PDA

View Full Version : McIntosh D100 - Blended Competency or Confused Purpose?

Yamaki
11-15-2014, 12:37 AM
The McIntosh D100 – Blended Competency or Confused Purpose?

Many perceive that McIntosh is all about big blue meters, weighty amplifiers, and quality components produced in the good old USofA for the discerning audiophile. And, just maybe, they appear to some as an older firm that is a bit stuffy and behind the times because their designs all look alike.

Clearly, McIntosh has been with us for quite some time and they were recognized very early back in the day for outstanding build quality, a unique aesthetic and their single minded dedication to building the best. But that doesn’t mean they are resting on their hard earned laurels from decades past. Rather McIntosh was, and still is, an innovative manufacturer of high end audio equipment. This is a company that is not afraid to embrace today’s technology. A case in point is the D100 digital pre-amplifier.

A friend of mine, by the name of John (aka Pider), loaned me his D100 to “try it out and see what you think.” I think John is a pusher of audio drugs but at least he has good taste. I don’t hesitate to repeat the favor every time I get the opportunity. However, I digress.

Is it a DAC? Is it a pre-amplifier? Or is it a headphone amplifier? Can it be all three and still excel? Is it too confusing to use and compromised by the conglomeration of multiple functions in one box? We’ll get to all that later. First, let’s get to know the D100.

McIntosh has been known for producing car-priced gear. The D100 is not as expensive as a new car but you could buy a reliable daily driver for the listed MSRP. The folks at McIntosh will admit they view the component as entry level compared to other products in their considerable line. This does not mean the D100 is sub-standard or deficient by any measure. Far from it. There is a solid, almost palpable, presence of purpose and quality here that includes an impressive blend of functionality and features which makes driving a D100 a distinct pleasure. Let’s lift the hood and do some exploring, shall we?

Looking inside you see what McIntosh has done and you can’t fault their approach to quality and function. You’ll find separate boards for the digital input interconnection circuitry, the DAC chip and supporting processors, the dedicated headphone amplifier, and the analog outputs; all nicely spaced so as not to interfere with each other. A lot of number crunching, designing and testing went into the D100 and it shows. There is no evidence of poor workmanship, shoddy materials or production shortcuts anywhere.

Surely the internal components are important but there is also a cherished aesthetic inherent in McIntosh gear that has become their trademark. The D100 carries on the McIntosh visual tradition faithfully. The LED and fiber optic driven front panel exhibits the characteristic green logo and a large, easy to read, digital display which immediately lets you know what input is active and the bit rate and the kHz of your source material. If one were to nitpick, it would be nice if McIntosh gave us a bit more range to play with in respects to the display brightness level. It’s either High or Low…that’s it with nothing in between. How hard would it have been to use the variable settings from some of their other components?

Moving on, to the left of the center display is the headphone jack, the input control knob and manual mute button. Something to note: The unit’s remote control does not have a mute button on it. If this piece will become your dedicated pre-amp, consider getting an inexpensive programmable remote as the volume button may become seriously worn over time. As an alternate, leave one of the five inputs empty which can function as a form of muting when you select it.

There’s a bit more to see on the front, namely the IR sensor, the setup button, a volume level control and the standby/power button. Lastly, the traditional black glass panel, a small red LED power indicator and the brushed aluminum side trims round out the front face. Pretty traditional yet purposeful and utterly devoid of any nonsensical frills. Clearly, this unit’s minimalist appearance exhibits the entry level designation McIntosh describes it as but it is not without its appeal to the McIntosh faithful.

Taking a walk around the back, kicking the tires as we go, you’ll see the on the left all the power and control connections which are comprised of the AC power input, In and Out power control signal connections, a Data In port for control of the unit via a McIntosh pre-amplifier (which do have a Mute function), and an IR input for signals from a compatible IR room sensor. Then come the digital inputs, including one USB, two optical and two digital coaxial inputs each. To the right is a nice feature, fixed and variable output balance XLR connections in addition to the standard unbalanced RCA outputs. If it’s missing anything it would be one more digital input, an AES/EBU connection. But, this is entry level, remember? We can’t have it all. But I’d really like to see one on a component that costs as much as a good daily driver. This is strictly a two-channel affair and that’s one more indication that “entry level” comes in many forms.

But that’s what it’s supposed to be, a good daily driver. Well, how does it go? Let’s give it a test drive.

Setup is very, very easy. Plug in your sources to their corresponding inputs. Then, connect your outputs to their destination. Remember, fixed audio outputs are used when connecting to a pre-amp with separate volume controls. Use the variable audio outputs if you are using the D100 as a pre-amp in addition to the DAC and headphone functions, connecting it directly to your amplifier(s). Then, if you so choose, connect your data, IR and power control cables . Lastly, plug in the power cable and you are almost ready to hit the gas.
Turning to the front of the unit, press your power standby button once to initiate the power circuit, then press it once more to turn the unit on. You can run the unit with the McIntosh default presets or customize it to your own liking by using the setup button and the level control knob. You won’t have much to do here other than setting the volume level (which can also be done via remote), selecting the input, viewing the firmware version, enabling the Auto Power On/Off function and setting the aforementioned brightness level. Easy as pie. With all this done you can release the parking brake and hit the road.

For this test, the unit was utilized as a DAC and a headphone amplifier only. Other connection options were not employed due to available time and a strong desire to connect the D100 in my system as I would any other DAC.

Source material was delivered to the D100 via coaxial connection from a Moon MiND 180 digital streamer connected via Ethernet to my server, all managed via iPad and SimAudio’s Apple app control software.

The D100’s signal was delivered to a McIntosh MX119 and eventually out through a pair of Emotiva XPA-1 monoblock amplifiers driving two Aerial Acoustic 8 floorstanding speakers. Interconnect cables are Wireworld and Audioquest offerings. In headphone mode I plugged both my Sennheiser HC700 and Sennheiser Momentum Black headphones directly to the D100. For this test, I pulled my Yulong Sabre D18 DAC from service and put the D100 in its place. While this review is focused on the D100, I must say the Yulong DAC line is a lesser known wonder of the audio world and well worth a listen.

The questions were asked earlier - Is it a DAC? Is it a pre-amplifier? Or is it a headphone amplifier? Can it be all three and still excel? This reviewer gives it three positive Yes’s and one qualified Yes.

The D100 comes equipped with an ESS Sabre 8 channel DAC capable of handling up to 32 bit / 192 kHz PCM data. Other than the aforementioned lack of an AES/EBU connection, which is not a deal killer, this entry level unit excels as a DAC.

We all know a poor source is a poor source and there’s no refinement inherent with any DAC that can overcome the shortcomings of a low quality file. I tried a mix of file formats including low to high resolution mp3, standard Apple quality m4a, CD quality FLAC and higher resolution FLAC up to 24/192. The D100 will play the lowest of the low and best of the best quality files with equal aplomb and seamless functionality. It is definitely true to the music, presenting a clear and transparent reproduction. You can expect a good file to sound good and, conversely, a bad file to sound bad. Regardless of format, with the D100 in play all the good quality files sounded good, even with their disparate formats, bit resolutions and sampling rates.

Of particular note is how the D100 separates the high, mid and bass ranges; presenting each at their own time and in their own place; all the while ultimately delivering a fluid and well balanced tonal experience. There is more detail, depth and soundstage here than one would expect for an “entry level” component. So as a DAC, the D100 is a definite Yes.

