the later DG or PentaTone versions). Here is what they say about it:

"There's no denying that Russian orchestras bring a special intensity to Tchaikovsky, and to this Symphony in particular. But, in the past, we have had to contend with lethal, vibrato-laden brass and variable Soviet engineering. Not any more.
Pianist Mikhail Pletnev formed this orchestra in 1990 from the front ranks of the major Soviet orchestras, and the result here is now regarded as a classic. The brass still retain their penetrating power, and an extraordinary richness and solemnity before the Symphony's coda; the woodwind make a very melancholy choir; and the strings possess not only the agility to cope with Pletnev's aptly death-defying speed for the third movement march, but beauty of tone for Tchaikovsky's yearning cantabiles. Pletnev exerts the same control over his players as he does over his fingers, to superb effect. The dynamic range is huge and comfortably reproduced with clarity, natural perspectives, a sense of instruments playing in a believable acoustic space, and a necessarily higher volume setting than usual."

I really like this music and this recording. The brass in the 1st movement climax (starting around 10 minutes into track #1) is absolutely stunning. Wow.

AudioNut
07-30-2013, 04:15 PM
Now, this is an Organ Record that you will long remember!

Listening to another of those spectacular Dave Wilson - Wilson Audiophile Records - an LP

Recorded in the All Saints Episcopal Church - Palo Alto California in August & September 1977.

Played on both a superb sounding Flentrop Tracker Organ and a giant Holtkamp - Moller Organ (4334 pipes)

Listening to . . . . Concert

James B. Welch - Organist

http://www.popsike.com/pix/20120514/221024225670.jpg

AudioNut
07-30-2013, 10:36 PM
C'mon Y'all . . . . Let's listen to some music ♬ ♪ ♬

And, I am listening to some gorgeous stuff on an elderly BIS LP (Their catalogue number LP-8)

Clas Pehrsson

Anders-Per Jonsson
Musica Dolce

Drottingholms Barokensemble

Clas Pehrsson and Anders-Per Jonsson - Recorder

Music by Telemann, A. Scarlatti, Heinichen, de Boismortier

Recorded in Germany by BIS in 1975

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/Clas-Pehrsson-Telemann-Scarlatti-Heinichen-De-Boismortier-VG-LP-Germany-/00/s/MTAxOFgxMDI0/$(KGrHqNHJBME9!HCynGPBPTSEFrBYg~~60_12.JPG

Antonmb
07-30-2013, 11:19 PM
Johann Sebastian Bach - Bach: Chromatic Fantasy & Fugue in D Minor; Partita No. 5 in G; Partita No. 6 in E minor
Alexis Weissenberg on piano; Angel S-36437

Nice enough sound but a rather dramatic and showy performance. Lots of dynamic contrast and tempo variation (sometimes too fast), and forte chords. Picked this up at an estate sale and it's in great condition, but I think it'll end up back in somebody else's used bin. I was not familiar with Weissenberg before. he seems technically good but I like my Bach a little less flashy and personalized.

AudioNut
07-30-2013, 11:41 PM
Johann Sebastian Bach - Bach: Chromatic Fantasy & Fugue in D Minor; Partita No. 5 in G; Partita No. 6 in E minor

http://www.audioaficionado.org/attachments/music/28499-what-classical-music-you-listening-tonight-image-2282747900.jpg

Nice enough sound but a rather dramatic and showy performance. Lots of dynamic contrast and tempo variation (sometimes too fast), and forte chords. Picked this up at an estate sale and it's in great condition, but I think it'll end up back in somebody else's used bin. I was not familiar with Weissenberg before. he seems technically good but I like my Bach a little less flashy and personalized.

You know, one of the nicest things I find in this thread is the fact that we take time to offer comments
and often go one step further and make fair assessments of the music and recordings we spend our time listening to - good or bad -

I made a remark in one of the other listening threads, asking folks to comment on their recordings
and was quickly told that "if we didn't like it, we wouldn't play it - and you know, folks, "It ain't necessarily so".

Thanks to all of you who make the little extra effort to help each other, and make it easier to decide what we should consider for our own listening pleasure.

