PDA

View Full Version : Seeking assistance in locating a professional to do a cartridge replacement in IL

Hans Christian
01-04-2014, 11:14 PM
I have just turned a page in my all McIntosh stereo setup and added a turntable MT5. While I am happy with the sound, it is obvious that the cartridge is the week point but conveniently our Ivan came to the rescue again with a promo offer from Ortofon which I took full advantage of and just ordered the Cadenza Bronze cartridge.
However, I am really a novice and I would not feel comfortable in changing/messing up such an expensive setup and thus I am now asking my fellow turntable friends here if you can recommend a professional to do the replacement. I live in Illinois - Unfortunately it is in the middle of the state (Decatur to be exact which is 3 hours south of Chicago/2.5 hours north of St Louis/2.5 hours west of Indianapolis or 45 minutes from Springfield.
Hopefully someone can recommend someone or point me in the right direction?

In advance many thanks

Hans Christian

jdandy
01-05-2014, 12:58 AM
Hans.......You may have to wait until Spring. :D

http://www.comitini.com/images/park_snow_550.jpg

Hans Christian
01-05-2014, 01:35 AM
The way that this cold spell is developing it certainly feel this way

1KW
01-05-2014, 09:58 AM
It is really not hard to set up a cartridge as long as you have a little bit of patience. Set up can actually be fairly simple if you have a proper protractor for your tone arm.

cmalak
01-05-2014, 12:02 PM
I have just turned a page in my all McIntosh stereo setup and added a turntable MT5. While I am happy with the sound, it is obvious that the cartridge is the week point but conveniently our Ivan came to the rescue again with a promo offer from Ortofon which I took full advantage of and just ordered the Cadenza Bronze cartridge.
However, I am really a novice and I would not feel comfortable in changing/messing up such an expensive setup and thus I am now asking my fellow turntable friends here if you can recommend a professional to do the replacement. I live in Illinois - Unfortunately it is in the middle of the state (Decatur to be exact which is 3 hours south of Chicago/2.5 hours north of St Louis/2.5 hours west of Indianapolis or 45 minutes from Springfield.
Hopefully someone can recommend someone or point me in the right direction?

In advance many thanks

Hans Christian

I believe the folks at Music Direct are right outside of Chicago. You may want to give them a call and have them set up your cartridge for you. They may even be willing to send someone over to your place to do it but of course that will likely cost you a bit extra vs. taking your TT to them. Give them a call and see what they say.

Hans Christian
01-05-2014, 05:36 PM
Cyril,

You are correct - didn't know that they would provide such a service I will call them tomorrow.

Masterlu
01-05-2014, 06:12 PM
Cyril,

You are correct - didn't know that they would provide such a service I will call them tomorrow.

Call them and ask for Bes Niviera; drop my name, he'll take care you! :thumbsup:

rscotth
01-05-2014, 06:15 PM
Call them and ask for Bes Niviera; drop my name, he'll take care you! :thumbsup:

Might have to wait until after CES. Bes is your man, but he's in Vegas.

Masterlu
01-05-2014, 07:34 PM
Might have to wait until after CES. Bes is your man, but he's in Vegas.

They usually don't let him out of his cage. :lmao:

Myles B. Astor
01-05-2014, 10:53 PM
You should give Brian Walsh a call. He is the set up guy in Chicago and among other tools, he uses the Feickert computer analysis to boot.

Brian Walsh
Essential Audio
Barrington, IL 60010
Phone 773-809-HIFI (4434)

Masterlu
01-06-2014, 01:11 AM
:goodpost:

Hans Christian
01-06-2014, 01:16 AM
Thank you everyone - I will get going on your good leads tomorrow and let you know how it all works out

Thank you again - this a phenomenal community!

Masterlu
01-06-2014, 01:43 AM
HC... Most everything in the AV industry grinds to a halt this week due to CES.