PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone used the FOZGOMETER?

edkoz
01-18-2014, 01:27 PM
I am expecting my new Ortofon 2M black cart (could not pass up Ivan's cart special :D)For my VPI classic TT. I want to do the very best I can on the setup of the new cart so I was wondering if anyone has used the Fozgometer. I realize that it's a bit pricey but so are carts. I'm curious if using the tool really gets you closer to the most accurate setup? :scratch2:

rscotth
01-18-2014, 01:34 PM
I am expecting my new Ortofon 2M black cart (could not pass up Ivan's cart special :D)For my VPI classic TT. I want to do the very best I can on the setup of the new cart so I was wondering if anyone has used the Fozgometer. I realize that it's a bit pricey but so are carts. I'm curious if using the tool really gets you closer to the most accurate setup? :scratch2:

I used one with the SME309 arm on an AVID Volvere and Dynavector cart. Works very well and easy to use. After getting the azimuth correct, sonics were greatly improved.

willyjack
01-18-2014, 01:56 PM
Yes not something you use every week but it is well worth the money as it works like a charm and is super easy to use.

Pojuojuo
01-18-2014, 02:43 PM
What does Fozgometer measure?

Higgens
01-18-2014, 02:54 PM
It measures the number of fozgos in the knockulator. I thought everybody knew that. :)

jdandy
01-18-2014, 03:02 PM
What does Fozgometer measure?

Pojuojuo.......The Fozgometer allows you to perfectly align the azimuth of the stylus in a record groove. Azimuth is the left to right angle of the stylus tip as seen looking directly from the front of the cartridge. Some people set up azimuth by eye using a small mirror and lowering the stylus tip onto the mirror surface to view its angle. That is a relatively effective way to adjust azimuth but the Fozgometer and a test record with 1000Hz test tones allows you to adjust the azimuth perfectly without guess work.

I own the Fozgometer and have used it to set up both of my turntable's phono cartridges. It is an essential setup tool in my opinion.

http://www.osageaudio.com/images/Musical_Surroundings/Fozgometer_01.jpg

Masterlu
01-18-2014, 03:06 PM
I agree and own one as well. :ok:

edkoz
01-18-2014, 03:27 PM
Thank you all for the reply. This vinyl thing has really captured my interest. And heck I can now add a few more tools (I have a big thing for tools too) to my collection. I also ordered a Dr. Feickert Analogue protractor (very well made).
I feel that the digital side of my system is in pretty good shape (for now :yes:)with the addition of the K03 last year. So now I can concentrate on analogue. The only regrets I have is that I should have purchased the VPI Classic 3 instead of the Classic 1. BUT,,, I just didn't think I would get hooked on vinyl to the extent I have. Just can't help but love the hobby.
So at least now I can enjoy the sound of vinyl until I make my next investment into the world of those big black disk!!!

Bernard
01-18-2014, 03:58 PM
It measures the number of fozgos in the knockulator. I thought everybody knew that. :)

Hehe! Thought that was great! :) I have a Fozgometer; it indicated that the azimuth was dead on, so I did not have to do any adjustment. You may want to get the Feickert Platter Speed app as well.

Number95
01-18-2014, 07:28 PM
I have both Fozgometer and Dr Feikhert Adjust+ software for correct azimuth. Both are useful tools. Having said, Fozgometer only measures crosstalk and channel balance, Adjust+ also measures phase angle which is a very useful measure (in some cases optimising azimuth not via crosstalk but phase angle may yield better results). Fozgometer is easier to use (as Adjust+ needs to be used with a computer with a hd sound card). Adjust+ is a software so you can download the results and keep them, also it is more accurate in measurements since both channel crosstalk are shown at the screen as values. If you have 2 or more cartridges and swap them regularly, I recommend Fozgometer. If you really want to dig deeper and want to check your turntable's wow and flutter, see actual speed, optimise azimuth due to phase angle, learn your tonearms vibration graph, Adjust+ is the way to go.

edkoz
01-18-2014, 08:30 PM
I have both Fozgometer and Dr Feikhert Adjust+ software for correct azimuth. Both are useful tools. Having said, Fozgometer only measures crosstalk and channel balance, Adjust+ also measures phase angle which is a very useful measure (in some cases optimising azimuth not via crosstalk but phase angle may yield better results). Fozgometer is easier to use (as Adjust+ needs to be used with a computer with a hd sound card). Adjust+ is a software so you can download the results and keep them, also it is more accurate in measurements since both channel crosstalk are shown at the screen as values. If you have 2 or more cartridges and swap them regularly, I recommend Fozgometer. If you really want to dig deeper and want to check your turntable's wow and flutter, see actual speed, optimise azimuth due to phase angle, learn your tonearms vibration graph, Adjust+ is the way to go.