I absolutely love this thread and feel a sense of kinship and friendship with each of you who post here.

cma29
07-31-2013, 12:00 AM
You know, one of the nicest things I find in this thread is the fact that we take time to offer comments
and often go one step further and make fair assessments of the music and recordings we spend our time listening to - good or bad -

I made a remark in one of the other listening threads, asking folks to comment on their recordings
and was quickly told that "if we didn't like it, we wouldn't play it - and you know, folks, "It ain't necessarily so".

Thanks to all of you who make the little extra effort to help each other, and make it easier to decide what we should consider for our own listening pleasure.

I absolutely love this thread and feel a sense of kinship and friendship with each of you who post here.

Completely agree, Julian. I definitely feel like I've made some friends here sharing opinions and going back and forth on various topics. I'm glad I found you guys!

You set the high standard for this thread and I am more than happy to follow your example (however I could never be as witty or as funny as you are). It takes a little more work to say something about what we are listening to, but it is so much more rewarding for all of us.

Antonmb
07-31-2013, 12:20 AM

I'm relatively new to this thread, and suspect I don't play nearly as much classical or have the depth of knowledge of Julian and others so i probably won't post as often, but I do very much appreciate the comments. I think this is especially valuable for classical where there are so many composers and such an incredible variety of recordings of works that I, for one, can use the helpful commentary. I think popular music (rock, jazz, folk, etc) is easier in that sense - the great performances are usually singular to the artist and often well known to us. There is only one performance of Jimi Hendrix's Band of Gypsys that matters, and we all know it, whereas I have 4 or 5 performances of Smetana's Ma Vlast and am sure there are dozens more. Thanks for all the interesting comments and the direction to great performances.

bart
07-31-2013, 02:40 AM
I'm relatively new to this thread, and suspect I don't play nearly as much classical or have the depth of knowledge of Julian and others so i probably won't post as often, but I do very much appreciate the comments. I think this is especially valuable for classical where there are so many composers and such an incredible variety of recordings of works that I, for one, can use the helpful commentary. I think popular music (rock, jazz, folk, etc) is easier in that sense - the great performances are usually singular to the artist and often well known to us. There is only one performance of Jimi Hendrix's Band of Gypsys that matters, and we all know it, whereas I have 4 or 5 performances of Smetana's Ma Vlast and am sure there are dozens more. Thanks for all the interesting comments and the direction to great performances.

Tony, well said!

And the surplus here is that we all like good sound, so besides a description of the performance, we get information about the recording quality too.

AudioNut
07-31-2013, 07:03 AM
Listening to . . . Beethoven Piano Sonatas - Volume II (of 9)
"Waldstein" - Sonata No. 21 in C, Op. 53
"Tempest" - Sonata No. 17 in D minor Op. 31/2
"Les Adieux" - Sonata No. 26 in Eb. Op. 81a

John O'Conor - piano

A Telarc CD, recorded in 1987

Marvellous piano playing - O'Conor probably not so well known as many of his contemporaries but he should be. I don't sit around listening to piano sonatas very often, but when I do, I usually pull out a volume or two of this wonderful Telarc set. Great performances, excellent sound. O'Conor's playing is exquisite, his pacing perfection, and the Telarc recording captures the piano perfectly.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51riUzX98dL.jpg

Antonmb
07-31-2013, 10:12 AM
Listening to . . . Beethoven Piano Sonatas - Volume II (of 9)
"Waldstein" - Sonata No. 21 in C, Op. 53
"Tempest" - Sonata No. 17 in D minor Op. 31/2
"Les Adieux" - Sonata No. 26 in Eb. Op. 81a

John O'Conor - piano

A Telarc CD, recorded in 1987

Marvellous piano playing - O'Conor probably not so well known as many of his contemporaries but he should be. I don't sit around listening to piano sonatas very often, but when I do, I usually pull out a volume or two of this wonderful Telarc set. Great performances, excellent sound. O'Conor's playing is exquisite, his pacing perfection, and the Telarc recording captures the piano perfectly.

+1. These are my favorite recordings of the Beethoven sonatas. You're right he's no so well known, but for my money O'Conor has the perfect touch for this music.

Josquin des Prez
07-31-2013, 10:28 AM

+1

I abandoned the Jazz thread because it mostly turned into yet another record cover catalog, and not much else (except for a small handful of people posting). I cannot even tell what's being played because there is nothing but an image I can't read.

