PDA

View Full Version : Record Cleaning Method

1KW
04-18-2009, 07:11 AM
Since we did not have a thread on this, here it is. One of the problems with records is surface noise therefore having a nice clean source is important. I have to admit my old disk washer brush and solution is a bit limiting. Post what you are using to clean your records. I have seen fancy machines, wood glue used, basic dish washing soap and a vinyl brush, people putting records in the dishwasher with a plastic cover over the label. What works best for you ?

EdPowers
04-18-2009, 08:22 AM
My method starts by wetting the record using a small handheld steam cleaner. The one I have is made by Perfection and sells for about $10 in Walgreen stores. The label is protected by covering it with a small ceramic bowl I found in the dollar store. It covers perfectly and makes a good place to hold pressure while scubbing. After the record is wet I apply Record Research Lab's Enzime Plus cleaner (now manufactured for Mobile Fidelity) and let it soak for a minute or two. The idea is that active enzimes eat away at biological material that builds up on the record surface (oils from fingers, etc). Next I scrub with a MFSL brush. The short bristles get deep in the grooves, the pad feels like velvet. Then shoot it with a rich batch of steam, wiping the record clean with a micro fiber cloth, and a final rinse of steam. Flip and repeat.

The micro fiber cloths are cheap (12" x 16" and usually come three in a pack for a few dollars). I use R.O. (reverse osmosis) water from the pet store for less than a dollar a gallon (it's filtered water that is used in fresh water aquariums). The clean records are placed in a wire dish rack to dry. A batch of records takes me almost two hours because of the waiting while the enzime cleaner does its work.

Any cleaning method has drawbacks, but I definately don't feel the need right now for a vacuum cleaning machine.

1KW
04-18-2009, 08:49 AM
My method starts by wetting the record using a small handheld steam cleaner. The one I have is made by Perfection and sells for about $10 in Walgreen stores. The label is protected by covering it with a small ceramic bowl I found in the dollar store. It covers perfectly and makes a good place to hold pressure while scubbing. After the record is wet I apply Record Research Lab's Enzime Plus cleaner (now manufactured for Mobile Fidelity) and let it soak for a minute or two. The idea is that active enzimes eat away at biological material that builds up on the record surface (oils from fingers, etc). Next I scrub with a MFSL brush. The short bristles get deep in the grooves, the pad feels like velvet. Then shoot it with a rich batch of steam, wiping the record clean with a micro fiber cloth, and a final rinse of steam. Flip and repeat.

The micro fiber cloths are cheap (12" x 16" and usually come three in a pack for a few dollars). I use R.O. (reverse osmosis) water from the pet store for less than a dollar a gallon (it's filtered water that is used in fresh water aquariums). The clean records are placed in a wire dish rack to dry. A batch of records takes me almost two hours because of the waiting while the enzime cleaner does its work.

Any cleaning method has drawbacks, but I definately don't feel the need right now for a vacuum cleaning machine.

Thanks, How do you like your VPI scoutmaster ? I wish I knew more about record cleaning; last year I put a few hundred LP's I had saved for 30 years in the trash because of mold. Apparently keeping your LP's in plastic covers seals in moisture.

gregswaim
04-18-2009, 09:43 AM
For record cleaning I only use a carbon fiber brush(AudioQuest). I let the stylus tip do the rest. Most record cleaning products do more harm than good.

f1 fan
04-18-2009, 11:56 AM
For record cleaning I only use a carbon fiber brush(AudioQuest). I let the stylus tip do the rest. Most record cleaning products do more harm than good.

I agree.:yes: However, I do have a VPI 16.5 machine. Its great, does its job especially on used vinyl. But man is that thing loud or what? On all my new vinyl I use my brush, clean the stylus and rock & roll:music::yes:

two dot
04-18-2009, 12:16 PM
I have the VPI 16.5 Record Cleaning machine. I use the supplied stiff brush and comercial cleaning fluid. (forget the brand)

I wash all old records as soon as I bring them home.

I sometimes give brand new vinyl a wash as I have read that it helps to remove residue left behind in the stamping process.

