PDA

View Full Version : Rega P25 Record Clamp

f1 fan
04-17-2009, 11:15 AM
I`ve got a Rega P25 with all the mods that can be done to one EXCEPT a record clamp....which one if any do you recommend for this table. I know the motor does not have a lot of torque compared to other `tables and Rega does not recommend their `tables to be modified because of the design.

The KAB clamp seems too light weight.

What about the VPI HRX Center Record Clamp? Would this be too heavy for the motor and bearings?

Suggestions...

gregswaim
04-17-2009, 11:28 AM
I've never used a record clamp with any of my turntables from the past. My Linn dealer has never demo'd a LP12 with one and does not recommend one for use with the LP12.
Other TT's in their shop all have one though. I'm not sure of the benefit of one unless you've got warped LP's. Fortunately, I don't have any warped records and hope to keep it that way. The LP12 does have a high torque motor so I would suppose one could be added.
Why do you feel that you need one for your Rega TT?

f1 fan
04-17-2009, 01:34 PM
Well really no reason for needing one, I just thought a clamp might help with the sound which I`m very satisfied with. I know Rega likes to leave everything as is with their tables. I have about 8,500 lps and some are warped but playable. The Rega`s motor seems to fragile to hold a clamp of any substance and might do more harm than good.

By the way, I love your `table. A friend of mine in Nashville has one and would not part with it for any amount of $$ or other `table. They sound wonderful.

gregswaim
04-17-2009, 08:05 PM
Well really no reason for needing one, I just thought a clamp might help with the sound which I`m very satisfied with. I know Rega likes to leave everything as is with their tables. I have about 8,500 lps and some are warped but playable. The Rega`s motor seems to fragile to hold a clamp of any substance and might do more harm than good.

By the way, I love your `table. A friend of mine in Nashville has one and would not part with it for any amount of $$ or other `table. They sound wonderful.

You've got the "Top Of The Line" Rega tonearm, highly rated too, and that should be sufficient to track even warped records with extreme accuracy. The Linn arms,as the Pro-Ject 9cc tonearm, track extremely well so Linn has never recommended a record clamp for this reason. Record clamps add weight and stress on the motor and to the suspension.

f1 fan
04-18-2009, 11:49 AM
I got in touch with a guy yesterday who knows the Rega line. He advised to leave the `table alone except for the upgrades that I`ve done. Reason is the torgue of the motor and the design of the motor is not strong enough for a heavy clamp say like the VPI. He mentioned the Linn does not recommend clamps and their motor is strong. He said I were to use a clamp it needed to be light weight and even then probably would not make much of a difference. The design of the Rega (and Linn) is that it does not need record clamps. Basically, plug, play and enjoy the music. So thats what i`m going to do.

OneMalt
05-03-2009, 03:05 PM
Mitchell makes a clamp specifically for Rega TTs. Check out my post in the "Let's see your turntable" thread (#66) for a picture. It accommodates the stubby Rega shaft and works exactly as advertized. It simply does what it's supposed to.

f1 fan
05-04-2009, 10:58 AM
Mitchell makes a clamp specifically for Rega TTs. Check out my post in the "Let's see your turntable" thread (#66) for a picture. It accommodates the stubby Rega shaft and works exactly as advertized. It simply does what it's supposed to.

Thanks OneMalt:thumbsup:......I`ll check it out.....a friend loaned a VPI clamp but much too heavy and I`m afraid of damage:no:. The KAB is too light and I`m not impressed with it for my useage.....:scratch2:

OneMalt
05-04-2009, 12:44 PM
Well, the Mitchell is also light but if you press down while tightening it, it flattens the LP like a champ.

f1 fan
05-04-2009, 05:59 PM
Thanks....I`ll check it out....where did you get yours?

OneMalt
05-04-2009, 06:14 PM
The Needle Doctor:

JA Michell Record Clamp 800-229-0644 JA Michell Record Clamp (http://www.needledoctor.com/JA-Michell-Record-Clamp_2?sc=2&category=421)

f1 fan
05-04-2009, 06:22 PM
The Needle Doctor:

JA Michell Record Clamp 800-229-0644 JA Michell Record Clamp (http://www.needledoctor.com/JA-Michell-Record-Clamp_2?sc=2&category=421)

Thanks....could you hear a difference with the clamp vs without??

OneMalt
05-04-2009, 06:35 PM
I only use it where warpage comes into play and yes, there it makes a huge difference for the better.

f1 fan
05-04-2009, 07:08 PM
Thanks OneMalt......thats what I would do and to be honest to have have as many lps as I do very few are warped and would benefit.