PDA

View Full Version : Ikeda IT-407 Tonearm

Number95
03-13-2014, 10:51 AM
Anybody using Ikeda long tonearm or having experiences may share his experiences briefly? I am at the process of getting a second tonearm, one will be Graham Phantom Elite 9 inch (hopefully will be delivered soon), the second one may be again another Graham (I already have Phantom B-44 and may keep it or upgrade it to recent Phantom models -either II Supreme, III or Elite) or another beast like Ikeda 12 inch. Contrary to my earlier thought that to keep it simple, two identical tonearms would work better in terms of assessing different cartridges (as tonearm parameter will be fixed), now I think a bit different as some cartridge/tonearm combinations would yield very different hence having 2 different tonearms would make more sense (I would not want to even discuss 9 vs 12 inch, pros cons etc). Costs of Ikeda and Graham look similar so it is more of musical and practical differences.

Any feedback welcome.

Number95
03-14-2014, 04:02 PM
Anybody using Ikeda long tonearm or having experiences may share his experiences briefly? I am at the process of getting a second tonearm, one will be Graham Phantom Elite 9 inch (hopefully will be delivered soon), the second one may be again another Graham (I already have Phantom B-44 and may keep it or upgrade it to recent Phantom models -either II Supreme, III or Elite) or another beast like Ikeda 12 inch. Contrary to my earlier thought that to keep it simple, two identical tonearms would work better in terms of assessing different cartridges (as tonearm parameter will be fixed), now I think a bit different as some cartridge/tonearm combinations would yield very different hence having 2 different tonearms would make more sense (I would not want to even discuss 9 vs 12 inch, pros cons etc). Costs of Ikeda and Graham look similar so it is more of musical and practical differences.

Any feedback welcome.

Well I guess Ikeda not very popular among AA members as no reply. I found a friend who have used both Ikeda 407 and Graham Phantom and he says Graham is almost excellent but when it comes to Ikeda, it is a special tonearm, not sure it is due to 12 vs 9 inch. I decided to order 407 as second tonearm, will share my impressions here after installing and testing it.:music:

Myles B. Astor
03-16-2014, 10:47 AM
Well I guess Ikeda not very popular among AA members as no reply. I found a friend who have used both Ikeda 407 and Graham Phantom and he says Graham is almost excellent but when it comes to Ikeda, it is a special tonearm, not sure it is due to 12 vs 9 inch. I decided to order 407 as second tonearm, will share my impressions here after installing and testing it.:music:

Think that Bill's just getting distribution set up.

Here 'a a link to a review.

http://www.avshowrooms.com/Ikeda_Tonearm.html

Number95
03-16-2014, 05:15 PM
Think that Bill's just getting distribution set up.

Here 'a a link to a review.

Ikeda Tonearm (http://www.avshowrooms.com/Ikeda_Tonearm.html)

Hello Myles,

Thanks for that link, I have seen those while searching. That looks like a really promising tonearm. I also consider 9tt cartridge it seems like benefiting from synergy between those two. Kansui (that I have now) vs 9tt both with 407 tonearm would be an interesting experience :-)

Myles B. Astor
03-16-2014, 06:11 PM
Hello Myles, Thanks for that link, I have seen those while searching. That looks like a really promising tonearm. I also consider 9tt cartridge it seems like benefiting from synergy between those two. Kansui (that I have now) vs 9tt both with 407 tonearm would be an interesting experience :-) I'm just finishing a review of the 9tt. Worked great in the VPI Classic 10.5 arm. The 9tt's requires a good phono section given it's extremely low output. Eventually will get a listen to the Kai down here too.

Number95
03-17-2014, 04:26 AM
I'm just finishing a review of the 9tt. Worked great in the VPI Classic 10.5 arm. The 9tt's requires a good phono section given it's extremely low output. Eventually will get a listen to the Kai down here too.

My ARC Ref 2 SE high gain is 74db, I presume it is adequate for a low output cartridge like 9tt. Also some Japanese makers (like Ikeda) indicate their output at 3.54cm/s, I guess 9tt output at 5cm/s should be higher to compare to some other manufacturers cartridges outputs specifed at 5cm/s.

Kai vs 9tt would be even more interesting! :scratch2:

Looking to hear your impressions. The price tag proves Kai should be a better effort, but whether it is worth paying extra over 9tt should be the question.

Number95
04-02-2014, 10:35 AM
I'm just finishing a review of the 9tt. Worked great in the VPI Classic 10.5 arm. The 9tt's requires a good phono section given it's extremely low output. Eventually will get a listen to the Kai down here too.

Myles,

My 407 tonearm and Kai cartridge already on their way, hope to get them delivered next week. I may review Kai before you! :music::D

mulveling
04-02-2014, 12:55 PM
Congrats, what a beautiful tonearm! I used an old Fidelity Research FR-64fx for years and then got a Phantom Supreme with my new table. I'm unable to do direct comparisons unless I get a 2nd arm broad, but while the Graham is excellent, I think the old FR arm -- at the very least -- holds its own with Koetsu carts. Obviously, I'd expect a new Ikeda 407 to significantly exceed that.

