PDA

View Full Version : Oppo BDP-83 Special Edition

jdandy
12-13-2009, 08:31 PM
I ordered the Oppo BDP-83 Special Edition today. As good as the standard BDP-83 sounds with the single Cirrus Logic DAC, and it does sound very good, I just could not resist owning the BDP-83SE with four ESS Sabre32 Ultra DAC's per channel, and the all new analog audio stage power supply.

I expect the Oppo BDP-83SE to be quite a step up in clarity, and sonic presentation. With specs like this: stereo: 20Hz - 44kHz (±0.2dB); 20Hz - 96kHz (±1.1dB); 7.1ch: 20Hz - 44kHz (±0.4dB), and an unweighted signal to noise ratio of 117dB, it would not surprise me to hear the BDP-83 Special Edition approach the performance level of the MCD500 in two channel analog output. In two channel Oppo uses the new ESS Sabre32 Ultra DAC's in a dual quad arrangement, similar to the MCD500. I am anticipating exceptional CD/HDCD/SACD/DVD/DVD-A, and Blu-ray DVD sound. Of course, the video section remains the same, but no reason to change any of that since it is using one of the most adavnced video precessing chips on the market today, the VRS by Anchor Bay. The 1080i and 1080p video performance of the Oppo BDP-83 and BDP-83SE is exemplary.

I will move the Oppo BPD-83 that is in the home theater system now to the living room system, where I have only two channels in the main system for DVD video sound, and I use "only" with tounge in cheek. I will move the new Sony BDP-S560 Blu-ray player from the living room to the bedroom, replacing the Pioneer Elite DV-37 DVD player there. That will finally put Blu-ray players at all four widescreens in the house.

I am looking forward to putting the new Oppo BDP-83 Special Edition into the surround sound system of the home theater. I am very excited to hear what the new ESS Sabre32 Ultra DAC's sound like. Even with the new DAC's, analog power supply, and backlit remote control, it is hard to believe this incredible Blu-ray player sells for less than $900.00. This is the player to beat under $2K in my opinion.

JSCC
12-13-2009, 09:01 PM
I ordered the Oppo BDP-83 Special Edition today. As good as the standard BDP-83 sounds with the single Cirrus Logic DAC, and it does sound very good, I just could not resist owning the BDP-83SE with four ESS Sabre32 Ultra DAC's per channel, and the all new analog audio stage power supply.

I expect the Oppo BDP-83SE to be quite a step up in clarity, and sonic presentation. With specs like this: stereo: 20Hz - 44kHz (±0.2dB); 20Hz - 96kHz (±1.1dB); 7.1ch: 20Hz - 44kHz (±0.4dB), and an unweighted signal to noise ratio of 117dB, it would not surprise me to hear the BDP-83 Special Edition approach the performance level of the MCD500 in two channel analog output. In two channel Oppo uses the new ESS Sabre32 Ultra DAC's in a dual quad arrangement, similar to the MCD500. I am anticipating exceptional CD/HDCD/SACD/DVD/DVD-A, and Blu-ray DVD sound. Of course, the video section remains the same, but no reason to change any of that since it is using one of the most adavnced video precessing chips on the market today, the VRS by Anchor Bay. The 1080i and 1080p video performance of the Oppo BDP-83 and BDP-83SE is exemplary.

I will move the Oppo BPD-83 that is in the home theater system now to the living room system, where I have only two channels of the main system for DVD video sound, and I use "only" with tounge in cheek. I will move the new Sony BDP-S560 Blu-ray player from the living room to the bedroom, replacing the Pioneer Elite DV-37 DVD player there. That will finally put Blu-ray players at all four widescreens in the house.

I am looking forward to putting the new Oppo BDP-83 Special Edition into the surround sound system of the home theater. I am very excited to hear what the new ESS Sabre32 Ultra DAC's sound like. Even with the new DAC's, analog power supply, and backlit remote control, it is hard to believe this incredible Blu-ray player sells for less than $900.00. This is the player to beat under $2K in my opinion.

Dan,

Indeed the Oppo BDP-83se is a great machine, by far in terms of cost vs performance. However, I was wondering why you did not order the one MOD by ModWright? Think their additional works would place this already very excellent player right up there with the best - and still at a very competitive pricing.

Anyway, congratulations on your new collection ..... think more to come. Noticed you have been on a shopping spree since the acquisition of the EB1i's.

Cheers!