Thank you for your feedback. I am just starting out (again), getting into the world of vinyl and I'm finding that there is a great deal for me to learn. I do look at this learning process as a positive. In a very good way, It appears that with vinyl playback you are required to earn your way to the best playback results , with attention to detail, understanding of the mechanics involved and most of all patience. This is what makes this entire journey so much fun. For in the end you are most often rewarded with beautiful music.
Ed

Pojuojuo
01-19-2014, 06:07 AM
Thanks all, so finally the measures are crosstalk and channel balance. Interesting.

One more question, Maybe is possible to get precise Azimuth with a test tone disc (like Adjust+ LP) and a voltimeter taking measures from the phono cable connectors? Isn't it?

Ps. My cartridge has too many Fozgos, indeed... Hahahaha...

edkoz
01-19-2014, 01:44 PM
Thanks all, so finally the measures are crosstalk and channel balance. Interesting.

One more question, Maybe is possible to get precise Azimuth with a test tone disc (like Adjust+ LP) and a voltimeter taking measures from the phono cable connectors? Isn't it?

Ps. My cartridge has too many Fozgos, indeed... Hahahaha...

Pojuojuo
Even though I have not tried it, I would think that if you have a sensitive voltmeter and a cart that produced enough output , you could do it

tima
01-21-2014, 05:01 PM

You need a voltmeter and a test record with a band that plays a 1kHz tone into the Left channel and a band playing the tone into the Right channel. I use the Cardas Frequency Sweep test record.

Set the meter to low AC volts, 5V or less. Place the meter probes into your amp's left channel output terminals. Play the Left channel 1kHz tone with the volume up enough to register around 2V. Get an average reading and write it down. Next, swap the probes to the amp's Right output terminals. Play the same Left channel tone and take an average reading and write it down - this is the 'bleedthrough' channel, the crosstalk.

Next, repeat the above procedure, but using the Right channel 1kHz test tone.

You now have 4 readings in Volts. Convert the volts to decibels. The Wally tool includes a conversion chart to make this simple, or you can google for the formula (http://www.muzique.com/schem/gain.htm). I believe the chart is available with the documentation that Wally has on his Web site. Look for Analog Shop (http://www.simplyblack.net/WVC/tools/shop_std.htm) and a .PDF file.

Once you've converted to dB, take the difference between the readings made with the Left channel test tone to give a number, then the difference for the Right channel test tone readings to give a number. Now you have two numbers. Adjust your cartridge's azimuth to get these two numbers within ... Here the relative difference depends on who you listen to, and how close you want your channel balance to be. I vaguely recall Fremer says within 10%. Wally says within 2-3dB is good, under 1.0dB is very good. I shoot for under 1.0dB because proper azimuth makes a big difference with my cartridge.

Basically you're aligning the stylus to maximize channel separation or minimize crosstalk. Keep an eye on the alignment of the stylus/cartridge. To get the proper numbers if it looks like the cartridge is really tilted, then something is wrong with the readings or the cartridge itself.

It also helps to equalize the output of your preamp before taking the crosstalk measurements. I probably shoulda written this first. You need a track with the 1kHz tone playing in *both* channels at the same time. (Cardas record has this.) Put the meter probes in the amp's left terminals, playing the 'both channels' track, and take a reading. Do the same for the right channel terminals. Then, adjust your preamp's balance control to get the same reading from both L and R amp terminals.

You can also set azimuth by ear! Listen to a female vocalist who sings center stage. Adjust azimuth to get her mouth/voice as small/narrow as you can. Incorrect azimuth tends to splay sounds horizontally, making instruments and voices larger (spread wider) than they will be when azimuth is correct. This method can work too, though you need good sonic memory to make fine adjustments. I prefer the measured approach, if for no other reason that it is repeatable with accuracy - at least it should get you to a starting point for using your ears.

The Wally Analogue Shop tool does basically the same thing with a volt meter but it includes some low and high pass filters to smooth out the meter readings which tend to jump around as the needle traverses the groove.