Is it a pre-amplifier? Well, this is where the answer is a qualified Yes. Certainly, it has volume control, input switching and the ability to accommodate a multitude of sources. However, it is digital only. Yes, we live in a digital world but there are those among us who live and die by the analog sources they cherish. My advice is if you are looking for a pre-amplifier for vinyl spinning, R2R playback or those rollicking cassette party tapes from the 80’s, look elsewhere. Not that the pre-amplifier in the D100 is deficient in any way. It simply is not as well-rounded as other units, even those within the McIntosh line. This is obviously where “entry level” comes into play again but if all you need is a pre-amplifier to handle up to five all digital sources, you could do much worse than the D100.

Time to put on the cans and let the headphones deliver some waves. While there are numerous brands of headphones available, I’ve always been partial to the fit and delivery of the Sennheiser line. I doubt that the reader will go running out and purchase a pair of either models I used for this review as they really don’t need to. You have your own favorites to use and the D100 will deliver the goods regardless of what brand your cans are. Just know that the headphone output's impedance is 47 Ohms and you should act accordingly. Ear buds will definitely not work and shame on you for using them in the first place with gear of this quality.

The headphone output was dead silent in between tracks. So quiet as to sound as if all matter had been sucked out of the universe and you were standing alone in absolute nothing. Sure, a good pair of over the ear headphones contribute to that isolation, however, the D100 makes sure that quiet is quiet and when there is music being played, the delivery is detailed, inviting and sonically pure. The peaks are a wonder to behold. I found myself reversing Murray Head’s “One Night In Bangkok” to the beginning several times just to be able to hear those impressive drums bouncing between the channels, creating a sonic path from ear to ear and a grin that was even wider. As a headphone amplifier, the D100 scores another definitive Yes.

So, does the D100 excel at all three functions? That depends on your needs, your sources and your pocketbook. For all the right reasons, and with today’s digitally focused world, the D100 will excel as all three components. In other words, the D100 represents Blended Perfection for a digital world and merits your close scrutiny if and when you are looking to step up your digital game with quality and finesse. The sound is open, detailed and dynamic, putting you right in the music with no hint that there is a pile of audio gear in front of you.

And for you McIntosh diehards, the future is now. This beloved brand has risen to the occasion once again, providing you with a quality, multi-functional component that seamlessly and professionally blends with your McIntosh audio treasure trove. Embrace the new age with nary a fear. It’s that good.

In closing I’d like to address one other question, the inevitable one posed to reviewers of all types of gear, which is; “Would you buy one?”

In a word, Yes.

Or, I might move unexpectedly and leave my friend John wondering what happened to his D100. :D

crwilli
11-15-2014, 12:46 AM
Great read Michael. For me, buying used, it was a incredible deal as a DAC only. Someday, if I buy a better DAC, I will move this to my second system to act as a digital preamp - and that is the power of the D100.

Sent from my iPad using A.Aficionado

Yamaki
11-15-2014, 12:53 AM
Glad you liked it!

'cisco
11-15-2014, 01:01 AM
A very nice review Michael :thumbsup:.....the D100 is still on my list if another item doesn't pan out for me.

I don't suppose you hooked up the D100 to an LED TV via optical? ....or anyone else out there? :scratch2:

Yamaki
11-15-2014, 01:02 AM
I have not tried that particular connection.

Thanks for the kind words.

crwilli
11-15-2014, 01:05 AM
Until I bought the W4S Remedy, I had my Sonos connected via Optical to the D 100. It sounded fine. The RCa connection and the Remedy kill it however. Sent from my iPad using A.Aficionado

2fastdriving
11-15-2014, 01:06 AM
Very nice review. I used my d100 as a dac only, and it was very good. After trying several other options, Only my k-03 has bested it, at several times the cost.

Yamaki
11-15-2014, 01:07 AM
Thank you, Marc.

beowulf
11-15-2014, 04:46 AM
Wow, great review. I really enjoyed reading this!

JemHadar
11-15-2014, 06:00 AM
Thank you for sharing...excellent write up.

djwhog
11-15-2014, 08:21 AM
Wow, great review. I really enjoyed reading this!

+ very nice enjoyed the write up thank you :)

EfeTe
11-15-2014, 08:24 AM
Brilliant stuff Michael, cheers.

I liked the way you tackled this, the "prose" but also how you established certain facts & figures and decided to evaluate the D100 breaking it down to DAC, HEADPHONE AMP, and PREAMP. Very useful indeed.

Could not agree more with your assessment and the whole thing sheds some light on my current quest (ref the D100 as a digital preamp). Currently my setup consists of a power + the D100 used as preamp/DAC but I'm always thinking, should I get a great integrated (say an MA7000)? Or maintain my D100 as joint pre/DAC functions and just get a suitable power amp (202, 2205, 5200 etc) instead?

Since for me it's no vinyl and almost all digital sources, I believe based on your report I'd be leaning towards incorporating just the power amp and sticking to the highly competent D100.

Thanks again for sharing
Fernando

Parabellum
11-15-2014, 09:05 AM
Excellent review and finely written. I really enjoyed reading it. Thanks!

BuffaloBill
11-15-2014, 09:42 AM
Anyone happy with the D100 as a digital pre-amp but wishes to occasionally spin a record album can add a turntable with digital out for excellent analog sound quality.

Pider
11-15-2014, 11:00 AM
A very nice review Michael :thumbsup:.....the D100 is still on my list if another item doesn't pan out for me.

I don't suppose you hooked up the D100 to an LED TV via optical? ....or anyone else out there? :scratch2:

Not an LED, but a plasma with optical out. The SQ is excellent.

Pider
11-15-2014, 11:08 AM
Could not agree more with your assessment and the whole thing sheds some light on my current quest (ref the D100 as a digital preamp). Currently my setup consists of a power + the D100 used as preamp/DAC but I'm always thinking, should I get a great integrated (say an MA7000)? Or maintain my D100 as joint pre/DAC functions and just get a suitable power amp (202, 2205, 5200 etc) instead?

Funny you should mention this. I was just thinking of the MA7000 + D100 combo last night. Or, use it as a pre with a MC302. If you did the latter, you could always add a pre later, should you feel the need.

'cisco
11-15-2014, 01:29 PM
Not an LED, but a plasma with optical out. The SQ is excellent.

Thanks Pider......that's nice to know. :thumbsup:

btw.....what optical cable are you using? I'm thinking a 2m WW Super Nova 7.

chessman
11-15-2014, 02:21 PM
Michael, outstanding review! :thumbsup:

Pider
11-15-2014, 03:36 PM
Thanks Pider...... btw.....what optical cable are you using? I'm thinking a 2m WW Super Nova 7.

Generic. I think from the TV, it's green. From the BluRay, it's gray.

Seriously, though, I've been upgrading slowly to WW IC's. Haven't gotten to the optical yet. So far USB and the patch analog between the D100 and amp. Your choice sounds good to me!

Yamaki
11-15-2014, 03:37 PM
Thanks, Randy!

bart
11-15-2014, 05:24 PM
Wow, AA has great reviewers!
Congrats Michael!

Yamaki
11-15-2014, 05:46 PM
Wow, AA has great reviewers!
Congrats Michael!

You are too kind!

Thanks much.

11-15-2014, 06:12 PM
You are too kind!

Thanks much.

No he's not you did an excellent job in writing this, I kept looking for links to the article. :D

I wish I could write .01% that good.:yes:

Yamaki
11-15-2014, 06:15 PM
LOL...well, that's the article right there.

Thanks again.

11-15-2014, 06:32 PM
LOL...well, that's the article right there.

Thanks again.

Well then you need to edit it:D

By Michael, November 15, 2014

A few copy rights infringements threats on the botom and your good to go:thumbsup:

Yamaki
11-15-2014, 06:54 PM
:lmao:

PMCH
11-15-2014, 07:04 PM
Great read Michael. You are an excellent writer.