1KW
12-13-2009, 09:03 PM
Congrats Dan,

Just curious why you didn't you just send yours back for the $300 for the upgrade ?

thughes
12-13-2009, 09:17 PM
... maybe Dan will send his back for the upgrade once he hears the SE.

Dan asked me to create this thread, and I wasn't sure what to say. I have the Oppo BDP-83 Special Edition already, and I love it. I have difficulty "A/B ing" it because I don't have the MCD500 to compare to. I want to hear Dan's comparision of the 83 in 2-channel going head to head with the MCD500.

I am very impressed with the sound quality I am getting from the SE. It replaces a Panasonic Blu-ray working through the HDMI of the Onkyo processor. Now, the SE runs multi-channel analog out into the Onkyo. The Onkyo goes out over XLR to an MC205 running B&W 804S's, HTMD3, and 805S's.

I am now replaying some of my opera and ballet disks. I sat through the Nutcracker the other night and thorougly enjoyed it, likewise the Legends of Jazz. I need to spend more time with the SE to make the final verdict, but my initial sense is that I am enjoying music a lot more in the home theater now.

I am thinking about moving it downstairs to compare with the MCD301.

JT3
12-13-2009, 09:54 PM
I ordered the regular one recently, and very pleased. I might send it for upgrading, maybe one day.

Everything about Oppo is first rate IMO.

jdandy
12-13-2009, 09:57 PM
Jerry.......I have four reasons for not considering the ModWright upgrade modifications. The first reason is I want the new ESS DACs, and they are not part of ModWright's upgrade. Second, The surround sound home theater system is in the same room as my all tube two channel system which includes the MCD500. It is, and will remain my prefered two channel source. I am not looking for a modded DVD player attempting to outperform it. Third, although I enjoy the novelty of surround sound music, and concert DVD's, and really like surround sound for movies, my preference for listening to music is two channels. The final reason is the price of the mod. $1296.00 plus shipping, not including the original cost of the BDP-83 player. Since surround sound is most important to me for movies, of which I am not as critical of the sound, the cost versus benefit ratio of the ModWright upgrade is too extreme for my requirements.

When the new Oppo BDP-83 Special Edition arrives I will compare it's two channel analog performance to the MCD500 for curiosities sake, not because I intend to replace the MCD500 as my two channel source in the studio. Besides, the Oppo player will be connected to the MX120 in the surround sound system, not the C1000T in the two channel tube system.

I know the improved audio performance with the ESS Sabre32 Ultra DAC's, and the new analog power supply are well worth the $899 price of the BDP-83SE. It is my desire to have the improved DAC's at my service in the home theater system for the times I play surround sound SACD's and concert DVD's, but that is a small part of the hours I spend listening to music in the studio. I see no benefit for my use of the player to go for an extreme, high dollar modification to my original BDP-83, and still be without the new ESS DAC's.

Still-One
12-13-2009, 09:58 PM
Dan
Are you going to be able to see how this handles music blu-ray in 2-channel mode? I would like a hi rez music only blu ray player but will not use it that often so this price point is pretty good. Do you have disc that could be downl=mixed to 2-channel to try out?
Jim

jdandy
12-13-2009, 10:11 PM
Just curious why you didn't just send yours back for the $300 upgrade ?

David.......I considered the $299 upgrade, but decided I would rather move the BDP-83 I have now to the living room system. I have Sony 52XBR9 displays in the studio and the living room, both able to take full advantage of the gorgeous 1080p Blu-ray output of the Oppo BDP-83 players. Since I only use two channel audio for the video in the living room system, it made the most sense to purchase a new Special Edition player for the studio surround sound system, where I can make the best use of the improved DAC's, and move the original Oppo BDP-83 player upstairs.

jdandy
12-13-2009, 10:17 PM
Jim.......At this time I have no high-rez audio discs.

thughes
12-13-2009, 11:00 PM
Dan,

Try some of the 2L blu-rays -- blu-ray, multiple formats, and an SACD -- all in the same package.

jdandy
12-13-2009, 11:08 PM
Terry.......Thanks, I'll look for some. Any suggested stores or websites?

jdandy
12-13-2009, 11:20 PM
.....my initial sense is that I am enjoying music a lot more in the home theater now.

I am thinking about moving it downstairs to compare with the MCD301.