This is the only music listening thread I participate in now.

cma29
07-31-2013, 01:25 PM
Today I decided to hear a disc I ordered several months ago, but never even unwrapped...

Bartók: Violin Concerto No. 2, Arabella Steinbacher (violin), Orchestre de la Suisse Romande, Marek Janowski

http://i.prs.to/t_200/pentatoneptc5186350.jpg

...the reason being that I spend most of my listening time on Baroque, Classic and Romantic music, and Bartók is a 20th century composer. I'm glad I finally decided to listen to this PentaTone SACD. Concerto # 2 is really basic repertoire and here it receives a very detailed account that allows Bartók's creation to come to life. Check out the woodwinds supporting the violin during the concerto's first theme. Later, in the first movement the subtle string pizzicatos come through clearly. It's a very transparent recording and the interpretation won a Gramophone Magazine Editor's Choice award.

Toccata
07-31-2013, 03:15 PM

His intense style is better suited for Rachmaninov:

http://i43.tower.com/images/mm106014584/rachmaninov-piano-sonatas-nos-1-2-weissenberg-cd-cover-art.jpg

chops-tube
07-31-2013, 05:06 PM
For having only four 6" drivers in sealed enclosures and 25 watts to push them, "Come Sweet Death" rattled the heck out of our apartment and even brought a tear to my eye. It's been a long time since I've played my system that loud, but this piece is worth it and it brings great emotion.

If you don't know what I'm talking about, purchase it and listen to it. If you do know what I have, and you have it, go get it and listen to it! I listened to it twice! :D

http://a248.e.akamai.net/origin-cdn.volusion.com/3pvgr.scms9/v/vspfiles/photos/G-49240-2.jpg

bart
07-31-2013, 05:59 PM
Vinci - Artaserse

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51YJg9HXi6L._SY450__PJautoripBadge,BottomRight,4,-40_OU11__.jpg http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51ZOqldNirL._SX450_.jpg

Disc of the month in "Stereo" some 9 months ago.
Rave reviews in other magazines.
And it is well deserved!
Fantastic singing, playing. The recording is impeccable.
Multiple variations of the same theme, but very addictive. I do not mind listening to all 3 CDs in one go.

AudioNut
07-31-2013, 06:31 PM
For having only four 6" drivers in sealed enclosures and 25 watts to push them, "Come Sweet Death" rattled the heck out of our apartment and even brought a tear to my eye. It's been a long time since I've played my system that loud, but this piece is worth it and it brings great emotion.

If you don't know what I'm talking about, purchase it and listen to it. If you do know what I have, and you have it, go get it and listen to it! I listened to it twice! :D

http://a248.e.akamai.net/origin-cdn.volusion.com/3pvgr.scms9/v/vspfiles/photos/G-49240-2.jpg

Very interesting - love to hear it - and thanks for posting.

Julian

AudioNut
07-31-2013, 10:20 PM
Listening to . . . . Romantic Orchestral Music

London Symphony Orchestra - Andre Previn, Conductor

Music by Albinoni, Rachmaninoff, Prokofiev, Holst and Ravel

This disc is so old that I had to get up twice while playing side one and move the "stuck needle". I know I've had this record for at least 40 years and have played it to death. Obviously way out of print because I can't find a trace of an album cover picture. So this picture of Andre Previn at the piano will have to do, although there is no piano music on this record - he just waves his baton on this one! (and waves it darn well, If I must say so.)

But the thing is - This record is unbelievably beautiful.

http://assets1.lso.co.uk/images/Previn_M_W_718_288.jpg

cma29
07-31-2013, 10:47 PM

Cool. Thanks for sharing.

I've seen (but not heard) that organ. It's located in the Grand Court of the now Macy's department store in downtown Philadelphia on Market St. This is an old-school department store with a Beaux-Arts architecture style (see the picture). The space is similar to the old Marshall Field's on Chicago State St (now Macy's as well). The Chicago store does not have a Wanamaker organ though!

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/43/Wanamakers_Organ_at_Macys_Philadelphia.jpg

cma29
07-31-2013, 11:03 PM
Tonight I'm enjoying...