The Fozgometer is nice because it works directly off the tone arm leads.

Josquin des Prez
01-21-2014, 10:16 PM
If you use the Fozgometer with a test record, you must ensure the record is not dished or warped at all. I used it was getting results my eyes didn't believe. In the end I realized my test record had a very slight dish warp and was skewing results. After getting the test record replaced and testing with the Fozgometer again I got more believable results.

In the end I am somewhat unsure whether this is worth the trouble and effort. I have it and used it, but the azimuth adjustment will only be as accurate with records that have the same flatness as the test record. I guess if you use an effective enough record clamp and outer ring you can have more control, but for systems that don't clamp the inside and outside of the record down to keep them flat on the platter, I'm not sure I would bother.

Pojuojuo
01-22-2014, 03:09 PM
Thanks so much for the complete information tima, very useful. I will follow this steps closely.

Josquin, I have inner and outer clamp so I don't have this problem.

rlw3
01-22-2014, 07:06 PM
I use and recommend the fosgometer, feickert protractor, sutherland timeline, and the wally tool vtf platform ( adjustable plastic piece that allows cart to have weight measured at the same height as a lp) used with a one hundreth of a gram scale. Fosgometer might be better if a precise digital readout instead of analog. Sutherland timeline works best with record clamps or weights that are heavier than the timeline. I blue tack a little jar filled with pebbles and a little water to the timeline and equal the weight of my normal record weight or clamp. lastly I have a dyno-lite digital microscope to see stylus angle.

rlw3
01-22-2014, 07:18 PM
Tima wrote
Place the meter probes into your amp's left channel output terminals.
I wonder whether you want to connect to your amp with all the possible level differences from phono to pre to amp? Or is it better to hook to phono cable or phono pre outputs. Correcting for pre or amp output differences would cause the stylus to be tilted more than otherwise it would be??

jdandy
01-22-2014, 07:30 PM
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7388/8724948962_21a482e044_b.jpg

tima
01-23-2014, 05:41 AM
Tima wrote
Place the meter probes into your amp's left channel output terminals.
I wonder whether you want to connect to your amp with all the possible level differences from phono to pre to amp? Or is it better to hook to phono cable or phono pre outputs. Correcting for pre or amp output differences would cause the stylus to be tilted more than otherwise it would be??

Sure - reading directly off the cartridge leads (phono cable) is optimal and the ability for it to do that is an advantage of the Fozgometer.

With a multimeter I think its a question of having enough voltage that the meter can produce an accurate reading. Maybe there are meters able to read the tiny millivolt output of cartridges with accuracy, but my Fluke cannot. If you can get enough voltage from phono-stage or linestage output, then go for it.

Preamp channel differences is one reason it makes sense to equalize the preamp output using the meter before taking the crosstalk measurements - please see the last bullet point.

Presumably if you equalize the gain from the preamp and use the same amps with the adjusted cartridge then (while the azimuth you set may or may not be right for different amps) you should be okay.

Of course your point works in both directions - if you set azimuth, for example, directly off the phono cartridge cable and there are differences in gain in your preamp and/or amps channels, then what you hear will still reflect that. You should be able to test for such differences with the meter.

I agree having tools like the Foz is a great reassurance and timesaver - its kind of a special purpose multimeter.

If you have a tonearm that makes it easy to do fine grained azimuth adjustments (Triplanar, Graham, etc.) then its really not hard to do by ear using the method described. Which in a way makes sense for the same reasons you mention - we can't equalize the gain receptivity of our ears! :)

dinster
02-17-2014, 08:54 PM
I tried the Fozgometer, and am not sure it does what it says it does. The holy grail is the stylus perfectly vertical for mechanical alignment, perfect tracking and less record ware. The Fozgometer measure electrical output, so if the coils are slightly off axis, or the record is not perfectly made, you make a mechanical adjustment to correct and electrical problem. Don't know what the answer is but am keen for advice. i suspect the stylus should be vertical in the groove, and the electrical output, may or may not be equal between the channels.

Pojuojuo
03-04-2014, 01:35 PM
Right now I have this Fozgometer, without any kind of doubt this is a really useful stuff to get the best sound from our cartridges.

