PDA

View Full Version : How would the Aerial Acoustics 7T compare to Canton Reference 3.2 DC?

bikr
04-13-2014, 10:49 AM
I'd like to build a 2-channel system around a McIntosh MC452. I realize it's a little weird to pick the amp before the speakers, but the MC207 I got for my home theater system has made me a McIntosh convert. Plus I've demoed the MC452 (w/802 Diamonds) a couple times and just love it. I did consider the 802 Diamonds, but they just don't go low enough for me. I'd like to avoid a subwoofer, so I've been researching speakers in the $10k price range (used or new) that go down into the mid-20s (Hz).

I wan't planning to start this project until next year, but then I came across a used pair of Canton Reference 3.2 DC (https://app.audiogon.com/listings/full-range-canton-electronics-reference-3-2-dc-cherry-2014-03-31-speakers-83706)s in my area. High-end used stuff like this isn't common here and since the asking price is within my budget, I thought I should give them a listen.

I liked what I heard, but it didn't totally blow me away...but part of that was probably the sub-optimal room. The electronics were also different than what I'm planning. The Cantons were running on a Naim disc player, Audio Research preamp, and Classe Delta M600 monoblocks. Initially I'll use my Oppo BDP-95 as source and preamp going directly into the MC452. Eventually I may get a separate (McIntosh?) preamp.

I don't know if I'd ever get a chance to demo the 7Ts here, so I was curious if anyone who has the 7Ts have had experience with the Cantons and could describe how they'd compare?

Yamaki
04-13-2014, 11:01 AM
I've listened to both and for me, the 7T's sounded better with the gear they were hooked to (Bryston). I listened to a lot of speakers before I purchased some Aerial 8's (found a great used deal) and I kept coming back to the 7T's when I was looking.

Of course those were my ears and not yours that were listening. I hope you get a chance to listen to a pair and I'm sure others will chime in on the subject.

I wish you luck in your search.

Pider
04-13-2014, 11:14 AM
Why not a sub? Space issues?

bikr
04-13-2014, 11:14 AM
Thanks for the fast reply Michael! Just from everything I've read so far, I have a feeling my ears will like the 7Ts better as well! But you're right, the only way to know for sure will be to demo them.

I do travel to Seattle and Salt Lake City regularly. Any 7T owners in those areas willing to have me over and listen to them for a few minutes?

bikr
04-13-2014, 11:22 AM
Why not a sub? Space issues?

It's partly a space issue, but I really just wanted to keep this system as simple as possible.

I'm a bit OCD and have spent many, many hours tuning my HT system with it's dual F112s (and Sound Anchors...thanks Ivan!). While it now sounds incredible, I rather not go down that rabbit hole again. The fewer components, the less I'm tempted to tweak this that and the other... :)

Masterlu
04-13-2014, 11:28 AM
It's partly a space issue, but I really just wanted to keep this system as simple as possible.

I'm a bit OCD and have spent many, many hours tuning my HT system with it's dual F112s (and Sound Anchors...thanks Ivan!). While it now sounds incredible, I rather not go down that rabbit hole again. The fewer components, the less I'm tempted to tweak this that and the other... :)

The bottom end of the 7T's continually amaze me. :yes:

Yamaki
04-13-2014, 11:39 AM
The bottom end of the 7T's continually amaze me. :yes:

Agreed.

My 8's came with 10" woofers built in rated down to 28 Hz so I have no worries when it comes to bass.

:thumbsup:

Pider
04-13-2014, 11:53 AM
I have been thinking 6Ts, but I think I'd keep my REL......

redm
04-13-2014, 01:15 PM
I'd like to build a 2-channel system around a McIntosh MC452. I realize it's a little weird to pick the amp before the speakers, but the MC207 I got for my home theater system has made me a McIntosh convert. Plus I've demoed the MC452 (w/802 Diamonds) a couple times and just love it. I did consider the 802 Diamonds, but they just don't go low enough for me. I'd like to avoid a subwoofer, so I've been researching speakers in the $10k price range (used or new) that go down into the mid-20s (Hz). I wan't planning to start this project until next year, but then I came across a used pair of Canton Reference 3.2 DC (https://app.audiogon.com/listings/full-range-canton-electronics-reference-3-2-dc-cherry-2014-03-31-speakers-83706)s in my area. High-end used stuff like this isn't common here and since the asking price is within my budget, I thought I should give them a listen. I liked what I heard, but it didn't totally blow me away...but part of that was probably the sub-optimal room. The electronics were also different than what I'm planning. The Cantons were running on a Naim disc player, Audio Research preamp, and Classe Delta M600 monoblocks. Initially I'll use my Oppo BDP-95 as source and preamp going directly into the MC452. Eventually I may get a separate (McIntosh?) preamp. I don't know if I'd ever get a chance to demo the 7Ts here, so I was curious if anyone who has the 7Ts have had experience with the Cantons and could describe how they'd compare?

If your not sure, then your sure it's not exactly what you want. Don't settle.

Sent from my iPhone

Yamaki
04-13-2014, 01:41 PM
I have been thinking 6Ts, but I think I'd keep my REL......

There's a nice pair of 6's locally on CL, John.

Just sayin... :D

Kal Rubinson
04-13-2014, 01:46 PM
I don't know if I'd ever get a chance to demo the 7Ts here, so I was curious if anyone who has the 7Ts have had experience with the Cantons and could describe how they'd compare?I have heard both but not back-to-back and not very recently. So, I can only refer you to my reviews for more info.

FWIW, I have an abiding love for the 7Ts but the Cantons left little impression long term.

Pider
04-13-2014, 04:00 PM
There's a nice pair of 6's locally on CL, John.

Just sayin... :D

Not 6T's.

Yamaki
04-13-2014, 04:22 PM
Not 6T's.

i know, i know....but 6s are nice too. :)