PDA

View Full Version : turntable prices

markc2
10-29-2009, 08:20 AM
I was curious as to what people think a high price for a turntable is.

After seeing pre's that cost $$$$$.00 and amps that cost at least that much, I was curious as to the perceived value of a turntable and it's relative cost. I would like to include the price of an Arm and pickup in the total cost of the turntable.

Mark

markc2
10-29-2009, 08:30 AM
In my turntable, most of the cost is reflected in the pickup. :confused-13:

Mark

PHC1
10-29-2009, 08:33 AM
This would depend on your budget and how serious you are about analog. :yes:

markc2
10-29-2009, 08:37 AM
This would depend on your budget and how serious you are about analog. :yes:

true.

I was curious as to see how people viewed vinyl. Digital, to me gets a lot of money put in it's direction and so does vinyl :drool:, to try and get the most out of the "magic silver disc's" and I was curious to see what people might be thinking it might take to get the magic out of the "good olde groove"..

PHC1
10-29-2009, 08:40 AM
true.

I was curious as to see how people viewed vinyl. Digital, to me gets a lot of money put in it's direction, to try and get the most out of the magic silver disc's and I was curious to see what people might be thinking to get the magic out of the "good olde groove"..

Some fall in love with analog and then their budget is the only limit, others try and never go far with it. :scratch2: I'm working my way up one step at a time not to get too far ahead too fast. I guess the fact that I am already thinking of upgrading my table/arm/cart means I really like it. :D

markc2
10-29-2009, 08:49 AM
Some fall in love with analog and then their budget is the only limit, others try and never go far with it. :scratch2: I'm working my way up one step at a time not to get too far ahead too fast. I guess the fact that I am already thinking of upgrading my table/arm/cart means I really like it. :D

I've heard the term vinyl resurgence and for some vinyl never left. Right now I am lucky I have a fair amount of room for records, but it never seemed to bother college dorm kids back in the day.

For me it was I could either have 2 ok systems in digital and vinyl, or just one good one. Plus the fact I listen to a lot of older jazz and classical, with all of the records out there and good prices, and the fun of the "hunt". It's just more fun for me.

Good luck on the possible upgrade :yes:

KMC45
10-29-2009, 01:54 PM
I'm past the $14,000 already with what I have, but the limit would be a SME 30/2 to replace my 20/2. I'd keep my Graham Phantom II, get another cartridge and call it a day.

PHC1
10-29-2009, 01:55 PM
I've heard the term vinyl resurgence and for some vinyl never left. Right now I am lucky I have a fair amount of room for records, but it never seemed to bother college dorm kids back in the day.

For me it was I could either have 2 ok systems in digital and vinyl, or just one good one. Plus the fact I listen to a lot of older jazz and classical, with all of the records out there and good prices, and the fun of the "hunt". It's just more fun for me.

Good luck on the possible upgrade :yes:

Thanks. I think I am going with the TW Acustic Raven. I like a slightly darker, denser and weightier presentation and the Raven/Graham Phantom II will give me that paired with the right cartridge. "Denser" meaning the images have more body and presence to them as opposed to a lighter, more diffuse image . :yes:

turntable
10-29-2009, 06:08 PM
Thanks. I think I am going with the TW Acustic Raven. I like a slightly darker, denser and weightier presentation and the Raven/Graham Phantom II will give me that paired with the right cartridge. "Denser" meaning the images have more body and presence to them as opposed to a lighter, more diffuse image . :yes:

Well Serge, I think you know i will totally agree you choice on this one. Make sure you get a 2nd armboard so you can buy a Ortofon tonearm or similar with detachable headshell.
This way you can maintain your reference on the Phantom and play around and have fun with the other arm.

cheers

markc2
10-29-2009, 06:20 PM
Well Serge, I think you know i will totally agree you choice on this one. Make sure you get a 2nd armboard so you can buy a Ortofon tonearm or similar with detachable headshell.
This way you can maintain your reference on the Phantom and play around and have fun with the other arm.

cheers

so that very demure but significant twac3 in your tag line, is that what I think it is????:yes:

if so, I've only read one or two reviews, and was curious as to what you might think of it..? besides the fact that you bought one....:D

Mark

turntable
10-29-2009, 06:32 PM
so that very demure but significant twac3 in your tag line, is that what I think it is????:yes:

if so, I've only read one or two reviews, and was curious as to what you might think of it..? besides the fact that you bought one....:D

Mark

Hi Mark - It is an excellent table and frankly should be an end game for all but the most obsessive audiophile. It is not dark sounding per say, but rather very neutral and controlled in what it does and really lets the arm/cartridge combo com out.
That said, it is certainly not the hyper detail freak like some of its competition, so longer term it is easier to listen to.

having the ability to have two or even 3/4 arms is a godsend IMO and with that you can have great fun in optimising two slightly different musical presentations for your listening preferences and pleasure.

