PDA

View Full Version : Dennis Had Inspire Amps

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32

pstrisik
11-28-2013, 02:09 PM
Is it permissible to discuss these amps in this section? Dennis is the man behind most, if not all, of the Cary tube products.

He is building single ended 12watt stereo power amps at reasonable prices. I'm seriously considering one:

He just released this one with KT150 tubes!

http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/4294/1d93.jpg (http://img20.imageshack.us/i/1d93.jpg/)

Masterlu
11-28-2013, 02:15 PM
Sure! :thumbsup:

But we don't post links to eBay, sorry. :o

pstrisik
11-28-2013, 03:42 PM
Sure! :thumbsup:

But we don't post links to eBay, sorry. :o

Ok, sorry. And thanks for removing it for me. I'll only mention though, that eBay is currently the only way to order them (new) and directly from Dennis. Easy to find there if anyone is so inclined.

I'm particularly intriqued by his use of the KT150, the brand new TungSol "buck rogers" tube. In corresponding with him, he detailed some differences between the KT120 and the KT150/KT88 which he favors. Mostly about hard vs. soft clipping and more that was above my head!

In conrad-johnson forum discussions, there was wondering and speculation about whether the KT150 could be a drop in replacement for the KT120/6550 that CJ most often uses these days. I asked Dennis about the tube swaps possible with his amps and the following are possible with varying resulting output power, no need for biasing at all, only sometimes the need to change the rectifier tube to go with the chosen power tube:

5 watts per channel - 6V6 output tubes and 5Y3 rectifier tube
7 watts per channel - 6L6, KT66, 5881 output and 5U4 rectifier
10 watts output - KT88, EL34, 6550, KT99, and KT120 output and 5U4/274B rectifier
12 watts output - KT-88, KT-120, KT-150 and 5AR4 rectifier

Jwhcfi
12-06-2013, 08:40 PM
Peter,
Love the amp. I've always wanted to try a SET tube amp but I own Vandersteens and they are only 85 db efficient. I emailed Dennis and he thinks the KT150s will drive the Treos but I'm struggling to see how 12 watts can do it. I'm still tempted and may go for it just to prove it one way or the other. Keep us posted on your progress.

Mikado463
12-06-2013, 10:19 PM
Cool bit of kit, thanks for sharing Peter

pstrisik
12-07-2013, 01:50 AM
Peter,
Love the amp. I've always wanted to try a SET tube amp but I own Vandersteens and they are only 85 db efficient. I emailed Dennis and he thinks the KT150s will drive the Treos but I'm struggling to see how 12 watts can do it. I'm still tempted and may go for it just to prove it one way or the other. Keep us posted on your progress.

I will. I ordered one - in Jaguar Carnival Red :yes:. He's making them to order at this point. So, it will be a couple of weeks, at least, until shipping. There's nothing but skepticism all around. I'm getting doubts in the AR forum at ClassicSpeakersPages.net as well. My AR 2ax speakers are about 87db, though 8 ohms which helps. Even if there's not enough for higher volumes, if I can get sound that wows me at lower volumes, I will either go the way of finding or building 93db+ speakers or finding some Cary CAD508AE monoblocs for that single ended design of Dennis' with clearly enough power.

Fun exploration in any case!

mulveling
12-07-2013, 03:41 AM
I will. I ordered one - in Jaguar Carnival Red :yes:. He's making them to order at this point. So, it will be a couple of weeks, at least, until shipping. There's nothing but skepticism all around. I'm getting doubts in the AR forum at ClassicSpeakersPages.net as well. My AR 2ax speakers are about 87db, though 8 ohms which helps. Even if there's not enough for higher volumes, if I can get sound that wows me at lower volumes, I will either go the way of finding or building 93db+ speakers or finding some Cary CAD508AE monoblocs for that single ended design of Dennis' with clearly enough power.

Fun exploration in any case!
As always, it depends on your room setup and listening habits. I found my lower power limit to be 25 Watts/ch into 93dB/Watt 8 ohm speakers, but then I like to listen quite loud and my room is not terribly small. Those 25 Watt tube amps sounded incredibly sweet, too.

I think classical music at anything beyond low levels probably won't work great with 87dB/Watt and 12 Watts -- but other music (with a greatly reduced crest factor, like most pop/rock) might be just fine at moderate levels or even a bit beyond. Anyways, that amp with single ended KT150 and a 6H30pi driver looks like fun! I love my gear stocked with KT120 and 6H30pi, and I bet the KT150 is indeed better.

fjn04
12-16-2013, 05:45 PM
I'm sorry, but I can't see them driving Vandersteens. I like the Vandersteens, and the amp looks very interesting. I just can't see them dancing together.

sanji
12-16-2013, 06:47 PM
Can someone post Dennis's email address please? I have a few questions for him. Thanks!

pstrisik
12-16-2013, 07:35 PM
I would like Dennis' email also. I've been corresponding with him through the ebay system which is cumbersome.

Jwhcfi
12-17-2013, 12:14 AM
I've only corresponded thru eBay as well.

longbowbbs
12-17-2013, 09:07 PM
Peter,

No way 15 watts is adequate for the Vandy's. You will get sound, but not the satisfying low end that could be achieved with proper amping. I love SET's and a great OTL amp sound, but you will want a speaker in the 96db or better to wring the full measure from a low power amp.

Jwhcfi
12-17-2013, 09:19 PM
No way 15 watts is adequate for the Vandy's. You will get sound, but not the satisfying low end that could be achieved with proper amping. I love SET's and a great OTL amp sound, but you will want a speaker in the 96db or better to wring the full measure from a low power amp.

I can't disagree, however, Dennis was adamant that it would be a great pairing. He also said a good friend who is a Vandersteen dealer remarked that the KT-150 amp would be a good match. I know, it defies everything I "know" about audio. I'm still curious though.

pstrisik
12-18-2013, 01:24 PM
I can't disagree, however, Dennis was adamant that it would be a great pairing. He also said a good friend who is a Vandersteen dealer remarked that the KT-150 amp would be a good match. I know, it defies everything I "know" about audio. I'm still curious though.

As I've said, I'm very skeptical, even for my 87db 8ohm AR's. But Dennis expresses great confidence. Either he is a wizard or is hyperbolic (he does come across this way in his expressiveness). He has such a track record with great design, that I'm giving the amp a chance. Either: 1) it is as he says and it will live happily with my current speakers, 2) it won't be powerful enough but I will get a good sense of single ended sound at lower volumes - enough to take a new path if I like it.

New path is either: 1) build or buy higher efficiency speakers (used vintage Klipsch or a single driver design) or 2) buy CAD-805AE's and be done with it! :thumbsup:

As an aside, I'm wondering what we call this amp. I don't think it is SET. The KT-150's are not triodes; they are described as beam tetrodes. Unless Dennis wires it in triode mode, if that's possible.

The KT-150 is a higher current tube, though I don't know what that translates into in practice. Can it mean that the 12watts it produces in this design is a beefier 12w than other SE designs? I suppose it is possible. My 70wpc C-J Pr11A certainly produces a beefier 70watts than the typical 70watt solid state amp. Why couldn't there be differences between tube designs in this dimension?

longbowbbs
12-18-2013, 07:22 PM
It will likely come down to room size. if you have a smaller listening room (Like mine) then maybe 15 watts can load it properly.

Jwhcfi
12-19-2013, 01:58 AM
As I've said, I'm very skeptical, even for my 87db 8ohm AR's. But Dennis expresses great confidence. Either he is a wizard or is hyperbolic (he does come across this way in his expressiveness). He has such a track record with great design, that I'm giving the amp a chance. Either: 1) it is as he says and it will live happily with my current speakers, 2) it won't be powerful enough but I will get a good sense of single ended sound at lower volumes - enough to take a new path if I like it.

New path is either: 1) build or buy higher efficiency speakers (used vintage Klipsch or a single driver design) or 2) buy CAD-805AE's and be done with it! :thumbsup:

As an aside, I'm wondering what we call this amp. I don't think it is SET. The KT-150's are not triodes; they are described as beam tetrodes. Unless Dennis wires it in triode mode, if that's possible.

The KT-150 is a higher current tube, though I don't know what that translates into in practice. Can it mean that the 12watts it produces in this design is a beefier 12w than other SE designs? I suppose it is possible. My 70wpc C-J Pr11A certainly produces a beefier 70watts than the typical 70watt solid state amp. Why couldn't there be differences between tube designs in this dimension?

Hi Peter,
Do you have a delivery date for the amp or are you still waiting to hear from Dennis? I'm anxious to hear your first impressions.

You're right about the tube ... It's a tetrode. There is no doubt that this amp will not play as loud as a big SS amp but it's about the tone & emotional content according to Dennis. I don't doubt the sound is lovely but is it loud enough? I tend to turn it up the longer I listen. :)

I do know one thing, my 120 wpc tube amp sounds much larger than my 100 wpc SS amp.

pstrisik
12-19-2013, 11:32 AM
Hi Peter,
Do you have a delivery date for the amp or are you still waiting to hear from Dennis? I'm anxious to hear your first impressions.

You're right about the tube ... It's a tetrode. There is no doubt that this amp will not play as loud as a big SS amp but it's about the tone & emotional content according to Dennis. I don't doubt the sound is lovely but is it loud enough? I tend to turn it up the longer I listen. :)

I do know one thing, my 120 wpc tube amp sounds much larger than my 100 wpc SS amp.

Still waiting. I think Dennis is just getting busy. Word has gotten out and it doesn't take much to slow things down since he is building these by hand. On 12/4, he said he was fabricating six chassis (what's the plural of chassis?) and hasn't listed anything on eBay since, so I'm guessing that he is working on direct orders now. I will be away 12/31-1/10, so I probably won't have anything to post until I get back. Even if he ships this week, it will cut things very close, so it will be after vacation that I will be able to spend some time with it.

I'll contact him now and get the status and report back.

pstrisik
12-20-2013, 03:57 PM
I just heard back from Dennis. My chassis is at the powder coater. So it will likely ship while I'm gone. I'll hope to have it here when I return home on 1/10. It may be that my request for custom color (Jaguar Carnival Red) will mean it will take longer at the powder coater.

Maybe someone else will have one sooner and can post impressions.

longbowbbs
12-20-2013, 04:18 PM
Pictures are required!

I love Jaguar Red...:D

pstrisik
12-20-2013, 09:28 PM
Pictures are required!

I love Jaguar Red...:D

Oh yes.... there will be pictures!

Jwhcfi
12-21-2013, 12:44 PM
I just heard back from Dennis. My chassis is at the powder coater. So it will likely ship while I'm gone. I'll hope to have it here when I return home on 1/10. It may be that my request for custom color (Jaguar Carnival Red) will mean it will take longer at the powder coater.

Maybe someone else will have one sooner and can post impressions.

Peter, can't wait ... Have a great trip.

pstrisik
01-09-2014, 08:47 PM
Had a great trip, thanks! Flying home tomorrow. Dennis said he would have the amp finished today and be listening to it. Here's a photo of the bare chasis painted Jag Red........ I love that he sends baby pictures! :yes:

http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/7555/w4w1.jpg (http://img23.imageshack.us/i/w4w1.jpg/)

pstrisik
01-09-2014, 11:17 PM
Just got these!

http://img541.imageshack.us/img541/4931/9p1g.jpg (http://img541.imageshack.us/i/9p1g.jpg/)

http://img827.imageshack.us/img827/6352/y2vb.jpg (http://img827.imageshack.us/i/y2vb.jpg/)

I really love the finished shot. It looks creamy warm like I hope it sounds!

Mikado463
01-09-2014, 11:45 PM

I bet they would 'sing' on my son's mighty Zu set up !

longbowbbs
01-10-2014, 04:16 PM
Peter,

Ah, a Treo owner! That is next on the acquisition list!

Jwhcfi
01-11-2014, 01:46 PM
Had a great trip, thanks! Flying home tomorrow. Dennis said he would have the amp finished today and be listening to it. Here's a photo of the bare chasis painted Jag Red........ I love that he sends baby pictures! :yes:

http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/7555/w4w1.jpg (http://img23.imageshack.us/i/w4w1.jpg/)

That red is stunning!! Can't wait for the first impressions. I've read what I could find about the KT-150 in general. Most say it has all the virtues of the KT-120 but with a "sweeter" tube sound.

I think I mentioned that Dennis said a good friend and Vandersteen dealer thought these amps would pair well with the Treos. Well, I called him and he was gracious enough to talk with me about it. He has NOT heard the pairing but is a Cary dealer and knows Dennis' designs quite well. He admitted that if you want to play really loud with Treos, these low power SET designs would run out of gas but at normal listening levels was sure it would sound great.

One thing Dennis mentioned is that the tube type matters with respect to controlling the drivers in a speaker. I'll quote Dennis here ... "I will say DO NOT go for a 300B, 2A3 type of amplifier for your Treo's. These amps do not have the capability to control the drivers in the Vandys. That is the beauty of the beam tetrod/pentode vacuum tube in class A service with feedback. I have been at this for over 55 years and I love music so I can enjoy many types of reproduction but in my home and for serious listening there is nothing like single-ended tubes."

Keep us posted,
Wes

Jwhcfi
01-11-2014, 01:56 PM
Ah, a Treo owner! That is next on the acquisition list!

Treos are great. If you ever meet Richard, he's a hoot ... No nonsense kind of guy.

longbowbbs
01-11-2014, 04:04 PM
I met Richard in December. I had a great time with him. We spent the evening with his Model 7's. What a genius!

I love his speakers with Cary gear!

pstrisik
01-11-2014, 04:46 PM
That red is stunning!! Can't wait for the first impressions. I've read what I could find about the KT-150 in general. Most say it has all the virtues of the KT-120 but with a "sweeter" tube sound.

I think I mentioned that Dennis said a good friend and Vandersteen dealer thought these amps would pair well with the Treos. Well, I called him and he was gracious enough to talk with me about it. He has NOT heard the pairing but is a Cary dealer and knows Dennis' designs quite well. He admitted that if you want to play really loud with Treos, these low power SET designs would run out of gas but at normal listening levels was sure it would sound great.

One thing Dennis mentioned is that the tube type matters with respect to controlling the drivers in a speaker. I'll quote Dennis here ... "I will say DO NOT go for a 300B, 2A3 type of amplifier for your Treo's. These amps do not have the capability to control the drivers in the Vandys. That is the beauty of the beam tetrod/pentode vacuum tube in class A service with feedback. I have been at this for over 55 years and I love music so I can enjoy many types of reproduction but in my home and for serious listening there is nothing like single-ended tubes."

Keep us posted,
Wes

That's my guess with the AR2ax'. Should sound great at moderate volumes. I don't expect to rock the house though, particularly since my room is ~20 x 26. Everything I've heard though is that SE designs allow for more satisfying listening at lower levels than PP. With my PP setup I try to keep it under 80db.

Dennis commented to me about these pentodes. Quoting him,

I have been using the Northern Electric KT88's very successfully. Nice vacuum tubes that will probably last 10 to 15 years to... gosh the way I run them maybe longer. Anyway, Peter, the fellow who purchased the amplifier I sent you pictures of requested the new KT150's, I will have KT150's on Wednesday. I will be able to test first hand in my design and listen as well. I will advise you which tube I believe is the best choice. The technical specs on the KT150 certainly appear to be a perfect match. I really like the KT88's by Gold Lion and I love these Northern Electric KT88's. I am not a fan of the KT120 tube as it hard clips when over driven. So I will have a verdict in a few days. I have had a number of folks asking me about the KT150's so this will give me the opportunity to test em out.

The hard clipping of the KT120s would create harshness. Softer clipping of the KT150s would sound "sweeter" - both assuming they are driven to some clipping which is probably a safe assumption in a 12wpc design.

pstrisik
01-18-2014, 10:26 PM
Hi Everyone,

I received the amp Wednesday, set it up Thursday eve and have been playing since. This is what I wrote to Dennis:

I love the amplifier! Did some switching around tubes and so far I'm preferring the 6H1P driver and the 274B rectifier combo as well. There is power enough to listen with the AR2ax', though I'm curious what higher sensitivity speakers would do (also single driver). I've had to play at higher settings to get the same volume, but I'm guessing that's expected with lower wattage. I'm surprised how well it produces bass. I've also turned up the tweeter and midrange pots on the AR's to get the same tonal balance. It sounded kind of veiled set for where the CJ was playing. At some point, I'll roll tubes in the SLP-05 (I have a few brands) to optimize them mating as best I can.

I'm still tweaking and acclimating, but I can say my hoped for sound that is easier to listen to/less fatiguing has been realized. It is clearly smoother than the CJ. I'm also getting a bump up in imaging along with more of the woody sounds from horns and acoustic guitars and more of the breath in vocals.

The reference to tubes is the choice of 6N30 or 6H1P for input and 5AR4 or 274B for rectifier. 12 wpc with the 5AR4 and 10 wpc with the 274B, but the 274B is just nicer in sound. Impressive looking tube, too!

longbowbbs
01-19-2014, 04:04 PM
We need pics, Peter!

pstrisik
01-19-2014, 07:00 PM
We need pics, Peter!

OK, I'll upload some tonight. They won't be as nice as the ones Dennis took though. But you'll see it in the wild. http://fc00.deviantart.net/fs14/f/2007/070/c/6/_nod_by_sml_e.gif

Jwhcfi
01-19-2014, 08:45 PM
So Peter,
The $24000 question is ... Can 12 watts get the job done? Is it everything you hoped for sonically? I'm dying to hear SET!!

Also, does Dennis offer satisfaction guaranteed or is it yours to keep?

Congrats,
Wes

pstrisik
01-19-2014, 11:03 PM
Here's a few shots......

First is the SLP-05, then the new Inspire KT150, then one of the restored AR2ax'. My conrad-johnson Premier 11A is below the Inspire. The big tube on the right is the 274B rectifier. KT150's are the twin spaceships. :D

http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/2949/l32f.jpg

http://img541.imageshack.us/img541/6541/dqn9.jpg

http://img542.imageshack.us/img542/2789/myus.jpg

pstrisik
01-19-2014, 11:05 PM
So Peter,
The $24000 question is ... Can 12 watts get the job done? Is it everything you hoped for sonically? I'm dying to hear SET!!

Also, does Dennis offer satisfaction guaranteed or is it yours to keep?

Congrats,
Wes

I'm actually running it at 10watts with the 274B. It is enough power. I'm in a large room and sitting about 10 feet back. Listening ~80db.

Going by his eBay listings, I don't think Dennis is taking returns. You'd have to ask him though to be sure.

pstrisik
01-20-2014, 01:18 AM
Tonight I swapped a couple of tubes in the SLP-05. I was running Sylvania Chrome Domes in sockets 1,2,4,5 and RCA grey glass in 3,6. The RCA's softened things nicely with the conrad johnson. When I swapped in Chrome Domes to 3,6 in place of the RCA's, the sound clicked more in to place. The detail and air is back without adding any edge. I am liking this amp more and more!

Jwhcfi
01-23-2014, 01:26 PM
Hi Peter,

Any more observations now that you're getting to know the Inspire a little better? Are you able to rock out without losing the SET characteristic sound? Would you recommend low power SET for 85 db speakers?

Thanks,
Wes

pstrisik
01-23-2014, 02:16 PM
Wes,

I'm liking the amp more as I settle in with it. Tube changes, both in the amp and in my SLP-05 pre seem to make more of a difference in sound quality than when I have done the same with other amps.

I wouldn't say I can "rock out". I try to keep my listening to 80db. It seems to start to give up some steam at about 85db. This is in a room ~ 23'x26' and listening at ~10ft. So, in a smaller room with 85db speakers, you would probably get similar results. In a room as large as mine, I don't think less efficient speakers than my 87db AR2ax' would cut it.

Another discovery though... I played some vinyl and found some of the "vinyl magic" I have never really heard before.

Bottom line, if you want to go single ended at lower wattage, I would consider your speakers. I will likely be experimenting with higher sensitivity speakers such as the Omega line. In part to get the higher sensitivity, but I am also curious about full range drivers, ie, no crossover. Since single ended is a "purer" signal, ie, not split and reassembled as with push-pull, and with no feedback, the "purer" single driver design seems like a logical extension of the approach.

If I really wanted single ended but wanted to keep lower efficiency speakers or, wanted higher power, I would go for Dennis' CAD-805's. But, even used, we are talking $6000+ for the latest version.

joeling
01-28-2014, 11:12 PM
Mine runs very hot. The chassis was hot to touch. This normal ? I am pairing with KEF LS50 in nearfield application but speaker wire around 6metres.

Regards,
Joe Ling

pstrisik
01-29-2014, 12:02 PM
Mine runs very hot. The chassis was hot to touch. This normal ? I am pairing with KEF LS50 in nearfield application but speaker wire around 6metres.

Regards,
Joe Ling

Are you referring to an Inspire amp?

joeling
01-29-2014, 12:53 PM
Yes

pstrisik
01-29-2014, 03:19 PM
Yes

Ahh, great to meet someone else with one of Dennis' amps! Which model do you have? What do you think?

Tonight I will check the temp on the chassis to see how warm it gets and let you know.

pstrisik
01-30-2014, 01:16 AM
Well, after a couple of hours, chassis is warm, but not hot. I can comfortably put my hands on each side. Warmer towards the front of the amp, but still not at all alarming. All three transformers are pretty cool.

joeling
01-30-2014, 11:15 AM
http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa189/joeling39/hifi/photo1_zps96a3f410.jpg (http://s198.photobucket.com/user/joeling39/media/hifi/photo1_zps96a3f410.jpg.html)

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa189/joeling39/hifi/photo3_zpsa00f386f.jpg (http://s198.photobucket.com/user/joeling39/media/hifi/photo3_zpsa00f386f.jpg.html)

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa189/joeling39/hifi/photo4_zps15850a1f.jpg (http://s198.photobucket.com/user/joeling39/media/hifi/photo4_zps15850a1f.jpg.html)

Tried it in my bedroom study driving a pair of KEF LS50. As I mentioned, chassis was hot to touch so I took it off. Using a Leben CS1000P as its replacement.

Regards,
Joe Ling

pstrisik
01-30-2014, 11:37 AM
I would contact Dennis about it. That hot doesn't sound right. I'm driving 8 ohm 87db sensitive speakers, not the easiest load either.

joeling
01-31-2014, 05:43 AM
I wonder if he offers more models beside this one ? More power would be nice.

pstrisik
01-31-2014, 01:13 PM
I wonder if he offers more models beside this one ? More power would be nice.

I'm only aware of a few. It seems the KT150 is the greatest power. If you go to his ebay pages, or search ebay for "Inspire amplifier" and check the "sold" box on the left panel, you should see 18 auctions that sold in the past. You can see his different models. 12 wpc is the most wattage I see. He has amps called KT150, KT88, KT66, 6V6, EL84, and 807.

I like the KT150 because it has the option of running a wide range of power tubes including most of the above.

My understanding is that it gets exponentially more expensive to build single ended designs with more than ~15watts while keeping up the quality of components. I think his most respected, higher power, single ended amps are the CAD-805's - very expensive to get that 50+ watts.

pstrisik
02-20-2014, 10:44 AM
Been quiet around here!

I had an audio nirvana night last night. I want to use epoxy to freeze all of my settings just like they are now. :scratch2:

I have restored AR2ax speakers. I decided to replace the 40 year old tweeters with the experts' recommended replacements. Wow! Took a few days to tweak mid/hi level settings and find the right tube combos in my SLP05 - back to Sylvania Chrome Domes x4 and RCA Gray Glass x2. Combined with any tweeter break in that might have happened and my perceptual system adapting, last night it all clicked in.

I really love this amp. I'm now talking with Dennis about having him build the matching preamp for it - model LP-2. Will also be in Jag Carnival Red. Unfortunately no remote volume, but I will keep the SLP05.

Report to follow!

