PDA

View Full Version : Japanese Turntables

1KW
04-18-2009, 02:42 PM
I have a technic SL1200 MK5 with a AT440MLA cartridge at the moment. I realized it is a budget turntable but for the amount of listening time compared to my MCD500 it has been fine up until now. I started doing more serious listening to albums and realize that sitting under my nose has been some great sounding material. I was wondering what were the most impressive differences I should notice upgrading from the SL1200 ? In other words if I used the same cartridge on a $2500 turntable would the differences be profound or do I need a much higher end cartridge to hear the difference ? I am asking on this forum because there are not too many places near me to audition turntables.

David
04-19-2009, 07:12 AM
My answer involves some guessing, but I would think you can get a lot more bang for the buck if you put a few hundred dollars into tweaking the Technics. It is a respected table with many fans, though it doesn't have high end cache. RonC is a fan. There are mods through a company called KAB. This is an informative thread:
http://db.audioasylum.com/cgi/m.mpl?forum=vinyl&n=532022&highlight=SL1200+MK5&r=

Turntables respond dramatically to setup and tweaking. I have a Technics SP10 which some described as having a clinical sound. I learned that it all depends on the set up. It has rock solid speed stability. When I experimented with mats, and platforms it warmed up to my taste beautifully. I cannot see replacing it, though I don't doubt that it could be beat for thousands more.

David
04-19-2009, 07:32 AM
I just noticed Alberto's post in the VPI thread. I think my taste is probably similar as far as warmth. Against standard advice on SP10 set up which says it likes to be rigid, I placed it on a homemade platform resting of raquet balls. (A DIY Cloud 9") The BBC did custom spring suspension platforms, which some audiophiles criticized. This worked nicely to voice it on the warmer side. Also I found that a shelf liner mat over a DIY sorbothane mat slightly increased bass. I posted pictures in the thread below.

1KW
04-19-2009, 07:37 AM
Thanks for the info. I have heard about some of the kab mods. You are lucky to find the SP10, too bad they don't make it anymore. You can put any tone arm you want with that, which arm and cart. are you using ?

1KW
04-19-2009, 08:03 AM
Found this info and link on wikipedia
http://www.mds975.co.uk/Content/vinyl01.html
"The SL-1200 series was developed as a special project by Technics parent company Matsushita in an attempt to solve many of the problems related to the difficult task of turntable design. The task included minimizing acoustic feedback, unwanted resonances, wow & flutter and speed errors.
This was achieved by designing a remarkably heavy plinth made of a non-resonant composite sandwiched between a cast alloy top plate and a solid rubber base. In addition, the adjustable rubber damped feet ensure that the Technics SL-1200 series are well insulated against acoustic feedback, which can be a serious problem when operating a turntable in close proximity to PA loudspeakers (a common situation for DJ's).
The drive system designed by Matsushita is of the direct-drive variety rather than the more commonly found belt-drive type. This design was developed in order to virtually eliminate the problems of wow and flutter and produces a very quiet turntable which, for a direct drive turntable, has minimal motor and bearing noise, (although the bearing rumble does tend to become characteristic in well used turntables). The SL-1200 utilizes a Frequency Generator Servo Control Quartz Lock system that is claimed to produce the most accurate and consistent speed possible. The system is immune to static and dynamic stylus drag which would otherwise cause unwanted speed variances that change the pitch and tempo of the music. Due to these strengths the SL-1200 lends itself to Hi-Fi reproduction"

David
04-19-2009, 09:01 AM
Thanks for the info. I have heard about some of the kab mods. You are lucky to find the SP10, too bad they don't make it anymore. You can put any tone arm you want with that, which arm and cart. are you using ?

I am using a Audio Technica ATP-12T which came with it. I have not tried other arms, but the consensus on the net is that it is a pretty good arm. I use a Grado Reference cartridge. Grado has a very sweet delicate mid-range. It makes female voice sound glorious. Some don't like Grado because they occasionally mis-track. I never found it much of a problem.