Yamaki
11-15-2014, 07:15 PM
Thank you, Paul. That's very kind of you to say so.

jdandy
11-15-2014, 07:50 PM
Michael.......Fine review and fun to read. Thanks for the notable effort to provide a great post for us to enjoy. :thumbsup:

Yamaki
11-15-2014, 07:53 PM
Dan..Certainly not as polished as your contributions here. I did enjoy putting it together.

o0OBillO0o
11-15-2014, 09:25 PM
Good read! Thanks for taking the time.

BowiePop
11-16-2014, 02:48 AM
Thank you Michael,
great review!

I will try it in few weeks, i think it will coming up soon at home!

Eric

Yamaki
11-16-2014, 09:59 AM
Thank you, Eric. Good luck with your audition!

tutomac
11-16-2014, 10:27 AM
Michael, that was really enjoyable... Made my Sunday morning coffee session prior to work a happy affair.

I too swear by the D100. As you can see in my signature, I own two. I decided to benefit from two of the D100's capabilities, that is I use one as a DAC and the other as Preamp/DAC. I share your enthusiasm on both applications.

I however, have not experienced the same bliss while attempting to exploit the D100's other offering: it's headphone amplifier.

Now, before going any further and to be fair, I only own one pair if cans, the HiFiMAN 500HE. These are the infamous planar magnetic type that tend to be difficult to drive well. I'm new to audio, and why I chose these as my first pair I will never fully comprehend... Perhaps the intension of going after the paranormal, or the tendency I have of complicating my life unnecessarily. My wife would agree to the latter.

Anyways, I love the SQ of the 500HEs. The problem is that I do not think the D100 drives them loud enough for my taste. I agree on your assessment on the dead background and separation of frequencies/sounds. I would add the D100 is a tad warmer than, say, the Benchmark DAC2, which I like.

Finally, I also want to point out that the D100 does have a slight flaw: it chirps between tracts. It's a subtle noise at low to medium volume levels, but can become quite apparent at louder ones. It reminds me of a little guy inside the DAC sorting through my music library to pick and play my next selection... Kinda of surreal specially when I'm having my gin and tonic at night...

I do not know the etiology of this little annoyance, nor do I care really. I'm used to it, and 75% of the time I do not notice it. I just know there are some people out there that may be unstable enough as to lose it completely when faced by this every day LOL

All in all, the D100 is my second favorite piece of Mc equipment (the MC452 is number one). It does not feel entry level to me by any standard (despite the chirping, which I assume (hope) happens elsewhere).

Also, if I may, in the vast ocean of DA conversion, there are so many shapes and colors that it is really a relief to have a wonderful performer that actually matches the Mcintosh classic look and presence.

In the next few month I will a) buy a new pair of more conventional cans, and b) buy a dedicated HP amp. This way I will be able to offer a final verdict on the D100's ability to drive "difficult" phones (final verdict to me, not y'all, of course).

Happy listening, and thanks again, Michael!

Yamaki
11-16-2014, 11:02 AM
Thank you for the kind words, Hector.

I agree...there are better headphone dedicated amps out there. However, within the context of a multi-function box, you could do worse than the D100. Headphone use is more the exception than the rule at my abode. I have another headphone amp, from ProJect, and it does a good job but I find listening to the D100 directly a bit more enjoyable.

I've have yet to hear any chirping between tracks with this unit in my system, or ever for that matter, and wonder if you hear it with the other D100 in your system or if it is some latent source issue.

In any event, I hope you enjoy your D100's for a long time!

tweet
11-16-2014, 11:30 AM
Michael... Excellent review. The D100 is an excellent performer and looks fabulous. I spent many enjoyable evenings with one in my setup and never felt like I had made the wrong choice. The MCD1100 had been on my wish list for many moons and when a great deal on AA showed up I made the jump. The McIntosh D100 is a great unit at a great price and will retain its appeal long after many others have faded from memory. Thanks for posting. :thumbsup:

Yamaki
11-16-2014, 11:43 AM
Glad to do it, Terry.

I hope to have some McIntosh amps to write about next month! :yes:

In the meantime I am trying to get in as much listening time as I can before I hand the unit back to its owner next week. :sigh:

tutomac
11-16-2014, 12:05 PM
Michael, you gave me an idea. I will swap my D100s and see if I still hear the noise between tracks. BTW I believe there is a thread elsewhere here on AA about the same chirping noise I experience, and I do not recall if there was a clear understanding as to why it happens. In the haste of work, I could not readily find that thread.

Anyways, I will report if the noise still happens with my second unit... (unless this is drifting away too far from the OP. You guys can let me know:thumbsup:)

Cheers!

tweet
11-16-2014, 12:11 PM
I hope to have some McIntosh amps to write about next month! :yes:

:banana:

Yamaki
11-16-2014, 12:24 PM
I don't mind if you post the info here, Hector. I'd like to know what you find out!

Pider
11-16-2014, 01:45 PM
I've have yet to hear any chirping between tracks with this unit in my system, or ever for that matter, and wonder if you hear it with the other D100 in your system or if it is some latent source issue. In any event, I hope you enjoy your D100's for a long time!

Hector, Michael is correct. There is no chirping between cuts, if I am playing music from my NAS. What I have heard is almost an echo when moving up and down the AppleTV menu tree. If you have the "sound effects" settings in the AppleTV turned on, normally you get a soft "donk" every time you move or select an item. I've noticed an echo to that sound if the AppleTV is playing through the D100. Not so if it is playing through any other DAC I've tried. It may not be related to what you are hearing, but it does make me think there's some type of feedback loop that is happening for some strange reason.

The D100 is certainly not perfect. There's the problem you and I are having. Then there's a lack of a mute function on its remote. The lack of variable brightness on its too bright display, or an easy way to just turn it off. No AES/EBU in. And the drivers for a win based system leave a little to be desired. No DSD. No ability to up sample.

But, it performs well enough and looks good. It's a much better sounding DAC, in my opinion, than the one they stuck in the MAC6700. When I compared the two, I realized my thought of getting the MAC6700 as a one-box solution to my current setup was not going to happen.

Pider
11-16-2014, 01:52 PM
In the meantime I am trying to get in as much listening time as I can before I hand the unit back to its owner next week. :sigh:

Life is tough.

Just think of it as a slight lick of Mc goodness. A tiny taste of life's pleasure. A tease for the ears. Things to come. (Not sure what that will conjure up in peoples' minds, but hey, I'm only on my first cup of tea.)

Yamaki
11-16-2014, 02:00 PM
^^^^ hahahaha ^^^^ Yeah, life is tough.

I wonder if Hector's "chirp" is a latent chime or sound coming from the computer that can be turned off.

Your solution may be a MA7000 or MA8000, John. :D

Pider
11-16-2014, 02:09 PM
Your solution may be a MA7000 or MA8000, John. :D

Maybe. I'm still hoping a MC302 will show up on AA for me. That would be fine coupled to the D100.

Pider
11-16-2014, 02:22 PM
The more I think about this, the more fried I get.

McIntosh, if you are going to list the D100 as a digital preamp, put all the functions of a preamp on it! Including the friggin ability to MUTE it remotely. I think that capability was first introduced by Marconi at the turn of the century.

Sheesh. I'm need more tea.

Yamaki
11-16-2014, 02:37 PM
Maybe. I'm still hoping a MC302 will show up on AA for me. That would be fine coupled to the D100.

Want me to find you one? :D

The more I think about this, the more fried I get.

McIntosh, if you are going to list the D100 as a digital preamp, put all the functions of a preamp on it! Including the friggin ability to MUTE it remotely. I think that capability was first introduced by Marconi at the turn of the century.

