PDA

View Full Version : playing DSF via Vivaldi system

joeling
08-07-2014, 12:14 AM
So, I am starting to purchase more DSF files.

Is it better to bypass the upsampler & connect direct to the DAC ?

Or clone (is this even possible in DSD mode ?) the output ?

At the moment, without tweaking any filters (possible to tweak ?), I feel that DSF files lack energy & excitement compared to PCM of the same songs in general. Played samples from Norah Jone's first album compared to Cd rip & vinyl.

Any insights ?

Regards,
Joe Ling

PS : all digital files are upsampled to DSD via the upsampler (obviously I like DSD).

jfrech
08-07-2014, 10:12 PM
So, I am starting to purchase more DSF files.

Is it better to bypass the upsampler & connect direct to the DAC ?

Or clone (is this even possible in DSD mode ?) the output ?

At the moment, without tweaking any filters (possible to tweak ?), I feel that DSF files lack energy & excitement compared to PCM of the same songs in general. Played samples from Norah Jone's first album compared to Cd rip & vinyl.

Any insights ?

Regards,
Joe Ling

PS : all digital files are upsampled to DSD via the upsampler (obviously I like DSD).

I am about to experiment with this. Are you using your Aurender w20 to feed the Vivaldi or a pc/macbook via usb? On your Aurender, are you using the dual AES connection and synching with your clock?

I have the Vivaldi Transport now on order. I have a friend considering going your route with a Vivaldi Dac/Clock/maybe Upsampler and Aurender...

Speakers: Rockport Altair 2
Preamp: Robert Koda K10 Amp: Ayre MX-R
Cables: Transparent Opus MM2 Spkr, Opus MM2 & Trans Ref MM MM2 Intcnct.
Power Shunyata Triton/Typhon, Anaconda Zitron cords (x9)
Digital dCS Vivaldi DAC & dCS Scarlatti Clock & Transport with Transparent Reference XL Digital cables
Phono: Grand Prix Monaco TT, Schroder LT arm, Jan Allaerts MC2 Finish & Lyra Atlas, Nagra VPS/VFS
Racks: Grand Prix Audio Silverstone F1 (x2)

joeling
08-09-2014, 09:19 AM
Hi jfrech,

The Aurender is feeding the Vivaldi Upsampler via USB. If one has a Vivaldi transport, not enough sockets to accommodate the dual AES. The Vivaldi clock feeds the Aurender but using a separate bank of clock (i.e. Vivaldi stack on one set of clock & Aurender on the other) with auto switch depending on sampling frequency of source material (songs).

I upsample all inputs to DSD hence the above configuration.

The auto switching is accomplished using a generic USB to serial convertor + gender changer connecting the Aurender & clock unit. Aurender does sell a fancy metal clad convertor for this purpose too.

Regards,
Joe Ling

custodian
08-12-2014, 08:02 AM
I do find this dual AES protocol frustrating to use in that DCS do not provide enough inputs if you are using Aurender and disk transport. I use USB from Aurender but I'm not convinced sound quality as good as dual AES. FireWire had its problems but it was a convenient intelligent system.

joeling
08-13-2014, 10:50 PM
The W20 beckons :D:D:D

I do find this dual AES protocol frustrating to use in that DCS do not provide enough inputs if you are using Aurender and disk transport. I use USB from Aurender but I'm not convinced sound quality as good as dual AES. FireWire had its problems but it was a convenient intelligent system.

j3brow
08-14-2014, 12:12 AM
The W20 beckons :D:D:D

Or the X100. I don't see how or why the S10 is still in the line up. The X100 USB out is the same as the W20. The S10 USB out is not same quality as the X100/W20

JCR
08-25-2014, 05:21 PM
Hi jfrech,

The Aurender is feeding the Vivaldi Upsampler via USB. If one has a Vivaldi transport, not enough sockets to accommodate the dual AES. The Vivaldi clock feeds the Aurender but using a separate bank of clock (i.e. Vivaldi stack on one set of clock & Aurender on the other) with auto switch depending on sampling frequency of source material (songs).