Jwhcfi
02-23-2014, 12:01 PM
Cool. I'll be interested what your take on the pre amp is. I've backed off the SET amp craze for now ... My Treos are too inefficient and I like it loud. Maybe a bedroom system is in order. Keep us posted.

Speakerlabfan
02-23-2014, 10:56 PM
:lurk: interesting to see this, thanks for posting.

I'd like to hear this amp.

Justlisten2
02-24-2014, 02:08 AM
Very interesting little amp, thanks for sharing your experiences Peter. I'm assuming when you say 12 watts, we are talking about 12 watts per channel, right? What are the amps dimensions? Has anyone talked with Dennis about making a monoblock pair of these amps? Has anyone gotten contact information for Dennis yet?

I'd like to try one of these amps with my Cary SLP-98P F1 preamp. My speakers are 91 dB sensitivity and a 8 ohm load, my room is 24X14X9. I think that 12 wpc may be enough, though I am currently using a 100 wpc Class A SS amp. Worst case I could bi-amp with the SS amp on the bass.

pstrisik
02-24-2014, 11:33 AM
Very interesting little amp, thanks for sharing your experiences Peter. I'm assuming when you say 12 watts, we are talking about 12 watts per channel, right? What are the amps dimensions? Has anyone talked with Dennis about making a monoblock pair of these amps? Has anyone gotten contact information for Dennis yet?

I'd like to try one of these amps with my Cary SLP-98P F1 preamp. My speakers are 91 dB sensitivity and a 8 ohm load, my room is 24X14X9. I think that 12 wpc may be enough, though I am currently using a 100 wpc Class A SS amp. Worst case I could bi-amp with the SS amp on the bass.

Right, 12wpc. I am running it at 10wpc with the 274B rectifier. Dimensions are 10" wide, 8" deep. Petite thing! I did ask him about monoblocs and he didn't seem particularly interested, at least for now. Contact info is still through his ebay account, radioman731. He seems to prefer it that way and he responds pretty quickly. I have an email address from sending him money through paypal, but wouldn't give it out without his ok. You can look for one of his listings, or you can contact him and ask for what you want. I had to ask special for the jag red finish. He seems to like either that creamy white or black for the ones he's been posting.

Given my experience, I think you would be fine as your room is smaller and your speakers are more sensitive.

pstrisik
02-24-2014, 11:37 AM
:lurk: interesting to see this, thanks for posting.

I'd like to hear this amp.

Ever in Anchorage? Just the next state over from you! :cool:

pstrisik
02-27-2014, 08:40 PM
Anyone have any recommendations for favored EL34 tubes? I would only need two for this amp, but don't want to pay the $100 for the rarer NOS. There are several current production brands including JJ, EH, Tung-Sol, SED, Sino, and new production Mullard that are all under $100/pair. I'd go NOS if not too expensive.

I realize it is amp and system dependent to some degree, but I have to start somewhere!

The Inspire will take quite a few different power tubes without modification. I posted this earlier in the thread:

10 watts output - KT88, EL34, 6550, KT99, KT120, KT150 output and 5U4/274B rectifier
12 watts output - KT88, KT120, KT150 and 5AR4 rectifier

I might try some of the lower power tubes eventually.

Thanks.......Peter

Justlisten2
02-27-2014, 11:11 PM
Sorry I can't help you with the EL34 question Peter, but I do have another question for you. Are these amps self-biasing? I ask because all of the choices for tubes would have more interest for me if the amps were self-biasing. Some tube amps are a pain to bias, and that would limit my tube curiosity.

pstrisik
02-27-2014, 11:45 PM
Sorry I can't help you with the EL34 question Peter, but I do have another question for you. Are these amps self-biasing? I ask because all of the choices for tubes would have more interest for me if the amps were self-biasing. Some tube amps are a pain to bias, and that would limit my tube curiosity.

It is self-biasing or, doesn't need bias adjustment for certain groups of tubes. There are no user bias controls. Dennis has it so different power tubes require certain rectifiers. So that does alter the power going to the tubes, if I understand it correctly. The list of tube combos above are what he provided.

Justlisten2
03-02-2014, 10:55 PM
Peter, I just finished a deal with Dennis. He is going to custom make me a KT-88 (his reco) in the black faceplate with the Jaguar blue paint to match my SLP-98P.

He's a lot of fun to talk to. His energy level is contagious! LOL!! I told him that he had me as excited as a kid in a candy store waiting for this amp. I'll keep you posted.

http://usr.audioasylum.com/images/0/3992/SLP-98P_0041.JPG

pstrisik
03-03-2014, 01:25 AM
Peter, I just finished a deal with Dennis. He is going to custom make me a KT-88 (his reco) in the black faceplate with the Jaguar blue paint to match my SLP-98P.

He's a lot of fun to talk to. His energy level is contagious! LOL!! I told him that he had me as excited as a kid in a candy store waiting for this amp. I'll keep you posted.

Definitely do! I'm glad to see more custom finishes.

Can you share more about what you told him and the rationale of his recommendation? I've been curious about how he sees things.

Thanks........Peter

Formerly YB-2
03-03-2014, 11:24 AM
Are you going for PP or SET?

pstrisik
03-03-2014, 01:25 PM
Are you going for PP or SET?

As De Niro said, "Are you talkin' to me?" :cheers:

Dennis' current amps are all single ended.

.......Peter

pstrisik
03-03-2014, 01:38 PM
Dennis just sent a shot of the preamp, LP2, bare chassis. It is currently at the powder coater's. All I've got so far!

http://img703.imageshack.us/img703/8199/b6cm.jpg (http://img703.imageshack.us/i/b6cm.jpg/)

Justlisten2
03-03-2014, 02:23 PM
Definitely do! I'm glad to see more custom finishes.

Can you share more about what you told him and the rationale of his recommendation? I've been curious about how he sees things.

Thanks........Peter

Peter, I told him about my preamp and I knew he was also familiar with my speakers (Soliloquy 6.3i's). I also mentioned the size of my listening room, and asked for his opinion on which of his amps would work best for me, KT-88, KT-150, Sweet 807, or some other amp. He replied that he thought the KT-88 would work best. Now was this just because he happens to be making a run of them this week? I can't say for sure, but here is a quote from his e-mail:

"The long and short of it ... utilizing the octal based 6SL7 or 6SN7 as driver tubes. Then add in 6V6, KT66, KT88, KT120 and KT150 plus other beam power tubes, applying fully regulated B+ voltage to the screen grids along with the 6SN7 driver stage resulted in an explosive full range presentation that I have seldom heard before. As I further refined the design I discovered the trusty, mighty KT88 is king of the hill for the full bandwidth. I am sure you are aware of the beautiful midrange 300B, 2A3 and 45's can produce but no slam and or serious control of the loudspeaker. Then one listens to a 6550 or KT90 push pull and you hear base slam but what happened to the glory of the mids and high frequencies. Anyway, I believe my new Inspire "Fire-Bottle" KT88 is one of the best I have done to date. Full bandwidth with some serious bass slam along with splitting dynamics and a glorious midrange. A 12 watt package that on a dealer shelf with a fancy thick front panel would be in the $5K range. Oh, put a blue back lit meter and yes $7K plus."

He also said that the KT-88 and KT-150 tubes clip softly, whereas the KT-120 tubes clip harder. My amp can also use KT-120's, but not KT-150's, he recommends the KT-88 over the KT-120's. I was trying to steer him towards the KT-150 amp, but he kept steering me back to the KT-88. So I trusted his judgment and bought it. Dennis also said he would send some photos along the way. I'll add them when I can.

pstrisik
03-03-2014, 03:26 PM
Peter, I told him about my preamp and I knew he was also familiar with my speakers (Soliloquy 6.3i's). I also mentioned the size of my listening room, and asked for his opinion on which of his amps would work best for me, KT-88, KT-150, Sweet 807, or some other amp. He replied that he thought the KT-88 would work best. Now was this just because he happens to be making a run of them this week? I can't say for sure, but here is a quote from his e-mail:

"The long and short of it ... utilizing the octal based 6SL7 or 6SN7 as driver tubes. Then add in 6V6, KT66, KT88, KT120 and KT150 plus other beam power tubes, applying fully regulated B+ voltage to the screen grids along with the 6SN7 driver stage resulted in an explosive full range presentation that I have seldom heard before. As I further refined the design I discovered the trusty, mighty KT88 is king of the hill for the full bandwidth. I am sure you are aware of the beautiful midrange 300B, 2A3 and 45's can produce but no slam and or serious control of the loudspeaker. Then one listens to a 6550 or KT90 push pull and you hear base slam but what happened to the glory of the mids and high frequencies. Anyway, I believe my new Inspire "Fire-Bottle" KT88 is one of the best I have done to date. Full bandwidth with some serious bass slam along with splitting dynamics and a glorious midrange. A 12 watt package that on a dealer shelf with a fancy thick front panel would be in the $5K range. Oh, put a blue back lit meter and yes $7K plus."

He also said that the KT-88 and KT-150 tubes clip softly, whereas the KT-120 tubes clip harder. My amp can also use KT-120's, but not KT-150's, he recommends the KT-88 over the KT-120's. I was trying to steer him towards the KT-150 amp, but he kept steering me back to the KT-88. So I trusted his judgment and bought it. Dennis also said he would send some photos along the way. I'll add them when I can.

Thanks for sharing! :yes:

He also told me about the KT120 hard clipping. That's probably important with low power amps as clipping may very well occur in peak passages.

Curious about the KT88 vs. KT150 though. I think the main difference between the two has been the main power supply which is rated higher duty in the KT150. I can run KT88s in my as well. The KT88's listed earlier used a 6H1P (6922) input tube. The KT150 uses 6H30. However, he says he is using 6SL7 or 6SN7 input tube in your model, so it's a bit of a change. Maybe it makes sense given your preamp. Is it also 6SN7 based like my SLP-05? Maybe that consistency of driver tubes is logical. Or maybe you are getting his latest refinement.

Well, I just looked at his closed ebay listings and see the white KT88 that just sold uses the 6SN7. It is also a different chassis configuration than the previous KT88 (same as my KT150), wider. An added benefit is the white KT88 that just sold is $300 less than my KT150 was!

It's probably all too much information - they sound great!

Justlisten2
03-03-2014, 06:13 PM
Thanks for sharing! :yes:

Curious about the KT88 vs. KT150 though. I think the main difference between the two has been the main power supply which is rated higher duty in the KT150. I can run KT88s in my as well. The KT88's listed earlier used a 6H1P (6922) input tube. The KT150 uses 6H30. However, he says he is using 6SL7 or 6SN7 input tube in your model, so it's a bit of a change. Maybe it makes sense given your preamp. Is it also 6SN7 based like my SLP-05? Maybe that consistency of driver tubes is logical. Or maybe you are getting his latest refinement.

Well, I just looked at his closed ebay listings and see the white KT88 that just sold uses the 6SN7. It is also a different chassis configuration than the previous KT88 (same as my KT150), wider. An added benefit is the white KT88 that just sold is $300 less than my KT150 was!

It's probably all too much information - they sound great!

Yes, my SLP-98P uses (4) 6SN7's in the line stage, and (2) 12AX7's and (2) 12AU7's in the phono stage. That white KT88 is the one that Dennis had me bid on, though the one he is building for me will cost an extra $155. Why he had me use the 'Buy It Now' feature for that ad, I do not know.

I was just thinking that maybe the KT-88 would give me more flexibility as far as tube rolling goes. I think Tung Sol is the only manufacturer of the KT-150, or am I wrong? There are a lot more choices for KT-88's.
I'm also wondering why your amp can use KT-88's, but mine can't use KT-150's. Dennis told me this was because the tube sockets are different sizes. Do you need an adapter to use KT88's?

Yes, the one I bought uses a 6SL7 as a driver. I was unaware that earlier versions used a 6H1P.

pstrisik
03-03-2014, 07:54 PM
Yes, my SLP-98P uses (4) 6SN7's in the line stage, and (2) 12AX7's and (2) 12AU7's in the phono stage. That white KT88 is the one that Dennis had me bid on, though the one he is building for me will cost an extra $155. Why he had me use the 'Buy It Now' feature for that ad, I do not know.