Sheesh. I'm need more tea.

Take a chill pill too. :thumbsup: :lmao:

Pider
11-16-2014, 03:43 PM
Want me to find you one? :D

Not quite yet. I'm going to take a long look at the Devialet product. This has me intrigued.

Yamaki
11-16-2014, 04:10 PM
McIntosh D100 - Part Two

This DAC kept me up way past my bedtime last night as I couldn’t force myself to turn off the music and head to bed. After another long listening session last night and some critical listening this morning, more of the D100’s character has made itself known.

McIntosh is known for not compromising design to expand their products into the lower priced "mid-fi" markets. The McIntosh faithful can count on a consistent design philosophy, adherence to detail and engineering excellence. Say what you will about some of the early digital music servers, McIntosh has not wavered from their quality ideals and if something doesn’t work they fix it.

The same can be said of the D100. In addition to the aforementioned electronics and material choices, McIntosh decided to employ a highly regarded DAC chipset, the ESS ES9018 Sabre32 Reference 32-bit 8-channel audio DAC, a new adoption of an established product in McIntosh’s product line.

The chipset is capable of a DNR up to 135 dB in mono, 133 dB in stereo and 129 dB in full 8-channel operation at an impressive THD of -120 dB. No wonder it sounds so dark in between tracks. The DAC’s electronic black hole has a firm grip on the electrons and is letting nothing escape from it that isn’t allowed to come forward.

This does not mean it “dampens” or “rolls off” any frequencies produced by your media. Nothing could be farther from the truth. The D100 allows each and every instrument, voice and nuance of the music a path to flow through as separate and distinct, revealing the construction of each and every piece of the music.

The higher frequency tones will hover endlessly, without harshness, decaying to their absolute end and in the next moment, a new series of notes reveal themselves in a seamless blend of musicality, frequency and tone, a river of endless sound that envelopes the listener.

When the dynamics increase, the slam and penetration of each note is clearly heard – and felt depending on your volume choice at the time – with no distortion, artifacts or interference to detract from the music’s intent. The mid-range is clear, defined and wide with more than sufficient space between the instruments which, if you close your eyes, you can see where every performer is while playing the piece.

The bass is tight, controlled and responsive. I must say the bass lines that must be sustained to support the music are ever present, without intrusion or that hollow boom some folks mistake for bass.

Many would liken the McIntosh sound as “warm” or “tubey” and we can equate that with the firm’s preponderance to clearly reproduce the mid-ranges, which of course the human ear is best tuned to hear.

But be warned. There is no “warm” or “tubey” attributes to be found in the D100. This is faithful tonal reproduction in its truest form with the music delivered to your ear as the artist intended. Not harsh, not rolled off, not artificially enhanced in any way; the D100 simply delivers.

In closing I would like to thank John for his generous loan and the opportunity to preview the gear in my own system. I would also like to thank all of you for taking the time to read my ramblings regarding the D100. It has proven to be a distinct pleasure on my part.

Yamaki
11-16-2014, 04:12 PM
Not quite yet. I'm going to take a long look at the Devialet product. This has me intrigued.

hmmm...interesting divergence, John. :scratch2:

EfeTe
11-16-2014, 05:28 PM
Wow part II was even better than part one. Brilliant stuff, thanks Michael!

Hector -no chirping in my unit either. Perhaps in your case it's all been alcoholing sound deception or SDLUIG&T (sonic deception whilst listening under the influence of gin and tonic)? ;)

scapa
11-16-2014, 06:52 PM
Great writeup -- thanks for taking the time to post in such detail.

I love my D100, which is paired with an MC275 VI. The chirping between tracks is annoying, however. I think it's the sound of the unit "locking on" to the digital signal, but why it doesn't stay locked is confusing. FWIW, my old NAD M51 did it to. And don't get me started on the Schiit Audio DACS...

best,

s

thughes
11-16-2014, 07:48 PM
it chirps between tracts. It's a subtle noise at low to medium volume levels, but can become quite apparent at louder ones

... shades of the MCD201. Some beeped; some didn't. I got rid of mine for that reason.

thughes
11-16-2014, 07:49 PM
I imagine I will eventually buy the D100 to extend the life of my C45 which I don't want to get rid of. Other Mc purchases come first.

JBT
11-16-2014, 08:11 PM
Very nice review. I run my D100 through a C2200 and just use it as a DAC.

System, MC275V1, C2200, D100, Sonos and Dynaudio Focus 160 speakers. Great sound!!

I did find that it takes about 100 hours before the D100 really opens up . Broke out my old trusty MC252 and used the D100 as preamp DAC hooked up Sonos and let it play night and day.

tutomac
11-16-2014, 09:04 PM
Wow part II was even better than part one. Brilliant stuff, thanks Michael!

Hector -no chirping in my unit either. Perhaps in your case it's all been alcoholing sound deception or SDLUIG&T (sonic deception whilst listening under the influence of gin and tonic)? ;)

Fernando, you crack me up:lmao:
Today I work, but tomorrow I will swap the units and "see" what I hear.
Again, I am used to it and have taken it as normal digital behavior, so even if I don't get rid of it, all is well.

Salud!

Siglo vi
11-17-2014, 10:27 PM
I also have this chirping noise between tracks. I'm running a logitech transporter into the D100 via coax. It also occasionally displays 16bit FLAC files as 24bit, strangely enough. I emailed McIntosh about this issue and this was their reply:

D100 is a very purist design. It will reproduce any pops or clicks that appear in the digital data stream so this is normal. Using a properly configured computer and other digital sources will result in perfect noise free playback with D100. If you have glitches in the digital source data stream these may cause noise with D100.

Pider
11-18-2014, 12:45 AM
...I run my D100 through a C2200 and just use it as a DAC. System, MC275V1, C2200, D100, Sonos and Dynaudio Focus 160 speakers. Great sound!!

Now THAT'S a nice system! Simple, but I bet incredible luscious sound. Good work!

crwilli
11-18-2014, 08:34 AM
FWIW - I use my D100 as a DAC with a C2300 and various sources (optical, RCA and USB) but have never heard any chirping. With vintage very hard to repair speakers, I would run it down if I did.

NZ421291
11-18-2014, 06:21 PM
I also have this chirping noise between tracks. I'm running a logitech transporter into the D100 via coax. It also occasionally displays 16bit FLAC files as 24bit, strangely enough. I emailed McIntosh about this issue and this was their reply:

D100 is a very purist design. It will reproduce any pops or clicks that appear in the digital data stream so this is normal. Using a properly configured computer and other digital sources will result in perfect noise free playback with D100. If you have glitches in the digital source data stream these may cause noise with D100.

I to run a Logitech Transporter & looking to use the D100 as a DAC.:thumbsup:

Siglo vi
11-18-2014, 07:31 PM
I to run a Logitech Transporter & looking to use the D100 as a DAC.:thumbsup:

It's actually more of a scratchy sound than a chirp. Kind of annoying but I'm using all mac in this particular system and I am too used to the squeezebox interface/multi room feature to change over. But yeah, using the transporter with bel canto, ayre, dcs, berkeley DAC's I've never had any of these noises happen... I guess the D100 is the "purest" DAC on the planet... :confused:

eedork
11-20-2014, 08:27 PM
I'm running a logitech transporter into the D100 via coax. It also occasionally displays 16bit FLAC files as 24bit, strangely enough.

I run squeezelite on Linux server connected to the D100 and have experienced this as well. It is a function of the software (digital) volume of your squeezebox. If you turn the volume down to ~ 85%, you will see the bit length on the D100 switch from 16 to 24.

