PDA

View Full Version : From Clearaudio champion level II to.....?

Jean-Marc jmajma
04-21-2014, 01:39 PM
Hello my friends,

I've got a strange idea in my head since 3 or 4 months: I don't know why, but I've got the LuFlu, I want to replace my beloved Clearaudio turntable.

Like a traitor, I've tried to find a reason, and when I measured speed values with the Iphone App Platterspeed , I found that the culprit was there; but yesterday I had on loan another Clearaudio motor, and I got the same values...
I've tried to get answers on the Clearaudio Thread, but no one is able to say me if these values are bad and if it's even audible.

To make it short, the idea is in my head now, like a worm in the apple...and I'm in the process to make me a big gift.

I have to say I have two fabulous audio buddies, Jérôme and Georges;I had the chance to listen to the La Platine JC Verdier at Jérôme's place, and it was incredible, I felt in love with this TT; I too read many positive things here and there on the Avid Acutus (very expensive ), and had the chance to listen to the George's one (Volvere) and it was fantastic.

On another side, I was interested in the TRANSROTOR Zet 3, but I listened 2 times to, and it was awful (probably the gear around and the cart ...).A beautiful piece of mechanic though. I would like to get a real demo in my home.

I wanted to see VPI too, Classic 3 or other.

To sum it up, what would you do my friends? I initially had 8k€ to spend on this ? Perhaps the reason....perhaps the passion...

I'm waiting for your opinions.

Masterlu
04-21-2014, 02:15 PM
I have both the Avid Acutus SP and the VPI HRX, both premium tables.

Jean-Marc jmajma
04-21-2014, 03:02 PM
Thank you Ivan, can you elaborate or say whet's your first choice?

Masterlu
04-21-2014, 03:11 PM
They both sound fantastic, the VPI is clearly the better dollar value. I really enjoy them equally.

John49
04-21-2014, 05:37 PM
Jean-Marc, 33676336773367833679 You know what I think...

audio bill
04-21-2014, 06:21 PM
Jean-Marc - I'm not sure about their availability in France, but as you can see from my avatar I'm partial towards the Nottingham Analogue turntables. I have their Dais model setup with Origin Live's Enterprise tonearm and an Ortofon Cadenza Bronze and the sound quality is absolutely superb. An extremely musical and involving presentation with a very black background. If you have the opportunity to check out the Nottingham tables I think it would be worth your time.

Jean-Marc jmajma
04-22-2014, 12:48 AM
John,

Yes I know and thank you again for your very sympathetic PMs.

I do have, as you know, the Acutus SP, but I am out of my budget, even with a very good deal I got. That said, if I can sell or trade in my Clearaudio, this could be my final decision.

Please stay aware for me of good plans in London and let me know, my friend.

Jean-Marc jmajma
04-22-2014, 12:53 AM
Thank you Bill,

I do know Nottingham Analogue based on their excellent reputation, but I don't know if they are sold here in France, same problem than Avid, on the importateur's website there is no seller ( but my dealer told me he could get one, even if he has no demo).

I'll do some research today on this brand, thank you again.

BTW, are they sold in US?

jdandy
04-22-2014, 01:04 AM
Jean-Marc.......I have admired this turntable for years. It accommodates many different tonearms, perhaps I would install a Graham Phantom.

http://www.stereomojo.com/TTWEIGHTS%20REVIEW/images/Thorens-TD-550.jpg

http://www.katli.com/Thumbnail%20Pictures/Graham%20Phantom%202.jpg

audio bill
04-22-2014, 07:45 AM
Thank you Bill,

I do know Nottingham Analogue based on their excellent reputation, but I don't know if they are sold here in France, same problem than Avid, on the importateur's website there is no seller ( but my dealer told me he could get one, even if he has no demo).

I'll do some research today on this brand, thank you again.

BTW, are they sold in US?
Nottingham used to be more widely available in the US through an established distribution company (Audiophile Systems Ltd.) that has since gone under, but they are still available and supported by a dealer/distributor (http://www.nottinghamanaloguestudio.com/) in CA.

Jean-Marc jmajma
04-22-2014, 08:07 AM
Yes Dan, thank you for your input, I had Thorens in the past and loved it.

