PDA

View Full Version : Cable suggestions for 3.7's

maxdog
04-03-2014, 09:40 PM
I'm curious what cables mate well with maggies, in your opinion.
Anything that you would stay away from?
Have the 3.7's and Ref 3/Magtech combo, with Modwright 105. Any suggestions as to matches to try?
Thanks,
Carl

russell
04-03-2014, 09:52 PM
How long do the speaker cables need to be?

maxdog
04-03-2014, 10:17 PM
8 feet...unless I can find a longer pair of interconnects from pre to amp, in which case I could go 4-5 feet I think

russell
04-03-2014, 10:34 PM
http://www.audioholics.com/gadget-reviews/blue-jeans-10awg-speaker-cable-5t00up

http://www.audioholics.com/audio-video-cables/speaker-cable-gauge

I use them on my 20.7's. I subscribe to the lowest gauge, shortest length, least resistance logic.

Considering the forum that we're in, I'm sorry they are not more expensive.

cma29
04-04-2014, 08:44 AM
Check out The Cable Company's lending library. You can try before you buy. Little risk, big upside.

Robert_Anderson
04-04-2014, 11:08 AM
I agree with the comment regarding short cabling. I use four sets of Shunyata Orions on my 20.1's.

Mikado463
04-04-2014, 02:33 PM
Considering the forum that we're in, I'm sorry they are not more expensive.

Classic…..I love it Russ !

With that being said, I'm a big fan of Frank's (Signal cable) offerings ……….

wildcat82
04-04-2014, 05:28 PM
I had Roger Sanders (Sanders Sound Systems) make me a set of cables for my 20.7s when I ordered my Magtech amp. Check out his site and Cables White Paper, its an interesting read.

mraudio
04-05-2014, 12:13 AM
Canare 4S11. Retails for about $1.50 a foot, but can be found for around $1.25. I've used this on my Maggy 3.6s and my Martin Logan CLSIIAs for awhile now. They replaced some very expensive cables and I couldn't be happier.

klao
04-05-2014, 01:32 AM
I liked the Harmonic Tech Pro-9 Reference external bi-wire on my 3.6's.

Now I'm using the modest Kimber 12TC (1.5 m or 4.9 feet) with WBT nextgen 0681Ag spades at amp ends & 0610Ag bananas at Maggie 20.7 ends. Not too bad.

audiot servant
04-05-2014, 02:16 AM
Heard the 3.7i with the Auditorium 23 last week that is such a sweet match for Shindo and Devore and it sounded rich, detailed and musical. Think it retails for under a $1k for 3 metres. Worth every penny!

Similarly the WW Silver Eclipse is a good match. Great pick up if you can get second hand for around half retail.

Also I'm currently using WW Plats and love the transparency, air and extension from top to down to deep below but that is definitely getting to the pointy end of pricey wire.

russell
04-05-2014, 02:43 AM
Classic…..I love it Russ !

Thanks Mik

Heard the 3.7i with the Auditorium 23 last week that is such a sweet match for Shindo and Devore and it sounded rich, detailed and musical. Think it retails for under a $1k for 3 metres. Worth every penny!

I just heard these:
http://www.audioholics.com/gadget-reviews/blue-jeans-10awg-speaker-cable-5t00up
and I believe they retail for under $2k for 3 meters but definitely worth every penny.

Also, since these cables are so wicked awesome, I will now refer to the sound of them as scrumdiddlyumptious.

audiot servant
04-05-2014, 03:21 AM
Hey Russ,
I never pick a fight with the almighty anti cable brigade man... Some people don't see the difference between cables as worthwhile and some do, all good mate but I figure maybe that sly wickedness extends to your humour... Crack me up lol... Much appreciated.

russell
04-05-2014, 10:03 AM
As a sign of peace, I'd like to officially declare:

1) Both of our cables retail for under $10k but both are definitely worth every penny.

2) The cable recommendations by Audiot will now also be included and classified as scrumdiddlyumptious.

Sound the conch shell...
(the most expensive one of course...I think it sounds better).

Mikado463
04-05-2014, 11:32 AM
I had Roger Sanders (Sanders Sound Systems) make me a set of cables for my 20.7s when I ordered my Magtech amp. Check out his site and Cables White Paper, its an interesting read.