Once upon time I could have explained why this is done, but those days passed long ago. I believe it is an optimization to allow the digital volume control to work over a wider range while still providing lossless playback (the squeezebox essentially pads the signal with 8 extra bits of data). Someone here with more current knowledge can probably explain it in detail.

-Matt

-E-
11-20-2014, 08:52 PM

It should. Great pieces of gear they make.

tutomac
11-20-2014, 09:08 PM
Well, for those that may still be interested:

I swapped my D100's yesterday. The result is the same. There is still that little chirp between tracks, which tells me it has to come from: Mac Mini, JRiver, or the Time Capsule.
Be that as it may, I do not have the patience, nor the knowledge, to sort this thing out. As it does not bother me that much, and it only happens between tracks, I am going to leave it alone.
Maybe some day a fellow aficionado will be more gracious than me, and if faced with the same issue, will post his solution here:scratch2:

Happy Listening:music:

JBT
11-20-2014, 10:33 PM
Now THAT'S a nice system! Simple, but I bet incredible luscious sound. Good work!

It is an amazing system!!!

beowulf
11-21-2014, 02:05 AM
Well, for those that may still be interested:

I swapped my D100's yesterday. The result is the same. There is still that little chirp between tracks, which tells me it has to come from: Mac Mini, JRiver, or the Time Capsule.
Be that as it may, I do not have the patience, nor the knowledge, to sort this thing out. As it does not bother me that much, and it only happens between tracks, I am going to leave it alone.
Maybe some day a fellow aficionado will be more gracious than me, and if faced with the same issue, will post his solution here:scratch2:

Happy Listening:music:

I'm running the D100 without any issues, never heard a chirp since I installed it in my system a couple of months ago. I'm using it with an Asus VivoPC with Windows 8.1 and JRiver MC 20, then I have my music stored on a WD My Cloud NAS and read files over my network.

In Windows Control Panel I use the ASIO driver and set the default sound driver to McIntosh USB in Windows Control Panel. Then in the McIntosh USB properties I set the sample rate and bit depth to 32/192.

In JRiver under Playback Options, I select the McIntosh ASIO driver there as well.

I'm not sure if this helps to know the Windows side of the setup, but perhaps there are a couple settings you can check that would be similar?

EfeTe
11-21-2014, 05:39 AM
Such a strange outcome Hector -if it happens with both D100's then clearly there's something wrong. I cannot however grasp how the chirping does not appear on mine or in some of our fellow friends's here :(

No chirping here using either my Windows server (desktop PC) or my IOS (MacBook, iPad I, iPad Mini) devices. Foobar (Asio) on the former, Audirvana + on the Mac same status quo.

xdrixn
11-21-2014, 11:05 AM
No chirping here. I have my Sonos going into the d100 via optical but I've also tried a optical and the usb with my Synology.

If I may digress for a moment. About the headphone amp aspect, has anyone tried the Audeze lcd-2 with it? I upgraded from the sennheiser hd600s around the same time and I've only heard the Audeze's with my d100. I hope I'm missing something?

cheers

scapa
11-21-2014, 11:33 AM
For me the chirping is SB Touch-only thus far, though I'll check the USB connection later today. Since the SBT can be wonky with so many DACs and since I'm using the EDO kernel I'm not too worried. Otherwise the D100 is a stellar performer in my system and I am VERY pleased with it overall (lack of "mute" button on remote notwithstanding!).

best,

s

scapa
11-21-2014, 11:36 AM
No chirping here. I have my Sonos going into the d100 via optical but I've also tried a optical and the usb with my Synology.

If I may digress for a moment. About the headphone amp aspect, has anyone tried the Audeze lcd-2 with it? I upgraded from the sennheiser hd600s around the same time and I've only heard the Audeze's with my d100. I hope I'm missing something?

cheers

I've owned the LCD-2 but not with the D100. From memory they have a low Z (50?) and I suspect the D100 HP out prefers higher-Z loads. It sounds terrific with my HD800s and Beyer T90 but less so with my AT W3000ANVs, which are also around 50 ohms. The LCDs are great phones but I found them way too heavy -- like strapping speakers to my noggin.

best,

s

tutomac
11-21-2014, 06:22 PM
All right, y'all, here's a video i took to try to capture what I am listening to in between tracks. I apologize for the horrible quality (iPhone camera) and for the ambient noise in the background. This is after all our family room and people around here have gone on about their business despite me :tears: (my son is actually playing Minecraft at the computer nearby)

I fast forwarded a few songs (I think three) to their respective ends where you can hear the noice in between tracts (or so I hope) You know, it sounds like crickets!

http://youtu.be/SR4DYqS8mbg

Cheers!

Yamaki
11-21-2014, 07:24 PM
Is your JRiver running through a Windows client, Hector?

tutomac
11-21-2014, 07:27 PM
Michael my JRiver is Mac OS. I'm using MC19. Any ideas?

Cheers!

Yamaki
11-21-2014, 07:33 PM
Let me do a bit more reading on it. I will advise if I see anything that stands out to me. If not, my next suspect in "The Mystery of the Phantom Chirp" may be your HD.

Yamaki
11-21-2014, 07:37 PM
Wiki:

Various software, firmware and hardware components may add up a substantial delay associated with starting playback of a track. If not accounted for, the listener is left waiting in silence as the player fetches the next file (see harddisk access time), updates metadata, decodes the whole first block, before having any data to feed the hardware buffer. The gap can be as much as half a second or more — very noticeable in "continuous" music such as certain classical or dance genres. In some cases, the hardware is even reset between tracks, creating a very short "click".

You may want to try narrowing the delay between tracks in JRiver, Hector.

tutomac
11-21-2014, 07:59 PM
I will try that again, thanks. The first time i thought I set it where there was no gap between songs,but Im not very good with computer stuff and may not have done the right thing.

You may have mentioned it already, but do YOU use JRiver? Maybe you can share your setting with me?

In the meantime, Im gonna have a few G & T's and ponder while at dinner. :D

Cheers!

Yamaki
11-21-2014, 08:50 PM
I don't use it much, anymore, since I implemented the SimAudio streamer, which has it's own iPad based control ap.

However, in reading the link below it does give some setup tips that might help.

Audio Troubleshooting Guide - JRiverWiki (http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Audio_Troubleshooting_Guide)

Pider
11-23-2014, 02:18 PM
I don't use it much, anymore, since I implemented the SimAudio streamer, which has it's own iPad based control ap. However, in reading the link below it does give some setup tips that might help. Audio Troubleshooting Guide - JRiverWiki (http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Audio_Troubleshooting_Guide)

I finally was able to get the "chirp" to happen. It took me some playing around, but it is real and seems to be caused by a delay between when the cache is being loaded and the track starts. You'll need to play with the settings to allow more time for cache loading, or don't load to memory at all.

Hector, if you can send me a few screen shot of your JRiver settings, I might be able to both reproduce your problem and help you solve it.

tutomac
11-23-2014, 04:21 PM
I finally was able to get the "chirp" to happen. It took me some playing around, but it is real and seems to be caused by a delay between when the cache is being loaded and the track starts. You'll need to play with the settings to allow more time for cache loading, or don't load to memory at all.

Hector, if you can send me a few screen shot of your JRiver settings, I might be able to both reproduce your problem and help you solve it.

Deal, I will be back home early evening, and will PM you then. Thanks a lot!

EfeTe
11-24-2014, 05:21 PM
Eureka guys!

NZ421291
11-30-2014, 06:25 PM
Ok, after following this thread, and the fact that my Retailer lowered the price of his demo unit by a significant amount, I purchased the D100 on Saturday to use as a DAC only for my Logitech Transporter.

90% of my listening is via streaming & 10% via my turntable- so up-dating the DAC was become necessary since I refurbished my Oracle (post to come) and the gap between the 2 formats had grown.