Vivaldi for diverse instruments: Nicholas McGegan, Philharmonia Baroque Orchestra

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51u0Hle7bqL._SY300_.jpg

This is a magnificent recording by the Reference Recordings label. The CD includes six concerti in various configurations (example: violin, 2 horns, 2 oboes and bassoon) which work extremely well together. The music is light and enjoyable -just right for a quiet evening or early morning listening session. Check it out.

Ranchomirage
08-01-2013, 12:00 AM
Pleasant surprise, just tripped over a sealed SACD copy of Copland played and recorded by The Royal Philharmonic (RPO) with
great down to earth liner notes (so rare) and also learned they are the only orchestra that produces their own recordings. The SACD
sounds top notch and all for $7.95 at a Half-Price Book Store in McKinney, Texas. Very nice presentations of Fanfare For The Common
Man, Billy The Kid and El Salon Mexico. Again, the liner notes were a surprise as someone actually took the time to provide some
Intelligent and enjoyable anecdotal info - enjoyed reading that as much as the recording.

R. Mirage

Audiofan1
08-01-2013, 03:20 AM
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/81whyaIzG6L._SL1417_.jpg
This is a two first for me one is Prokofiev and two an LSO sacd, and friend of mine at work suggested his work and I must admit its indeed my cup of tea as I have an affinity for Russian works , the playing on this one is great and the recording good as well. I look forward to more and suggestions?

Audiofan1
08-01-2013, 03:27 AM
Wow sorry that was a bit big!

AudioNut
08-01-2013, 07:47 AM
Wow sorry that was a bit big!

Big picture, little picture, no picture at all . .. . Doesn't matter. . . . The important thing is the fact that you are posting here, and we are glad that you are.

I think I've got to get that "disc of the year". Love the music and this must be a "special" performance and recording.

Thanks.

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B002VFCE9C.01.L.jpg

AudioNut
08-01-2013, 07:55 AM
Pleasant surprise, just tripped over a sealed SACD copy of Copland played and recorded by The Royal Philharmonic (RPO) with
great down to earth liner notes (so rare) and also learned they are the only orchestra that produces their own recordings. The SACD
sounds top notch and all for $7.95 at a Half-Price Book Store in McKinney, Texas. Very nice presentations of Fanfare For The Common
Man, Billy The Kid and El Salon Mexico. Again, the liner notes were a surprise as someone actually took the time to provide some
Intelligent and enjoyable anecdotal info - enjoyed reading that as much as the recording.

R. Mirage

Welcome Ranchomirage . . . This thread needs folks like you posting here! Your description and recommendation made me want to look for the recording.

Is this the SACD you have?

http://cps-static.rovicorp.com/3/JPG_400/MI0001/135/MI0001135723.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

Kal Rubinson
08-01-2013, 10:54 AM
I've seen (but not heard) that organ. It's located in the Grand Court of the now Macy's department store in downtown Philadelphia on Market St. This is an old-school department store with a Beaux-Arts architecture style (see the picture).

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/43/Wanamakers_Organ_at_Macys_Philadelphia.jpg

Last year, my wife and I went to Philadelphia to visit my granddaughter who was in grad school there and we just dropped into the Macy's "for a minute." We saw a sign that there would be an organ recital in 1/2 hour, so we stuck around. It was an hour of Wagner transcriptions which were great but the music and the organ sound palled after a while because of their consistency. More varied programming might have helped but it was really a rehearsal for a more formal presentation on the weekend.

Still, it was a pleasure to hear. What are the odds of stumbling onto a rehearsal of the Guckenheimer Sourkrout Band?

Toccata
08-01-2013, 12:21 PM
I'm enjoying this new Arts SACD of Ravel piano music and it's stunning! Ms. Ammara is a new artist for me, and she is most impressive. Until I acquired this disc, Andre Gavrilov's and Ivo Pogorelich's recordings of "Gaspard de la nuit" were my favorites--now she joins their company. Each emphasizes different voices and nuances, so it's hard to have an absolute favorite, but I like what she does with the piece (and "Mirrors"), and her recording quality is vastly superior to either.

http://www.jpc.de/image/w600/front/0/0600554776385.jpg

Antonmb
08-01-2013, 01:47 PM
Anton Bruckner - Motets, performed by the Czech Philharmonic Choir, MDG recording in 24/96 flac from HDtracks. Soundstage is a little narrow but tonal quality, dynamics and sense of space very nice, an excellent recording and beautiful performance.

