PDA

View Full Version : VK-250 BatPak

Bavarian05
03-26-2014, 07:10 PM
Anybody heard or own one of these?

PHC1
03-26-2014, 08:09 PM
Yes, I owned a VK-250 with a BatPack some years ago with a 31SE preamp and Dynaudio 72SE speakers at the time. Fantastic. I really enjoyed that setup but this hobby breeds neurotic behavior so I sold it all off in pursuit of something bigger and better. :D

Bavarian05
03-26-2014, 08:15 PM
Yes, I owned a VK-250 with a BatPack some years ago with a 31SE preamp and Dynaudio 72SE speakers at the time. Fantastic. I really enjoyed that setup but this hobby breeds neurotic behavior so I sold it all off in pursuit of something bigger and better. :D

Any comparisons you can make?
I am generally speaking, not a big solid state fan, though I understand this one is MOSFET based and has a relatively warm balance. True?
I can't really find any useful reviews on this amp however.

PHC1
03-27-2014, 12:22 AM
Any comparisons you can make?
I am generally speaking, not a big solid state fan, though I understand this one is MOSFET based and has a relatively warm balance. True?
I can't really find any useful reviews on this amp however.

Many people say BAT sounds more on the darker side of neutrality and I did notice that the mids sounded a bit recessed and the top end lacked a tiny bit of air. None of these characteristics detracted from enjoyment of the system and actually some recordings benefited from the slightly darker balance of the system. I enjoyed the system a lot. :music: What is the rest of your system like?

Bavarian05
03-27-2014, 02:08 AM
Many people say BAT sounds more on the darker side of neutrality and I did notice that the mids sounded a bit recessed and the top end lacked a tiny bit of air. None of these characteristics detracted from enjoyment of the system and actually some recordings benefited from the slightly darker balance of the system. I enjoyed the system a lot. :music: What is the rest of your system like?

ARC Ref 3, Ref 110, Bryston BDP-1, BDA-1, Sonus Faber Cremona Auditor M's and Audioquest CV-8 and Columbia cabling.
I think the impedances between Ref 3 and VK-250 would match okay, but wondering if it may sound too dark with the Sonus Fabers?

PHC1
03-27-2014, 10:59 AM
ARC Ref 3, Ref 110, Bryston BDP-1, BDA-1, Sonus Faber Cremona Auditor M's and Audioquest CV-8 and Columbia cabling.
I think the impedances between Ref 3 and VK-250 would match okay, but wondering if it may sound too dark with the Sonus Fabers?

I've owned a pair of older Cremona Auditors but did not have the BAT gear at that point. IMHO, no, it will not sound too dark with the Cremona M's but we all have our preference and taste. Any way for you to audition the BAT gear or are you thinking of buying unheard and unseen?

Bavarian05
03-27-2014, 01:24 PM
I've owned a pair of older Cremona Auditors but did not have the BAT gear at that point. IMHO, no, it will not sound too dark with the Cremona M's but we all have our preference and taste. Any way for you to audition the BAT gear or are you thinking of buying unheard and unseen? Considering unheard and unseen. A rarity for me. Though I can return it at a cost of 15% restocking fee and the shipping cost both ways...

Bavarian05
04-11-2014, 07:50 PM
Just ordered the BAT VK-250SE. Should arrive on Monday. We'll see how well it matches up with the Sonus Faber Olympica II.

Bavarian05
04-24-2014, 12:51 AM
Just ordered the BAT VK-250SE. Should arrive on Monday. We'll see how well it matches up with the Sonus Faber Olympica II.
Not so much. It was not a good fit. :-(

chessman
04-24-2014, 10:18 AM
Not so much. It was not a good fit. :-(

Uh oh. What was the issue?

Bavarian05
04-28-2014, 10:05 PM
Uh oh. What was the issue?

Simply put, it didn't have any "meat on the bones". Sounded flat and had a grayish sound overall when compared to tube amps. No liquidity or "continuousness".
I have tried solid state a few times and don't think I will try anymore. I think I am firmly in the tube camp going forward. I gave it 120 hours to settle in. Maybe not enough...?

cmalak
04-28-2014, 11:03 PM
Did you buy it or were you demoing it? What is the input impedance on the BAT amp (50Kohms like the current version VK-255SE)? It could be a mismatch with the Ref 3 perhaps?

Bavarian05
04-29-2014, 03:21 PM
Did you buy it or were you demoing it? What is the input impedance on the BAT amp (50Kohms like the current version VK-255SE)? It could be a mismatch with the Ref 3 perhaps?

I bought it and returned it. The impedance is 50k ohms which I had checked to make sure would be a good electrical match prior to purchase. Just not a good fit.