PDA

View Full Version : Gryphon Mephisto Stereo + Cardas

joeling
04-13-2014, 11:01 AM
I have just taken delivery of a Mephisto Stereo paired with Gryphon Pandora pre.

Strangest of things occurred when my dealer tried to hook up my Cards Clear speaker wires. The main power fuse blew on one side of the Mephisto. I gave another different older version of Cardas clear to try. Same thing. I took my Golden cross out of storage & both main fuses blew. Hooked up a cheap Chord speaker cables all is well. Tried Kimber 8TC that was lying around all clear. Took out ancient Tara Labs also ok.

What could be happening ? :confused-2::confused-2:

Right now my dealer's top of the line Chord is doing speaker cable duties while he checks with both manufacturers what's up.

joeling
04-13-2014, 11:02 AM
Prior to that the very same Cardas cables were being used on the Antileon Sig without problems. Check continuity & any shorts all ok.

Fuse rating on both amps are the same slow blo 5A

Anyone have any experience like this ? Care to enlighten ?

Down Under
04-13-2014, 10:52 PM
Thankfully I have not had it happen to my Colosseum stereo amp, but it has happened to my Mirage preamp several times.
They are 500mA slow blow fuses. Putting 250V fuses helped as local power is 240V.
The fuses blew during 2 "brown outs" associated with electrical storms. If the local power supply fluctuates it is quite common I understand.
I have only used Nordost and Gryphon reference speaker cable but have had no problems so far as the power amp is concerned.

redm
04-13-2014, 11:04 PM
No idea whats going on, but I'm curious to find out..

:lurk:

joeling
04-14-2014, 05:35 AM
So I guess I am looking for cables with similar sonic signature as the Cardas clear but is not Cardas :scratch2:

Any suggestions ?

redm
04-14-2014, 09:42 AM
So I guess I am looking for cables with similar sonic signature as the Cardas clear but is not Cardas :scratch2: Any suggestions ?

Did you try the cables on another amp?

Sent from my iPhone

John49
04-17-2014, 03:02 AM
Right now my dealer's top of the line Chord is doing speaker cable duties while he checks with both manufacturers what's up.

Strange problem!

Which Chord are you using, Signature or Sarum?

joeling
04-17-2014, 04:02 AM
The speaker cable from my dealer is the Sarum

John49
04-17-2014, 04:09 AM
The speaker cable from my dealer is the Sarum

Have not had the opportunity to trial this in my system, though I do have Sarum interconnects. Have to make do with the Signature... Even this has now been improved as the Signature Reference.

ozy
12-29-2015, 03:16 AM
had a similar problem with my colleseum solos - kept blowing fuses... not sure if it was a mismatch with the speaker cables(doubt it), or just a glitch in the design...
love the gryphon sound, hate their finicky reliability.