This one is their top range and here in France it's 9700 euros with an Ortofon TA110 arm, but you can replace it on demand with an SME, etc...

It looks very good in my opinion, and perhaps I'll have a chance to listen to it.

Jean-Marc jmajma
04-22-2014, 08:07 AM
Thank you Bill for your help, I'll follow this bind.

Jean-Marc jmajma
04-22-2014, 08:08 AM
I have a RDV this afternoon at JC Verdier's place and with himself.

Bernard
04-22-2014, 10:15 AM
Have you considered borrowing something like a VPI SDS and using it to adjust the speed of your Clearaudio to hear if the difference is audible? I am, of course, assuming that the SDS is compatible with your TT.

Shindoadict
04-22-2014, 11:46 AM
Good listening.

JM I had a Champion in the past and when I received my Verdier I could finally enjoy the music.The music flows like a river:):)

Jean-Marc jmajma
04-22-2014, 05:18 PM
It was an incredible afternoon at JC Verdier's home where I met his wife, his son and his cats.

We had 2 full hours listening to the LPs I brought, and having very interesting discussions while I changed the LPs on the La Platine JC Verdier, which was sitting near the FABULOUS Magnum. Preamp was a JC Verdier, separate power supply, a power amp JC Verdier, and home made speakers with Fertin .

He's a great guy, one of these extraordinary great Engineers who launched our hobby in the last century.

There is so much to tell about this man, but I know it would offense his modesty and simplicity....in one word, THE MAN. I didn't take pics for the same reasons.

I was lucky (his wife told me) he wanted me to visit his personal museum: he became in the early 70s a big collector and has very very valuable pieces of gear from the late 1800s through the late 1900s. I was without voice when I visited the first room...and he told me next time I'll see the 2 other ones....

Now, should I buy the La Platine? The idea is growing in my mind...I have to sleep on that!

Jerome W
04-23-2014, 01:05 AM
It was an incredible afternoon at JC Verdier's home where I met his wife, his son and his cats.

We had 2 full hours listening to the LPs I brought, and having very interesting discussions while I changed the LPs on the La Platine JC Verdier, which was sitting near the FABULOUS Magnum. Preamp was a JC Verdier, separate power supply, a power amp JC Verdier, and home made speakers with Fertin .

He's a great guy, one of these extraordinary great Engineers who launched our hobby in the last century.

There is so much to tell about this man, but I know it would offense his modesty and simplicity....in one word, THE MAN. I didn't take pics for the same reasons.

I was lucky (his wife told me) he wanted me to visit his personal museum: he became in the early 70s a big collector and has very very valuable pieces of gear from the late 1800s through the late 1900s. I was without voice when I visited the first room...and he told me next time I'll see the 2 other ones....

Now, should I buy the La Platine? The idea is growing in my mind...I have to sleep on that!

Jean Marc : thank you for sharing !
You probably showed a lot of interest for oldies. I did not have the chance to visit the Museum.

The Verdier does many things just right. All the recordings sound very different now. The sound is full weighted and fast and agile at the same time.
All my other turntables sounded " colored " compared to it, even our big Clearaudio. Trust me : the Verdier is head and shoulders above the Clearaudio.
But where the Verdier is truly amazing is in the bass. I cannot even imagine how stunning a Verdier / Alexia combo must be in the bass area.

Moreover, being Black and Chrome, the Verdier will feel just at home on your Mc rack.

Just my 2 cents buddy....

Jerome W
04-23-2014, 01:09 AM
There is a dark side of the Verdier indeed.

Something that could disturb most of us here who are under permanent Flu.

The Verdier will be your last TT. :D

Jerome W
04-23-2014, 01:20 AM
Jean Marc, next week when I will come back from Prague you have to come to listen to the Verdier on the Harbeth M40.1.

I do not ask myself much questions about sound quality now...

Jean-Marc jmajma
04-23-2014, 03:23 AM
It will be with great pleasure, Jérôme...

Have a good vacation in Prague, we plan one day to visit this beautiful town.

Yes the piano finish is wonderful on the Verdier. And yes I think it couls proudly fit sitting on my rack. But moreover the speed stability is incredible, and I think it's a big part in the perceived sound quality.