The D100 has lifted the performance of the Transporter to a new high, & closes the gap considerably between the 2 formats- yes, my Oracle is still better than the streamer as is my Marantz SA15S1 - but its close enough that the convenience of streaming (I love using the dynamic Playlist feature) music is again satisfying.

No 'chirps' or other noise issues, the D100 is dead quiet in my system.

The installation of the D100 is the largest leap in performance in my system since I rolled in Mullards into my C2300 on Dan's recommendation.

Yamaki
11-30-2014, 06:45 PM
Congratulations on the acquisition!

EfeTe
11-30-2014, 10:29 PM
Whole rack looks fantastic, congrats!

Stahle
12-01-2014, 03:01 PM
Deal, I will be back home early evening, and will PM you then. Thanks a lot!

Did you guys fix the chirp issue? If so, can you report on what the problem was?

Pider
12-01-2014, 03:18 PM
Did you guys fix the chirp issue? If so, can you report on what the problem was?

Thanks for the reminder! Got busy on Holiday and work. Will get to it.

kevzep
12-01-2014, 05:49 PM
Ok, after following this thread, and the fact that my Retailer lowered the price of his demo unit by a significant amount, I purchased the D100 on Saturday to use as a DAC only for my Logitech Transporter.

90% of my listening is via streaming & 10% via my turntable- so up-dating the DAC was become necessary since I refurbished my Oracle (post to come) and the gap between the 2 formats had grown.

The D100 has lifted the performance of the Transporter to a new high, & closes the gap considerably between the 2 formats- yes, my Oracle is still better than the streamer as is my Marantz SA15S1 - but its close enough that the convenience of streaming (I love using the dynamic Playlist feature) music is again satisfying.

The installation of the D100 is the largest leap in performance in my system since I rolled in Mullards into my C2300 on Dan's recommendation.

Great stuff, at some point I think I would like to get a C500 and add a D100 as the DAC, I would like to know if those guys are actually an authorised McIntosh dealer, there seems to be some conflicting opinions on this as I found out when I bought the MC452 from them, virtually no stock, unable to order anything in?? Little bit strange.....
Maybe they have resolved it as I noticed they have now taken the prices off their web site......I thought it was weird they had the prices listed......

Siglo vi
12-04-2014, 06:32 PM

Nice! Are you using coaxial between the transporter and d100? What brand/model cable? Thanks.

NZ421291
12-04-2014, 10:16 PM
Yes, coaxial between the Transporter & the D100- started with a spare Nordost Red Dawn (original ribbon type) RCA interconnect then purchased Nordost Blue Heaven LS Digital Cable. (All cabling in my system is Nordost).

The Blue Heaven LS Digital cable produced a more detailed presentation than the Red Dawn standard Interconnect. IMHO the Blue Heaven LS Digital Cable was a worthwhile up-grade.

Nordost Heimdall RCA Cable (with WBT RCA Plugs) used between the D100 & the C2300 pre-amp.

Pider
12-22-2014, 01:05 AM
Thanks for the reminder! Got busy on Holiday and work. Will get to it.

Haven't made much progress on the chirping, other than I went from dead silence to chirping all the time, myself. I think when I was trying to replicate the problem I somehow infected myself.

Word of warning. The chirping is real. I did not have it before, and now I do. Irritating to say the least. I'm pretty sure I know what the culprit is, so stay tuned.

Masterlu
12-22-2014, 01:16 AM
Haven't made much progress on the chirping, other than I went from dead silence to chirping all the time, myself. I think when I was trying to replicate the problem I somehow infected myself.

Word of warning. The chirping is real. I did not have it before, and now I do. Irritating to say the least. I'm pretty sure I know what the culprit is, so stay tuned.

http://www.nag.co.za/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/upgrade-350x250.jpg

:D

Pider
12-22-2014, 02:03 AM
:D

Absolutely! Check is on its way!

Pider
12-22-2014, 02:19 AM
Ok. Chirping.

Not JRiver's fault. It is the McIntosh driver, at least for Windows. You can test this by unloading JRiver. Go to the window Sounds app and test your speakers. You should hear the chirp. No JRiver loaded, only the Mc drivers.

The kludged fix for this is found in JRiver's Tool => Option. Under the section called "Track Changes" check off the box for "Do not play silence...." This will keep the buffer from emptying. Gone are the chirps.

I'm guessing that each time the D100 drivers sense an empty buffer, it sends some type of message to the unit. You'll see the indicators go to dots on the D100 display. When that happens, chirp. If you check off that little box, then the buffers don't empty and the D100 has no chance to "shut off" if you will, and thus no chirping.

When you come to the end of an album or your playlist, the buffers empty and chirp.

I'm going to play around some more, but I do not think this has anything to do with JRiver.

BowiePop
12-22-2014, 06:04 AM
Hi Mc aficionados,

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/640x480q90/540/rybM7E.jpg (https://imageshack.com/i/f0rybM7Ej)

I had a demo of the D100 few days ago with my retailer. I compared it with the MCD550 (we used a C2300, two MC2301 and Cabasse Adriatis speakers, the white one on the right).

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/640x480q90/904/bp1TPK.jpg (https://imageshack.com/i/p4bp1TPKj)

I found that the precision and the dynamic of D100 is better than the MCD550, i also compare it with a MA7900 and the D100 seemed to be superior too.

A good value on my list choice!

Eric

BuffaloBill
12-22-2014, 10:46 AM
The design of the D100 is similar to that of the MCD1100.

Yamaki
12-22-2014, 01:40 PM
Yes, if you remove some of the buttons, the CD/SACD slot and the "3D" fascia architecture it does look like a MCD1100. :D

Pider
12-22-2014, 01:52 PM
Hi Mc aficionados,

[/URL]

I had a demo of the D100 few days ago with my retailer. I compared it with the MCD550 (we used a C2300, two MC2301 and Cabasse Adriatis speakers, the white one on the right).

[URL="https://imageshack.com/i/p4bp1TPKj"] (https://imageshack.com/i/f0rybM7Ej)

I found that the precision and the dynamic of D100 is better than the MCD550, i also compare it with a MA7900 and the D100 seemed to be superior too.

A good value on my list choice!

Eric

Yamaki (Michael) knows more about this than I do, so maybe he will chime in, but this has to do with the brand of DAC chip.

You apparently, like me, do not prefer the Burr-Brown over the ESS DAC. I had the same experience when listening to a MAC6700. After listening to a few tracks, I asked if I could listen to the same tracks using the D100 as the input to the same MAC6700. Bingo. The difference was obvious. A veil had lifted. I concluded that I'd never listen to the DAC inside the unit, so I passed on it. I do have the D100, and am using it as a preamp. I do not like it in that role; I think it best when it's used as a DAC only. However, I am now very careful about knowing what DAC chip is in the unit being listened to. It does make a difference. I believe there are "house" sounds at the chip level, too.

Yamaki
12-22-2014, 02:19 PM
As Pider (John) stated, for some of us the ESS Sabre chips sound better than the Burr Brown chipsets used in other products, even within the McIntosh line. I was very happy to read that McIntosh used the ESS ES9018 Sabre Reference 32-bit chipset.

I've tried DAC's and other integrated units with various chipsets and find I prefer the ESS units. My Parasound P5 pre-amp in another system has the Burr-Brown PCM1798 chipset which I don't use at all as it's too "bright" or "forward" and the upper ranges sound terrible to my ear. I do use a Musical Fidelity M1DAC in that system, which utilizes the Burr-Brown DSD1796 chipset which sounds a bit less harsh than the PCM1798 but still not optimal for my tastes.