Recommended

edkoz
03-04-2014, 04:08 PM
I tried the Fozgometer, and am not sure it does what it says it does. The holy grail is the stylus perfectly vertical for mechanical alignment, perfect tracking and less record ware. The Fozgometer measure electrical output, so if the coils are slightly off axis, or the record is not perfectly made, you make a mechanical adjustment to correct and electrical problem. Don't know what the answer is but am keen for advice. i suspect the stylus should be vertical in the groove, and the electrical output, may or may not be equal between the channels.

The meter has worked well for me. I had similar concerns as you .While not the total answer, after running the test a few times, I reversed the ICs so they were reading the opposite channel then compared . At least this way I was taking some or the mechanical error out equation By being able to look at both sets of readings. Came out great!

tima
03-04-2014, 04:46 PM
The meter has worked well for me. I had similar concerns as you .While not the total answer, after running the test a few times, I reversed the ICs so they were reading the opposite channel then compared . At least this way I was taking some or the mechanical error out equation By being able to look at both sets of readings. Came out great!

My understanding is this: If the construction of the cartridge is perfect, then the coils are properly aligned for equal output and minimal crosstalk when the stylus is exactly perpendicular to the flat record. We all hope our cartridges are built to perfection! This is the 'model'.

Adjusting azimuth means adjusting the physical horizontal angle of the stylus in the groove, typically by rotating the cartridge/headshell/arm-wand. Doing that adjustment based on electrical measurement of each channel cannot tell if the stylus is vertical, rather it aims at equalizing electrical output which it assumes - per the model - coincides with a vertical stylus. Likewise adjusting azimuth by ear does not know about whether the stylus is vertical - it too aims at equal output, which is heard by the ears as a tight focus (or other descriptions.)

Even if we had a way to measure perfect physical vertical alignment that does not necessarily mean proper motor alignment and equal electrical output if the cartridge construction is not perfect. Potentially there's a trade-off: perfect vertical alignment vs better sound. If the cartridge is made correctly both are reasonable expectations.

Will a record wear more poorly if the stylus alignment is off by 1,2,3...n degrees than if it is exactly 90 degrees to the record? What angle is 'a degree too far?'

I think many of us are after the best sound and are willing to accept an azimuth setting that is small amount from vertical. But, after azimuth adjustment, if the cartridge looks excessively canted to one side or the other then something is not right. Usually that means a less than perfectly constructed cartridge and the answer is to ask the vendor for one that is better. Nowadays, given the price of top performing moving coils I believe we should insist on (near) perfect cartridge construction out of the box!

Does this make sense? Please correct!

Josquin des Prez
03-04-2014, 08:18 PM
Does this make sense? Please correct!Sounds reasonable to me. :thumbsup:

Number95
03-05-2014, 04:13 AM
My understanding is this: If the construction of the cartridge is perfect, then the coils are properly aligned for equal output and minimal crosstalk when the stylus is exactly perpendicular to the flat record. We all hope our cartridges are built to perfection! This is the 'model'.

Adjusting azimuth means adjusting the physical horizontal angle of the stylus in the groove, typically by rotating the cartridge/headshell/arm-wand. Doing that adjustment based on electrical measurement of each channel cannot tell if the stylus is vertical, rather it aims at equalizing electrical output which it assumes - per the model - coincides with a vertical stylus. Likewise adjusting azimuth by ear does not know about whether the stylus is vertical - it too aims at equal output, which is heard by the ears as a tight focus (or other descriptions.)

Even if we had a way to measure perfect physical vertical alignment that does not necessarily mean proper motor alignment and equal electrical output if the cartridge construction is not perfect. Potentially there's a trade-off: perfect vertical alignment vs better sound. If the cartridge is made correctly both are reasonable expectations.

Will a record wear more poorly if the stylus alignment is off by 1,2,3...n degrees than if it is exactly 90 degrees to the record? What angle is 'a degree too far?'

I think many of us are after the best sound and are willing to accept an azimuth setting that is small amount from vertical. But, after azimuth adjustment, if the cartridge looks excessively canted to one side or the other then something is not right. Usually that means a less than perfectly constructed cartridge and the answer is to ask the vendor for one that is better. Nowadays, given the price of top performing moving coils I believe we should insist on (near) perfect cartridge construction out of the box!

Does this make sense? Please correct!