Terry.......The Oppo BDP-83SE in two channel uses the eight ESS Sabre32 Ultra DAC's in a dual quad configuration. In a head to head comparison with the MCD301, it would not surprise me to hear you say the Oppo sounds better. Do the comparison, using the same type interconnects on both, and let us know what you think. This could get very interesting. :yes:

Jimmy
12-14-2009, 12:43 AM
This is getting very interesting. I am looking forward to reading the AA reviews on how the SE performs when compared to some of the reference players in 2 channel mode. Every review that I have read on the standard Oppo BDP-83 player say it's pretty much better or on par with the reference Blu-Ray players with an attractive price point. Something tells me Dan, the SE will not disappoint. :no:

jdandy
12-14-2009, 12:57 AM
Jimmy.......I'm thinking the same thing. We shall see.

thughes
12-14-2009, 06:18 PM
Terry.......Thanks, I'll look for some. Any suggested stores or websites?

Dan, I ususally buy from Amazon, but I see Divertimenti has supposedly gone out of print and is selling for some high costs. Here is a link to 2L from bluray.com, one of my favorite sites for learning about Blu-ray. The link is for their sampler.

The Nordic Sound - 2L Audiophile Reference Recordings Blu-ray (2009) (http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Nordic-Sound-2L-Audiophile-Reference-Recordings-Blu-ray/5296/)

thughes
12-14-2009, 06:21 PM
Terry.......The Oppo BDP-83SE in two channel uses the eight ESS Sabre32 Ultra DAC's in a dual quad configuration. In a head to head comparison with the MCD301, it would not surprise me to hear you say the Oppo sounds better. Do the comparison, using the same type interconnects on both, and let us know what you think. This could get very interesting.

I know it uses the same DACs. I do intend to move it into the 2 channel system, but right now I'm having so much fun with it in the surround system I may have to just buy two of them.

By the way, Shakira is on her way to my house.

Still-One
12-14-2009, 06:34 PM
I had a very interesting discussion with a dealer today. He mentioned that "some" of the mid to higher end companies are not going to be continue investing in high end video players because there is not "a lot" that can be done to improve Blu Rays video performance. Sure you could work on the DAC's for the audio end but even there you are going to have nothing but the HDMI output in a few more years. Maybe this is why OPPO units are so popular with the video crowd.
Jim

thughes
12-14-2009, 06:54 PM
you are going to have nothing but the HDMI output in a few more years.

There's a lot to be said for the ease of use of the HDMI interconnect.

jdandy
12-14-2009, 07:10 PM
I know it uses the same DACs. I do intend to move it into the 2 channel system, but right now I'm having so much fun with it in the surround system I may have to just buy two of them.

By the way, Shakira is on her way to my house.

Terry.......You will certainly enjoy that Blu-ray DVD.

http://img146.imageshack.us/img146/4698/1280x1024bshakiragb2.jpg

Still-One
12-14-2009, 07:20 PM
Terry.......You will certainly enjoy that Blu-ray DVD.

http://img146.imageshack.us/img146/4698/1280x1024bshakiragb2.jpg
There are Beautiful Women, there the girl next door cute women and then there are Sexy women. I know where my vote goes for where Shakira falls.

PHC1
12-14-2009, 07:21 PM
Dan, for the price, the Oppo 83SE is a no brainer. Looking forward to your impressions on the audio section. :thumbsup:

cmalak
12-14-2009, 08:09 PM
oh...what the hell...i'll go ahead and upgrade mine...why not? :thumbsup:

jdandy
12-14-2009, 09:43 PM
Dan, for the price, the Oppo 83SE is a no brainer. Looking forward to your impressions on the audio section. :thumbsup:

Serge.......That is exactly how I viewed it. :yes:

thughes
12-15-2009, 12:58 AM
Dan will probably have his soon. Mine shipped very quickly. I had it in about 4 days total.

jdandy
12-15-2009, 01:10 AM
Dan will probably have his soon. Mine shipped very quickly. I had it in about 4 days total.

Terry.......Just got an email notice at 9:45PM Monday night that Oppo shipped my player by FedEx. I won't be able to track it until tomorrow. That is pretty quick from order to shipping. Now, if FedEx can get it here in one piece. :scratch2:

thughes
12-15-2009, 07:53 AM
Dan,

I had no trouble from FedEx. The unit is double boxed and should travel fine.

jdandy
12-15-2009, 12:30 PM
Terry.......That's good news. This morning the tracking number tells me the Oppo BDP-83SE will be here Friday.

jdandy
12-15-2009, 07:12 PM
Good news. Another look at the FedEx tracking site this evening shows the Oppo BDP-83SE being delivered Thursday instead of Friday. They probably added two more horses to the wagon. :thumbsup:

deafbykhorns
12-15-2009, 08:46 PM
I have a feeling this is going to cost me $900 or upgrade my existing BDP-83 to SE edition for $300. I can hear it now, "the SE Edition rivals the MCD500 except for the lack of inputs".

jdandy
12-15-2009, 09:03 PM
I have a feeling this is going to cost me $900 or upgrade my existing BDP-83 to SE edition for $300. I can hear it now, "the SE Edition rivals the MCD500 except for the lack of inputs".

