PDA

View Full Version : I'm Fulla Schiit!

Puma Cat
12-18-2014, 12:29 AM
Just got my Fulla from Schiit today!

The Fulla (the Norse goddess of bounty) is a portable, USB-powered dongle DAC/Headphone amp. One of it's distinguishing features is an actual ALPS analog pot for controlling volume. No dithering to produce a digital volume control function.

This thing is tiny. It is too small even for a standard Type A USB jack, so it uses a mini-B jack. The USB A-to-mini B cord is really short; if you want to put this on the back of an iMac or 27" Thunderbolt display, consider getting a longer USB A-to-Mini B cord.

Also, I initially had it resting on top of a spinning hard drive and it was picking up some hum or noise from the spinning HD. Moving it just a few inches away completely eliminated the hum, though, so worries! :D

I'm listening to it right now. It's pretty cool having an actual analog volume pot in this thing. Driving my Senn Momentums like gangbusters with hardly any gain on the pot.

Some pics to follow tonight if I'm up to it....we shall see.

Once it burns in, I will be comparing it to AQ Dragonfly v1.2 and the LH Geek Out 450.

Once again, Schiit innovates like pretty much no one else in the industry. And, I mean that seriously.

Robert_Anderson
12-18-2014, 01:00 AM
I look forward to your impressions. I have heard nothing but good things about them in an industry filled with insanely over priced amps.

-E-
12-18-2014, 01:04 AM
First explorer and now this. What a perfect travel companion!

Puma Cat
12-18-2014, 01:10 AM
I look forward to your impressions. I have heard nothing but good things about them in an industry filled with insanely over priced amps.

You can say that again, Robert!

I have a Schiit Gungnir DAC in my main system, along with the Schiit Wyrd USB Decrapifier and of course, Loki, the trickster god of DSD, which sounds ridiculously good for a $149 product (for example, it sounds considerably better than an Audioquest Dragonfly v1.2, which is saying something).

Schiit is an incredibly innovative company that is like a breath of fresh air in an all too stuffy high-end industry. They remind me of Zu in that respect.

BTW, do a search for Schiit Happened and read the e-book about the founding of Schiit by co-founder Jason Stoddard. A very good, informative, and at times, very funny read. Also, lots of VERY good insights there about effectively running a technology-based business, especially a start-up.

These guys are no bullschiit! For example, they have a saying in their fulfillment/customer service center, "We will bend over backwards to help a customer, but we won't be bent forwards." :D

Puma Cat
12-18-2014, 02:20 AM
Some pics of Fulla...

All dressed up and nowhere to go...
http://photos.imageevent.com/puma_cat/generalfujixphotos/Fulla%201.jpg

Ready to paint the town red...
http://photos.imageevent.com/puma_cat/generalfujixphotos/Fulla%202.jpg

Fulla met up with a sexy Sony RX100 and blew all his money...
http://photos.imageevent.com/puma_cat/generalfujixphotos/Fulla%203.jpg

US Blues
12-18-2014, 09:18 AM
I too am looking forward to reading your impressions of the Fulla, even though I don't have a need for one right now.

I have a Gungnir too, great DAC, and am waiting for the Yggdrasil. :yes:

Robert_Anderson
12-18-2014, 02:56 PM
Just got my Fulla from Schiit today!

The Fulla (the Norse goddess of bounty) is a portable, USB-powered dongle DAC/Headphone amp. One of it's distinguishing features is an actual ALPS analog pot for controlling volume. No dithering to produce a digital volume control function.

This thing is tiny. It is too small even for a standard Type A USB jack, so it uses a mini-B jack. The USB A-to-mini B cord is really short; if you want to put this on the back of an iMac or 27" Thunderbolt display, consider getting a longer USB A-to-Mini B cord.

Also, I initially had it resting on top of a spinning hard drive and it was picking up some hum or noise from the spinning HD. Moving it just a few inches away completely eliminated the hum, though, so worries! :D

I'm listening to it right now. It's pretty cool having an actual analog volume pot in this thing. Driving my Senn Momentums like gangbusters with hardly any gain on the pot.

Some pics to follow tonight if I'm up to it....we shall see.

Once it burns in, I will be comparing it to AQ Dragonfly v1.2 and the LH Geek Out 450.

Once again, Schiit innovates like pretty much no one else in the industry. And, I mean that seriously.

Thanks for the link. These guys look so cool. I want a Fulla just for the name, and for the price, how can I resist? Good Schiit!:banana:

bart
12-18-2014, 03:58 PM
Stephen, I'm also looking forward to your review.

Fantastic thread title! :D

Puma Cat
12-19-2014, 02:10 AM
Thanks for the link. These guys look so cool. I want a Fulla just for the name, and for the price, how can I resist? Good Schiit!:banana:

Fulla is sounding pretty good, quite comparable to the AQ Dragonfly v1.2, and at almost half the price.