PDA

View Full Version : DCS vs MBS vs Theta

dcvibe
07-09-2014, 10:17 PM
Just looking for advice on experience people have in comparing dacs from these companies. I know this is quite general but it is hard to find listening impressions between these premium brands. I am currently interested in MSB Signature Dac IV with (Diamond power base, galaxy clock, signature volume attenuator, USB 2 signature). Also interested in DCS (Vivaldi, Scarlatti, Paganini, and debussy). (DCS pieces with or without separate clocks). Also interested in Theta Gen VIII as I am a Theta CB4 owner which would require buying a digital output card. My music server is the Aurender X100L (which I just ordered but have not setup yet). Previous to that is my current Mac Book Pro and Audirvana. I am not interested in a transport and unless I go with Theta I plan to use the DAC as a pre-amp as well.

Any experiences would be appreciated. Just want to get a high end Dac discussion going but please compare at least two of the Dacs above? I am also debating getting a Berkeley alpha USB converter but don't want to buy that until I decide on a DAC as several of the above options have direct USB connections.

asiufy
07-10-2014, 09:11 AM
Hi,

I'm familiar with both dCS and MSB, having owned both. They are both top-notch, and I'd say it's hard to say one is "better" than the other, as they both present a different kind of sound.

dCS is more laid back, very detailed, but very laid back, the sound sits way back in the soundstage, and it's never too exciting. MSB is the opposite, it's very frontal, very lively, as if the musicians are playing very close to you, as opposed to being at a stage at the end of the room (like the dCS does).

With both brands, you're able to buy the set piece by piece. You can get power supplies and extra ports (or even upgrade the DAC modules) with the MSB, and you can also get just the dCS DAC (the best you can afford) and then get the ancillaries (clock, upsampler) at a later date, or even get one from a lower line.

AFAIK, you can interface the Aurender directly with either one, and sync their clocks, for optimum performance. Both systems can also be upgraded via software, which helps to future-proof them.

You really can't go wrong with either one of these top two brands!

alexandre

cmalak
07-10-2014, 11:51 AM
Hi, I'm familiar with both dCS and MSB, having owned both. They are both top-notch, and I'd say it's hard to say one is "better" than the other, as they both present a different kind of sound. dCS is more laid back, very detailed, but very laid back, the sound sits way back in the soundstage, and it's never too exciting. MSB is the opposite, it's very frontal, very lively, as if the musicians are playing very close to you, as opposed to being at a stage at the end of the room (like the dCS does). With both brands, you're able to buy the set piece by piece. You can get power supplies and extra ports (or even upgrade the DAC modules) with the MSB, and you can also get just the dCS DAC (the best you can afford) and then get the ancillaries (clock, upsampler) at a later date, or even get one from a lower line. AFAIK, you can interface the Aurender directly with either one, and sync their clocks, for optimum performance. Both systems can also be upgraded via software, which helps to future-proof them. You really can't go wrong with either one of these top two brands! alexandre

Alexandre...sounds like you owned both dCS and MSB in the past. What do you own now and how does it compare to these two brands (forgive me if you have a signature with this info, but I am posting this from the iPhone app which does not show peoples' signature). Thx

asiufy
07-11-2014, 02:09 PM
I have the MSB Diamond IV with the Universal transport, and separate power supplies.

alexandre

Ritmo
07-13-2014, 05:18 PM
Alexandre,

Have you listened to the Signature IV Plus? Interested in your perspective.

Thx!

asiufy
07-13-2014, 08:20 PM
I spent a few weeks with the Signature IV (non-Plus), before taking delivery of the top of the line Diamond IV with Galaxy Clock (non-Plus also).
My impression, moving from the Signature to the Diamond was that I was getting more of everything, while keeping the signature MSB sound. The Galaxy Clock makes a very noticeable difference, but even with it turned off, the Diamond was noticeably more transparent and "alive" than the Signature.
Have in mind that I had separate (Diamond) power supplies (for DAC and transport) the whole time. I understand these offer some improvement, as you move up their line.

alexandre

Ritmo
07-13-2014, 09:52 PM
Alexandre,

I'm considering the Sig IV Plus. Going to the diamond, while tempting, I'm not going to pursue it - too much $ for a technology that continues to change quickly.

Thx!

asiufy
07-14-2014, 09:56 AM
Ritmo,

Totally understandable. But you must know that the MSB IV is software upgradable. For instance, it gained DSD capability via a simple software upgrade. With it, all the ports now accept DSD input (not only USB!). AFAIK, most of the other DACs require a trip back to the factory.

dCS is the only other manufacturer that does upgrades too, though they're a little slow with these...

Your plan is sound, and I'm pretty sure you'll enjoy the MSB! Just don't forget to budget a good power supply for it!

alexandre

Elberoth
07-15-2014, 04:32 PM
I have owned both dCS and MSB. I have owned the dCS Puccini, Scarlatti, MSB DAC IV Signature and Diamond Plus (in that order). I have finally settled on the Trinity DAC - but that is another story.

The MSB stuff has an advantage over dCS as it has an USB input. With the dCS components to be able to interface with your X100L, you need to buy one of their latest upsamplers (the ones that come with the updated, 24/192kHz USB input) or the Puccini U-Clock USB/SPDIF converter/clock. The only Aurender that will let you interface directly with their DACs (via dual-AES and separate clock lines) is the $17.000 W-20.

Ritmo
07-15-2014, 05:18 PM
Elberoth,

I'm considering the MSB Signature IV Plus to replace my ARC DAC-8.

Can you comment on your experience with the Sig IV Plus. Are the Diamond and Trinity that much better? (Considering the cost premium of both DACs over the Sig IV Plus)

Thx!

Harmonix
07-20-2014, 09:25 AM
I have owned both dCS and MSB. I have owned the dCS Puccini, Scarlatti, MSB DAC IV Signature and Diamond Plus (in that order). I have finally settled on the Trinity DAC - but that is another story.

The MSB stuff has an advantage over dCS as it has an USB input. With the dCS components to be able to interface with your X100L, you need to buy one of their latest upsamplers (the ones that come with the updated, 24/192kHz USB input) or the Puccini U-Clock USB/SPDIF converter/clock. The only Aurender that will let you interface directly with their DACs (via dual-AES and separate clock lines) is the $17.000 W-20.

Please share your experience with the Trinity - sounds very interesting.

dkrm
07-20-2014, 09:42 AM
I have no experience with MBS or Theta. However, recently i took delivery of dcs Vivaldi set minus transport. I must say I was blown away by its performance. I am more of analogue person and listen mostly from my TW Raven AC3. Previously i owned Linn Klimax DS. While it is a good system, Vivaldi is a different league all together. I am still playing around with it. Testing uPnP vs USB. Filter changes. With or without clock. Diff cable. Etc. I am very pleased with what I am hearing. I start to listen to digital more and more now.

enzo66
08-01-2014, 04:06 PM
Alexandre,

Have you listened to the Signature IV Plus? Interested in your perspective.

Thx!
I bought the UMT Plus last november. If you have the I2S interface in the dac, the UMT Plus can work in slave mode: synchronizing himself with the same clock of the dac.
The best way is having the femtosecond galaxy clock on board.
Some instability can occur as soon as you play 96 kHz files but if you will wait in pause mode until the display has stabilized hitself and the green led on the left of the display will turn on, you can go on playing with very natural sound.
Ciao, Enzo