PDA

View Full Version : Kids and Magneplanars

weird
01-01-2010, 04:27 PM
Hello folks

I was wandering how resilient Magneplanars are around children?. I am considering the new Magneplanar 1.7 but am a little leary on the kid front with these. They are well trained around audio gear but it seems the panel just begs for misuse or accidents.

Any feedback on this would be appreciated.

skljesus
10-23-2015, 09:55 PM
Yes
I had a problem years back when monday son was 4 years old.

He knocked a speaker over.
I got a repair kit. Fixed invest but invest never sounded the same.
Best of luck

Masterlu
10-24-2015, 12:28 AM
skljesus... Welcome to AA! :wave:

harri009
10-24-2015, 01:21 AM
Hello folks I was wandering how resilient Magneplanars are around children?. I am considering the new Magneplanar 1.7 but am a little leary on the kid front with these. They are well trained around audio gear but it seems the panel just begs for misuse or accidents. Any feedback on this would be appreciated. I called Windell when we first had children and told him I was worried about the speakers. He replied with "Why, the panels are pretty tough. I wouldn't worry about it." Other than a sharp object being thrusted into then panel I don't think you have anything to worry about.

robfine
10-24-2015, 12:00 PM
Hello folks I was wandering how resilient Magneplanars are around children?. I am considering the new Magneplanar 1.7 but am a little leary on the kid front with these. They are well trained around audio gear but it seems the panel just begs for misuse or accidents. Any feedback on this would be appreciated.

Go with black panels or a "No Crayon" rule in the music room!

Robert_Anderson
10-24-2015, 12:42 PM
You could always put the kids up for adoption.............

clin36
10-24-2015, 01:45 PM
my Maggie IIIa survived through my son's toddler years. He is now 9-years old now. When he was toddler, he seems to enjoy crawling behind my speaker and just sit there and play with his toys. I never try to forbid him to go there (not that my words would mean much to him anyway at that age :-), but I always try to make sure he was not carrying anything that could be used to poke into the speaker (well, he still had his fingers which I couldn't do anything about LOL ...)

Having said that, the trend these days with high-end speakers appears to be exposing all the drivers and not cover with any grills. So in that respect, it seems that the danger of speaker damage by young kids is about the same for those speakers.

ehoove
10-24-2015, 02:04 PM
I have Frames and built in Stands on my MGIIIa's. I put a Concrete Paver on the back of the Stand to avoid them tipping forward if pulled on. With the membranes in the back of the MGIIIa's, I pretty confident they will be fine.
Regards,
Jim

nicoff
10-24-2015, 02:52 PM
Hello folks I was wandering how resilient Magneplanars are around children?. I am considering the new Magneplanar 1.7 but am a little leary on the kid front with these. They are well trained around audio gear but it seems the panel just begs for misuse or accidents. Any feedback on this would be appreciated.

When my kids were little, they used my Maggie's as goal post to play soccer. Just make sure they don't use a real soccer ball and you will be fine. :)
Your biggest problem could be cats (if you have any). Some can have a tendency to use the speakers to stretch and test their claws.

david45
09-06-2016, 01:20 AM
You could always put the kids up for adoption.............

Another option would be to keep the speakers relatively close to the front wall and move them out into the room for critical listening :scratch2:

PMCH
09-06-2016, 12:48 PM
I had Maggies 37 years ago, when my daughter was just a toddler. For some reason, she never went very close to them and they were about 3' out from the rear wall. My son was born much later after the Maggies were replaced. I never would have trusted him anywhere near them.

cma29
09-06-2016, 02:04 PM
Mine are in the basement away from the usual family gathering places. I installed the Mye Stands and use very heavy counterweights so there is very little change of the 20.7s tipping over even if pushed hard.

In my view, this depends on where you want to install the panels. Main family room might not work well, but a dedicated listening space should be ok.

GaryProtein
09-06-2016, 02:35 PM
To keep little kids away from your gear, all you need is this:

https://www.amazon.com/EtekStorm-Training-Rechargeable-Rainproof-Vibration/dp/B01ET1DUVQ/ref=sr_1_2?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1473186843&sr=1-2-spons&keywords=electric+dog+collar&psc=1

or as it was known in the Star Trek episode, the "Collar of Obedience"

mgard
09-08-2016, 11:05 AM
I have two cats that I inherited when my daughter got married. I made covers out of heavy thick clear plastic. So far no issues. Plus now I don't let they in my music room.

~Mike

mraudio
09-15-2016, 01:03 AM
I was a Magnepan dealer for many years. I could write a book. "Kids and Cats and Magnepans". Never a good idea.