I was just thinking that maybe the KT-88 would give me more flexibility as far as tube rolling goes. I think Tung Sol is the only manufacturer of the KT-150, or am I wrong? There are a lot more choices for KT-88's.
I'm also wondering why your amp can use KT-88's, but mine can't use KT-150's. Dennis told me this was because the tube sockets are different sizes. Do you need an adapter to use KT88's?

Yes, the one I bought uses a 6SL7 as a driver. I was unaware that earlier versions used a 6H1P.

My SLP-05 is all 6SN7's, but he was all excited about the new KT-150 tube when I corresponded with him. Now that I think about it though, he was offering a choice between Northern Electric KT-88's and the Tung-Sol KT-150's at first with the KT-150 amp. He had been listening to the new 150's and recommended them at the time. I haven't tried other output tubes yet, but here is his list of what can be run in the KT-150, directly from the ebay listing:

12 watts output with the KT-150, KT-88 or KT-120 output tubes and 5AR4 rectifier tube
10 watts output into 2 ohm loads with KT150 output tube with 5AR4/GZ34 rectifier

Though I was under the impression that I could run anything the "old" KT-88 could run plus the 150's. Here is that list:

5 watts per channel output with 6V6 output tubes and 5Y3 rectifier tube
7 watts per channel with 6L6, KT66, 5881 output tubes and 5U4 rectifier tube
10 watts output with KT88, EL34, 6550, KT99, KT120, KT150 output tubes with 5U4, 274B rectifier tube
12 watts output with KT-88, KT-120 or KT150 output tubes and 5AR4 rectifier tube

I'm going to double check with him to make sure. I want to at least try EL34's.

Here is what he described in the KT-150 listing about the change from the "old" KT-88:

I have combined a 400% duty cycle power transformer, larger output transformers and higher voltage regulated screen grid power supply in this new "Fire-Bottle" KT-150.

Ostensibly, the increase in power and output transformer capacities allow for the KT-150.

And I'm pretty sure that all of the above power tubes are octal (same 8 pin configuration) so would at least fit physically in the socket. Whether they are appropriate to run, even though they fit, in any particular amp is another question.

pstrisik
03-03-2014, 08:21 PM
Justlisten2,

Just re-read your post. A couple of loose ends...

Tung-Sol is the only KT-150 manufacturer. It just came out about eight months ago I think. And I'm realizing it is only the 6SL7. I don't think it's interchangeable with the 6SN7, but I included that in my inquiry to Dennis.

He seems to like ebay. We'll see if he has me purchase the preamp through ebay or not. At least some of the premium you are paying is for the custom color. The red and blue are one off orders that he has to pay extra for. The white and black he can do in batches.

Justlisten2
03-03-2014, 08:56 PM
Yes Peter, the 6SL7 is NOT a 6SN7. Also, the breakdown on the $155 extra cost was $125 for the Jaguar blue painted chassis and $30 for the custom faceplate.

Who knows? Maybe Dennis is just pushing whatever amp he is batching that week. That may explain why he was so high on the KT-150 when you were buying, but seemed to push the KT-88 over the KT-150 for me. I pushed for the KT-150, I wanted one, but Dennis seemed to steer me towards the KT-88. After having more time to think about it, I think I will be better off, due to more tube rolling options. He also seemed to imply that the KT-150 wouldn't fit on my amp because the diameter of the base was bigger than the KT-88/KT-120. I don't know if this is true or not, but that is how I read it.

The specs for the KT-88 amp look exactly like the specs for your KT-150 amp, both are 12 wpc.

What are the details of your LP2 preamp? Are you looking for it to replace your SLP-05? Does it have a phono stage?

I've basically heard that the SLP-05 is basically just a fully balanced version of the SLP-98, which is why it uses (8) 6SN7 tubes instead of the (4) 6SN&'s in the SLP-98. My SLP-98P is dead quiet, even the phono stage, and I have owned 3 BAT preamps running fully balanced. So for me, the onboard phono stage is more important than a balanced design.

Justlisten2
03-03-2014, 09:08 PM
Alright, I just got a e-mail of clarification from Dennis. LOL! Peter, he must have gotten your e-mail, here is what he wrote:

"I have received a few emails over the last hour or so about your Jag Blue Inspire. I guess there is a organized web site these folks monitor that you are participating. There was a question about the KT150 vs KT88 in your amplifier. The KT150 will work great in your new upcoming amp. The reason I mentioned not to use the KT150's in your machine is because they almost touch each other physically. Which is just fine ... looks a bit strange. LOL It is perfectly AOK to fire up with a pair of the KT150's in your amp. The cost is soooooooo much higher for the same performance as the KT88's in my opinion. My cost on a pair of the KT150's is more than double my price of the Gold Lion KT88's.

Hey keep the words going on the web ... love it!!!! Have a great evening and I'll talk to you soon .........."

So I guess I was wrong, the size of the KT-150 base is the same as the KT-88, and I could use the KT-150 tube in this amp. It won't be the first tube that I'll play with on this amp though. I'm in no rush to try the KT-150, but I may give it a go down the road, just for kicks.

pstrisik
03-04-2014, 12:23 AM
Cool! So you can check out the Buck Rogers tubes! They are expensive though. $100 each I think. A lot for modern production tubes. I haven't compared them with anything yet else. As I mentioned earlier, I'll be trying out EL34's at some point. I have some 6550s I could run. Just something else to get a contrast. It will either be, "Hmm, some good possibilities in tube rolling here". Or it will be, "Wow! That KT150 is clearly better. I may play around a bit, but this is the tube to beat!" Either direction would be positive for me.

Dennis replied to me as well. Gave me the thumbs up for all of the tubes that will run in the KT-88 as well as several possibilities for driver tubes, along with his preference:

The input driver maybe a host of different offerings. The 6H30 is a low mu driver capable of actual power drive. The 6N1P, 6H1P, 6922, 7308 and 6CG7 are just a few tubes that will function well in your amplifier as the driver. Personally my favorite is the 6H1P (6N1P) for the weight in the lower registers I hear.

I'll have to double check what I have in there at the moment. I can swap with that with 6922s I have. I would also have to check, but I think my other amp has a 6CG7 I could "borrow" as well. Roll'em, Roll'em, Roll'em.... tubified!

Justlisten2
03-04-2014, 02:02 PM
Yeah, I may give the KT-150's a try down the road, but I'm in no hurry. I'd probably want to try a pair of Psvane, Shuguang Treasure, or Northern Electric KT-88's before I would try the KT-150's. Though it looks like the amp comes with a pair of Genelax Gold Lions, which I had been impressed with earlier in a VAC amp.

In other cool news, Dennis also just told me that I could also use a 6SN7 as a driver tube in place of the 6SL7. This is nice because I have plenty of 6SN7's laying around to play with, but I have no 6SL7's on hand. He did not mention using any other tube in the driver position though, so I don't know if I have as many options overall as you do Peter. I do like the 6SN7 tube though, so I'm happy.

He did mention that he is constantly playing around with different combinations, not just of tubes, but of other parts as well. Even using some RF parts from his other hobby, radio. Just playing around with the sound. These amps could well turn out to be like snowflakes, where no two amps are the same. LOL!!

pstrisik
03-04-2014, 02:45 PM
I do get that impression (snowflakes). This started out as a hobby for him in retirement but he now seems to have his hands full!

I've tried a few 6SN7's as well (SLP05), but won't be able to use them in my amp. I've settled on four Sylvania "Chrome Domes" and two RCA "Grey Glass", both NOS tubes. The Sylvanias have nice clear extension and the RCAs add some warmth. I also got a NOS Mullard 5AR4 rectifier. I love that preamp! It will be interesting to compare with his simpler LP-2 when I get it. Here's how he described it to me:

The LP-2 ( Line Preamplifier, second version) uses a pair of 6FM7's in the gain buffer stage with another 6FM7 in the DC high voltage circuitry. The rectifier is a 5Y3. The 6FM7 are a dual dis-similar triode vacuum tubes. One section is the equivalent of a 6SL7 for gain and the other section is a lower impedance 6SN7 for the current source output buffer.

I am not familiar with the 6FM7. It's very interesting though, as a combo of 6SL7 and 6SN7.

I like Gold Lion as well. I've had a CJ preamp that used 6922's (Premier 17LS). I tried a few makes and like the Gold Lion 6922's the best among current production. I will be trying one as the input in the KT150. I would probably look at those if I was to try KT88's. Northern Electric 88's are $100 each.

bobrown14
03-04-2014, 04:01 PM
I just built a SEUL amp originally built for KT88. I'm assembling parts for a KT150 mono block build based around the same circuit as the KT88 just more voltage/current. For giggles I dropped in my KT150 tubes I have on hand for the next build into the KT88 amp I've been running in my listening room. Well all I can really say is they were dropped in to test drive and I've not taken them out yet. They sound better than the KT88 GL new issues I had in there, wider bigger sound stage, deeper more controlled bass, just a bigger sound and that's with the voltages set for a KT88. The KT150 can take a bunch more voltage than the KT88. The KT150 wants more current on the heaters so if you sub them in be sure your PT is up to snuff in that regard. It sounds as if Dennis is OK with swapping them into his KT88 amp, you'll get the same power as the KT88 but in my experience with a similar amp to his that those KT150s sound a little better to my ears. I run horn loaded 105dB efficient speakers with 15" woofers so I can hear subtle changes. Usually when rolling power tubes I don't really notice much, very very subtle but in this case I really like the KT150 noticeable in a good way for sure. They cost me $75/tube which I've paid close to that for GL KT88s maybe only $10 cheaper. I'd post a pic of my amp but I'm new here so I don't think I have privileges yet.

IMHO the KT150 for a few more bucks is worth it. I'll be getting some more of them.

Justlisten2 I'm around the corner from you in Mt Airy - you want to take a listen to my amp we could arrange that... best to hear your speakers so I could stop by some time and can bring a set of KT88s and KT150s sub them in so you can hear the differences. I've got my amp set up with a volume pot so you can plug whatever direct sans a TT but I've got a portable battery powered phono preamp I could tote along easily as well ifn's you like vinyl.

Cheers,
Bob Brown

pstrisik
03-04-2014, 05:04 PM
Hi Bob,

Thanks for posting. Where are you finding the KT150 for $75? I see them at tubedepot for $94.95. I suppose they may start coming down in price somewhat when they are not so new.

What you say about the KT150 mirrors what Dennis has said when he first tried them in his modified KT88 based amp.

bobrown14
03-04-2014, 05:46 PM
Hi Bob,

Thanks for posting. Where are you finding the KT150 for $75? I see them at tubedepot for $94.95. I suppose they may start coming down in price somewhat when they are not so new.

What you say about the KT150 mirrors what Dennis has said when he first tried them in his modified KT88 based amp.

I got them from a feller on Ebay he actually lives in my mom's home town not far from me and I kinda know him (small town everyone knows everyone kinda thing). Ebay seller name is "gobble75" I'd post a link but not sure if that breaks any rules here! $149.99 for a matched pair, cheapest I've found anywhere and I looked around. I was going to go tubedepot route but remembered gobble75 had em a few weeks ago, he ran out and recently got some more and currently selling them now.
Cheers,
Bob

Masterlu
03-04-2014, 05:47 PM
bobrown14... Welcome! :wave:

bobrown14
03-04-2014, 05:57 PM
bobrown14... Welcome! :wave:

Thanks MasterLu - that's some crazy gear there! I'll show my wife and that (hopefully) will nip any complaining about excessive gear in the bud. :thumbsup:

Cheers,
Bob

Masterlu
03-04-2014, 06:09 PM
Thanks MasterLu - that's some crazy gear there! I'll show my wife and that (hopefully) will nip any complaining about excessive gear in the bud. :thumbsup:

Cheers,
Bob

Appreciate that! ;)

Formerly YB-2
03-04-2014, 09:49 PM
Dennis just sent a shot of the preamp, LP2, bare chassis. It is currently at the powder coater's. All I've got so far!