Op, if interested there is a set of these cables (8') for sale over on the Martin Logan forum

audiot servant
04-05-2014, 05:14 PM
Carl,

When I bought my first set of Maggie's (3.7s like yours) the guy who was demoing them wisely told me that I was listening to one of the best tweeter ribbons in the world and this speaker was capable of producing mid range that would make many $30k+ speakers envious and while the bass while not exactly earth shatteringly low it was satisfyingly fast, agile and informative. You just need to give them the right gear.

Whatever speaker cables you choose make sure they are not rolled off at the top and veil that marvelous sense of air, or are thin in the mids which can make those Maggie's sound bleached in particular. If the cables also get the bass optimised and rhythmic then you have hit a bit of a trifecta.

With the gear you have you clearly know about musicality and transparency so while not unforgiving 3.7s can also be very fast like a track car if you give them the right transparent support... certainly don't put crap cables that don't get the best out of those panels and the quality gear in rest of your system... as others have said trying out for yourself is the best way for sure.

The 3.7s are remarkably honest and you have great supporting gear so if you get some cables in for a trial from the Cable co or a local dealer then you will be able to hear the differences for yourself and that is the benefit of having a really revealing speaker.

I'd have thought with an Arc Ref 3 you could probably afford extra detail like WW Silver Eclipse in the cables as valve gear often makes a bit of silver a good idea. For all copper the Au23 I mentioned in the earlier post at about $800 is a good investment in getting the maximum music to your panels.

The journey and discovery is half the fun and those Maggie's will let you know what you should spend unfortunately. Hope you find something that makes you happy.

Best wishes with it,
Graham

audio bill
04-05-2014, 06:41 PM
Carl,

When I bought my first set of Maggie's (3.7s like yours) the guy who was demoing them wisely told me that I was listening to one of the best tweeter ribbons in the world and this speaker was capable of producing mid range that would make many $30k+ speakers envious and while the bass while not exactly earth shatteringly low it was satisfyingly fast, agile and informative. You just need to give them the right gear.

Whatever speaker cables you choose make sure they are not rolled off at the top and veil that marvelous sense of air, or are thin in the mids which can make those Maggie's sound bleached in particular. If the cables also get the bass optimised and rhythmic then you have hit a bit of a trifecta.

With the gear you have you clearly know about musicality and transparency so while not unforgiving 3.7s can also be very fast like a track car if you give them the right transparent support... certainly don't put crap cables that don't get the best out of those panels and the quality gear in rest of your system... as others have said trying out for yourself is the best way for sure.

The 3.7s are remarkably honest and you have great supporting gear so if you get some cables in for a trial from the Cable co or a local dealer then you will be able to hear the differences for yourself and that is the benefit of having a really revealing speaker.

I'd have thought with an Arc Ref 3 you could probably afford extra detail like WW Silver Eclipse in the cables as valve gear often makes a bit of silver a good idea. For all copper the Au23 I mentioned in the earlier post at about $800 is a good investment in getting the maximum music to your panels.

The journey and discovery is half the fun and those Maggie's will let you know what you should spend unfortunately. Hope you find something that makes you happy.

Best wishes with it,
Graham
Graham, a very thoughtful post from someone having direct experience with the speakers in question. It's very helpful for us all to benefit from your personal experience. With such a revealing speaker like the 3.7's cable differences are relatively easy to hear, and do need to be selected based upon matching the system's electronics in order to achieve your desired sonic preferences. :tresbon:

audiot servant
04-05-2014, 07:01 PM
Many thanks Bill,
Those 3.7s are so informative they teach you a lot about working with the room and speaker positioning, the importance of coherence and transparency and system building and that the cables are an important part of bringing it all together... spose that is the challenge of having a revealing speaker and but then also the gift.

maxdog
04-06-2014, 12:08 AM
Interestingly, I currently have a pair of Sanders cables for the speakers.
I just read his paper about cables, and like the fact that he believes cables should do nothing to the sound. He believes you should hear the speakers as the designer built them.
Th cables shouldn't modify the sound in any way.

Graham , thanks for the the thoughtful response. It's answers like yours which make this such a wonderful site for advice and suggestions.
Thanks all for the insights.

timm
04-07-2014, 09:16 PM
Hi guys.

Any thoughts on all copper vs silver? Or a copper/silver combination for speaker cable ?

Hifisand
04-08-2014, 11:23 PM
I use Morrow SP -7s. speaker and interconnect.