IMHO, if one digs deeper, he needs not only experiment for perfect azimuth angle which balances the channel crosstalks, but also experiment on ideal phase angle between channels given different azimuth angles. The issue is due to cartridge design/making, the phase angle characteristics may vary greatly compared to optimum azimuth which channel crosstalks are almost equal. It varies from cartridge to cartridge and one has to try the optimum settings. The ideal cartridge should give the optimum azimuth angle when touching perpendicular to the groove as well as giving optimum phase angle at the same degree. However it is not the case with many cartridges. IE an optimum azimuth for minimizing channel crosstalks may not give the best sonic results if phase angle at that angle diverges a lot. That leads us to get software like Adjust+ to experiment not only with crosstalk (which Fozgometer also measures) but also with phase angle and try to find the sweet spot. If the cartridge is built efficiently, the phase angle and crosstalk optimized angle should be close.

tima
03-06-2014, 04:33 AM
IMHO, if one digs deeper, he needs not only experiment for perfect azimuth angle which balances the channel crosstalks, but also experiment on ideal phase angle between channels given different azimuth angles. The issue is due to cartridge design/making, the phase angle characteristics may vary greatly compared to optimum azimuth which channel crosstalks are almost equal. It varies from cartridge to cartridge and one has to try the optimum settings. The ideal cartridge should give the optimum azimuth angle when touching perpendicular to the groove as well as giving optimum phase angle at the same degree. However it is not the case with many cartridges. IE an optimum azimuth for minimizing channel crosstalks may not give the best sonic results if phase angle at that angle diverges a lot. That leads us to get software like Adjust+ to experiment not only with crosstalk (which Fozgometer also measures) but also with phase angle and try to find the sweet spot. If the cartridge is built efficiently, the phase angle and crosstalk optimized angle should be close.

Interesting comments, Number95. I've always heard azimuth adjustment described in terms of equalizing crosstalk with scant reference to phase angle. Wally M never mentions it and he's pretty darn thorough, but hey new insights are a good thing.

The Adjust+ information shows a phase angle readout on its display but I didn't catch any info from Feickert about how phase angle is part of 'correct' azimuth or the role it plays. From your comments I gather the Adjust+ software is not only measuring the crosstalk and the phase angle but doing the math to find the best horizontal stylus angle based on both and that best setting may be a compromise between the best of each. And this is something the Fozgometer is not doing?

Do you know if there is a way to cash out the sonic difference between optimum phase angle and less than optimum phase angle when both settings include optimally equalized crosstalk? Does it sound the same (smeared, for example) as unequal crosstalk, or cannot it not be detected sonically from crosstalk?

Number95
03-06-2014, 06:50 AM
Interesting comments, Number95. I've always heard azimuth adjustment described in terms of equalizing crosstalk with scant reference to phase angle. Wally M never mentions it and he's pretty darn thorough, but hey new insights are a good thing.

The Adjust+ information shows a phase angle readout on its display but I didn't catch any info from Feickert about how phase angle is part of 'correct' azimuth or the role it plays. From your comments I gather the Adjust+ software is not only measuring the crosstalk and the phase angle but doing the math to find the best horizontal stylus angle based on both and that best setting may be a compromise between the best of each. And this is something the Fozgometer is not doing?

Do you know if there is a way to cash out the sonic difference between optimum phase angle and less than optimum phase angle when both settings include optimally equalized crosstalk? Does it sound the same (smeared, for example) as unequal crosstalk, or cannot it not be detected sonically from crosstalk?