Peter - have you discussed a phono-preamp with Dennis? Any chance he will be building a 6SL7 based model?

pstrisik
03-04-2014, 10:04 PM
Peter - have you discussed a phono-preamp with Dennis? Any chance he will be building a 6SL7 based model?

No to both. I use an external phono preamp and just trusted his design expertise, in particular with matching pre to the amp.

Formerly YB-2
03-04-2014, 11:42 PM
An external phono preamp is what I was asking about. The Cary PH 302, which I assume is a Dennis Had design, based on its age, uses 6SL7 tubes.

pstrisik
03-05-2014, 12:16 AM
An external phono preamp is what I was asking about. The Cary PH 302, which I assume is a Dennis Had design, based on its age, uses 6SL7 tubes.

Sorry! I thought you meant phono stage in the preamp. But, still don't know if he's looking at phono pre pieces. I haven't seen any in his ebay listings since I've been following. Best to ask him directly I think.

Justlisten2
03-05-2014, 02:30 AM
Welcome Bob! Cool, you do live pretty close by....and you build your own amps!! Awesome!! :music:

Justlisten2 I'm around the corner from you in Mt Airy - you want to take a listen to my amp we could arrange that... best to hear your speakers so I could stop by some time and can bring a set of KT88s and KT150s sub them in so you can hear the differences. I've got my amp set up with a volume pot so you can plug whatever direct sans a TT but I've got a portable battery powered phono preamp I could tote along easily as well ifn's you like vinyl.

Cheers,
Bob Brown

Yeah we'll have to get together sometime maybe a couple of times. I'd love to check out your 105 db horn loaded speakers, you could probably run them with 2 watts. Then maybe when I get my Inspire amp, you could bring your amp over to my place and we could compare the KT-88 to the KT-150 in both amps.
I'll have to try to figure out how to PM you offline with contact info.

Oh yeah, I do vinyl, that's why I have a Cary SLP-98P preamp, with onboard phono stage. We could also try running your amp direct with your battery operated phono preamp, and then through my Cary preamp. All these tests could take weeks! :whistle:

Cheers,
John McGrogan

antipop
03-05-2014, 09:00 AM

John, you have to be a subscriber to be able to send and receive PM.

You have more details here http://audioaficionado.org/payments.php

bobrown14
03-05-2014, 09:12 AM
Welcome Bob! Cool, you do live pretty close by....and you build your own amps!! Awesome!! :music:

Yeah we'll have to get together sometime maybe a couple of times. I'd love to check out your 105 db horn loaded speakers, you could probably run them with 2 watts. Then maybe when I get my Inspire amp, you could bring your amp over to my place and we could compare the KT-88 to the KT-150 in both amps.

Oh yeah, I do vinyl, that's why I have a Cary SLP-98P preamp, with onboard phono stage. We could also try running your amp direct with your battery operated phono preamp, and then through my Cary preamp. All these tests could take weeks! :whistle:

Cheers,
John McGrogan

Speakers are Electro Voice Sentry III I rebuilt them - crossovers re-foam etc. Yes I would love to do a comparison side by side. I'm getting ready to build another amp specific for the KT150 and I was looking for pictures of Dennis Had's amp you bought for his wire layout which brought me here. Dennis does excellent work you should be very happy with your amp. Did he ship it out yet or is he running it in for you first?

Cheers,
Bob

Justlisten2
03-05-2014, 10:11 AM
Did he ship it out yet or is he running it in for you first?

Cheers,
Bob

He's still building it Bob, I just ordered it on Sunday. I'm sure ordering the custom chassis and faceplate will take a little time. I have no ETA on the amp yet, but I'm guessing it's a couple of weeks out.

Cheers,
John

Justlisten2
03-06-2014, 01:43 AM
Peter, what difference did you notice between running with the 5AR4 rectifier and the 274B? The 274B looks much bigger, strange about the lower output. I've been doing some reading about these regulators in general, and it seems that most seem to favor the 5AR4 because it's slow start ability protects the other tubes in the circuit better??
The 274B does look cooler though. :roots:

pstrisik
03-06-2014, 01:56 AM
Peter, what difference did you notice between running with the 5AR4 rectifier and the 274B? The 274B looks much bigger, strange about the lower output. I've been doing some reading about these regulators in general, and it seems that most seem to favor the 5AR4 because it's slow start ability protects the other tubes in the circuit better??
The 274B does look cooler though. :roots:

Yeah, that 274B is quite the looker! It's a bit easier on the ears for me. I should go back to the 5AR4 again and check though.

I've read the same thing about the 5AR4, but I'm sure that he designed to work properly either way.

Formerly YB-2
03-07-2014, 10:20 AM
For those that might be interested, Dennis is working on a 6SL7/6SN7/5AR4 phono-preamp for MM/MC that should be finished by the end of the summer.

Justlisten2
03-12-2014, 11:14 PM
Just got some pics tonight from Dennis on the progress of my new KT88 amp. He says he likes the color so much that he's gonna have another one made next week so he can keep one in his listening room. :thumbsup:

http://usr.audioasylum.com/images/0/3992/Inspire1.jpeg

http://usr.audioasylum.com/images/0/3992/Inspire0.jpeg

http://usr.audioasylum.com/images/0/3992/Inspire2.jpeg

http://usr.audioasylum.com/images/0/3992/Inspire5.jpeg

Formerly YB-2
03-13-2014, 10:18 AM
Very nice!!
Cannot decide if I want to pick up a Cary SLP 98 or one of Dennis' new preamps.

pstrisik
03-13-2014, 10:22 AM
John,

That is a nice color! Yesterday, Dennis sent photos of my LP-2 pre under construction and mixed in a couple of your photos, so I got a preview of both. :) He expects it to be finished today and setup for listening in his room for an evening before shipping out. Could be he's listening to my pre and your amp at the same time - small world!

I should get a pic of it finished sometime today.....

http://img819.imageshack.us/img819/382/6jeg.jpg (http://img819.imageshack.us/i/6jeg.jpg/)

Formerly YB-2
03-13-2014, 10:45 AM
Peter - Also very nice!!
What is the tube complement in the SP-2?
Am guessing that it is not remote capable?

pstrisik
03-13-2014, 11:11 AM
Peter - Also very nice!!
What is the tube complement in the SP-2?
Am guessing that it is not remote capable?

Hi Glenn,

Here it is in Dennis' own words:

The LP-2 ( Line Preamplifier, second version) uses a pair of 6FM7's in the gain buffer stage with another 6FM7 in the DC high voltage circuitry. The rectifier is a 5Y3. The 6FM7 are a dual dis-similar triode vacuum tubes. One section is the equivalent of a 6SL7 for gain and the other section is a lower impedance 6SN7 for the current source output buffer.

Unfortunately, no remote. I had to think about that one. The thought of getting up and down to change volume was discouraging. But I love his amp enough to want the matched pair as I think these will be long term keepers. I have the SLP05 and will very likely keep that as well. I ordered a decware.com/newsite/ZSB.html . This will allow me to switch between the two preamps going to the one amp. So I can have my cake and eat it, too!

When listening with the LP-2, I can set it to the volume sweet spot and do some limited level adjustment in two places: My streamer/DAC has a preamp mode that engages a level control for the signal it feeds to the preamp. And the tablet app that controls access to my NAS storage has level for the signal fed to the streamer/DAC. So I think I can live with it! http://smiley.nowdararpour.ir/evilgrin/1.gif

Justlisten2
03-13-2014, 01:11 PM
Very nice!!
Cannot decide if I want to pick up a Cary SLP 98 or one of Dennis' new preamps.

You probably can't go wrong either way. Dennis' new one will probably be a less expensive alternative I would imagine. An Inspire will not have a remote, but you also get a tube rectifier, which the SLP-98 does not have.

Decisions, decisions....:scratch2:

Justlisten2
03-13-2014, 01:13 PM
John,

That is a nice color! Yesterday, Dennis sent photos of my LP-2 pre under construction and mixed in a couple of your photos, so I got a preview of both. :) He expects it to be finished today and setup for listening in his room for an evening before shipping out. Could be he's listening to my pre and your amp at the same time - small world!

I should get a pic of it finished sometime today.....

http://img819.imageshack.us/img819/382/6jeg.jpg (http://img819.imageshack.us/i/6jeg.jpg/)

WOW! That looks very cool too! I'll be very interested to hear how you think it compares to your SLP-05 preamp.

Justlisten2
03-13-2014, 01:19 PM
Peter, I've been chatting with a gent on the Audio Asylum forum who claims he has the first KT-150 amp that Dennis built. He said he was infatuated with the KT-150 tube, and asked Dennis to build him an amp based on that tube. He has an E88CC as a driver and is very, very happy with his amp. He says that his 12 wpc KT-150 Fire Bottle sounds more powerful than his previous 25 wpc tube amp.

pstrisik
03-13-2014, 01:45 PM
Peter, I've been chatting with a gent on the Audio Asylum forum who claims he has the first KT-150 amp that Dennis built. He said he was infatuated with the KT-150 tube, and asked Dennis to build him an amp based on that tube. He has an E88CC as a driver and is very, very happy with his amp. He says that his 12 wpc KT-150 Fire Bottle sounds more powerful than his previous 25 wpc tube amp.

Good words to read! Have him chime in over here...

I bet the photo I included in the opening post is his amp and the same design as mine. Is his white?

Justlisten2
03-13-2014, 02:49 PM
Good words to read! Have him chime in over here...

I bet the photo I included in the opening post is his amp and the same design as mine. Is his white?

Yes, he has the crème white chassis. I thought you had a 6H30 driver tube, his driver is a E88CC (6922). Snowflakes...lol!

pstrisik
03-13-2014, 03:38 PM
Yes, he has the crème white chassis. I thought you had a 6H30 driver tube, his driver is a E88CC (6922). Snowflakes...lol!

It will run a number of input tubes including the 6922. Again, in Dennis' words:

The 6H30 is a low mu driver capable of actual power drive. The 6N1P, 6H1P, 6922, 7308 and 6CG7 are just a few tubes that will function well in your amplifier as the driver. Personally my favorite is the 6H1P (6N1P) for the weight in the lower registers I hear.

Justlisten2
03-13-2014, 10:40 PM
Yes, I just heard back from him. He said he doesn't like the 6H30 tube that came with his amp. He said it was "soft and unclear". Then he said he went through a half a dozen 6922 variants before he settled on a Telefunken E88CC. He says he's running a Philips 5R4GYS rectifier tube. I sent him a link of this thread, maybe he'll join in the fun.

John

pstrisik
03-13-2014, 11:39 PM
Yes, I just heard back from him. He said he doesn't like the 6H30 tube that came with his amp. He said it was "soft and unclear". Then he said he went through a half a dozen 6922 variants before he settled on a Telefunken E88CC. He says he's running a Philips 5R4GYS rectifier tube. I sent him a link of this thread, maybe he'll join in the fun.

John

Hope so. There's only a few of us evident, though more out there for sure. This thread, I'm thinking just three of us. Did I overlook someone? Joe Ling, you and me.... so far :thumbsup: Though Joe didn't sound to happy last he posted. You out there Joe?

I just got some shots of my completed preamp. And, guess what, if you haven't seen it yet.... without further ado.. ehemm -

http://img43.imageshack.us/img43/9149/e9c2.jpg (http://img43.imageshack.us/i/e9c2.jpg/)

I guessed it! Here's my new preamp and, I believe, your new amp, playing together in Dennis' living room. Are we related now? 2nd cousins one amp removed, or something like that?

Ok, enough. Here's the best shot of my finished preamp. Will have it next week.

http://img691.imageshack.us/img691/1043/lmrn.jpg (http://img691.imageshack.us/i/lmrn.jpg/)

Here's the amp I all ready have:

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/xq90/827/y2vb.jpg (https://imageshack.com/i/mzy2vbj)

http://smiley.nowdararpour.ir/love/11.gif

Simonatsea
03-14-2014, 12:54 AM
Hello, looks like we are all on the waiting list... I have ordered a racing green 6v6. Looks like your bright blue one was picked up from the powder coater at the same time. Dennis is starting on my amp tomorrow. Love how individual and unique each of these amps are.

