PDA

View Full Version : My next turntable, looking for ideas

1KW
01-18-2010, 09:28 AM
I have been using my Technic SL1200 mk V for the last 1 1/2 years and experimented with a few different MM cartridges. I started off this way as a experiment to see it I would like vinyl before investing thousands. I enjoy the hunt for new vinyl when I go to various record stores and yes the nostalgia of finding music from my youth. I do not have room in my rack to add a external phono pre amp so for now the C220 will have to do. I have thought about upgrading the tonearm with a SME 309 or MK V which could always be put on another TT later on. I like the convenienc of the controls on the Technic ie power on and off in the front as I have my tt on a slide out drawer. I like being able to adjust the VTA without taking the TT apart although not having this feature is not a deal killer. What would you recommend as the next step ?

MC352
01-18-2010, 10:07 AM
I like these two -

There are two pictures of each one.

The JA Michell GyroDec SE

http://www.needledoctor.com/core/media/media.nl?id=33&c=ACCT106601&h=54e3a19d62dc4d4d81f8

and this one

The Clearaudio Performance CMB Turntable
http://www.needledoctor.com/core/media/media.nl?id=13658&c=ACCT106601&h=ec272e1de384ba242ff5

1KW
01-18-2010, 10:14 AM
Chuck,

The first 2 are works of art.

MC352
01-18-2010, 10:24 AM
Yeah, I really like that one.

PHC1
01-18-2010, 11:54 AM
David, take a look here to get some ideas and also give Jeff of A/v Solutions a call! The Hanss tables seem to be great value.

www.needledoctor.com

cmalak
01-18-2010, 02:25 PM
I am looking into a VPI Classic for my first vinyl rig. The JMW 10.5i SE tonearm that comes with the table has VTA adjustment but not on the fly. You can order the JMW 10.5i tonearm with VTA on-the-fly adjustment for a $700 upcharge. The table has gotten a lot of good press and the retail channel is back-ordered. VPI does not seem to be able to keep up with the demand right now so it sounds like wait times are in the 1-3 months range. Here are a few pics. The left is with the tonearm that ships as is with the table ($2500) and the right is with the VTA on-the-fly adjustment tonearm ($3200):

http://store.acousticsounds.com/images/large/S_VPI_CLASSIC_B__65651__01082010044356-5665.jpg http://www.avguide.com/sites/next-tech-guide/files/68%20ER%20VPI%201.jpg

Here are some additional pics:

http://www.avguide.com/sites/next-tech-guide/files/68%20ER%20VPI%203.jpg

http://www.avguide.com/sites/next-tech-guide/files/68%20ER%20VPI%204.jpg

http://www.avguide.com/sites/next-tech-guide/files/68%20ER%20VPI%20cover(1).jpg

It also comes in a black plinth. Here are reviews from Hifi+ and The Audio Beat:

http://www.vpiindustries.com/pdf/vpi_classic_reprint.pdf
Golden Ear Club | AVguide (http://www.avguide.com/review/the-vpi-classic-turntable-hifi-plus-68)

Still-One
01-18-2010, 02:34 PM
I am looking into a VPI Classic for my first vinyl rig. The JMW 10.5i SE tonearm that comes with the table has VTA adjustment but not on the fly. You can order the JMW 10.5i tonearm with VTA on-the-fly adjustment for a $700 upcharge. The table has gotten a lot of good press and the retail channel is back-ordered. VPI does not seem to be able to keep up with the demand right now so it sounds like wait times are in the 1-3 months range. Here are a few pics. The left is with the tonearm that ships as is with the table ($2500) and the right is with the VTA on-the-fly adjustment tonearm ($3200):

It also comes in a black plinth. Here are reviews from Hifi+ and The Audio Beat:

http://www.vpiindustries.com/pdf/vpi_classic_reprint.pdf
Golden Ear Club | AVguide (http://www.avguide.com/review/the-vpi-classic-turntable-hifi-plus-68)
They reviewed the unit in Hi Fi + recently and were very high on it. That might be the review you are posting from AVguide.