Antonmb
08-01-2013, 01:48 PM
I'm enjoying this new Arts SACD of Ravel piano music and it's stunning! Ms. Ammara is a new artist for me, and she is most impressive. Until I acquired this disc, Andre Gavrilov's and Ivo Pogorelich's recordings of "Gaspard de la nuit" were my favorites--now she joins their company. Each emphasizes different voices and nuances, so it's hard to have an absolute favorite, but I like what she does with the piece (and "Mirrors"), and her recording quality is vastly superior to either.

Excellent, I've just started exploring Ravel, I'll look for this.

Audiofan1
08-01-2013, 02:38 PM
Here's my best buy of year thus far and a nice venture into Modern composers , this disc is worthy of top shelf status and sure to provoke further exploration I give you Ives/Brant ( A concord Symphony) & Copland (Organ Symphony) with Paul Jacobs on organ, Michael tilson Thomas and the SFS deliver another superb performance and caught me completely off guard as I was able to get lost in this one and enjoy the ride as the pace was rather whimsical at times and a bit fun, this only aided in bringing the performance into the room. This is an easily highly recommended reference performance both in sonics and playing as well!

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51lQ7uIQPqL._AA160_.jpg

bart
08-01-2013, 03:41 PM

http://www.jpc.de/image/w600/front/0/0600554776385.jpg

I love these works!
I have this version (and some others on CD):

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61CBNBhMQ5L.jpg http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/313NN1nRM%2BL.jpg

Fabulous! :thumbsup:

cma29
08-01-2013, 03:52 PM
Here's my best buy of year thus far and a nice venture into Modern composers , this disc is worthy of top shelf status and sure to provoke further exploration I give you Ives/Brant ( A concord Symphony) & Copland (Organ Symphony) with Paul Jacobs on organ, Michael tilson Thomas and the SFS deliver another superb performance and caught me completely off guard as I was able to get lost in this one and enjoy the ride as the pace was rather whimsical at times and a bit fun, this only aided in bringing the performance into the room. This is an easily highly recommended reference performance both in sonics and playing as well!

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51lQ7uIQPqL._AA160_.jpg

Thanks for sharing this find. I will put in on my Wish List.

Toccata
08-01-2013, 04:48 PM
I love these works!
I have this version (and some others on CD):

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61CBNBhMQ5L.jpg http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/313NN1nRM%2BL.jpg

Fabulous! :thumbsup:

I have that one as well. I'd say Ms. Ammara is a bit more expressive and forceful at times. They both have superb sound--hers is perhaps a touch richer sounding.

Don C
08-01-2013, 09:32 PM
Beethoven - Piano Concerto No. 5 "Emperor"
Murray Perahia, Concertgebouw/Haitink
CBS

My favorite Beethoven 5 - classic orch. and conductor pairing and Perahia's playing is so very musical. This recording captures beautifully the power and grandeur of the concert piano, within the limitations of 1987 Redbook technology. As far as orch. vs. solo piano micing and balance is concerned, I think it is a standard against which others may be judged.

cma29
08-01-2013, 11:25 PM
Beethoven - Piano Concerto No. 5 "Emperor"
Murray Perahia, Concertgebouw/Haitink
CBS

My favorite Beethoven 5 - classic orch. and conductor pairing and Perahia's playing is so very musical. This recording captures beautifully the power and grandeur of the concert piano, within the limitations of 1987 Redbook technology. As far as orch. vs. solo piano micing and balance is concerned, I think it is a standard against which others may be judged.

I have the Perahia/Concertgebouw/Haitink 3rd and 4th Beethoven piano concerti and it's musical alchemy. It's like three titans striking sparks off each other. Very good sound is the icing on this musical cake.

bart
08-02-2013, 02:23 AM
I have that one as well. I'd say Ms. Ammara is a bit more expressive and forceful at times. They both have superb sound--hers is perhaps a touch richer sounding.

Thank you for this comparison John!

AudioNut
08-02-2013, 06:49 AM
Sheffield direct to disc LP's, even when compared to the very best results of todays highly sophisticated recording techniques, still hold their own quite well.