I wonder if the La nouvelle Platine , as JC Verdier states himself, is equal in sound quality, I would like to see and listen to one.

Jerome W
04-23-2014, 05:13 AM
It will be with great pleasure, Jérôme...

Have a good vacation in Prague, we plan one day to visit this beautiful town.

Yes the piano finish is wonderful on the Verdier. And yes I think it couls proudly fit sitting on my rack. But moreover the speed stability is incredible, and I think it's a big part in the perceived sound quality.

I wonder if the La nouvelle Platine , as JC Verdier states himself, is equal in sound quality, I would like to see and listen to one.

Alain Choukroun has the Nouvelle on demo.

Jean-Marc jmajma
04-24-2014, 11:14 AM
Yes, I should pay him a visit.

I looked at VPI and SME turntables; on the used market,I saw a Classic 3, I saw an HRX (but bid was quickly ended), a SME 20/3A.

There is (John told me) a Verdier used on eBay too.

I'll try tonight to fall again in love with my Clearaudio, this could save me money....

John49
04-24-2014, 01:12 PM
Yes, I should pay him a visit. I looked at VPI and SME turntables; on the used market,I saw a Classic 3, I saw an HRX (but bid was quickly ended), a SME 20/3A. There is (John told me) a Verdier used on eBay too. I'll try tonight to fall again in love with my Clearaudio, this could save me money....

No! You don't want to save money!

Buy one of these!

Truemaineiac
05-25-2014, 09:52 PM
I had a regular champion and went to Well Tempered Amadeus and think that the WT are a very good option to consider.

Sent from my iPad using A.Aficionado

Jean-Marc jmajma
05-26-2014, 01:34 AM
I finally bought an AVID ACUTUS SP CHROME with an SME V, and I use my Lyra Dorian...

I didn't yet report because I enjoy tons of LPs for the moment.

I want here to heartly thank Georges, John and Jérôme who helped me in the decision.

John49
05-26-2014, 04:51 AM
I finally bought an AVID ACUTUS SP CHROME with an SME V, and I use my Lyra Dorian... I didn't yet report because I enjoy tons of LPs for the moment. I want here to heartly thank Georges, John and Jérôme who helped me in the decision.

Good to see that you have 'come out' to your fellow AA members! Takes a lot of courage to not buy a VPI, Rega or any of the other, fine turntables mentioned regularly on this forum.

Thank you for your thanks and good wishes to my fellow helpers in France.

Jerome W
05-27-2014, 01:38 AM
I finally bought an AVID ACUTUS SP CHROME with an SME V, and I use my Lyra Dorian...

I didn't yet report because I enjoy tons of LPs for the moment.

I want here to heartly thank Georges, John and Jérôme who helped me in the decision.

You welcome Jean Marc !
Always glad to help you lighten your wallet ! :D

Jean-Marc jmajma
05-27-2014, 01:58 AM
Don't speak of money, Jérôme, it's all about passion and fun.:music::music:

I thought you were my friend, not a AVID/WILSON AUDIO etc ...spy!:D:D:D

Jerome W
05-27-2014, 02:34 AM
Don't speak of money, Jérôme, it's all about passion and fun.:music::music:

I thought you were my friend, not a AVID/WILSON AUDIO etc ...spy!:D:D:D

:roflmao:
We're all secret agents of great audio companies here ! :D

turntable
05-27-2014, 05:38 AM
Jean Marc

You live in France

Buy a Verdier. You know it sounds wonderful and parts/service etc will always be around

Enjoy

Jerome W
05-27-2014, 06:05 AM
Jean Marc

You live in France

Buy a Verdier. You know it sounds wonderful and parts/service etc will always be around

Enjoy

Shane,
You're late to the party... JM already bought the Avid.
Oh you mean an other TT ?? :D
Like you ? How many TT's do you own ? :lmao:

Jean-Marc jmajma
05-27-2014, 10:59 AM
Shane,

I love your system in your sig, it seems to be a very highly enjoyable system.

Yes, the Verdier was the contender, but I preferred without any hesitation the look of the Avid.