cmalak
01-18-2010, 02:56 PM
Jim...It is. But the review is still part of the Golden Ear Club (GEC) section of AVGuide.com and has not yet been released into the free part of the site. So if you are not a GEC member you will not be able to access the review for a little while longer. For those folks who receive Hifi+ or who buy it occassionally off the news stands, the review appeared in Issue 168. And I believe Roy Gregory did a follow-up in a subsequent issue, reporting on the use of certain tweaks/accessories with the table (like the ring clamp, HRX center weight, and the Synchronous Drive System (SDS) which is a motor speed controller and a power line isolator). I have not seen the follow up though.

two dot
01-18-2010, 03:30 PM
David,

I was going to recommend this same VPI table. I think that it is a standout!

I have even been thinking about replacing my old trusty LINN with one. Even though the LINN is probably a better table, I like some of newer technology in the VPI.

The new LINN BASIK package. would also be a very good alternative, and infinitely upgradeable...

Good luck in your search... keep us posted.

1KW
01-18-2010, 05:31 PM
Thanks for the recommendations, keep them coming.

Still-One
01-18-2010, 05:34 PM
Jim...It is. But the review is still part of the Golden Ear Club (GEC) section of AVGuide.com and has not yet been released into the free part of the site. So if you are not a GEC member you will not be able to access the review for a little while longer. For those folks who receive Hifi+ or who buy it occassionally off the news stands, the review appeared in Issue 168. And I believe Roy Gregory did a follow-up in a subsequent issue, reporting on the use of certain tweaks/accessories with the table (like the ring clamp, HRX center weight, and the Synchronous Drive System (SDS) which is a motor speed controller and a power line isolator). I have not seen the follow up though.
I saw the article last evening about the accesories. It is in the current NA edition of Hi Fi +.

Jim

j3brow
01-20-2010, 03:25 PM
David,

I also recommend the VPI Classic. Everything I have heard and read about this table has been positive. I think the look is fab but thats a matter of personal taste. I can tell you that the JMW 10.5i arm is VERY good as I have recently upgraded my Scoutmaster with that arm and my TT has never sounded better. Harry Pearson did a mini-review of the Classic thru the phonostage C2300 and seemed very impressed. He also used a $6000 cart on the 10.5 so the arm can handle big boy carts if you ever go that direction.

By the way, I purchased Dave Matthews Band's latest offering on vinyl this week - partly based on your recommendation, from a post sometime last year. I agree with you. Very good mastering on this one by Ray Janos at Sterling. Thanks for the heads up

Jason

1KW
01-20-2010, 03:35 PM
David,

I also recommend the VPI Classic. Everything I have heard and read about this table has been positive. I think the look is fab but thats a matter of personal taste. I can tell you that the JMW 10.5i arm is VERY good as I have recently upgraded my Scoutmaster with that arm and my TT has never sounded better. Harry Pearson did a mini-review of the Classic thru the phonostage C2300 and seemed very impressed. He also used a $6000 cart on the 10.5 so the arm can handle big boy carts if you ever go that direction.

By the way, I purchased Dave Matthews Band's latest offering on vinyl this week - partly based on your recommendation, from a post sometime last year. I agree with you. Very good mastering on this one by Ray Janos at Sterling. Thanks for the heads up

Jason

Thanks for everyone's comments on this thread. I have to say the picture that Chuck posted reminds me of a flying saucer and is very cool looking. The classic is also very nice as well. My next Hi Fi toy will likely be a upgrade to my analog set up. Since Serge helped me set up the JL F112 my Cremona's are sounding just fine to me so for now the bug to upgrade them is held at bay :D

f1 fan
01-21-2010, 03:36 PM
I'm happy with the Rega, tweaked to the max and sounds great but the Classic VPI will be my next 'table for sure. I love the look and all the upgrades.