Hi Tima,

As you suggested, Adjust+ gives you sample results of crosstalk measurements of both channels and also phase angles of both channels for the azimuth angle chosen. There is a provided sensitive sprit level to put over headshell/tonearm to measure the angle so for each half a degree, you get measurements, that gives you a data set or a graph. So, say, you took 11 sets of measurements (from -2.5 degrees to +2.5 degrees, changing azimuth angle each time 0.5 degree), Adjust+ gives you two graphs, one graph showing channel crosstalks and the second one for phase angle characteristics. When you ovelap those two, depending on each cartridge's character, you will decide for the optimum angle to choose. Dr Feickert recommends a compromise angle which in some cases, one has to go with crosstalk but if for the optimized crosstalk level the phase angle showing a divergence, depending on the levels, a better idea is to set azimuth angle due to phase angle. He also claims, human ear is more sensitive big phase angle mismatches. Certainly, an ideal cartridge should have equal or very close crosstalk and phase angle optimum points which means when you adjust due to crosstalk (which Fozgometer already measures), phase angles should also be optimized. In reality, it is not the case. Experimenting is the best way and in that case you need that or a similar software. So far I tried adjust+ (I also have Fozgometer) on two of my cartridges (both Transfiguration Orpheus and Phoenix) and although the graphs suggest their crosstalk and phase angle optimized points (or angles) are close, they are not equal. For instance with Orpheus, (if my memory is not misleading me) the optimized angle for crosstalk creates 8-9 degrees of phase angle mismatch (one should not confuse the phase angle difference between channels and the azimuth angle of stylus/tonearm). On the contrary, if I optimize the phase angle, the crosstalk channel imbalance is 2-2.5db (again if my memory is right), after listening/testing I chose to stay with azimuth angle which optimizes crosstalk. To my ears it was creating a bit better soundstage. But as I said the differences were minor with my cartridges. In Dr Feickert's user manual, there is a database showing lots of different cartridges and in some cases, there is a lot of divergence in characteristics of phase angle and crosstalk.
My conclusion with both Fozgometer and Adjust+ are they are both useful tools. If one really wants to optimize the best azimuth setting for his cartridge and/or using several cartridges and swapping them with same tonearm, Adjust+ easily justifies its cost. It is more reliable, stores the settings/figures in its database which you can access easily, it not only measures azimuth but also platter speed, wow and flutter, tonearm resonance and more.

Bodhisattva
03-06-2014, 07:39 AM
I was wondering if anyone has used the Fozgometer?
No, but i've used a Fonzy-gometer...does that count? :D

http://media.wired.it/uploads/590x330/sites/blog/captcha/posts/47/main.jpg

jdandy
03-06-2014, 12:50 PM
David.......:lmao:

I remember those days.

tima
03-06-2014, 06:51 PM
Hi Tima,

As you suggested, Adjust+ gives you sample results of crosstalk measurements of both channels and also phase angles of both channels for the azimuth angle chosen. There is a provided sensitive sprit level to put over headshell/tonearm to measure the angle so for each half a degree, you get measurements, that gives you a data set or a graph. So, say, you took 11 sets of measurements (from -2.5 degrees to +2.5 degrees, changing azimuth angle each time 0.5 degree), Adjust+ gives you two graphs, one graph showing channel crosstalks and the second one for phase angle characteristics. When you ovelap those two, depending on each cartridge's character, you will decide for the optimum angle to choose. Dr Feickert recommends a compromise angle which in some cases, one has to go with crosstalk but if for the optimized crosstalk level the phase angle showing a divergence, depending on the levels, a better idea is to set azimuth angle due to phase angle. He also claims, human ear is more sensitive big phase angle mismatches. Certainly, an ideal cartridge should have equal or very close crosstalk and phase angle optimum points which means when you adjust due to crosstalk (which Fozgometer already measures), phase angles should also be optimized. In reality, it is not the case. Experimenting is the best way and in that case you need that or a similar software. So far I tried adjust+ (I also have Fozgometer) on two of my cartridges (both Transfiguration Orpheus and Phoenix) and although the graphs suggest their crosstalk and phase angle optimized points (or angles) are close, they are not equal. For instance with Orpheus, (if my memory is not misleading me) the optimized angle for crosstalk creates 8-9 degrees of phase angle mismatch (one should not confuse the phase angle difference between channels and the azimuth angle of stylus/tonearm). On the contrary, if I optimize the phase angle, the crosstalk channel imbalance is 2-2.5db (again if my memory is right), after listening/testing I chose to stay with azimuth angle which optimizes crosstalk. To my ears it was creating a bit better soundstage. But as I said the differences were minor with my cartridges. In Dr Feickert's user manual, there is a database showing lots of different cartridges and in some cases, there is a lot of divergence in characteristics of phase angle and crosstalk.
My conclusion with both Fozgometer and Adjust+ are they are both useful tools. If one really wants to optimize the best azimuth setting for his cartridge and/or using several cartridges and swapping them with same tonearm, Adjust+ easily justifies its cost. It is more reliable, stores the settings/figures in its database which you can access easily, it not only measures azimuth but also platter speed, wow and flutter, tonearm resonance and more.

Thanks for the follow-up, Number95. Transfiguration is a favorite - I have those same two cartridges, though I have not mounted the Phoenix yet.

It is interesting to learn the ear is more sensitive to phase angle than crosstalk. And the Adjust+ is an interesting tool. The you tube video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5UGd2E9s9Q) matches with your description which was helpful.

