PDA

View Full Version : Oracle Delphi Refurbish

NZ421291
01-10-2015, 04:43 AM
The only piece of HiFi that I have owned for over 24 years- my Oracle Delphi Turntable MKII- purchased second hand in 1990, complete with a Dynavector DV507 Tonearm.

The table barely missed a beat, save for the power supply ceasing to work in 1995. Chris Maquet, the local electronics wiz soon built me a custom replacement & commented on how poorly made the original supply was!

The Papts motor finally died in September 2014- a common issue- but, being about 30 years old, its allowed to.

Contacted Oracle about replacement motor & a new plinth as the existing one has numerous swirls on it & a few scratches. After a staff member had to do CPR on me after being told the cost, add another 40% to the Canadian cost for exchange rate & Customs Duty & GST- I was looking at around $5000! I would be almost better off buying new Oracle- but my budget doesn't stretch that far (about $10,000 NZD plus costs).

I Googled it & found an Australian Company that cut new plinths, however, he had replaced many Oracle Plinths in Australia & thought that they we all done & didn't make them anymore. Typical Aussie forgetting about Kiwis!

I thought that I could get some local companies to built the new plinths etc that I needed- so:

1. Ordered the Oracle Upgrade Kit- springs, MKV acrylic platter mat etc & installed on rebuilding the table.

2. Stripped down the Oracle- & after searching the web, found a laser cutting company only 15 minutes down the motorway who looked professional. Laser Cutting, Water Cutting, Plate Cutting, Laser Etching (http://www.onestopcuttingshop.co.nz/)

Great guys- would use the original plinth as the template to CNC Laser cut my new clear 15mm acrylic base as per the MKV & VI Oracles. Took a week & cost $185NZD - about $150USD- how Oracle can charge $1,500CAD is beyond me.

3. Plinth ends need polishing as did the Oracles suspension towers (made of white metal that oxidizes)

Found a local metal polishing company- again- great guys who did a fabulous job The Metal Polishers Home Page (http://www.themetalpolishers.com/)
Cost- $300NZD.

4. Rubber Platter surround perishing, so replaced with generic surrounds from a seller on Ebay- fitted perfectly.

5. New motor purchased via my mate Paul at Turned-on Audio Home - Turned On Audio (http://turned-onaudio.co.nz/) being an Origin Live Motor & Speed/switching box.

So, about 1 month later- everything required had been received- tested the Origin Motor- which whines like an unpaid lady of the night- sent back to England & replaced at no cost- but took another 3 weeks!! Oracle Turntable motor and power supply upgrade for massive performance increase (http://www.originlive.com/oracle-delphini-motor-power-supply-replacement.html)

Finally, replacement motor arrived- Table assembled with my wife's help- Thanks Tris. What a nightmare hooking up the belt over the motor assembly- which looks like a 'jury rig' at best- my fat clumsy fingers were a liability, so Tris's Nursing hands did the trick.

Replaced Oracle Feet with Symposium ROLLERBLOCK® JR.s that provided better isolation from vibrations within my rack.

Done- and the table sounds fantastic! Even the jury rig assembly that is the Origin Live motor looks the part- sort of.

Here's some photos of the completed table- done at the fraction of the cost of going via Oracle The Company!!!

BTW Dynavector Tonearm destroyed by couriers when being sent to Christchurch for repair of broken arm lift- so I purchased a Jelco Arm- sound better then the 507 - again at the fraction of the cost of a new 507.

Cartridge is a 5 year old Lyra Argo i MC & sounds dynamic & detailed via the C2300 MC Phono Stage with Mullard Tubes!

FlashG1
01-10-2015, 04:54 AM
Great story of your success. Very creative sourcing of services. Nice to hear about Kiwi audiophiles. I live in San Diego, California and have made several trips to NZ for business and the world's best fly fishing.

NZ421291
01-10-2015, 04:57 AM
Great story of your success. Very creative sourcing of services. Nice to hear about Kiwi audiophiles. I live in San Diego, California and have made several trips to NZ for business and the world's best fly fishing.