1KW
04-23-2009, 09:58 PM
I think I might try the KAB silicone fluid tone arm damper, anyone have this ? It is supposed to help with warped records to prevent vertical mistracking , comments appreciated.

David
04-24-2009, 05:16 PM
Some like ring clamps for warped records. I have never used one. This looks interesting: http://cgi.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/auc.pl?accstwek&1240883523

Supercronopio
05-10-2009, 08:48 PM
David: i have the KABUSA with all the mods. PM mw with any questions.

1KW
04-02-2011, 05:10 PM
The Technic SL1200 MKV and SL1210 turntables are going up in price. They are listed from $1000-$1200 now which is about double what they cost a year ago.

wpines
04-02-2011, 05:37 PM
They are no longer in production!

jdandy
04-02-2011, 11:22 PM
The Technic SL1200 MKV and SL1210 turntables are going up in price. They are listed from $1000-$1200 now which is about double what they cost a year ago.

David.......You buying another one?

Masterlu
04-02-2011, 11:30 PM

So are the Handles... :beatinghorse:

:laughin:

1KW
04-03-2011, 07:30 AM
So are the Handles... :beatinghorse:

:laughin:

:confused-13: I know I waited too long
I guess I will go :golf: so I don't have to look at my amps with the stock rails :D Tee time at 8:30

Allan W.
06-10-2011, 09:14 PM
I performed a simple but pricy upgrade to my Technics 1210MKII. I changed the stock arm with a Jelco 750SA arm. I was super easy and only took a few hours. It changed the entire character of the table for the better.

cmalak
06-10-2011, 11:39 PM
Welcome to AA Allan W. :wave: Tell us more about your system.

Allan W.
06-11-2011, 10:52 AM
Welcome to AA Allan W. :wave: Tell us more about your system.

Thank you for the for the warm welcome. I am still trying to figure out the site and lurking a about. Below is my system:

Digital Disc Player: Esoteric DV-50.
Digital Music Server: Mac Mini & Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 21 DAC.
Technics SL-1210 MKII Turntable w/ Jelco 750SA arm:*
Audio-Techinca AT-150MLX*
Audio-Techinca AT-14sa*
Denon DL-103
Technics 310MC with 1/2” adapter
Shelter 501 MKII
Pre-Amp: Musical Fidelity 310cr full function pre-amp.
Power Amp’s: VTL 450 MKII Mono Blocks
Speakers:
B&W 801 Series 3
Power Conditioner: PS Audio Power Plant Premier
Cables:
MIT 330 Plus S-2 Interconnects.*
MIT MH 750 S-2 Speaker cable.*

Tonepub
06-11-2011, 03:59 PM
Yep, the 1200's respond very well to this. Now get your hands on a Sound HiFi power supply upgrade and you'll be blown away!

I'm waiting for a Zu 1200 and we are going to put a TriPlanar on it just to be completely over the top!

:)

cmalak
06-11-2011, 04:02 PM
Thank you for the for the warm welcome. I am still trying to figure out the site and lurking a about. Below is my system:

Digital Disc Player: Esoteric DV-50.
Digital Music Server: Mac Mini & Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 21 DAC.
Technics SL-1210 MKII Turntable w/ Jelco 750SA arm:*
Audio-Techinca AT-150MLX*
Audio-Techinca AT-14sa*
Denon DL-103
Technics 310MC with 1/2” adapter
Shelter 501 MKII
Pre-Amp: Musical Fidelity 310cr full function pre-amp.
Power Amp’s: VTL 450 MKII Mono Blocks
Speakers:
B&W 801 Series 3
Power Conditioner: PS Audio Power Plant Premier
Cables:
MIT 330 Plus S-2 Interconnects.*
MIT MH 750 S-2 Speaker cable.*

Allan...you have a very nice system. Stick around. Everyone on AA will appreciate your input. We have a friendly bunch of audiophiles here. :thumbsup:

1KW
06-11-2011, 08:26 PM
Very Nice Allan,

I enjoyed my time with the SL1200.