PDA

View Full Version : dps/ayre

markc2
10-25-2009, 02:56 AM
department of public safety?

Ayre now makes a power supply for it, and was curious as to whether anyone has heard it yet?

Ayre Product Detail (http://www.ayre.com/products_detail.cfm?productid=17)

Mark

Jerome W
10-25-2009, 04:30 AM
Hi Mark,

This TT was supposed to be on demo at the last Paris high end and for some reason it was not here. I would have been very curious to hear it with the Ayre power supply.
But I heard that the price tag of both is rather stratospheric...
Cheers,
Jérôme

PHC1
10-25-2009, 10:14 AM
My local dealer had it for a few days. Unfortunately I didn't get a chance to go and listen. I did speak to the Ayre rep about it and he told me the story behind it. It is a very nice table but for the price I'll pass and I think one can do better.

gregswaim
10-25-2009, 10:29 AM
I thought that the more hi fi gear cost the better it must be. :scratch2: :D

jdandy
10-25-2009, 11:18 AM
I thought that the more hi fi gear cost the better it must be. :scratch2: :D

Greg.......No. Linn proved that to be a misconception with 30 upgrades for their turntable. After spending all that money, it's still an LP-12. :D

gregswaim
10-25-2009, 11:31 AM
Greg.......No. Linn proved that to be a misconception with 30 upgrades for their turntable. After spending all that money, it's still an LP-12. :D

The model is still a LP12, but it's not the 1972 model-it's much improved.
Have counted up how many tables Thorens has cranked out since 1972? I counted over 100 different ones so far. :yes:

Jerome W
10-25-2009, 01:12 PM

+1 !
Our Dear President is right, as always.
Although I love the LP12, I think most characteristics of the sound of the LP12 have been conserved over the years. Of course, an actual LP12 is better than an old one, but not by the margin of the price increase. This "upgrading path" has been a blessing for Linn's gross. Not sure if it was a blessing for Linn customers.
But Greg is right : the LP12 has one and unique special sound.
Full of softness, warm, and musicality. A sound you don't find on any other TT. I'm still not sure if I won't get the LP12 fully equipped one day, after I will have bought the same XF Jag Dan bought :D !!

restock
09-19-2011, 11:01 PM
A bit late for a response to this thread - I have owned the DPS turntable (without the Ayre power supply) for 3 years now and it is one the best turntables I have heard in a very compact package. IMO it keeps up with the Raven AC or Verdier tables. Of course with the Ayre powersupply it should as it is not that far off in price from these.