I used to have a VPI HRX which was nice but had the tendancy to be a little too lively in the upper frequencies and always a little on the edge of your seat in comparison to the the Raven. I don't miss it.

hope that helps

PHC1
10-29-2009, 06:36 PM

cheers

I'll get another armboard for it for sure down the road. :yes: So, have you thought about upgrading to the Raven Black Knight ? :thumbsup: That table should be something else!

turntable
10-29-2009, 06:54 PM
I'll get another armboard for it for sure down the road. :yes: So, have you thought about upgrading to the Raven Black Knight ? :thumbsup: That table should be something else!

Black Knight - Not a F$%@en chance. very stupid money IMO for probably little more than a slightly different presentation.

The black Knight is very similar to the legendary Micro Seiki RX-5000 which can be bought for less than 8k used. A audiobuddy of mine just bought one from HK actual unit below - he has a raven two with Phantom II arm.

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a52/jasnev/Hi%20Fi%20and%20Horology/Micro%20Seiki%20RX%205000/MicroInsitu.jpg

More happier to keep the raven AC-3 and play around with vintage tables like my Exclusive P10, which for the price is sensational. same for other vintage tables like Garrard, Lenco, Micro Seiki, technics etc

markc2
10-29-2009, 07:01 PM
Black Knight - Not a F$%@en chance. very stupid money IMO for probably little more than a slightly different presentation.

The black Knight is very similar to the legendary Micro Seiki RX-5000 which can be bought for less than 8k used. A audiobuddy of mine just bought one from HK actual unit below - he has a raven two with Phantom II arm.

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a52/jasnev/Hi%20Fi%20and%20Horology/Micro%20Seiki%20RX%205000/MicroInsitu.jpg

More happier to keep the raven AC-3 and play around with vintage tables like my Exclusive P10, which for the price is sensational. same for other vintage tables like Garrard, Lenco, Micro Seiki, technics etc

Read about the Micro Seiki but never heard :tears: The Nakamichi TX-1000 is an other of the exotic japanese tables

It's amazing how many different ways people try to find to get what's on those grooves.

Mark

PHC1
10-29-2009, 07:21 PM

I don't know much about that Micro Seiki. Why do you think there is so much similarity between the two? :scratch2: Has your friend auditioned the BK as well? If it is similar to BK than it is a hell of a bargain and you save yourself $32k :D

turntable
10-29-2009, 07:35 PM
I don't know much about that Micro Seiki. Why do you think there is so much similarity between the two? :scratch2: Has your friend auditioned the BK as well? If it is similar to BK than it is a hell of a bargain and you save yourself $32k :D

More the concept Serge. Kudos to Thomas for using the MS as inspiration. the massive copper platter, on top of heavy unsuspended platter with over spec motor drive. MS's are very populat in Germany

The main difference between the two is you can buy a BN, the MS'a are very hard to come by and of course no company support.

Nah, unfortunately no one here downunder has heard the BN

BTW, If you are going to Jeff @ Highwater - give us a report on what you heard between the RAVEN AC-3 & BN.

PHC1
10-29-2009, 07:42 PM
More the concept Serge. Kudos to Thomas for using the MS as inspiration. the massive copper platter, on top of heavy unsuspended platter with over spec motor drive. MS's are very populat in Germany

The main difference between the two is you can buy a BN, the MS'a are very hard to come by and of course no company support.

Nah, unfortunately no one here downunder has heard the BN

BTW, If you are going to Jeff @ Highwater - give us a report on what you heard between the RAVEN AC-3 & BN.

Well, I know Jeff has a BN. :D If I can get out that way sometime in the near future, I'll share my findings. :yes: Jeff is a straight shooter though, he thinks the Raven 1 is a hell of a bargain with the other tables offering a bit more here and there. I would hope the BN would offer a hell of a lot more for its $40k price tag. :sigh: