PDA

View Full Version : New t-table/cartridge under $2K recommendations needed

Mike82ARP
01-12-2015, 08:11 PM
Well, the Christmas holidays were interesting. In our rental condo, the tenant above us had his water heater blow out it’s intake pipe. He was out of town and our tenants were away for an hour. They came home to a flood in the place. Bottom line, $46K in damage for us, $116K for him. Insurance will cover most, but we’ll still be out some $$$, so my hi-fi rebuild funds have been “adjusted” .

I’m in need of some recs for a t-t and cartridge under $2K. Not really interested in used as I’ve been screwed before.

What’s good out there for the $$$. I have a Luxman L-505uX integrated which has a mm/mc phono pre.

Thanks.

W9TR
01-17-2015, 09:48 AM
Mike, Here's my recommendation. Get a Dynavector 17D3 cartridge and Rega RP-3. Some people may find it odd to buy a combo where the cartridge costs more than the table, but not me. This is a great combo. The cartridge is special, the arm is excellent, and the table works well and can be upgraded as you go. I am running 17D3 on a Rega Planar 3 and it works really well. The RP-3 replaced the Planar 3 and is better all around. Check with MasterLu, he may be able to set you up with this or something similar. Tom

Antonmb
01-17-2015, 12:14 PM
2nd the RP3. Other options:
Rega RP6 with Exact cartridge bundle. An excellent table with a good cart you can upgrade later.
VPI Traveler or Clearaudio Concept. Both are excellent tables at around $1500, you can add a $500 cartridges like an Ortofon Bronze to start.

Toobs
01-17-2015, 02:27 PM
Clearaudio concept with arm, mc cartridge = $2000.00:thumbsup:

W9TR
01-18-2015, 01:26 PM
I'd 2nd the Clearaudio recommendation. I have a friend who got one last year and loves it.

4Play
02-02-2015, 09:28 PM
FWIW I am going with the ClearAudio Concept. I honestly believe ClearAudio is far superior over Rega. Some of my friends use VPI and have good success with them.

It all boils down to preference, what you like. Which ever you decide to go with will have to please you and only you.

Garth
02-02-2015, 10:11 PM
I very much liked the Ortofon spu royal N very nice bass

Formerly YB-2
02-03-2015, 07:10 AM
Bummer on the condo. A tenant in ours pumped his 100gal aquarium dry while he was away (in violation of the lease), so all it cost us was the hassle of getting everything repaired.

Suggest you decide on a couple of systems that you might want and call around to the various vendors and see what you can negotiate. I've had good results in doing so with a significant discount from listed prices at places like the Needle Doctor, etc.

And, give Ivan an opportunity. He may be able to 'hook you up' with something nice that meets your budget.

W9TR
02-07-2015, 09:05 AM
Excellent choice on the clearaudio. If you can stretch to get the Dynavector Karat 17d3 you will have an awesome setup that punches way over its weight.