Problem with Sheffield was that they recorded far too few classical LP's, and most of their stuff was a little hokey. But when they did do a classical, LP, it was usually good.

This one is excellent.

Listening to the Direct to Disc LP . . . Mozart - Serenade No. 11, Grieg - Four Lyric Pieces

Chicago Symphony Winds

Hard to argue against anything done by first chair members of the Chicago Symphony Orchestra - and here they perform admirably. Excellent performances, superb sound.

http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/6767/2959/1600/4smtscs1.jpg

cma29
08-02-2013, 10:49 AM
Thursday evenings my wife takes care of our 3-year old so I'm free to go out and do whatever (Wednesday is her night off), so I went to the library to relax and read some magazines. While I was there I browsed through their music collection and found two great CDs. First...

Beethoven: Piano Concertos, No. 1 & 3, Leif Ove Andsnes, Mahler Chamber Orchestra

http://i.prs.to/t_200/sony88725420582.jpg

Right from the opening chords of the first concerto you know you are in for something special: great sound, lean responsive orchestra playing, pungent horns, thwacking tympani. The smallish size of the chamber orchestra allows the listener to hear previously unnoticed details in this wonderfully orchestrated concerti. One of my favorite moments in all classical music is the transition from the 1st movement of the 3rd concerto to the second lyrical Largo movement. The change in mood and then the transition from a minor key to a major key is sublime and Andsnes and his young Mahler orchestra play it so well. Good stuff.

cma29
08-02-2013, 12:23 PM
Thursday evenings my wife takes care of our 3-year old so I'm free to go out and do whatever (Wednesday is her night off), so I went to the library to relax and read some magazines. While I was there I browsed through their music collection and found two great CDs.

The second CD was...

Dvorak: Symphonies Nos. 8 & 9
Symphony No. 8 in G major, Op. 88
Symphony No. 9 in E minor, Op. 95 'From the New World'
Berliner Philharmoniker, Rafael Kubelik

http://i.prs.to/t_200/dg4474122.jpg

Selected as one of Gramophone Magazine's 100 Greatest Recordings.

This is a well-known version of these warhorses, but I had not heard them. I really like the interpretation of the 9th symphony (the 8th is good too, but for me the main dish here is the superlative 9th). It has freshness and vigor and the sound is remarkably good capturing the BPO in all of its orchestral playing splendor. I will buy this.

Josquin des Prez
08-02-2013, 12:48 PM
The second CD was...

Dvorak: Symphonies Nos. 8 & 9
Symphony No. 8 in G major, Op. 88
Symphony No. 9 in E minor, Op. 95 'From the New World'
Berliner Philharmoniker, Rafael Kubelik

http://i.prs.to/t_200/dg4474122.jpg

Selected as one of Gramophone Magazine's 100 Greatest Recordings.

This is a well-known version of these warhorses, but I had not heard them. I really like the interpretation of the 9th symphony (the 8th is good too, but for me the main dish here is the superlative 9th). It has freshness and vigor and the sound is remarkably good capturing the BPO in all of its orchestral playing splendor. I will buy this.

This is the benchmark Dvorak 9, IMHO. I have the original DG vinyl, as well as the Clearaudio analog remaster. This is one of my favorite recordings.

Toccata
08-02-2013, 08:06 PM
This new BIS SACD is fantastic on all fronts: music, performance, and audio. (Well, to be hyper-critical, the perspective is a bit distant in the solo works, but the sound is still excellent.)

http://ec2.images-amazon.com/images/I/61U1NCub-KL.jpg

AudioNut
08-03-2013, 06:37 AM
Got up early this morning and decided to listen to a little eye opener with my coffee . . .

Listening to an EMI LP recording of Carl Orff's - Carmina Burana

New Philharmonia Orchestra and Chorus - Rafael Fruhbeck De Burgos, Conductor

Lucia Popp, Gerhard Unger, Raymond Wolansky, John Nobel - soloists

Haven't directly compared versions in a long time, but this has got to be one of the good ones. Excellent voices, great sonics. In a recent thread on AA asking for recommendations on this music, this particular recording was held in high regard.

http://www.classicalvinyl.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/s/a/san162.jpg

AudioNut
08-03-2013, 07:56 AM
The Wilson Audiophile Recordings seem to be universally excellent, and the one I'm listening to this morning is certainly no exception. Beautifully performed by the Francesco Trio, and recorded by David Wilson himself. Nice Dvořák music too.