John.......Come on over. We'll audition it together, and you can write the review. :D

Keep in mind, the $299.00 upgrade is only good through the end of this month. After that, the upgrade path is over, and BDP-83SE will be the only way to get the upgraded analog power supply and ESS Saber32 Ultra DAC's. If you're going to upgrade your existing Oppo BDP-83, do it soon.

deafbykhorns
12-15-2009, 09:21 PM
I have about 10 days of vacation left this year, I may have to do one of them at your house :scratch2: A half a day is just not enough time to take in your system/systems. Also anxious to hear your new setup in the studio.

jdandy
12-15-2009, 09:40 PM
John.......PM sent.

thughes
12-15-2009, 10:01 PM
If you're going to upgrade your existing Oppo BDP-83, do it soon.

Dan, what you wrote earlier not withstanding, you should be upgrading too. My guess is that you will know this once you start hearing the SE when you get it.

jdandy
12-15-2009, 10:11 PM
Dan, what you wrote earlier not withstanding, you should be upgrading too. My guess is that you will know this once you start hearing the SE when you get it.

Terry.......Once I move the Oppo BDP-83 that's in the studio now to the living room, it will only be for movies, no music, and only in two channel. The existing DAC in the BDP-83 is very good, and will serve that purpose well. I will still have time, should I change my mind after getting the new BDP-83SE in the studio system.

TommyC
12-15-2009, 10:50 PM

Do you think it'll beat my 5.5K MVP871? :tears:

jdandy
12-15-2009, 11:36 PM
Do you think it'll beat my 5.5K MVP871? :tears:

TommyC.......I have not had the pleasure to audition the MVP871, but it is a fine DVD player by all accounts. I also like that it can decode HDCD discs, and has balanced outputs. Of course, the beautiful black glass, fiber optic lit face plate creates McIntosh's distinctive atmosphere in the rack. That can't be beat, IMHO.

The Oppo BDP-83SE is a different competitor in the Blu-ray group. It is yet to be determined by me how it will stand up as a two channel and surround sound audio player. I do have high hopes for it's performance level, if for nothing else than superb surround sound for my home theater system.

TommyC
12-16-2009, 03:34 AM
TommyC.......I have not had the pleasure to audition the MVP871, but it is a fine DVD player by all accounts. I also like that it can decode HDCD discs, and has balanced outputs. Of course, the beautiful black glass, fiber optic lit face plate creates McIntosh's distinctive atmosphere in the rack. That can't be beat, IMHO.

The Oppo BDP-83SE is a different competitor in the Blu-ray group. It is yet to be determined by me how it will stand up as a two channel and surround sound audio player. I do have high hopes for it's performance level, if for nothing else than superb surround sound for my home theater system.

I'm eagerly waiting for your review on the OPPO. Do allow some burn-in time for a fair match with the MCD500. If the OPPO is up there (in 2 channel) with the MCD500, I might add it to the rack.

thughes
12-16-2009, 08:25 PM
Dan,

Shakira was here for a visit today -- makes a guy wish that at times he were a microphone stand.

PHC1
12-16-2009, 09:29 PM
Dan,

Shakira was here for a visit today -- makes a guy wish that at times he were a microphone stand.

You like to be spit on during vocals? :scratch2:

cmalak
12-16-2009, 09:32 PM
You like to be spit on during vocals? :scratch2:

:roflmao:

thughes
12-16-2009, 10:54 PM
You like to be spit on during vocals?

... hadn't thought about that, but she does do a lot of rubbing and fondling with the mic stand.

thughes
12-19-2009, 10:52 AM
Dan,

Surely, your new Oppo has arrived by now.

jdandy
12-19-2009, 01:35 PM
Terry.......It arrive about 5:00PM last night. I plan to get the Oppo BDP-83SE installed in the studio system this afternnon, and move the other Oppo BDP-83 to the living room system at the same time. I had too much going on last night to get into it. More to come.

thughes
12-19-2009, 07:19 PM
I had too much going on last night to get into it.

Did it involve the avatars?