I am very careful with my records and don't really see the need to repeat the cleaning process, once they are clean, I just give them a quick brush off on the table, and a dab of "Style-Last" to the needle.

f1 fan
04-18-2009, 01:27 PM
[QUOTE=two dot;5413]I have the VPI 16.5 Record Cleaning machine. I use the supplied stiff brush and comercial cleaning fluid. (forget the brand)

I wash all old records as soon as I bring them home.

I sometimes give brand new vinyl a wash as I have read that it helps to remove residue left behind in the stamping process.

I am very careful with my records and don't really see the need to repeat the cleaning process, once they are clean, I just give them a quick brush off on the table, and a dab of "Style-Last" to the needle.[/QUOTE

similar to the process I use. I always wash the old vinyl....the new, well, most times the Audioquest or Hunt brush is used with Last stylus cleaner and conditioner or Lyra cleaner. No need to make a big fuss over cleaning just enjoy whats in those grooves:music:

EdPowers
04-20-2009, 07:33 PM
Thanks, How do you like your VPI scoutmaster ? I wish I knew more about record cleaning; last year I put a few hundred LP's I had saved for 30 years in the trash because of mold. Apparently keeping your LP's in plastic covers seals in moisture.

Scoutmaster is a good sounding table and a solid value right out of the box, with lots of options to allow its performance to be tweaked further.

MC352
04-20-2009, 08:15 PM
When you say you wash the used LP's what are you washing them with?

EasyRiderNYC
04-20-2009, 10:50 PM
Used (or funky new):
Dawn, water, trim brush, pat dry.

New:
Audioquest Brush

Then:
Audioquest before play.
Magic Eraser between sides, just the pressure of the arm though.

I wish there was a place to rent a VPI washer (used to be one a local DJ store for just that). Those things are noisy, big and sometime leaky. Rent one for the weekend, clean them all, new sleeves then away it goes until the next batch accrues.

EasyRiderNYC
04-20-2009, 10:55 PM

You can wash off mould. Don't put anything you like in a damp environment.

At least not for long periods of time.

howiebrou
04-25-2009, 11:39 PM
I also use a VPI 16.5 but I wish I had a machined that cleans both sides simultaneously. Cleaning fluid is VPIs or L'Art du Son. :yes:

howie

PHC1
04-25-2009, 11:42 PM
I also use a VPI 16.5 but I wish I had a machined that cleans both sides simultaneously. Cleaning fluid is VPIs or L'Art du Son. :yes:

howie

You know they have those! :D

howiebrou
04-26-2009, 08:23 AM
You know they have those! :D

$$$$$$$:tears::tears::tears:

Basite
04-26-2009, 11:03 AM
Being a student, which means I don't have that much money, record cleaning is done by a Knosti record cleaner...

http://www.tnt-audio.com/jpeg/knosti.jpg

cheap, fairly effective for what it is...
everything is done manual though...

before playing, I use an antistatic brush too...

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

Chathamdad
04-28-2009, 04:24 PM
"Gruv Glide". Sounds like a marital aid but is actually an aerosol product that the guys at AudioClassics recommended. It seems to work very well.

John49
02-27-2013, 04:14 AM
Keith Monks Omni RCM and Keith Monks fluids - works every time, old and new vinyl. And it's quiet...:thumbsup:

Raven
03-05-2013, 05:08 PM
Have never used a Monks table, but I understand they awesome. A year ago I upgraded from a VPI 16.5 to a Loricraft PRC4 and haven't looked back. A good RCM is highly underrated. I just use isoplropyl with water and a couple drops of photoflo.

Tom Smith
03-06-2013, 09:29 PM
For a while I was using the original version the the spin clean, lol. I demoed a monks and a VPI 16.5, went with the VPI. Both do a good job tho

crwilli
04-10-2013, 09:52 PM
"Gruv Glide". Sounds like a marital aid but is actually an aerosol product that the guys at AudioClassics recommended. It seems to work very well.