Many thanks FlashG1- give me a call if you are in Auckland & well have a listening session.

Cheers

Nick

livestrong
01-10-2015, 10:03 AM
Beautiful. Just beautiful :)

Masterlu
01-10-2015, 10:06 AM
That's a very attractive TT :yes:

http://www.audioaficionado.org/attachments/turntables-tonearms/37899d1420878935-oracle-delphi-refurbish-oracle.jpg

Vintage Pete
01-10-2015, 12:21 PM
That's really beautiful Nick.....it's causing me to have yet another relapse of a not-so-rare (among audiophiles) affliction known as Oracle fever!

I've always craved one of these turntables. Maybe someday.....! :sigh:

miketuason
01-23-2015, 07:29 PM
Hi Nick, lve your TT, I noticed we ave the same cartridge the Lyra Argo. I just had my cntilever and stylus replaced. How do you like your Argo?

NZ421291
01-30-2015, 04:25 AM
Hi miketuason,

Love my Argo i (is yours the i or original version?)

The Argo i replaced a Koetsu Black Signature cartridge which gave Stirling service for 15 years- it is however 'lush' & 'romantic' which I like, however with system changes over the years with components being also on the warm side, the lush & romantic thing got to be too much.

The Dealer I visited who stocks Lyra Cartridges was reluctant to even let me have an audition fearing that I would find the Argoi 'etched' after the Koetsu.

He strongly recommended the Dynavector 17DII, whoever, I was keen to listen to the Argoi, so he installed it on my tonearm- he then sat in the hot seat for about an hour just loving the music! He said it was the best sound he had ever heard from the Argoi & he had sold about 50 of them!

I found that the cartridge needed about 150 hrs to fully break in- being that that the soundstage widened considerably during break-in- the base sound of the cartridge did not change. Best of all, I found the Argo i does a good job of suppressing pops & ticks.

This cartridge is so good, that when its worn out, I to, will have it re-tiped, although I am tempted by the Ortofon Cadenza Bronze - so Ill probably end up with 2 cartridges :D

Formerly YB-2
01-31-2015, 06:22 PM
Very nice (have the Oracle Alexandra). Have found the folks at Oracle great to deal with. Always helpful. Have a Kontrapunkt-b (predecessor of the Cadenza line) that am very fond of. Can't imagine that would not be happy with a Cadenza. Just got my Lyra back from a retip and looking forward to getting it into the system.

Ned Racine
08-05-2015, 04:45 PM
Your Oracle is a beauty. I had one, sold it and have regretted since then.

ck2301
08-22-2015, 11:29 PM
Hi Nick,

You have done a very nice job to refurbish the Oracle TT, I am wondering if you still have the information of the supplier of the Rubber Platter surround that you purchase from Ebay?? As I would like to get one too.

Regards
Cameo

NZ421291
09-04-2015, 12:02 AM
Hi Cameo,

Purchased the platter surround from ebay.co.uk under SRM/TECH PLATTER DAMPING RING.

ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=SRM%2FTECH+PLATTER+DAMPING+RING&_sacat=0

Price is 14.95 English Pounds plus shipping.

ck2301
09-06-2015, 11:54 PM
Hi Nick,

Thanks for your information, I will check with the vendor for the platter ring, enjoy your music, thank you very much.

Best Regards
Cameo

Tjeerd
02-29-2016, 04:47 AM
Hi,
I am in the process of purchasing an Oracle Delphi Mk2.
I live in Nelson New Zealand and really keen to get in contact with NZ421291.

NZ421291
03-31-2016, 07:27 PM
Hi,
I am in the process of purchasing an Oracle Delphi Mk2.
I live in Nelson New Zealand and really keen to get in contact with NZ421291.

PM me & Ill be happy to help.:yes:

scirica
03-31-2016, 08:22 PM
Anyone aware of someone that does Oracle Delphi upgrades in the US, preferably near Texas. My MkII works great, but I'd like a better motor and some of the upgrades that are available without shipping everything to Canada.