Dave

1KW
01-21-2010, 07:40 PM
Listening to Mike Oldfield-Tubular Bells , I need a better cartridge . My AT440MLA is not very impressive for this kind of rock. Not enough bass .

two dot
01-21-2010, 08:56 PM
Tubular Bells... is an all time classic test of your TT

1KW
01-21-2010, 09:02 PM
Tubular Bells... is an all time classic test of your TT

I'm listening to the Doors now on vinyl, Riders on the Storm is another good test for your tt. Cleaned my stylus and the problem is fixed. :D

Shakeydeal
02-18-2010, 01:39 PM
I have a Nott Spacedeck/Ace-Space combo that I have loved very much for years. However, the VPI Classic certainly looks like a formidable contender in that price range.

Shakey

jaynemo1962
02-18-2010, 05:21 PM
Been very happy with mine, outfitted with a Soundsmith Aida, medium compliance, run thru an AES PH1-DJH phono stage. however that Fosgate Signature stage is catching my attention.
:thumbsup:

jetblack
02-18-2010, 05:53 PM
David,

My .02 worth, from reading your posts, I would focus on a cartridge update, before looking into a TT upgrade. I'm just a 'transducer' kinda guy, who thinks that money should be spent on transducers (speakers, cartridge) before anything else (more bang for the $). You may be at the stage where you a ready for a TT upgrade. If so, disregard the post. :D

1KW
04-24-2010, 08:34 AM
This turntable looks interesting in a minimalist kind of way. Anyone ever seen or heard one ? Any comments appreciated.http://www.michell-engineering.co.uk/pic/tur/michell_tecnodec.jpg

Jerome W
04-24-2010, 09:29 AM
David,

The Technodec is an entry level Gyrodec. Not suspended. May sound as a Rega P3 I suppose, but should be dryer because Rega uses a wood plinth...
Did not hear the Techno but I know the Gyro. Very good suspended TT. Looks stunning.
But I think a Majik LP12, although looking rather "old style", sound slightly better than the Gyro, for the same price...
The VPI classic looks also very interesting.

1KW
04-24-2010, 10:02 AM
I am also interested in the VPI classic as well.

Art K
04-24-2010, 10:55 AM
If I were spending VPI Classic money I would buy the Roksan Radius 5 w/Nima arm and be done with it. Second choice would be the Clearaudio Performance SE.

cmalak
04-24-2010, 12:23 PM
Art K...have you heard the VPI Classic and compared it to the Clearaudio Performance SE or the Roksan? If so, how would you describe the sonics of the different tables? I know there were probably differences in carts, phono stages and so on that will also contribute to the different sonic signatures of the different tables. It sounds like you are not a fan of the Classic so just wondering what specifically you were not happy with. Thx

1KW
04-24-2010, 01:08 PM
I just spoke to the dealer who sold me my SF Elipsa speakers. He said the people at VPI are very nice but he has had problems with the fit and finish on several of these turntables and ultimately stopped ordering them . He can get them but he recommended the Pro-ject RP-10 and the Pro-Ject Xtension. Here is a picture of the RP-10
http://www.project-audio.com/inhalt/bilder/tn/rpm101.jpg

two dot
04-24-2010, 01:18 PM
David,

Get the Extension... several of us here are dying for a review! :thumbsup:

Still-One
04-24-2010, 01:56 PM
I just spoke to the dealer who sold me my SF Elipsa speakers. He said the people at VPI are very nice but he has had problems with the fit and finish on several of these turntables and ultimately stopped ordering them . He can get them but he recommended the Pro-ject RP-10 and the Pro-Ject Xtension. Here is a picture of the RP-10
http://www.project-audio.com/inhalt/bilder/tn/rpm101.jpg
They have recently upgraded the RPM 10 to the 10.1. Several changes were made at that time.

f1 fan
04-24-2010, 02:03 PM
Nice tt, love the looks and sound;)

Dave

jdandy
04-24-2010, 02:18 PM
David.......Horns are popular right now. :yes:

http://www.gasolinealleyantiques.com/images/Records%20Page/recordplayer-plastic1.JPG

Of course, if horns don't do it for you, this might be an alternative. I'm sure you can't beat the price. :D

http://photos.liveauctioneers.com/houses/richpennauctionslive/12265/0042_1_lg.jpg

Still-One
04-24-2010, 03:01 PM
They have recently upgraded the RPM 10 to the 10.1. Several changes were made at that time.
If you are interested, there is a review in the May issue of Hi Fi News of the Pro-Ject 10.1. They discuss some of the changes in the article.
Jim

Art K
04-26-2010, 08:07 AM
Changed post to include quote.