I upsample all inputs to DSD hence the above configuration.

The auto switching is accomplished using a generic USB to serial convertor + gender changer connecting the Aurender & clock unit. Aurender does sell a fancy metal clad convertor for this purpose too.

Regards,
Joe Ling

Joe Ling, are you happy with the Aurender W20? How would you characterize its sound signature compared to other computer server or source? I am really tempted by the Aurender but buying it before trying it scares a me a bit. The fact it integrates so well with the dCS Vivaldi stack is really tempting. Also, are you happy with the Antelope master clock? How did it improve your dCS? I tried the Antelope last year and backed away from it because I was concern it was using a switching power supply and at the time I have no 12V linear power supply I could use with it. Are you using an external power supply for it?

Thanks for any insight you may have...Jacques

custodian
08-25-2014, 09:13 PM
If it helps, I have been an Aurender s10 user since launch. I have tried the w20 which did improve sound slightly.

Software works well and is frequently updated.

I had a small problem with the s10 and Aurender were able to diagnose using remote access from Korea: very impressive.

Comparisons I have used at home: Qsonix and Soolos, neither of which came close on sound quality.

My main listening is actually Squeezebox Transporter locked to master clock and used to stream online Flac files from Qubos in France (best quality streaming service I've used). I use Qubos to explore new music and if something really appeals, I look for 24 bit downloads if available and store on Aurender or if necessary, go old tech and buy the cd and download.

The Squeezebox has been tweaked with some internal improvements. I keep looking for a single alternative that would give me Aurender quality and combine storage, music library management as well as full internet streaming.

JCR
08-26-2014, 08:25 AM
Thanks custodian. While I like the performance of my current albeit complicated multi box computer sever, I look for a simpler solution all the time. I will likely try the W20 eventually. I would live it if it could improve on the current server I have/did. Will let you guys know if ever I get one...Jacques

joeling
08-27-2014, 08:32 AM
Sorry I have been out of the loop lately. I started with the S10 bought on recommendation from my dealer. It was but that great in the beginning. After 1 month, the unit started to catch my attention. I compared it with my Mach2music Mac Mini on Amarra & the Aurender just seemed more musical & more convincing for the want of a better description.

Anyway, pretty happy with the Aurender.

Also for the DSF files, I now realised that CD sound is actually edgy & rough around the edges while equivalent DSF is more rounded & has better density.

I am starting to enjoy the DSF files.

Regards,
Joe Ling

custodian
08-27-2014, 08:57 AM
Sorry I have been out of the loop lately. I started with the S10 bought on recommendation from my dealer. It was but that great in the beginning. After 1 month, the unit started to catch my attention. I compared it with my Mach2music Mac Mini on Amarra & the Aurender just seemed more musical & more convincing for the want of a better description. Anyway, pretty happy with the Aurender. Also for the DSF files, I now realised that CD sound is actually edgy & rough around the edges while equivalent DSF is more rounded & has better density. I am starting to enjoy the DSF files. Regards, Joe Ling

That's interesting. I'd had the opposite views with both DSD on the Scarlatti and DSF on the Vivaldi, finding both to have a softness. I realise this may simply be a system synergy effect.

It also might be affected by clocking improvements in the system reducing digital glare so making DXf sound better.

JCR
08-27-2014, 12:45 PM
That's interesting. I'd had the opposite views with both DSD on the Scarlatti and DSF on the Vivaldi, finding both to have a softness. I realise this may simply be a system synergy effect.

It also might be affected by clocking improvements in the system reducing digital glare so making DXf sound better.

I upsampler everything to DSD with my Vivaldi and in my system DSD upsampling sound smoother, but not less details. I did not experiment too much with DSD files yet while I have a tone of them but when I do listen to the I find them to be spot on without the "softness" of upsampling a 44k signal for example into DSD. Strange indeed...