I hope to swap in my Yulong D18 DAC into that system and acquire a D100 for my main system.

A DAC has a LOT to do with how the music sounds to you. Along with everything else we consider when making an audio purchase decision, it's worth paying attention to the specification of an internal or external DAC chipset.

EfeTe
12-23-2014, 12:05 AM
Another fan of the Sabre 32 over the B-B here.

jdandy
12-23-2014, 12:26 AM
Yes, if you remove some of the buttons, the CD/SACD slot and the "3D" fascia architecture it does look like a MCD1100. :D

Micheal.......Your right, all of that and use a different DAC than the MCD1100, along with a smaller power supply and much simpler preamp section. Yes sir, damn near just like an MCD1100. :laughin:

Yamaki
12-23-2014, 09:22 AM
:lmao:

BuffaloBill
12-23-2014, 09:25 AM
I hope to swap in my Yulong D18 DAC into that system and acquire a D100 for my main system.

Why not spend more and get the MCD1100, you get more buttons, CD/SACD slot, and "3D" fascia. :D

Yamaki
12-23-2014, 04:18 PM
hahahaha...well, I must say it does have presence. I already have a nice transport I can use if I ever plug a CD into a machine though.

I've already listened to a D100 and it suits me to a "T" with the ESS chipset in it <Edit by Idiot> :D. Just a personal preference I've developed based on what I hear vs. what others hear.

BuffaloBill
12-23-2014, 04:52 PM
I believe you will be very happy with the D100, especially since you already have a CD transport that you are happy with. It has the highly respected ESS 8-channel 32-bit 192kHZ DAC used in stereo quad balanced mode for uncompromising sound reproduction.

jdandy
12-23-2014, 06:03 PM
I've already listened to a D100 and it suits me to a "T" with the ESS chipset in it vs. the Burr Brown found in the MCD1100.

Michael.......I don't know where you got the idea that the McIntosh MCD1100 has a Burr-Brown DAC. That is not true.

For your reference, the McIntosh MCD1100 uses the ESS Sabre 32 Reference ES9018S 64 pin dual quad DAC. This is a photo of the DAC in my MCD1100.

MCD1100 DAC
https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8654/15902926648_20236bd2f4_b.jpg

The McIntosh D100 uses the ESS Sabre 32 Ultra ES9016S 48 pin DAC. This is a photo of the DAC in the D100.

D100 DAC
https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7552/16088450931_d5a9b57d50_o.jpg

Yamaki
12-23-2014, 07:12 PM
hmm...well, my research failed me again. I stand corrected!

Thanks for that, Dan.

MORTIS
12-24-2014, 02:53 PM
I don't care what chip is in it. It's everything else that Mac has done within the D100 which makes it sound fantastic in my system.

jdandy
12-24-2014, 03:03 PM
I don't care what chip is in it. It's everything else that Mac has done within the D100 which makes it sound fantastic in my system.

Marty.......Glad to know you are enjoying your McIntosh gear, including the D100. Lots of people have plenty of good things to say about it.

MORTIS
12-24-2014, 05:59 PM
Marty.......Glad to know you are enjoying your McIntosh gear, including the D100. Lots of people have plenty of good things to say about it.

Thanks Dan. And more so recently after I added a sub to my full range KEFs. After dialing in the sub I was able to reduce much of the workload of lower frequencies from the KEF bass drivers which also normally handle some of the lower mids. The precision of the SVS sub along with a more efficient use of the KEF mid frequencies has resulted in an utterly glorious total presentation of all my music.

There's now a wonderfully balanced, smooth, and yet very lively range from 20 hz on up to as high as these old ears can hear. The D100 is certainly giving everything I could want my system to draw from it.

Don't ya just love when you make a change and the results leave you feeling 'Oh wOw....!' :D

jdandy
12-24-2014, 07:54 PM
Don't ya just love when you make a change and the results leave you feeling 'Oh wOw....!' :D

Marty.......Sounds to me like you have your system dialed in perfectly. The implementation of your subwoofer is a great way to reduce intermodulation distortion in the mid-bass region by moving the lowest octave to a dedicated woofer. I did the same thing with my SF Guarneri Memento speakers using a Bryston 10B Sub active crossover and a pair of McIntosh XLS112 powered subwoofers. The results were fabulous.

Have a Merry Christmas and lots of great listening in the New Year.

MORTIS
12-24-2014, 08:19 PM
Marty.......Have a Merry Christmas and lots of great listening in the New Year.

Thank you Dan, and you as well have a Merry Christmas and a wonderful New Year!

EfeTe
02-15-2015, 07:17 PM
Guys,

So I take it, if you had the choice of, say, a:

-MA7900 everything into one
v.
-power amp (say MC152) + D100

you'd choose the latter because of the better DAC/better implementation of it?

Cheers
Fernando

Xcalibur255
02-23-2015, 07:38 PM
I'm glad I found this thread. I wasn't sure if others were hearing this chirping sound.

From what I can tell and from McIntosh has told me the sound is caused a type of soft muting relay that engages automatically whenever silence is detected. For my unit I get chirping during moments of silence on any input or type of source. It's especially noticeable while watching a movie and there is no background music in the scene. Whenever someone on screen starts or stops talking..... *chirp*.... often multiple times within a few seconds. It's pretty irritating at times.

For pure music use it's not much of a problem, just a chirp when you pause or switch tracks but it's not disruptive to the listening experience. For someone like me who has mixed usage including movies and games the noise shows up a lot more often and is kind of obnoxious. I'm surprised McIntosh would use a design like this.

It's a shame because I like the sound of the D100, it was pretty much exactly what I was hoping for from a performance standpoint and has good synergy with the rest of my setup. The chirping is too loud and too often to ignore though and sort of ruins the experience for non-music use.

Has anybody else heard their unit make this chirping rapidly for a few seconds? Mine does this while watching movies and the scene transitions. It sounds like a squealing wheel bearing when it does this. :(

scapa
02-24-2015, 11:50 AM
^^^

According to Mac, all D100s exhibit this behaviour -- a function of reed relays in the headphone muting circuit. I haven't used mine much with anything but music but it can be annoying when playing classical (chirps between movements). The sound comes from the unit itself, so you can always put a damping plate on top and contain it that way. I experimented with a pillow and got good, if not particularly decorative, results.

good luck,

s

Yamaki
02-24-2015, 02:52 PM
Take a look at Post #91 in this thread if you are using the Windows drivers for the D100.

Xcalibur255
02-24-2015, 04:10 PM
^^^

According to Mac, all D100s exhibit this behaviour -- a function of reed relays in the headphone muting circuit. I haven't used mine much with anything but music but it can be annoying when playing classical (chirps between movements). The sound comes from the unit itself, so you can always put a damping plate on top and contain it that way. I experimented with a pillow and got good, if not particularly decorative, results.

good luck,

s

Thanks, this is what I thought but it's good to hear it confirmed. It took a couple of days after I got my D100 to realize the sound was coming from the unit and not the speakers. I was afraid to put anything on top to muffle it because it might induce head build up inside the unit.

Maybe a 1" acoustic panel laid across the top would do the trick? Assuming its safe to permanently block the top vents.

Masterlu
02-24-2015, 04:31 PM
Xcalibur255... Welcome to AA! :wave:

Xcalibur255
02-24-2015, 06:03 PM
Xcalibur255... Welcome to AA! :wave:

Thanks. :)

scapa
02-24-2015, 08:04 PM
Thanks, this is what I thought but it's good to hear it confirmed. It took a couple of days after I got my D100 to realize the sound was coming from the unit and not the speakers. I was afraid to put anything on top to muffle it because it might induce head build up inside the unit.