Number95
04-03-2014, 03:16 AM
Congrats, what a beautiful tonearm! I used an old Fidelity Research FR-64fx for years and then got a Phantom Supreme with my new table. I'm unable to do direct comparisons unless I get a 2nd arm broad, but while the Graham is excellent, I think the old FR arm -- at the very least -- holds its own with Koetsu carts. Obviously, I'd expect a new Ikeda 407 to significantly exceed that.

Thank you Mike. I will use 407 as second tonearm to complement my Graham. I also think of using Ikeda with low compliance cartridges. I will give feedback as how Ikeda holds against Graham.

Number95
04-07-2014, 02:56 PM

Ikeda Kai arrived today. Hope to listen to it with Ikeda 407 tonearm soon. :music:

Number95
04-07-2014, 03:00 PM

And here is 407 cr1 tonearm, arrived today. Hope to get Acoustic Solid armboard for Ikeda to install. More to come...

Myles B. Astor
04-07-2014, 09:55 PM
And here is 407 cr1 tonearm, arrived today. Hope to get Acoustic Solid armboard for Ikeda to install. More to come...

Can't wait to hear your impressions!

Number95
04-08-2014, 05:02 AM
Can't wait to hear your impressions!

Hello Myles,

Have you had any chance to listen to Kai after 9tt?

Number95
04-18-2014, 04:15 AM
Finally armboard arrived. I installed the tonearm though I am not familiar with Ikeda or FR tonerms (just know Graham). Did not have much experience on antiskating will experience today. Installed Kai and Kansui to different headshells and tried (not quite sure the most optimum alignment but presume fair enough for a quick try). Kai is really special with 407, Kansui is also very nice but different. Kai excels in soundstage, liquidity, a midrange liquidity and presence to hear, upper tones almost excellent even from 0 hours. Kansui having better PRAT, more emphasis on midbass, still a very good tracker and detailed on mids/highs though not at the same level of Kai. Kai seemed to be slightly on the warm side though Kansui seemed more neutral to lean side. Btw, Kai was not bass shy, bass texture and decay seemed better compared to Kansui. Certainly, breaking in and better alignment should be factored in to make any critical judgement. For sure, both cartridges provide sheer musical pleasure. Compared to Orpheus/Graham, both cartridges with Ikeda had better liquidity, better midrange details and highs while Orpheus/Graham combo sounded best in bass details (might be a function of 9 inch vs 12 inch, tonearm differences as well as tonearm cables). More to come...

Number95
04-22-2014, 03:33 PM
Zyx Universe II is on its way home :D

I did not think a high compliance and light body cartridge would perform as good as lower compliance ones with a high mass tonearm like Ikeda, but surprisingly a borrowed Zyx Omega G yielded fantastic on Ikeda tonearm, if not beating Kai, well, Kai is almost new while Zyx has been fully broken in but again it was a surprise when considering price tag as well as lo vs hi comp on a high mass tonearm. Perhaps it is the combination with rest of the system, Omega had excellent tonality, neutrality and well extended bass definition, soundstage was almost on par with Kai. Given Omega is not the highest cartridge Zyx offers and a high mass tonearm may not be the first choice for Zyx (I also have Graham) I decided to bite the bullet and try Uni II. Let's see...:music:

Btw, cartridge evaluation is subjective to too many parameters and very system dependent so one may have different results with Zyx Omega, who knows...:scratch2:

Number95
04-24-2014, 08:09 AM
Zyx Universe II is on its way home :D

I did not think a high compliance and light body cartridge would perform as good as lower compliance ones with a high mass tonearm like Ikeda, but surprisingly a borrowed Zyx Omega G yielded fantastic on Ikeda tonearm, if not beating Kai, well, Kai is almost new while Zyx has been fully broken in but again it was a surprise when considering price tag as well as lo vs hi comp on a high mass tonearm. Perhaps it is the combination with rest of the system, Omega had excellent tonality, neutrality and well extended bass definition, soundstage was almost on par with Kai. Given Omega is not the highest cartridge Zyx offers and a high mass tonearm may not be the first choice for Zyx (I also have Graham) I decided to bite the bullet and try Uni II. Let's see...:music:

Btw, cartridge evaluation is subjective to too many parameters and very system dependent so one may have different results with Zyx Omega, who knows...:scratch2:

Life is interesting! Just one day after I put that comment, a good friend of mine gave his Lyra Atlas to me to break in his cartridge as he is still looking his new turntable to be delivered (what a nice friend right :yes:). I could not resist him and now got Atlas. That is also a good opportunity for me to test one of the best cartridges out there with my system. So I decided to wait before buying Zyx Uni2 while dealing with Atlas. :D

Number95
04-27-2014, 09:57 AM
A handsome tonearm for sure :D

Masterlu
04-27-2014, 10:05 AM
Agreed!

http://www.audioaficionado.org/attachments/turntables-tonearms/33747d1398606951-ikeda-407-tonearm-_mg_7151.jpg

http://www.audioaficionado.org/attachments/turntables-tonearms/33748d1398606979-ikeda-407-tonearm-_mg_7152.jpg