Masterlu
03-14-2014, 01:22 AM
Simonatsea... Welcome! :wave:

Justlisten2
03-14-2014, 11:01 AM
Hello, looks like we are all on the waiting list... I have ordered a racing green 6v6. Looks like your bright blue one was picked up from the powder coater at the same time. Dennis is starting on my amp tomorrow. Love how individual and unique each of these amps are.

Hello Simonatsea, welcome! So you are the one getting the green amp. I did see a photo of that when Dennis sent me one of my first pics of the blue chassis. I told Dennis the green looked really cool too. Yeah, the blue is a little brighter than the midnight blue on my Cary preamp, but it should match close enough. Dennis also told me of how much he loves the 6V6 tube, in fact he was using them while running in my KT88'er. He suggested that I try the 6V6 tube in my amp when I get a chance. He says it is a bit sweeter, while the KT88 is a bit more dynamic.

Besides the color options, tube rolling is the other thing that makes these amps so fun to play with. I haven't even received it yet, and I'm already thinking about KT88's, KT150's, 6V6's, 6SL7's, 6SN7's, not to mention the variety of rectifier tubes. Dennis says I'll need a 5Y3 rectifier to run the 6V6 tubes.

Peter, thanks for posting that pic! Yeah, Dennis sent it to me too, and I had to laugh. Dennis didn't talk about ETA, but I'm hoping that it comes in next week. I'm certainly waiting with bated breath. I told him I was drooling all over my keyboard. :drool:

That preamp looks pretty big, bigger even than the amp. How many inputs does it have? I really only use 3 inputs on my Cary. The red looks very cool too. I liked it sitting next to my amp too. I told Dennis that when he's done with his phono stage, I may order a red preamp like yours and a white phono stage, so that I have a red, white and blue rig! :banana:

John

pstrisik
03-14-2014, 11:44 AM
Welcome Simonatsea! Our ranks are growing!

Perhaps a glimpse of your 6V6 chassis!

http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/5553/5rfm.jpg (http://img23.imageshack.us/i/5rfm.jpg/)

John... My guess is your amp will ship the same time as my pre (today) since they both seem to be ready.

As far as inputs on the LP-2, there are three positions on the selector, though five jacks on the back. My guess is three in and two out. I didn't ask as I only need two in and one out (streamer and CD go through the DAC with one connection to the pre plus connection from the phono pre).

http://img208.imageshack.us/img208/7006/ft6f.jpg (http://img208.imageshack.us/i/ft6f.jpg/)

So, red/white/blue equipment, eh? They are made in the USA afterall! But you will have to keep them in order: pre, phono, amp. If you did amp, phono, pre, everyone would think they were made in France! :lmao:

Justlisten2
03-14-2014, 04:52 PM
So, red/white/blue equipment, eh? They are made in the USA afterall! But you will have to keep them in order: pre, phono, amp. If you did amp, phono, pre, everyone would think they were made in France! :lmao:

DAMMIT!!! I didn't think this through well enough!! I don't want to be French!!! :nono:

A couple more pics.

http://usr.audioasylum.com/images/0/3992/Inspire20.jpeg

http://usr.audioasylum.com/images/0/3992/Inspire7.jpeg

http://usr.audioasylum.com/images/0/3992/Inspire8.jpeg

Dennis is burning my amp in with KT88's and his personal favorites, 6V6's. The 6V6 put out 5-7 watts and require a 5Y3 regulator tube. Dennis says the 6V6 is a bit sweeter sounding, the KT88's a bit more dynamic. Oh well, just something else to play with...... :banana:

pstrisik
03-14-2014, 05:44 PM
Very nice! That black faceplate really works with the blue and you chose it, I assume, to go with your SLP98.

That rectifier is an awesome looking tube. It's what I'm running in mine.

By the way, Dennis tells me that SLP stands for "Special Linestage Preamplifier", not "Sweet Little Preamp" as I read around the net. He's calling the LP-2 "Line Preamplifier".

pstrisik
03-14-2014, 07:17 PM
Hey John...... get a fedex tracking number today? Just got mine! :beerchug:

Justlisten2
03-14-2014, 09:50 PM
Hey John...... get a fedex tracking number today? Just got mine! :beerchug:

Cool! Any delivery date yet? I haven't received any information yet from Dennis. I think I still owe him money for the color options. I sent him an e-mail asking about it, but I haven't received any response yet. He usually doesn't reply until very late at night, 12 AM or later EST.

Here is a quote from his latest e-mail, previously he had been talking of experimenting with new rf parts that he was thinking of using from his radio hobby:

Holy moly .... I had some tricks up my sleeve for you but, but , I had no idea how extraordinary some of my RF parts along with .. well just a box of parts!!!!! LOL I have the new mighty Inspire "Fire-Bottle" KT88 playing in m,y home listening room. I sent another email to the powder coater to commit for a separate box of the blue powder just for my account. Also ordered another batch of the special output transformers I had wound for these new offerings. Amazing. In fact a bit scary ..... the presentation has the hair on my arms standing !!!

Simonatsea
03-14-2014, 10:20 PM
Blue looks pretty stunning! I went with the 6V6 on Dennis's advice, he informed me that KT88's would run perfectly as well. Interesting though as you've got some added hardware under the hood as well as larger transformers. Looking forward to seeing my finished product, the Lil Racing green 6V6 is being built today! Peter, I believe we might have chatted on another forum, you have a bit of a collection of SE amps, Bottlehead, APPJ, Inspire, correct? just guessing as I am sure there are not too many Red KT150 inspire amps around.
Looking forward to having something to make my Zu audio Soul Superfly's sing.... They have been pretty hard to amp match to this point....

pstrisik
03-14-2014, 10:49 PM
Cool! Any delivery date yet? I haven't received any information yet from Dennis. I think I still owe him money for the color options. I sent him an e-mail asking about it, but I haven't received any response yet. He usually doesn't reply until very late at night, 12 AM or later EST.

Here is a quote from his latest e-mail, previously he had been talking of experimenting with new rf parts that he was thinking of using from his radio hobby:

Love his enthusiasm!

Scheduled delivery for me is next Friday. Takes a bit longer to get up to Alaska.

So pay up! You might still get yours in sync.

pstrisik
03-14-2014, 10:52 PM
.....Peter, I believe we might have chatted on another forum, you have a bit of a collection of SE amps, Bottlehead, APPJ, Inspire, correct? just guessing as I am sure there are not too many Red KT150 inspire amps around.....

Maybe not. The Inspire is my first SE amp. I have a conrad-johnson and had other c-j, gone now. Would be interesting if someone else made the same choice!

Simonatsea
03-14-2014, 11:05 PM
Oh well, I'm sure the numbers are still very limited in all colours. Interested in what kind of tweaks from his Box of parts made it into your amp.... Cant wait to hear that my little 6v6 is making music.... Never had so much fun with ordering an amp! I'll have to learn how to post pics once I've got an update.

Justlisten2
03-15-2014, 12:20 AM
Love his enthusiasm!

Scheduled delivery for me is next Friday. Takes a bit longer to get up to Alaska.

So pay up! You might still get yours in sync.

Yes, his enthusiasm is contagious, and is what makes this so much fun!!

I just received my nightly e-mail from Dennis, I paid up and he says it will ship out on Monday. I'm in Pennsylvania, much closer to NC than Alaska, so maybe mine will still arrive by Friday too!! LOL! I do hope it will be here next week. The wife will be surprised!! :faint:

Tonight's e-mail was mostly about basketball, as Dennis and his wife are very excited about the progress of NC State in the ACC tourney. They've been fans for 30 years now.

He did mention that recent owners of a KT88 and KT 66 sent him e-mails of love. He also mentioned that the KT88 owner said:

I have the KT88's in your amp as it is running now full steam ahead in my home listening room. I want one of dem dar blue amrafriers. :crowd:

Justlisten2
03-15-2014, 12:31 AM
Ok, enough. Here's the best shot of my finished preamp. Will have it next week.

http://img691.imageshack.us/img691/1043/lmrn.jpg (http://img691.imageshack.us/i/lmrn.jpg/)

Here's the amp I all ready have:

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/xq90/827/y2vb.jpg (https://imageshack.com/i/mzy2vbj)

http://smiley.nowdararpour.ir/love/11.gif

Peter, those two units are gonna look AWESOME together!! I love it! I'd consider the preamp, but I really like having the phono stage and preamp in one box (SLP-98P).

Before deciding to buy Dennis' amp, I was actually considering moving to an integrated amp. I've done that whole separates thing to death. Two chassis phono stages, two chassis preamps, monoblock amps, etc....I'm trying to reduce some clutter now, not add. Though if this amp sounds great, and Dennis ever decides to do monoblocks.....I may be tempted. :naughty:

longbowbbs
03-15-2014, 04:22 PM
How are you guys contacting Dennis? I need a Phono amp to pair with my SLI-80.

pstrisik
03-15-2014, 05:35 PM
Dennis said I could give out his email, though I won't post it publicly on the forum. Either PM me on audiocircle or avsforum (username: pstrisik) or post a way for me to contact you and I'll pass it on. You can also contact him through his eBay account.

Coltrane1
03-16-2014, 12:50 PM
This thread, I'm thinking just three of us. Did I overlook someone? Joe Ling, you and me.... so far :thumbsup: Though Joe didn't sound to happy last he posted. You out there Joe?

Er was Joe the Dennis Hopper wiry fellow I just passed in the hallway who insisted he's talkin' the way he is becuz he just spent 5 minutes on the phone with Dennis Had, and now he's "all pumped up!" :banana:

That infectious energy is contagious stuff ya know. :D

Hello all. Having recently been searching for a new SET integrated, and then later having a chance discovery of DH's Inspire products, and after having bought both the Inspire KT88, and the 6V6, and the LS2, and finally having read every word of this thread...I have to ask - how'd I get here? :)

At any rate - greeting's from Seattle!

Looks like several of you have had the same conversation with DH that I had.

C1

Coltrane1
03-16-2014, 03:11 PM
So, I'm searching for web info on DH's Inspire amps, and next thing I know I discover this thread and a whole new audio forum.

Btw...I love the red and blue chassis treatments...nice touch guys! The Jaguar red reminds me of a Melody integrated I recently viewed. So, has anyone here actually heard an Inspire product? :)

pstrisik
03-16-2014, 03:17 PM
So, I'm searching for web info on DH's Inspire amps, and next thing I know I discover this thread and a whole new audio forum.

Greeting's all from Seattle - Oh and it's raining! :)

Welcome from Anchorage - Oh and it's snowing! :) (got 8" yesterday)

As you've found, no website. The best info is Dennis' eBay listings - search for listings by radioman731 and click on the "sold" checkbox on the left to see all his variations on amps so far - or from Dennis himself.

Masterlu
03-16-2014, 04:19 PM
Coltrane1... Welcome :wave:

Thanks for your Support! :thumbsup:

Coltrane1
03-16-2014, 04:44 PM
Welcome from Anchorage - Oh and it's snowing! :) (got 8" yesterday)

As you've found, no website. The best info is Dennis' eBay listings - search for listings by radioman731 and click on the "sold" checkbox on the left to see all his variations on amps so far - or from Dennis himself.

Thanks pstrisik!

Yes, I have DH's personal email. He emails you directly after buying on that 'bay place. But I'm still waiting to hear the product, and become, well, inspired! hey hey, there's a party o'va here, a party o'va there! :banana:

don't mind me...too much Sockeye Salmon for lunch!

Simonatsea
03-16-2014, 04:45 PM
His enthusiasm is rather infectious. Look forward to hearing the thoughts on his LP-2. At present I'll be feeding the 6V6 amp via my Burson Audio HA-160D head amp/DAC/Pre. Other than my Phono stage this is going to significantly simplify my system.
Coltrane1 - Greeting from Victoria BC! When you talked to Dennis, what made you decide to go for both the KT88 and the 6V6? Power output? He has assured me that the way he designed the 6V6 you can plug and play KT88 without further changes to the tube compliment.
I don't really require that much power to run my speakers at 101db/w.
Well, looking forward to hearing some initial impressions of DH handy work. I believe my build is still ongoing, no baby pics as yet

longbowbbs
03-16-2014, 05:24 PM
Dennis said I could give out his email, though I won't post it publicly on the forum. Either PM me on audiocircle or avsforum (username: pstrisik) or post a way for me to contact you and I'll pass it on. You can also contact him through his eBay account: radioman731.