Art K
04-26-2010, 08:08 AM
Art K...have you heard the VPI Classic and compared it to the Clearaudio Performance SE or the Roksan? If so, how would you describe the sonics of the different tables? I know there were probably differences in carts, phono stages and so on that will also contribute to the different sonic signatures of the different tables. It sounds like you are not a fan of the Classic so just wondering what specifically you were not happy with. Thx

I heard the early VPI Classic and admittedly it has changed a bit as of late. It's a great table but a bit less neutral than the Clearaudio which is even handed if a tad uninvolving. The Roksan does everything well, especially that elusive quality of PRaT. The Radius 5 just flat boogies and it doesn't matter what you're listening to. The VPI has the most slam and low end energy and the Roksan the most sparkle. I heard them all with a Dyn 10x5 but with different other associated gear so my impressions will be a bit colored by that as well. Your associated gear, phono pre amp and cart will have some effect in determining what is right for you.

1KW
04-26-2010, 10:32 AM
If you are interested, there is a review in the May issue of Hi Fi News of the Pro-Ject 10.1. They discuss some of the changes in the article.
Jim

Can you post the article as a pdf file ?

1KW
04-29-2010, 08:46 PM
Today I went to a VPI dealer to see and hear the VPI classic. The visit was bitter sweet. My initial impression was WOW this thing looks much better in person than it does in the picture. The walnut plinth is really nice looking in person. The platter is very impressive, the whole thing weighs in at nearly 100 lbs. with the tone arm, record clamp, platter, plinth etc. . It feels like lifting up one of my Mc501's . Well this was the sweet part. The bitter part is that I was very underwhelmed by what I heard. The cartridge was a high ouput MC dynevectorhttp://www.needledoctor.com/core/media/media.nl?id=17971&c=ACCT106601&h=735736e07eda6c53e5c6&resizeid=-2&resizeh=74&resizew=74 The sound was too bright and shrill sounding. I brought 4 albums that I am used to listening to and I could not sit through a whole song. I then listened to the same albums on a different turntable with a ortofon bronze cartridge and the sound was so much smoother, not harsh on the ears at all. It was almost as if I was in a different room but the speakers, phono pre amp, amp, cables were all the same. I went there ready to leave with a new turntable today but instead left disappointed. The bottom line is my Technics SL1200 sounds better to me then either of the tables I heard today.

cmalak
04-29-2010, 09:08 PM
That's disappointing to hear Dave. I am waiting to audition the VPI Classic. However, if there is another VPI dealer you can set up an audition with of the Classic, I would do it, because "bright" and "shrill" sounds like there might have been a problem with the setup, specifically with the cartridge loading. From the reviews and the user feedback on Agon, bright/shrill have not been used to describe the VPI Classic, so I suspect there may have been a set-up issue. Do you know what phono preamp was used and at what loading the Dyna 10X5 was set up with? Thx

jdandy
04-29-2010, 09:27 PM
David.......I don't really understand why a dealer would take the VPI Classic, and install the very bottom end moving coil phono cartridge in the Dynavector line. Now, because of a single audition with a low end cartridge you are ready to write off the VPI Classic turntable as no good. That just doesn't make good sense. Second, the Ortofon Bronze has gotten only fair reviews for its performance, but the Ortofon 2M Black has wowed every reviewer, including several who said it out classed the Clearaudio Meastro. So, if you have written off the VPI Classic, and plan to stay with the SL1200, at the very least install a new Ortofon 2M Black. You will thank me for this advice.

