PDA

View Full Version : Oppo linear power supply

antipop
12-20-2014, 06:28 PM
I've just ordered a linear power supply for my Oppo. I'm slowly trying to get rid of all the pollution in the system from switching supply.

I've heard a lot of positive from improving the PSU of the Oppo. I'll post some feedback here when I receive it.

I've ordered mine from oppomod.com

TommyC
12-20-2014, 06:51 PM
I heard a lot of good things from this PSU. EVS uses this PSU in their mods too.

jdandy
12-20-2014, 07:51 PM
I've just ordered a linear power supply for my Oppo. I'm slowly trying to get rid of all the pollution in the system from switching supply.

I've heard a lot of positive from improving the PSU of the Oppo. I'll post some feedback here when I receive it.

Georges.......Good looking power supply. I will be waiting to read your impressions about the ease of installation and the impact on improvements to the audio and video.

http://www.oppomod.com/images/lpm-large.jpg

Doug Lax
12-30-2014, 09:08 PM
+1. :yes:

antipop
01-10-2015, 06:53 AM
I was able to pick it up this morning and I was sad to see it was damaged during shipping despite what seemed to be a well protected package.

I guess the cap was not well inserted due to the proximity of the toroidal transformer.

I've sent an email with the picture and I'll see what the answer will be.

http://www.audioaficionado.org/attachments/video/37906d1420887199-oppo-linear-power-supply-img_1597.jpg

http://www.audioaficionado.org/attachments/video/37907d1420887207-oppo-linear-power-supply-img_1595.jpg

http://www.audioaficionado.org/attachments/video/37908d1420887218-oppo-linear-power-supply-img_1596.jpg

antipop
01-10-2015, 07:17 AM
I have received a very prompt reply, offering me to replace the cap and a small reimbursement for the trouble.

He will direct me to someone in France who can do the soldering job.

Very quick communication despite him being on vacations !

Glisse
01-11-2015, 08:57 AM
Georges, it is good he is being very responsive to this small problem.

It looks like the, heavy, transformer has moved a little during transport and that the cap was resting right against it which has snapped the flying leads of the cap.

Those Nichicon caps are very nice - is this the premium version?

I looked at their site, and they seem to have quite a few different board layouts. Yours does have the cap too close to the transformer - the transformer will vibrate, and caps are sensitive to vibration. When you have a repair guy solder the new cap in, I would ask him to keep it as far away from the transformer as possible so that they cannot touch. This might mean using a little hot glue underneath to lift it a little and run the flying leads a little longer to move it closer to the cap to its left and away from the transformer.

antipop
01-12-2015, 06:51 PM
Thank you Glisse. It is reassuring to know that he cares about customer service and he's doing the right things to fix it. He has also assured me that I could use the power supply even without the cap but I wouldn't get all the performance. It would be a temporary solution until he can send me the cap (he's on vacation at the moment).

I bought the SE version with the Nichikon caps for better performance. Looking at the picture, it seems that the transformer is larger than in the regular version and could explain why the cap was so close to it.

I will make sure that the repair guy fixes it by leaving a sufficient gap with the transformer.

antipop
02-05-2015, 10:51 AM
Just a quick update. I've received the new cap and the PSU has been sent for repair.

I just received word that the repair was done, the same as the PSU was received ! And I should get it back on Monday.

jdandy
02-06-2015, 12:46 AM
Georges.......Looking forward to hearing what you have to say about the sound of your Oppo with the linear power supply installed. Don't forget how much we like photos of the install.

antipop
02-06-2015, 09:02 AM
Georges.......Looking forward to hearing what you have to say about the sound of your Oppo with the linear power supply installed. Don't forget how much we like photos of the install.

You sure will :thumbsup:

I'm going to be busy soon as I should received the PSU at the same as my first care package from Ivan.

I've also ordered a linear psu for my mac mini and I'm thinking of modding it to remove the fan.

Fun times ahead :)

TOGA
02-06-2016, 11:35 PM
Dear Georges,
How are you doing ?
Here there is some other kind of modification. A guy in Bangkok replace caps in std machine with premium grade caps. From his post, original caps value were way off.
I did it on Pioneer LX88 too.
ทำความรู้จักกับการ MODIFY หรือ UP GRADE กันครับ (http://www.lcdtvthailand.com/webboard/index.php?topic=146859.0)
just look the picture, the texts are mostly he convincing us to use his service. But I
believe that it will be an improvement too.
I guess SMP may be suitable for video , even Oppo 105/95 keep that SMP for
video/digital board, the linear one is added for premium analog board only.

Toga

eljr
02-07-2016, 07:29 AM

i checked it out but they lost me with this "with 100 hours burn-in its true ability will come out."

antipop
02-15-2016, 08:09 AM
Dear Georges,
How are you doing ?
Here there is some other kind of modification. A guy in Bangkok replace caps in std machine with premium grade caps. From his post, original caps value were way off.
I did it on Pioneer LX88 too.
ทำความรู้จักกับการ MODIFY หรือ UP GRADE กันครับ (http://www.lcdtvthailand.com/webboard/index.php?topic=146859.0)
just look the picture, the texts are mostly he convincing us to use his service. But I
believe that it will be an improvement too.
I guess SMP may be suitable for video , even Oppo 105/95 keep that SMP for
video/digital board, the linear one is added for premium analog board only.

Toga

Dear Toga,

I'm very well and you? I've been very busy lately and I'm not here as much as I used to.

I can't see the pictures at work and I'll have a look when I get home.

I only use the digital module of the Oppo and not the analog board but I could see a difference in picture quality after installing the LMP. Additionally, SMP reinject a lot of noise into the electric grid and the whole system benefits from removing SMP.

I noticed a change in the mac mini as well by switching to a linear power supply. In the scheme of our system, it's a very cost-effective upgrade and it's easy to do.

TOGA
02-16-2016, 01:08 AM
Georges, I have been busy too. But generally fine, thanks.

Recently I have upgraded my BD Player to Pioneer LX88, the Oppo 93 will serve to play some BD discs only, so
No modificatio needed for Oppo for now.

Toga

piolaxo
02-17-2016, 03:48 PM
Dear Toga,

I'm very well and you? I've been very busy lately and I'm not here as much as I used to.

I can't see the pictures at work and I'll have a look when I get home.

I only use the digital module of the Oppo and not the analog board but I could see a difference in picture quality after installing the LMP. Additionally, SMP reinject a lot of noise into the electric grid and the whole system benefits from removing SMP.

I noticed a change in the mac mini as well by switching to a linear power supply. In the scheme of our system, it's a very cost-effective upgrade and it's easy to do.

Hi Georges, good to hear the improvements from the power supply. I may
be interested in the mods for my Oppo. I'm curious, didn't you go for the
clock module mod? The low jitter should be another big improvement for
both the audio and the video.

antipop
03-16-2016, 07:00 AM
I didn't go for it only because I don't have the soldering skills to install it and I don't have anyone near me that could do it. I felt the PSU was already a sufficient improvement.