Maybe a 1" acoustic panel laid across the top would do the trick? Assuming its safe to permanently block the top vents.

You can ask Chuck or Ron at Mac, but my correspondence indicates that the unit isn't likely to overheat. The relays are at the rear right of the unit, so it's possible that damping there (while leaving over areas free to vent) may work. I'll try this out tomorrow and report back.

I love mine enough not to move on at this point -- and as a former Schiit Bifrost owner, I'm well used to noisy DAC relays.

best,

s

JBT
02-24-2015, 08:37 PM
I've never had any chirping on my D100!!

NZ421291
02-24-2015, 10:12 PM
I've never had any chirping on my D100!!

No chirping from mine either!

My D100 just gets better everyday- (In my system for about 6 weeks).

Like all Digital thingy's- sounds better after being 'on' all day as well (I leave my Rig on 24hrs from Friday Morning till Sunday night)

crwilli
02-24-2015, 10:36 PM
Mine makes no noises

Xcalibur255
02-25-2015, 03:17 PM
Perhaps some reed relays are noisy and others are not somehow. If so I wish I hadn't lost the lottery. My own unit chirps loudly enough for it to be highly distracting in some situations and is putting a good dent in my ability to enjoy the system. It's not a sound one has to listen for, it can be heard plainly anywhere in the room. Only while using headphones is it not an issue thanks to the isolation.

Speaking of. I've been pleasantly surprised by the headphone output the couple of times I have used it. I wouldn't say it's entirely on par with the main output in terms of resolution, but somebody took care to make sure the tone and overall balance/presentation was consistent with the line output and it sounds pretty good overall. Definitely not an afterthought like most HP jacks are on this type of gear.

It doesn't like high Z loads as much as one might believe from the 47 ohm output impedance. I had to take the volume to 80% just to get a comfortable listening level on my 600 ohm Beyer DT880s while watching a late night movie. It doesn't sound thin or lacking in drive so I don't think the output stage is running out of voltage, it just doesn't have any extra gain to spare. I could go right to 100% volume and it still wasn't uncomfortably loud. 600 ohms is a very high Z load so this can probably be taken as a worst case scenario.

BuffaloBill
02-25-2015, 10:32 PM
Has anybody else heard their unit make this chirping rapidly for a few seconds? Mine does this while watching movies and the scene transitions. It sounds like a squealing wheel bearing when it does this. :(

I purchased a D100 when it first came out. I use it for 2-channel music listening only. It is dead silent, no chirping.

Stahle
02-26-2015, 02:21 PM
I want to buy a D100 but have stayed away after so many people have reported chirping from the unit. I'm not willing to gamble $2,600.00 on something that may or may not make noise. I already gambled twice with the MDA700 and lost both times after receiving units that had significant transformer hum. On one, a local service center replaced the transformer with a new one from McIntosh and it ended up being louder than what was in it to begin with. Before you ask about possible power issues at my house, the hum didn't only occur there, the transformers also hummed at the service center as well as the store I purchased the MDA700's from.

An alternative I have considered is an MCD500, but even used, they cost significantly more than a D100 and on top of that, I don't use cd's anymore except for when I download them to my computer. For now, I'll stick with my Simaudio DAC that doesn't hum or chirp until the issues with the McIntosh DAC's are resolved.

ferokills
02-26-2015, 02:56 PM
A very nice review Michael..
After trying several other options,.the D100 is still on my list if another item doesn't pan out for me.
http://lovesongbaby.cf/79/o.png

Yamaki
02-26-2015, 06:44 PM
I've never had one chirping issue with mine. I've used it in two different configurations:

1. Server ===Ethernet===> Streamer ===XLR===> D100

2. Server ===USB===> D100

I like the more direct path, item 2, much better.

The server is Windows based, using WHS 2011, and is also a UPnP client when needed.

Xcalibur255
02-26-2015, 07:42 PM
Stahle if you are out of warranty or willing to risk it then you might be able to quell that transformer hum by potting the transformer. Most manufacturers bolt them directly to the chassis so any vibration will end up causing resonance somewhere.

Stahle
02-26-2015, 08:55 PM
I didn't keep either of the MDA700's because of the hum and was able to return them to the seller. I thought about potting the transformer similarly to the transformer pot of an MR7084 which has a similar chassis but I didn't want to modify the unit at that time. It's unfortunate because the improvement to my system that the MDA700 gave was unbelievable but the hum drove me nuts.

tutomac
03-11-2015, 01:24 PM
I've never had one chirping issue with mine. I've used it in two different configurations:

1. Server ===Ethernet===> Streamer ===XLR===> D100

2. Server ===USB===> D100

I like the more direct path, item 2, much better.

The server is Windows based, using WHS 2011, and is also a UPnP client when needed.

Okay, guys, I have it figured out. The other day I was trying to walk back the sequence of events that led me to experience THE CHIRP. It then dawned on me the chirp coincided with me using the D100 as a pre-amp:yes: The other day I returned the D100 to its DAC ONLY duty, and voila! The chirp was gone.
Perhaps this is why some of you do not hear the chirp. I don't know the physics of it, but do know it is the pre-amp function that chirps in my set-up.

Maybe the other guys here that experience the chirp also use their D100 as a pre-amp:scratch2:

In any event, this is how my rig works, and I am happy to have reached a conclusion. Ever since, I have not heard the annoyance, and music is as enjoyable as ever:music:

Cheers!

Yamaki
03-11-2015, 03:30 PM
Good info, Hector!

MORTIS
03-11-2015, 08:40 PM
Okay, guys, I have it figured out. The other day I was trying to walk back the sequence of events that led me to experience THE CHIRP. It then dawned on me the chirp coincided with me using the D100 as a pre-amp:yes: The other day I returned the D100 to its DAC ONLY duty, and voila! The chirp was gone.
Perhaps this is why some of you do not hear the chirp. I don't know the physics of it, but do know it is the pre-amp function that chirps in my set-up.

Maybe the other guys here that experience the chirp also use their D100 as a pre-amp:scratch2:

In any event, this is how my rig works, and I am happy to have reached a conclusion. Ever since, I have not heard the annoyance, and music is as enjoyable as ever:music:

Cheers!

Hector: I don't know, it still seems to be a bit of a mystery what causes that chirp. For you, using the D100 as only a DAC has eliminated the chirp; I'm glad that solved it in your setup.
I only use it as a DAC from a transport playing lossless files from an iPod Touch, and when in my previous home while sitting out in the open atop my gear, I would hear a faint chirp in between track, but only if the displayed sampling frequency and bit depth momentarily went blank between tracks. My description of that chirp is rather like what a CDP makes when loading a CD, but very faint and brief, and emanates only from the D100 chassis itself.

In my current music room the D100 is snugly housed in a cabinet, and I can barely hear it and only if the room is dead quiet. Unless I'm focused on listening for it, I don't notice it at all anymore.

It does seem like the owners of the D100 are hearing the chirp under differing and unpredictable conditions. I'm thankful its not an issue for me but I feel for anyone who finds it intrusive to their listening pleasure.

Xcalibur255
03-25-2015, 12:31 PM

Cheers!

According to McIntosh the chirping component is used for muting purposes on the headphone circuit. Even when used as a pure DAC one can use the HP jack and so the function of the muting relays should be the same in either scenario. Maybe there is more to how the signal handling takes place, or perhaps the muting is only necessary when the pre-amp outputs are actively in use?

EfeTe
03-25-2015, 03:04 PM
You've lost me here Hector. I use the unit as a preamp too (besides as a DAC) and still no chirping!?

BuffaloBill
03-25-2015, 04:27 PM
If your D100 chirps then you have a defect either in the unit or in your system.