Personally, I would return to the dealer, ask him to set the VPI Classic up with the Ortofon 2M Black. Tell him that if you are impressed enough you will take the rig. He will gladly set it up for your audition. Keep in mind, too, you are not listening to your premium system, so things will be different than at home, no matter what.

1KW
04-29-2010, 09:47 PM
This dealer did not even want to set up the VPI as a demo, he wanted me to buy one sight unseen. I waited a week for him to set this up. I agree with you about the Ortofon black. I am not saying that I am going to stay with the SL1200 , just that I have eliminated the VPI from the running. I also thought the tone arm felt very flimsy as it is just sitting on a point. The antiskate looks like a after thought, a piece of string. Anyway I will keep looking.

Still-One
04-29-2010, 09:52 PM
Can you post the article as a pdf file ?
I do not have a way to scan it. Sorry.

jdandy
04-29-2010, 10:06 PM
This dealer did not even want to set up the VPI as a demo, he wanted me to buy one sight unseen. I waited a week for him to set this up. I agree with you about the Ortofon black. I am not saying that I am going to stay with the SL1200 , just that I have eliminated the VPI from the running. I also thought the tone arm felt very flimsy as it is just sitting on a point. The antiskate looks like a after thought, a piece of string. Anyway I will keep looking.

David.......A little more money, but a lot more turntable.

P R O - J E C T (http://www.sumikoaudio.net/project/products/rm10_1.htm)

Art K
04-30-2010, 01:27 AM
David.......I don't really understand why a dealer would take the VPI Classic, and install the very bottom end moving coil phono cartridge in the Dynavector line. Now, because of a single audition with a low end cartridge you are ready to write off the VPI Classic turntable as no good. That just doesn't make good sense. Second, the Ortofon Bronze has gotten only fair reviews for its performance, but the Ortofon 2M Black has wowed every reviewer, including several who said it out classed the Clearaudio Meastro. So, if you have written off the VPI Classic, and plan to stay with the SL1200, at the very least install a new Ortofon 2M Black. You will thank me for this advice.

Personally, I would return to the dealer, ask him to set the VPI Classic up with the Ortofon 2M Black. Tell him that if you are impressed enough you will take the rig. He will gladly set it up for your audition. Keep in mind, too, you are not listening to your premium system, so things will be different than at home, no matter what.

My dealer sells both Ortofon and Dynavector and we both agree that the 10x5 sounds considerably better than the 2M Black. The audition had to have been skewed by poor setup. I doubt I would have demoed a VPI Classic with the 10x5 were I the dealer but properly set up it should not have been offensive. I can listen to my friends Artemis Labs table with a vdH Colibri through his Art Audio Reference phono pre and not be embarassed by my setup when he listens to it because it's well set up...

two dot
04-30-2010, 02:04 AM
Shouldn't we ask what gear was being used???

That could play a large part, also...

f1 fan
04-30-2010, 08:39 PM
I agree:yes:

Dave

jdandy
04-30-2010, 09:32 PM
My dealer sells both Ortofon and Dynavector and we both agree that the 10x5 sounds considerably better than the 2M Black. The audition had to have been skewed by poor setup. I doubt I would have demoed a VPI Classic with the 10x5 were I the dealer but properly set up it should not have been offensive. I can listen to my friends Artemis Labs table with a vdH Colibri through his Art Audio Reference phono pre and not be embarassed by my setup when he listens to it because it's well set up...

Art K.......I auditioned the Dynavector 10X5 on a Clearaudio Performance turntable with the Satisfy carbon tonearm. To me the 10X5 had a thin bottom end performance, and a slightly exaggerated top end. The mid range, especially on female voices was very good, but overall I was not impressed enough to make a purchase of the cartridge or the turntable.

Varied opinions are one of the things that keep our great hobby so interesting. Fortunately, the only one that any of us have to impress is ourselves.