AVS PM sent....

Coltrane1
03-16-2014, 05:52 PM
His enthusiasm is rather infectious. Look forward to hearing the thoughts on his LP-2. At present I'll be feeding the 6V6 amp via my Burson Audio HA-160D head amp/DAC/Pre. Other than my Phono stage this is going to significantly simplify my system.
Coltrane1 - Greeting from Victoria BC! When you talked to Dennis, what made you decide to go for both the KT88 and the 6V6? Power output? He has assured me that the way he designed the 6V6 you can plug and play KT88 without further changes to the tube compliment.
I don't really require that much power to run my speakers at 101db/w.
Well, looking forward to hearing some initial impressions of DH handy work. I believe my build is still ongoing, no baby pics as yet

That man...I don't know how he's filling all these orders by his lonesome...that's some trick...retirement, yeah right!

DH steered me towards the 6V6 after I poo-poo'd the idea of separates having become a SET integ guy after years of high powered Class A separates pushing 'stats. I've driven Abby's to pleasing levels with barely 3 watts...my old jazz ears don't require much volume. But Dennis sold me on his long history with 300B's, and his new fangled amp designs...so I said why not...it's only money.

I'm looking forward to sampling the LP2---too! I bought the 6v6, and then after the fact realizing, hey man, you haven't owned a pre in years...so I began a search for a pre and what happened??? A relatively new Inspire owner posted a KT88 and a LS2 for sale...how could I resist?...even though my power demands don't need the KT88...oh well, I'll just run it on my 'stat's...I'm confident it will drive 'em.

Coltrane1
03-16-2014, 05:57 PM
Coltrane1... Welcome :wave:

Thanks for your Support! :thumbsup:

Thanks Ivan...for being here! :thumbsup:

Justlisten2
03-16-2014, 06:07 PM
That man...I don't know how he's filling all these orders by his lonesome...that's some trick...retirement, yeah right!

Welcome Coltrane1!! Yeah, that's what I've been wondering about too! This is retirement?? It seems like he's awfully busy to me! LOL!! :split:

Hard to believe that you picked up a Inspire combination on the used market already. What was the sellers story? He didn't care for them?
What do you think of the LP-2?

Cheers,
John

Coltrane1
03-16-2014, 06:27 PM
Welcome Coltrane1!! Yeah, that's what I've been wondering about too! This is retirement?? It seems like he's awfully busy to me! LOL!! :split:

Hard to believe that you picked up a Inspire combination on the used market already. What was the sellers story? He didn't care for them?
What do you think of the LP-2?

Cheers,
John

Thank you John.

Hah! Here I was several days after buying the 6V6, unexpectedly searching for a pre, since I'd been determined to get back in the game after a 7 year audio hiatus with another SET integ...I was a hair's breath from pulling the trigger on a 211 based SET integ...and one last check of the 'bay I stumbled on DH's KT88 ad. My immediate thought was, nope, I don't need the power of a KT88...besides, I want the addicting pureness of a SET...and 2 short email exchanges later DH filled me with curiosity.

Finding that seller was destiny. His ad mentioned he "had too much gear"...the LP2 was just produced in February, and the KT88 was made late '13. At any rate, the LP2's availability cured my natural inclination to mate the 6V6 with once again another BAT preamp.

....fingers X'd.

Justlisten2
03-16-2014, 06:42 PM
Another BAT preamp? You too huh?
I've owned the VK-31SE, VK-50 SE and VK-51SE. I also had the VK-3iXSE and VK-32SE in my home for auditions. I've also owned two each of BAT phono stages, CDP's and Amps. LOL!! I've owned 9 BAT units all together over the years, though none in the last 4 years. Fun times overall, and I did enjoy the BAT house sound....too many expensive repair issues though. :tears:

Coltrane1
03-16-2014, 06:56 PM
Another BAT preamp? You too huh?
I've owned the VK-31SE, VK-50 SE and VK-51SE. I also had the VK-3iXSE and VK-32SE in my home for auditions. I've also owned two each of BAT phono stages, CDP's and Amps. LOL!! I've owned 9 BAT units all together over the years, though none in the last 4 years. Fun times overall, and I did enjoy the BAT house sound....too many expensive repair issues though. :tears:

Whew, you've owned some of their best. Knock on wood...since '98, I never once had a repair issue other than cranking too tightly on one of the speaker lugs to VK1000 mono's. Victor hooked me up at no cost...what a company.

I miss that friendly user interface.

Formerly YB-2
03-16-2014, 09:43 PM
Welcome Simonatsea! Our ranks are growing!

Perhaps a glimpse of your 6V6 chassis!

http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/5553/5rfm.jpg (http://img23.imageshack.us/i/5rfm.jpg/)

Anyone know what piece of gear the white chassis on the far left will become?

Yes, you would be fortunate to be French. Best wine, food and healthcare on the planet.

Justlisten2
03-16-2014, 10:16 PM
Anyone know what piece of gear the white chassis on the far left will become?

Maybe a sneak peek at the phono stage that Dennis is working on? It looks like 4 small signal tubes in the front, with two larger holes in the back for a rectifier and the capacitor??? I don't know, I'm just guessing. :scratch2:

Simonatsea
03-16-2014, 10:44 PM
I have some pics of my racing green 6V6 newly built, Dennis has made some changes to the circuit, looks more akin to the KT88 under the hood now. Anybody know how to post pics? new to the forum, may not have the rights....
Cheers

Formerly YB-2
03-17-2014, 06:51 AM
For pic's most folks seem to use a pic hosting service like PhotoBucket and put the link into this box.

The alternative is to click on the 'Go Advanced' button and scroll down to the 'Manage Attachments' and click on that. Uploads a thumbnail of your pic which the viewer opens by clicking on same.

Simonatsea
03-17-2014, 12:15 PM
So here are the finished pics of my 6V6 amplifier, apparently this is an all new circuit for this amp. The ebay pics and previous listings show a much "Simpler" circuit. The price has risen for the 6V6 on Ebay to $1100. this may be the reason. Dennis installed special 16ohm output transformers to run my Zu audio soul superfly's.
I believe the chassis in the picture with the four small tubes is the EL84 amplifier, you can see it on his previous bay listings. I too look forward to a phone stage option....

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p196/simonatsea/DSCF8004_zps3cd790e1.jpeg (http://s128.photobucket.com/user/simonatsea/media/DSCF8004_zps3cd790e1.jpeg.html)
http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p196/simonatsea/DSCF8013_zps6d42f12f.jpeg (http://s128.photobucket.com/user/simonatsea/media/DSCF8013_zps6d42f12f.jpeg.html)

Coltrane1
03-17-2014, 02:33 PM
You folks with the custom colors are changing the entire portfolio for DH's amps, for what builder does one go to for a custom color. Way to go DH!

Yes, judging by his ebay feedback prices have been steadily rising over the past 24 months. Better to buy now than later.

pstrisik
03-17-2014, 03:00 PM
So here are the finished pics of my 6V6 amplifier, apparently this is an all new circuit for this amp. The ebay pics and previous listings show a much "Simpler" circuit. The price has risen for the 6V6 on Ebay to $1100. this may be the reason. Dennis installed special 16ohm output transformers to run my Zu audio soul superfly's.
I believe the chassis in the picture with the four small tubes is the EL84 amplifier, you can see it on his previous bay listings. I too look forward to a phone stage option....

Good call! Here's the photo:

http://img607.imageshack.us/img607/2861/djli.jpg (http://img607.imageshack.us/i/djli.jpg/)

Nice amp, yours! That visible cap has a 2% tolerance. If it's any indication, a sign of quality. I just bought some ClarityCap ESA series caps (their second best) for my AR2ax xovers and they have a 3% tolerance.

Justlisten2
03-17-2014, 03:31 PM

Awesome pics Simonatsea!! Man, Dennis is really coming up with some beautiful looking amps in a vast array of colors. Yea Dennis!!! :banana:

Lord knows this hobby can use a little fun-injection!! Speaking of fun injection, I got my Fed Ex tracking number from Dennis today.....estimated delivery......are you ready for this?

Estimated delivery Thursday, Mar. 6 - Wednesday, Mar. 12

Ummmm.......yeah, about that. :scratch2: LOL!!

BTW, good call on the EL84 amp Simonatsea!! :thumbsup:

Simonatsea
03-17-2014, 05:25 PM
Here is what Dennis had to say about the high impedance transformers he put into my Amplifier upon request. I am sure he raves about all his creations, I do however the the fact that each one seems to be very unique.

Fwd;
I don't know if it is the higher impedance winding or the green powder coat but your amp sounds absolutely incredable. In my home listening room I am driving a pair of the Tannoy Kensington SE loudspeakers and a separate pair of 15" passive woofers I built. The impedance is down in the 3 ohm range ..... it just simply never amazes me on this audio stuff ... forget the test instruments and theory LOL !! Of course this is part of the beauty of a single-ended amplifier. Run it into any load and have at it. These amps just keep havin at it! You are in for a treat. Good thing I requested 4 more pair of the higher output impedance transformers from the transformer folks. I need a pair for ME! I have three different transformer sources I use. You have a special wind!

Coltrane1
03-17-2014, 10:09 PM
"it just simply never amazes me on this audio stuff ... forget the test instruments and theory LOL !! Of course this is part of the beauty of a single-ended amplifier. Run it into any load and have at it."

I can totally relate to where DH is coming from. Notice the floor amp stand featuring a 300B SET integrated, rated at 8 watts, driving a pair of CLZiiz electrostats, that commonly dip down to a 2ohm load, and below. I connected the integ out of curiosity...1 o'clock was max volume for my ears...amazingly the SET, a modified Grant Fidelity import, easily drove this pair of 'stats which had a well known reputation for being very troublesome towards anything but a higher powered Class A solid state amp.

http://i1192.photobucket.com/albums/aa334/bluenote1/audio/d0384b51.jpg

Simonatsea
03-18-2014, 01:16 AM
So far I have yet to find real synergy within my system. My Mcintosh Ma-230, I thought would be the perfect fit but she is proving difficult in her old age. Back into the who for a new volume pot. Looking forward to seeing how a DH inspire fits with your system. Dennis posted a green 6V6 on ebay for St. Patty's day, sold in a couple of hours.... Retirement, wow, I think he has found something to keep him busy! Pretty amazing to have such a personalized build, Hopefully he is at it for a while yet.
Beautiful listening room btw....

Coltrane1
03-18-2014, 01:53 PM
So far I have yet to find real synergy within my system. My Mcintosh Ma-230, I thought would be the perfect fit but she is proving difficult in her old age. Back into the who for a new volume pot. Looking forward to seeing how a DH inspire fits with your system. Dennis posted a green 6V6 on ebay for St. Patty's day, sold in a couple of hours.... Retirement, wow, I think he has found something to keep him busy! Pretty amazing to have such a personalized build, Hopefully he is at it for a while yet.
Beautiful listening room btw....

Thank you. It's a small room...I've downsized homes for retirement, having given up a former fairly large listening room. But doing so opened my mind to exploring other types of gear beyond Class A solid state...SET integrated's for starters.

There was an Inspire KT88 listed today that sold in a matter of hours as well. DH, if you keep this up, you're going to have to hire some help. My Inspire KT88 and LS2 preamp arrive tomorrow...pics and first impressions to come.

antipop
03-18-2014, 04:01 PM
I'm wondering if I'm not going to order one for my system :scratch2:

Can he do 220V ?

Simonatsea
03-18-2014, 05:21 PM
I'm wondering if I'm not going to order one for my system :scratch2: Can he do 220V ?