I'd like to try Adjust+ and wish its manual was on-online. It is a bit more expensive than the Fozgometer and appears to require quite a bit more work though it does give more information. Without having used it, the Fozgometer appears the most straightforward though that's what you'd expect from a single-purpose tool. I've used the Wally Analogue Shop tools for several years. Its azimuth measuring requires using a multi-meter and likewise takes a bit work with multiple measuring steps. You make a good case for the Adjust+.

It is good to see the advances in turntable set-up tools such as the Adjust+, the Uni-Protractor (which I have), its sibling the SMARTractor (recently covered by Fremer), and the USB microscope (expecting to see someone package that with software for SRA/VTA.)

Number95
03-07-2014, 05:39 AM
Thanks for the follow-up, Number95. Transfiguration is a favorite - I have those same two cartridges, though I have not mounted the Phoenix yet.

It is interesting to learn the ear is more sensitive to phase angle than crosstalk. And the Adjust+ is an interesting tool. The you tube video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5UGd2E9s9Q) matches with your description which was helpful.

I'd like to try Adjust+ and wish its manual was on-online. It is a bit more expensive than the Fozgometer and appears to require quite a bit more work though it does give more information. Without having used it, the Fozgometer appears the most straightforward though that's what you'd expect from a single-purpose tool. I've used the Wally Analogue Shop tools for several years. Its azimuth measuring requires using a multi-meter and likewise takes a bit work with multiple measuring steps. You make a good case for the Adjust+.

It is good to see the advances in turntable set-up tools such as the Adjust+, the Uni-Protractor (which I have), its sibling the SMARTractor (recently covered by Fremer), and the USB microscope (expecting to see someone package that with software for SRA/VTA.)

You most welcome Tima.

As you also suggested, I agree that using Fozgometer is more straight forward and easier compared to Adjust+ which you need to have a laptop/pc with a good sound card. I first installed Adjust+ on my laptop and seems it did not work with its sound card, so needed to install it to my desktop (5mt connecting cable was enough to connect to desktop). You can directly get readings from Fozgometer via connecting phono cable to Fozgometer, it is that simple. Adjust+ can not read that tiny signals via sound card so you need phono preamp output.

Btw, Phoenix is really good, but Orpheus is better in terms of refinement. I did not try their new flagship Proteus.

tima
03-07-2014, 06:59 AM
You most welcome Tima.

As you also suggested, I agree that using Fozgometer is more straight forward and easier compared to Adjust+ which you need to have a laptop/pc with a good sound card. I first installed Adjust+ on my laptop and seems it did not work with its sound card, so needed to install it to my desktop (5mt connecting cable was enough to connect to desktop). You can directly get readings from Fozgometer via connecting phono cable to Fozgometer, it is that simple. Adjust+ can not read that tiny signals via sound card so you need phono preamp output.

Btw, Phoenix is really good, but Orpheus is better in terms of refinement. I did not try their new flagship Proteus.

Again, thanks for the info. I didn't know the Adjust+ read from the preamp. I suspect you'd want to assure its gain level is equalized across both channels before starting the cartridge measurements. And thanks for mentioning your laptop issue - my PC is in another room so if my Thinkpad laptop's soundcard is problematic like yours that would be a deal breaker.

Yes, the Orpheus is a delight and someday I'll want to try the Proteus. The Phoenix is my backup, mine is a so-called 'version 2'; I've heard good comments about it and will want to try it at some point.

Number95
03-07-2014, 08:32 AM
Again, thanks for the info. I didn't know the Adjust+ read from the preamp. I suspect you'd want to assure its gain level is equalized across both channels before starting the cartridge measurements. And thanks for mentioning your laptop issue - my PC is in another room so if my Thinkpad laptop's soundcard is problematic like yours that would be a deal breaker.

Yes, the Orpheus is a delight and someday I'll want to try the Proteus. The Phoenix is my backup, mine is a so-called 'version 2'; I've heard good comments about it and will want to try it at some point.

I recently bought Miyajima Kansui cartridge after testing it with a friend's system, it was marvellous. Pity, my second Graham Phantom has not yet been delivered so it is still in its box. Phoenix is also my back up cartridge, I presume my Phoenix is also the second version (same as yours), it is really good for the price, tonality is similar to Orpheus.