1KW
04-30-2010, 11:42 PM
My genre of choice is rock music and then some acoustic guitar and jazz. I brought with me 4 rock albums which sound pretty good on my stereo. The bass was not bad but the high's were shrill and piercing to the point that I had to turn the volume down . I find picking a cartridge to be similar to picking a cable .

KMC45
05-01-2010, 12:25 AM
There's a SME Model 10 on Audiogon right now for $3,750. That's a hell of a table for that price.

1KW
05-01-2010, 06:42 AM
There's a SME Model 10 on Audiogon right now for $3,750. That's a hell of a table for that price.

Do you live near the seller ? I would like to have someone look at it to see what kind of shape its in . I agree that does sound like a good deal.

KMC45
05-01-2010, 02:11 PM
Nope.

PHC1
05-01-2010, 04:25 PM
Art K.......I auditioned the Dynavector 10X5 on a Clearaudio Performance turntable with the Satisfy carbon tonearm. To me the 10X5 had a thin bottom end performance, and a slightly exaggerated top end. The mid range, especially on female voices was very good, but overall I was not impressed enough to make a purchase of the cartridge or the turntable.

Varied opinions are one of the things that keep our great hobby so interesting. Fortunately, the only one that any of us have to impress is ourselves.

Dan, as many of us know, drawing any conclusions from an audition with an unfamiliar system, unknown setup parameters of the tonearm/cartridge and even the table itself is guessing game at best. Knowing how much the sound can change just by altering a few parameters such as VTF, VTA, cartridge loading and a few other tweakable items, there is no definitive way to judge if what you heard is a true representation of what that particular table/arm/cartridge is capable of.

I played around extensively with the Clearaudio Performance/Satisfy tonearm and a few different cartridges as well as all imaginable parameters for each. I can tell you without hesitation that that particular table is capable of very impressive bass once optimized. :yes:

I am more convinced having listened to various different setups before and after careful setup at various locations as well as playing around with both of the tables I own/have owned that choosing a table to own should not be quite as difficult as many imagine it to be.

For those forever unsure of what table to start out with, I would suggest picking a table that appeals to the eye, meets the budget and has solid engineering behind the design. Also going with a tonearm that is a proven synergistic match for that table and then mating a cartridge that fits in with the tonearm in terms of compliance and gets you in the ballpark of where you want to be with the sound, is already the right path down the road of victory. :yes: Even if one errs a bit and picks a cartridge that is a bit too aggressive or a bit too mushy sounding, you have a whole bunch of tweaking to do after that to get you back into the ballpark. Between the choices of coupling mats/center weights/VTA,VTF, cartridge loading and not to even mention the effect of a platform that the table sits on, believe me, the sound will change quite a bit... Oh, there will still be differences between say a budget table and one that costs 5x as much but that other more expensive table can really wait as the budget table will bring many, many hours of extreme enjoyment from vinyl play back once optimized.

jdandy
05-01-2010, 04:40 PM
Dan, as many of us know, drawing any conclusions from an audition with an unfamiliar system, unknown setup parameters of the tonearm/cartridge and even the table itself is guessing game at best. Knowing how much the sound can change just by altering a few parameters such as VTF, VTA, cartridge loading and a few other tweakable items, there is no definitive way to judge if what you heard is a true representation of what that particular table/arm/cartridge is capable of.

I played around extensively with the Clearaudio Performance/Satisfy tonearm and a few different cartridges as well as all imaginable parameters for each. I can tell you without hesitation that that particular table is capable of very impressive bass once optimized. :yes:

I am more convinced having listened to various different setups before and after careful setup at various locations as well as playing around with both of the tables I own/have owned that choosing a table to own should not be quite as difficult as many imagine it to be.

