PDA

View Full Version : Gryphon Equipment

matt_zak
12-16-2009, 07:51 PM
Have any of you had a chance to listen to a system with Gryphon equipment? Just wondering because of all the amp companies that I've seen talked about in this forum I prefer the Gryphon's over them. They don't have the typical dry harsh sound I tend to hear when listening to the so called "ultra high-end amps"....boulder, goldmund, burmester, etc....

Anyhow just throwing a log in the fire to strike up some discussion lol.

cmalak
12-16-2009, 07:56 PM
Hi Matt...I know Andy Payor of Rockport Technologies really likes to showccase his speakers with Gryphon Amplification. He has done so many times at various audio shows. I really like his speakers. I have not had a chance to personally hear the Gryphon equipment though.

Still-One
12-16-2009, 08:01 PM
Have any of you had a chance to listen to a system with Gryphon equipment? Just wondering because of all the amp companies that I've seen talked about in this forum I prefer the Gryphon's over them. They don't have the typical dry harsh sound I tend to hear when listening to the so called "ultra high-end amps"....boulder, goldmund, burmester, etc....

Anyhow just throwing a log in the fire to strike up some discussion lol.
The only all Gryphon system I have heard was in Singapore. It was very nice but also very pricey. Unless you plan on keeping them for a long time I do not think there is a huge market in NA for the product, so I would keep that in mind.

Jim

matt_zak
12-16-2009, 08:11 PM
Stillone, I agree their new equipment is VERY pricey. One of the nearest dealers to me is in Switzerland. I had him email me the current pricing for 2010 lol their amps START at CHF 44,000 :eek2: and the frank to the dollar exchange rate is crap atm.

I'm considering looking for a used amp down the road. I've heard the older DM100 and it was stellar. I've owned and sold Mcintosh amps before so I might just settle on the tried and true 402 or splurge for the 501's. That'll be atleast a year down the road though. Gotta get new speakers first!

cmalak
12-16-2009, 08:33 PM
What are you thinking about on the speaker front Matt? Also are there any high-end audio dealers in SA? I know there are a bunch in Dubai and I think one or two in Lebanon but wasn't sure if any in SA...:scratch2:

PHC1
12-16-2009, 09:17 PM
Class A, no negative feedback Gryphon amps are nice indeed but there are other class A amps out there that are also very special. :yes:

TommyC
12-16-2009, 10:05 PM
Try Luxman or Accuphase Class A products. They are built like swiss watches and utilized very high end components.

PHC1
12-16-2009, 10:18 PM
How about Coda, Lamm, Plinius, Pass just to name a few? They are all either full/lower powered Class A or higher powered hybrids for more demanding loads. I am a big Class A, low to no negative feedback fan, they just sound right to my ears! No transistor crossover notch distortion (like many tube amps), as trivial as it may seem, it makes the amps sound more natural and relaxed. :yes: Of course loads of negative feedback makes for impressive paper specs on very low distortion. :D

f1 fan
12-16-2009, 11:40 PM
A friend of mine has a Gryphon system. Nice and expensive.

Dave

matt_zak
12-17-2009, 10:40 AM
cmalak: Right now I'm waiting to audition some Sonus Faber's. I've already listend to a few Focal JM Labs locally and they didn't do it for me. If the Sonus Fabers don't do it for me I'll have to make a trip to Dubai and listen to the Dynaudio, ProAc, Verity and a couple others.

PHC1: I haven't heard the Lamm or the Pass amps. Although reading reviews on them over the years they have intrigued me. There hasn't been a dealer near me that carries them though wherever I have lived.

howiebrou
12-19-2009, 06:03 AM
The gryphon stuff is fantastic. It has a very European sound if that means anything. I would classify it as saying that it is musical and not too concerned with the highest resolution and not harsh or obsessed with wattage figures.

Gryphon amps go well with metronome technologie cd players, another very nice brand to consider.

The gryphon speakers i have listened to the most are the giant Poseidons and whilst they are certainly good speakers, there are too many brands out there to make me want them. They also match well with Kharma speakers. :yes:

Their Coliseum amps are wonderful as is the Mirage preamp with its detachable front faceplate.

I think they have just released a cheap cd player. Might be worth checking out!

howie

matt_zak
12-19-2009, 04:46 PM
Yes, the Scorpio is a cheap cd player at CHF 12,600 lol. Out of all their newer products that I've heard the Sonata-Allegro Preamp is my favorite. One of the best preamps I've listened to.

trueblue
01-06-2010, 01:07 PM
Stillone, I agree their new equipment is VERY pricey. One of the nearest dealers to me is in Switzerland. I had him email me the current pricing for 2010 lol their amps START at CHF 44,000 :eek2: and the frank to the dollar exchange rate is crap atm.

I'm considering looking for a used amp down the road. I've heard the older DM100 and it was stellar. I've owned and sold Mcintosh amps before so I might just settle on the tried and true 402 or splurge for the 501's. That'll be atleast a year down the road though. Gotta get new speakers first!

Gryphon has dealers in Asia and the Middle east, why Switzerland ? does he offer better deals ?

gjm
01-18-2010, 04:07 PM
I had a Gryphon Callisto 2200 for a few years - fabulous piece of equipment. Even met with my wife's approval, both aurally and visually. During a period of madness - a vicious attack of upgraditis - we also briefly tried a Diablo but to my ears it sounded like it was (comparatively) trying a little too hard.

The very first time I played it, it really did take my breath away. The real deal. Stop breathing, feel your heart beating, wow! Relevant associated kit at that moment was an AVI S2000MC Reference CD player and a pair of Leema Xavier loudspeakers (another massively undersold and underestimated piece of kit). The CD in question was Madeleine Peyroux's 'Careless Love'.

That doesn't mean it's a jazz'n'blues amp though. It can really rock - Yngwie Malmsteen :guitar: was in my living room one Sunday morning... ;) At least, that's what it sounded like.

Cracking piece of kit. I recommend it.

dirtbag
03-02-2010, 11:46 PM
A client of mine had a Gryphon system with the Big Infinity towers that he has owned for years. It was in a huge concert hall type listening room and it was indeed an impressive system. Huge sound, Huge price.

Rocco
03-03-2010, 02:43 AM
Very good System "The Gryphon".

With best regards,
Rocco