A Wilson Audiophile LP, recorded in 1984

I am listening this morning to . . . Dvořák - Trio in E minor, Op. 90 The "Dumky

Francesco Trio
David Abel, Violin
Bonnie Hampton, Cello
Nathan Schwartz, Piano

http://www.audiophileusa.com/covers400water/8747.jpg

AudioNut
08-03-2013, 08:16 AM
And for an encore Wilson Audiophile LP, recorded by David Wilson in about 1985

Listening to . . . Treasures for Clarinet and Piano

Charles West - Clarinet
Susan Grace - Piano

Typical of the Wilson Audiophile LP's, the recording is amazing - and the performances are wonderful, but I'm not wild about the music, so I guess I've never played it more than once since I owned it. You guys who like a little more modern fare than I, will probably eat this one up.

And, Toccata John - this one recently went for $187.50 - do you want mine! :D

http://mobile.collectorsfrenzy.com/gallery/140889801324.jpg

Robert_Anderson
08-03-2013, 09:07 AM
http://i529.photobucket.com/albums/dd339/randerson30241/Ring_zpsdf168b91.jpg

I plan on listening to the entire set over a lazy weekend. I might even re-read "The Perfect Wagnerite".

cma29
08-03-2013, 10:05 AM
I plan on listening to the entire set over a lazy weekend. I might even re-read "The Perfect Wagnerite".

Wow. That's an impressive-looking package and the Esoteric SACD remastering must be very good. Enjoy!

Robert_Anderson
08-03-2013, 10:26 AM
Wow. That's an impressive-looking package and the Esoteric SACD remastering must be very good. Enjoy!

The set sounds wonderful. Highly recommended!

Kal Rubinson
08-03-2013, 11:18 AM
Got up early this morning and decided to listen to a little eye opener with my coffee . . .

Listening to an EMI LP recording of Carl Orff's - Carmina Burana

New Philharmonia Orchestra and Chorus - Rafael Fruhbeck De Burgos, Conductor

Lucia Popp, Gerhard Unger, Raymond Wolansky, John Nobel - soloists
This was one of my very favorites for many years. (I can no longer tolerate CB.)

Toccata
08-03-2013, 01:07 PM
The Wilson Audiophile Recordings seem to be universally excellent, and the one I'm listening to this morning is certainly no exception. Beautifully performed by the Francesco Trio, and recorded by David Wilson himself. Nice Dvořák music too.

A Wilson Audiophile LP, recorded in 1984

I am listening this morning to . . . Dvořák - Trio in E minor, Op. 90 The "Dumky

Francesco Trio
David Abel, Violin
Bonnie Hampton, Cello
Nathan Schwartz, Piano

http://www.audiophileusa.com/covers400water/8747.jpg

I downloaded this Wilson recording as one of their new hi-rez files. As I stated in the Wilson Audio thread, the instruments sound good, but the acoustics are bone dry.

http://www.wilsonaudio.com/wilson-audiophile/images/08-01-2013-beethoven-and-enescu-1.jpg

AudioNut
08-03-2013, 01:26 PM
I downloaded this Wilson recording as one of their new hi-rez files. As I stated in the Wilson Audio thread, the instruments sound good, but the acoustics are bone dry.

http://www.wilsonaudio.com/wilson-audiophile/images/08-01-2013-beethoven-and-enescu-1.jpg

Maybe thats what you get when you convert some of the best analogue to digital download! Seriously, the LP's sound really good.

Josquin des Prez
08-03-2013, 01:30 PM
I have never cared for Bach played on a piano. He composed for harpsichord and that's how his keyboard music is voiced. I've never felt like it needed a piano treatment and when I hear it played that way, it just doesn't seem right.

Kenneth Gilbert is one of the great masters of baroque harpsichord music. This is a more recent acquisition (via eBay).