For those forever unsure of what table to start out with, I would suggest picking a table that appeals to the eye, meets the budget and has solid engineering behind the design. Also going with a tonearm that is a proven synergistic match for that table and then mating a cartridge that fits in with the tonearm in terms of compliance and gets you in the ballpark of where you want to be with the sound, is already the right path down the road of victory. :yes: Even if one errs a bit and picks a cartridge that is a bit too aggressive or a bit too mushy sounding, you have a whole bunch of tweaking to do after that to get you back into the ballpark. Between the choices of coupling mats/center weights/VTA,VTF, cartridge loading and not to even mention the effect of a platform that the table sits on, believe me, the sound will change quite a bit... Oh, there will still be differences between say a budget table and one that costs 5x as much but that other more expensive table can really wait as the budget table will bring many, many hours of extreme enjoyment from vinyl play back once optimized.

Serge.......I agree with you completely, and fully understand the impact proper cartridge set has on vinyl playback perimeters. This is one important reason why I have kept my Micro Seiki turntable as long as I have. The MA-505 tone arm allows me to make adjustments in every critical area for premium cartridge performance. I was not discounting the Clearaudio Performance turntable, simply offering an opinion on my experience hearing the Dynavector 10X5 phono cartridge. I have no doubt the cartridge was not as meticulously set up as you would do. With respect to the Clearaudio Performance turntable, were I looking to purchase a new truntable I would be looking at a higher level playback system than that model of turntable and tonearm. No slight intended.

PHC1
05-01-2010, 04:49 PM
Serge.......I agree with you completely, and fully understand the impact proper cartridge set has on vinyl playback perimeters. This is one important reason why I have kept my Micro Seiki turntable as long as I have. The MA-505 tone arm allows me to make adjustments in every critical area for premium cartridge performance. I was not discounting the Clearaudio Performance turntable, simply offering an opinion on my experience hearing the Dynavector 10X5 phono cartridge. I have no doubt the cartridge was not as meticulously set up as you would do. With respect to the Clearaudio Performance turntable, were I looking to purchase a new truntable I would be looking at a higher level playback system than that model of turntable and tonearm. No slight intended.

No slight taken. :D I am not trying to defend the Clearaudio table, it can stand its own ground and needs no appoligies for its bang for buck performance. :yes: There are plenty of other well designed, built and great sounding tables out there as well, both on our turf and from overseas.

I was merely pointing out a simple fact that when it comes to analog, you have lots of leeway to either make it or break it as compared to CD playback where you eject the drawer, plop a CD in and hit "play". :D

Your Micro Seiki and MA-505 tonearm may very well match and exceed some of the newer tables/arm combinations given the tweaky nature of analog where time and progress may or may not actually make things sound much better like it does for digital playback... :yes:

I also think that many simply sweat too much trying to figure out which table out of the at least a few dozen out there to start with. There are really no "stinkers" out there these days as far as I can tell. As long as you don't expect miracles from a $300 table and better yet, spending a few grand on a table will get you into that vinyl nirvana for sure. :yes:

two dot
05-01-2010, 04:55 PM
Serge,

Excellent point!!!

Most of the tables that we discuss here can be made to sound GREAT with the proper cartridge and proper set up.

Dan and I both know how great a 30 y/o table can sound...

That being said, I also know that a tt like yours is in a different league all together.

PHC1
05-01-2010, 05:25 PM
Serge,

Excellent point!!!

Most of the tables that we discuss here can be made to sound GREAT with the proper cartridge and proper set up.

Dan and I both know how great a 30 y/o table can sound...

That being said, I also know that a tt like yours is in a different league all together.

Stephen, the SME is a fantastic table like many others out there in the rather "serious" price range but the Clearaudio Performance is still rather fresh in my mind and the countless hours I've spent listening to it with great satisfaction when I first started my journey into high end vinyl playback. (I've had a turntable many, many years ago) It surprised me from day one and I was truly impressed by it by the time I tweaked it out. :music: I also don't doubt for a second that some other vintage and classic tables out there can sound just as good and even better though. Such is the tweaky nature of analog and given my own tweaky nature, I am sure the SME is not my last table either... :D

1KW
05-04-2010, 06:32 PM
I am listening to vinyl on my inexpensive technic SL1200 and the sound is so addicting I have to compare the experience to eating potato chips. I guess you could say it tastes like more and this is with my C220 and technics/AT440 mla.

jdandy
05-04-2010, 07:57 PM
I am listening to vinyl on my inexpensive technic SL1200 and the sound is so addicting I have to compare the experience to eating potato chips. I guess you could say it tastes like more and this is with my C220 and technics/AT440 mla.