I think a dilute rubbing alcohol / distilled water cleaning followed by the gruv glide treatment works very well. It is bringing life back to my music.

MyPal
04-10-2013, 11:28 PM

howie

Howie...You could always go & give your former cleaner a 2nd chance. :p

Royzak
04-11-2013, 02:38 AM
I use the Loricraft PCM3 Mk 4 with L'Art du Son fluid. After many years with a Nitty-Gritty it is a pleasure to be able to listen to music while cleaning. Also records I thought clean on the admittedly old machine, the remaining crackles being put down to groove damage,now come up beautifully.
A second scrub and clean in reverse mode works well on very dirty records.

rlw3
04-11-2013, 03:32 PM
Jim Pendelton of AI audio solutions gave me the following tips:
Use the brush the soap manufacturer suggests, there is optimal pairing.
AI solutions benefit from being spread on a record and left to soak for 60-90 seconds before scrubbing(dont scrub too hard also)
When i had a nitty gritty i would put a vpi cork mat on a lazy susan, place the reord on it,spread solution,wait then scrub, vacuum with a machine. do the same on the other side of lp. repeat with second type of soap if using.
Finally using the machine tanks to disperse lots of water, rinse and dry each side.
Manually putting on soaps instead of using machines tank seemed to use a lot less soap which is cheaper
My process takes about 20 minutes per lp which forced me to the audio deske machine.

Markd51
04-13-2013, 12:16 AM
Jim Pendelton of AI audio solutions gave me the following tips:
Use the brush the soap manufacturer suggests, there is optimal pairing.
AI solutions benefit from being spread on a record and left to soak for 60-90 seconds before scrubbing(dont scrub too hard also)
When i had a nitty gritty i would put a vpi cork mat on a lazy susan, place the reord on it,spread solution,wait then scrub, vacuum with a machine. do the same on the other side of lp. repeat with second type of soap if using.
Finally using the machine tanks to disperse lots of water, rinse and dry each side.
Manually putting on soaps instead of using machines tank seemed to use a lot less soap which is cheaper
My process takes about 20 minutes per lp which forced me to the audio deske machine.

As for soak times with any cleaner, and in regards to AIVS cleaning solutions, there can never be a known prescribed time in any given example.

A 20 year old record might clean up lickety split with short soak times, and a brand new MoFi out of the sleeve could take forever and a day to get fully clean.

Any of the AVIS cleaners can be left to sit on a record 15 minutes, and longer, provided those cleaners, or any cleaner for that matter does not dry upon the surface. The AVIS cleaners are safe to the point that long soak times won't prove detrimental to the PVC formulations.

As for one method, and inadequate results, and then a follow up with even perhaps purified water, one may note further improvement. With that said, what is then proven? That the water was a more effective cleaner than the cleaner previously used? Of course not. Get what I'm saying?

Thus when there's no strict controls in effect, user's final results, and conclusions can often be flawed, and not be gospel in which cleaner proved effective, and which didn't.

rlw3
04-17-2013, 01:59 PM
As for soak times with any cleaner, and in regards to AIVS cleaning solutions, there can never be a known prescribed time in any given example.

A 20 year old record might clean up lickety split with short soak times, and a brand new MoFi out of the sleeve could take forever and a day to get fully clean.

Any of the AVIS cleaners can be left to sit on a record 15 minutes, and longer, provided those cleaners, or any cleaner for that matter does not dry upon the surface. The AVIS cleaners are safe to the point that long soak times won't prove detrimental to the PVC formulations.

As for one method, and inadequate results, and then a follow up with even perhaps purified water, one may note further improvement. With that said, what is then proven? That the water was a more effective cleaner than the cleaner previously used? Of course not. Get what I'm saying?

Thus when there's no strict controls in effect, user's final results, and conclusions can often be flawed, and not be gospel in which cleaner proved effective, and which didn't.

I believe that Jim Pendelton has the expertise to recommend the correct amount of soaking time for the record cleaning solutions he makes.

the AI solutions with alcohol would evaporate in 15 minutes.

the water rinse is simply that, a rinse to remove soap solution.