J. S. Bach, "les Suites Françaises" [French Suites for Harpsichord]
Kenneth Gilbert, Harpsichord
Harmonia Mundi France HM 438 (2 LP)

<image is of the CD>

http://rymimg.com/lk/f/l/5ee1ac48cfebcb79b9dce0b053bdb593/2324872.jpg

AudioNut
08-03-2013, 01:33 PM
Listening to a Proprius LP, recorded in 1976

HÅKAN HAGEGÅRD ~ Aftonsång och Julepsalm

HÅKAN HAGEGÅRD is an excellent baritone singer and this Proprius LP captures every nuance of his splendid voice. He is accompanied here by pianist Anders Öhrwall and the recording is gorgeous. on mostly sacred music.

http://store.acousticsounds.com/images/large/UPRO_7768__58352__05072009014156-209.jpg

Josquin des Prez
08-03-2013, 01:46 PM

That tends to be one of my complaints about digital music, especially classical chamber music. I can listen to the digital stuff on a lower end system (like my office SBT) but when played on my more resolving main system, I often find it sounds too analytical and fatiguing.

AudioNut
08-03-2013, 02:21 PM
Listening to . . . Rossini String Sonatas Nos. 2 & 4
Donizetti String Quartet in D arr.string orchesta

Academy of St. Martin-in-the-Fields

Neville Marriner -Director

An Argo LP - Recorded in 1969

This has long been one of my favorite LP's. I guess I've played it a hundred times over the past 40+ years. Argo did it right in the 60's and 70's and this is one of their better ones.

http://mobile.collectorsfrenzy.com/gallery/330854120661.jpg

Toccata
08-03-2013, 02:32 PM
That tends to be one of my complaints about digital music, especially classical chamber music. I can listen to the digital stuff on a lower end system (like my office SBT) but when played on my more resolving main system, I often find it sounds too analytical and fatiguing.

In this case, I think it's more a function of the room acoustics and mic placement rather than the digital medium since 90% of my other digital sources have plentiful ambience.

AudioNut
08-03-2013, 02:36 PM
http://i529.photobucket.com/albums/dd339/randerson30241/Ring_zpsdf168b91.jpg

http://greatestblogger.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/inquisition.gif

OK, OK Bob, I'll listen to a weekend of The Ring

AudioNut
08-03-2013, 02:59 PM
Listening to another of my "most favorite" Argo LP's - Recorded in 1970

Beautiful music - Chamber group accompanied by well played tracker organ - Doesn't get any better! This is an album that my wife asked me to play many, many times back in the 1970's. She loved it and so do I.

Argo recordings are first rate. Wish I had all of them and to heck with anything else!

Michael Haydn - Duo Concertante for Viola and Organ
Joseph Haydn - Organ Concerto in C Major

Simon Preston - Organ
Stephen Shingles - Viola

Academy of St. Martin-in-the-Fields

Neville Marriner -Director

http://d2heru13qkbk4q.cloudfront.net/media/852375/scaled/Haydn_Argo.JPG

AudioNut
08-03-2013, 03:50 PM
Listening to .. . Vivaldi - Sacred Music - volume 10

Choir of the King's Consort
The Kings Consort

Robert King - Conductor

Gloria - RV 589
Nisi Dominus - RV 803
Ostro Picta - RV 642
Ruggieri Gloria RV ANH. 23

This whole set of CD's is glorious, well played, well recorded by Hyperion in England . Robert King - not to be confused with the A Cappella group - the King's Singers - produces some of the most beautiful choral music known to man. :yes: and has recorded over 90 discs for Hyperion.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/517-z1NaApL.jpg

cma29
08-03-2013, 05:40 PM
I have never cared for Bach played on a piano. He composed for harpsichord and that's how his keyboard music is voiced. I've never felt like it needed a piano treatment and when I hear it played that way, it just doesn't seem right.

Kenneth Gilbert is one of the great masters of baroque harpsichord music. This is a more recent acquisition (via eBay).

J. S. Bach, "les Suites Françaises" [French Suites for Harpsichord]
Kenneth Gilbert, Harpsichord
Harmonia Mundi France HM 438 (2 LP)

<image is of the CD>

http://rymimg.com/lk/f/l/5ee1ac48cfebcb79b9dce0b053bdb593/2324872.jpg

Agree with you, Dean. I definitely prefer to hear Bach's keyboard music played on the harpsichord. Plus I just like the sound of the harpsichord anyway. I find it enthralling.