David.......Are you trying to bait me? :lmao:

MC352
05-04-2010, 08:10 PM
Set the hook David!

jdandy
05-04-2010, 08:12 PM
David with his horse Turntable.
http://broadwayworld.com/upload/29909/-1.jpg

MC352
05-04-2010, 08:23 PM
:laughin:

jdandy
05-04-2010, 08:33 PM
Chuck.......That's all I've got to say. :roflmao:

1KW
05-04-2010, 11:19 PM
Dan do I make fun of your powered bose like speakers in your home theater ? Now that's what I call a real audiophile speaker :D

jdandy
05-05-2010, 12:03 AM
David.......It's ok to be upset. I realize you were attached to Turntable. Just get him buried and move on, partner.

http://www.google.com/url?source=imgres&ct=tbn&q=http://www.annyas.com/screenshots/images/1957/gunfight-at-the-ok-corral-end.jpg&ei=vO3gS9pCgrzyBvnDwJsM&sa=X&oi=image_landing_page_redirect&ct=legacy&usg=AFQjCNG5AnKmUw9C0GEQi71ij3iOJOY-Pg

PHC1
05-05-2010, 12:09 AM
David.......It's ok to be upset. I realize you were attached to Turntable. Just get him buried and move on, partner.

http://www.google.com/url?source=imgres&ct=tbn&q=http://www.annyas.com/screenshots/images/1957/gunfight-at-the-ok-corral-end.jpg&ei=vO3gS9pCgrzyBvnDwJsM&sa=X&oi=image_landing_page_redirect&ct=legacy&usg=AFQjCNG5AnKmUw9C0GEQi71ij3iOJOY-Pg

Mass grave for turntable and Panamax? :scratch2:

jdandy
05-05-2010, 12:11 AM
Yep. Right next to the OK Corral.

jdandy
05-05-2010, 12:28 AM
Dan do I make fun of your powered bose like speakers in your home theater ? Now that's what I call a real audiophile speaker :D

David.......A word about my JBL bi-amplified LSR Pro monitors. They are the very same speakers many of the CD's and albums you enjoy listening to were mastered on. They are serious home theater performers. If you haven't heard them, you should. Audiophile speaker? I don't even know what that means.

I realize this is your turntable thread, so I relinquish the podium.

1KW
05-05-2010, 07:20 AM
David.......A word about my JBL bi-amplified LSR Pro monitors. They are the very same speakers many of the CD's and albums you enjoy listening to were mastered on. They are serious home theater performers. If you haven't heard them, you should. Audiophile speaker? I don't even know what that means.

I realize this is your turntable thread, so I relinquish the podium.

Well on that note the technic SL1200 is the same direct drive mechanism used in the turntable the master LP's are created on a Technics SP-02 lathe turntable! . http://www.manleylabs.com/containerpages/350lathe.html

PHC1
05-05-2010, 08:40 AM
Well on that note the technic SL1200 is the same direct drive mechanism used in the turntable the master LP's are created on a Technics SP-02 lathe turntable! . Manley_350Watt_Cutting_Amps (http://www.manleylabs.com/containerpages/350lathe.html)

David, it says the SP-02 is a highly desirable motor and is valued at $15k by itself. If it's the same one as in your turntable, rip it out and sell it. :D

1KW
05-05-2010, 09:45 AM
David, it says the SP-02 is a highly desirable motor and is valued at $15k by itself. If it's the same one as in your turntable, rip it out and sell it. :D

The SP-02 is the same motor used in the SP-10 turntable which is why these tables are sought after and is stronger than the one in the SL1200 which is why it is used to cut the master. That being said the quartz drive (corrects for stylus drag) technology is the same used in the SL1200 motor. Kind of like comparing PDK in the 911 to the racing car version.