He orders his own custom wound transformers so I'd dare to say that 220v would not be out of the question. Something he would be more than happy to answer you on, he's a very nice man. He had a Green 6v6 on the bay for St. Patty's day, only lasted a few hours....

antipop
03-18-2014, 06:37 PM
Awesome, now I wonder what would be the best match for my system. The Manley are based on EL34 so I'm thinking of going with a KT88 or higher. I don't know what the 6v6 are like

Justlisten2
03-18-2014, 07:41 PM
Awesome, now I wonder what would be the best match for my system. The Manley are based on EL34 so I'm thinking of going with a KT88 or higher. I don't know what the 6v6 are like

I don't know what the 6V6's are like either, but I'm about to find out. Dennis just sent me an e-mail asking me to start with the 6V6 tubes first, before I use the KT88's. After he was kind enough to include them, what could I say? Sure I will.
By the way, I asked Dennis with all of these cool custom colors coming out....can purple haze be far behind??? :music:

antipop
03-19-2014, 08:51 AM
I'll love to get your feedback once you get it.

BTW, what is the process with Dennis ? Do you purchase it on eBay and then contact him or do you talk to him before ?

Too bad for the green one, it would have matched my living room perfectly :)

pstrisik
03-19-2014, 10:30 AM
I'll love to get your feedback once you get it.

BTW, what is the process with Dennis ? Do you purchase it on eBay and then contact him or do you talk to him before ?

Too bad for the green one, it would have matched my living room perfectly :)

You can approach purchasing either way. If you like the listing that is up, buy it. Or you can contact him and have him build for you what you want. He lists that piece on eBay when it is finished and you "buy it now". At least that is how he did with me.

So, you can order green if that's what you want - so far I've seen, white, cream, black, red, blue, green. And, John, purple would definitely be awesome! :rock-on:

antipop
03-19-2014, 04:32 PM
Thanks Peter, I'll definitively do that

Justlisten2
03-19-2014, 07:23 PM
So, you can order green if that's what you want - so far I've seen, white, cream, black, red, blue, green. And, John, purple would definitely be awesome! :rock-on:

Damn straight Peter!! Here's what Jaguar Purple might look like!! :pg2:

http://www.carnewschina.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/jaguar-xf-purple-china-1.jpg

http://www.carnewschina.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/jaguar-xf-purple-china-2.jpg

pstrisik
03-19-2014, 07:47 PM
Wow! That can't be a factory color - is it? Your car? It would look great on one of Dennis' chassis (still don't know the plural of chassis - I'll go look it up since this is the second time I've needed it!).

Reminds me of a bumper sticker in my mechanic's shop (no offense meant to anyone):

"The parts falling off this car are of the finest British workmanship."

Probably would be more applicable in the old days. My father had a Jaguar Racing Green '66 XKE (new).

Edit: plural of chassis is....... chassis. :scratch2: Different pronounciation: chassee vs. chasseez. Now I know!

Justlisten2
03-19-2014, 10:01 PM
Wow! That can't be a factory color - is it? Your car?

LOL! No, not mine, but I wouldn't mind pimping around town in that baby. :yes:

It's a custom paint job in China.

Jaguar XF is shiny purple in China | CarNewsChina.com - China Auto News (http://www.carnewschina.com/2013/02/10/jaguar-xf-is-shiny-purple-in-china/)

Coltrane1
03-19-2014, 10:17 PM
KT88 and LP2 arrive...Time to get this FIRE started! :banana:

http://i1192.photobucket.com/albums/aa334/bluenote1/IMG_8007_zps728b6823.jpg

http://i1192.photobucket.com/albums/aa334/bluenote1/IMG_7969_zpsf472f8a2.jpg

http://i1192.photobucket.com/albums/aa334/bluenote1/IMG_8018_zps1b86cc1c.jpg

http://i1192.photobucket.com/albums/aa334/bluenote1/IMG_8004_zps31ab72c7.jpg

pstrisik
03-19-2014, 11:03 PM
Yeee haahhhhhhh!

Sure are pretty! My LP-2 is on its way up here - scheduled on Friday. Would love to read your initial review before I set it up... hint, hint. http://smiley.nowdararpour.ir/evilgrin/21.gif

Simonatsea
03-20-2014, 01:54 AM
Look forward to your impressions, really do look stunning!

Coltrane1
03-20-2014, 02:00 AM
Yeee haahhhhhhh!

Sure are pretty! My LP-2 is on its way up here - scheduled on Friday. Would love to read your initial review before I set it up... hint, hint. http://smiley.nowdararpour.ir/evilgrin/21.gif

Very kewl Peter. Anticipation is a good thing. I received a new jazz archtop delivery via FedEx less than 20 minutes after delivery of the Inspire gear. I don't dare open the case, not even for a peek. Nitro celluose lacquer this time of the year requires acclimating to its new environment. I'll leave it to settle in over night, allowing the case, and the archtop inside, to gradually warm to the temperature of its new room...So, you're not waiting alone....anticipation...good stuff! :thumbsup:

As a heads up, my Pre came with no manual. The previous owner said there was none. That's fine, but of course there's no markings on the 5 sets of rear RCA's. Hmmm...my guess was the 2 sets of posts nearest the transformer and plug were preouts 1 and 2..and looking right to left, from behind the pre, were CD, Aux1 and Aux2 inputs. I guessed right.

The first thing that struck me was, their size wins the blue ribbon for the tiniest amp and preamp I've ever seen, much less owned. Each chassis, pre and amp, at 10" wide the pair could easily fit side by side on one shelf of my Lovan stand....but of course it's best for each to occupy a shelf of their own to aide in heat dissipation.

This amp was built in late October of '13, and the pre was built 4 weeks ago...so I'm assuming the pre isn't yet fully broken in.

Nonetheless, after an hour warmup time, spinning my old faithful sound reference recording, a Miles Davis' 'Kind Of Blue' 180gr LP, and playback via the Abby's, this LP is as musical as its ever been. Coltrane left, Miles center, Cannoball right, soundstage depth, width, and presence are each as prominent as I've ever experienced them to be. Don't let their small size fool you. The synergy between this pair is very engaging.

Tomorrow I'll biamp the Martin Logan's with the Inspire on the panels, and solid state mono's on the woofers, to truly determine how much gas this lil' amp has...stay tuned. :music:

http://i1192.photobucket.com/albums/aa334/bluenote1/IMG_7959_zps3a48fa17.jpg

pstrisik
03-20-2014, 11:25 AM
Very nice Coltrane1.......

Jazz musician, eh? That's great. Most I can say is I'm a blues harp hack. Got a couple of great mics though - a vintage Shure green bullet and a custom harp mic (http://www.blowsmeaway.com/images/bulletizer/bulletizer_on_ultimate_400.jpg) by the wizard Greg Heuman based on a vintage Shure 545 element (the "Butterfield" mic type element). Also an upgraded 60's Kalamazoo 5 watt tube amp (http://www.blowsmeaway.com/images/kalamazoo/lounge_liz_400.jpg).

I'm surprised at the guts of the 10watter I got from DH. As I described earlier, it does a pretty good job powering vintage AR2ax - 87db sensitive. If you are biamping ML's I'm sure yours will do fine. If it were to power them by itself, not so sure given the reputation for power needs of that type speaker.

I see you have a pair of single drivers. I have a pair of Omega Super 7 XRS speakers on order. Custom made drivers and cabs by Louis Chochos - 6" alnico drivers. More anticipation! http://smiley.nowdararpour.ir/kolobok3/56.gif

Thanks for identifying the jacks. I'll probably use my handy dandy label maker for that, but now don't have to do the guesswork myself. I didn't get a manual with my amp either. What I know if from his listings and direct correspondence. Mostly needed to know about what tubes can run in it. I've got a pretty good list now.

Coltrane1
03-20-2014, 08:10 PM
Very nice Coltrane1.......

Jazz musician, eh? That's great. Most I can say is I'm a blues harp hack. Got a couple of great mics though - a vintage Shure green bullet and a custom harp mic (http://www.blowsmeaway.com/images/bulletizer/bulletizer_on_ultimate_400.jpg) by the wizard Greg Heuman based on a vintage Shure 545 element (the "Butterfield" mic type element). Also an upgraded 60's Kalamazoo 5 watt tube amp (http://www.blowsmeaway.com/images/kalamazoo/lounge_liz_400.jpg).

I'm surprised at the guts of the 10watter I got from DH. As I described earlier, it does a pretty good job powering vintage AR2ax - 87db sensitive. If you are biamping ML's I'm sure yours will do fine. If it were to power them by itself, not so sure given the reputation for power needs of that type speaker.

I see you have a pair of single drivers. I have a pair of Omega Super 7 XRS speakers on order. Custom made drivers and cabs by Louis Chochos - 6" alnico drivers. More anticipation!

Thanks for identifying the jacks. I'll probably use my handy dandy label maker for that, but now don't have to do the guesswork myself. I didn't get a manual with my amp either. What I know if from his listings and direct correspondence. Mostly needed to know about what tubes can run in it. I've got a pretty good list now.

As single drivers go, I've only owned these Abby's. I often see great home made's on the DIY forums. Some home builders have impressive woodworking skills!

btw...Ms. Buttercup, as she's been dubbed, who just arrived is a bonafide keeper! :banana:

Buying a new archtop blind is like buying a box of cracker jacks...one never knows the prize inside.

http://i1192.photobucket.com/albums/aa334/bluenote1/IMG_8191_zps6d5a9b19.jpg

pstrisik
03-20-2014, 10:17 PM
Very impressive! I can see the workmanship there that we all appreciate in Dennis' work. I now envision you looking like some version of Anthony Wilson. http://smiley.nowdararpour.ir/laughing/13.gif

Coltrane1
03-21-2014, 01:48 AM
I've been a fan of Anthony Wilson since I first saw him touring in 2000 with Diana Krall. He tore it up on that 'live in Paris' DVD.

pstrisik
03-21-2014, 06:44 PM
Just got fedex tracking email that my pre was delivered to my office 12 minutes ago! On my way to pick her up and bring her home. http://smiley.nowdararpour.ir/party/40.gif

pstrisik
03-21-2014, 08:51 PM
Here she is! Ain't she purty? I have some rearranging of setup to do before listening. I need to have the balanced outputs from my streamer go to the AVR rather than the preamp (now going to SLP05) so I can move the RCAs between the two preamps.

Tonight is season two finale night for House of Cards with my wife, so it looks like I may be able to do a bit late this evening but listening will probably be tomorrow. As Coltrane1 says, anticipation!

http://img593.imageshack.us/img593/3332/wr72.jpg (http://img593.imageshack.us/i/wr72.jpg/)

I now have a five year supply of bubble wrap - Go Dennis! http://smiley.nowdararpour.ir/happy/27.gif

CRJCapt
03-21-2014, 11:06 PM
WOW, that looks awesome. Love to know how it sounds compared to his Cary designs. Keep us posted................

Coltrane1
03-22-2014, 01:44 PM
Here she is! Ain't she purty? I have some rearranging of setup to do before listening. I need to have the balanced outputs from my streamer go to the AVR rather than the preamp (now going to SLP05) so I can move the RCAs between the two preamps.

Tonight is season two finale night for House of Cards with my wife, so it looks like I may be able to do a bit late this evening but listening will probably be tomorrow. As Coltrane1 says, anticipation!

I now have a five year supply of bubble wrap - Go Dennis! http://smiley.nowdararpour.ir/happy/27.gif

I sure love that finish. WHEW!

I look forward to hearing your impressions. Did Dennis relate the approximate break-in time to you?

btw...I've seen both series of HOC via Netflix...I viewed series 1 in an all nighter marathon...couldn't walk away from it. Series 2 left me a bit disappointed, but only as it compared to the first series. Am I correct in thinking that's now the end of the series?

Coltrane1
03-22-2014, 04:30 PM
I don't know what the 6V6's are like either, but I'm about to find out. Dennis just sent me an e-mail asking me to start with the 6V6 tubes first, before I use the KT88's. After he was kind enough to include them, what could I say? Sure I will.
By the way, I asked Dennis with all of these cool custom colors coming out....can purple haze be far behind??? :music:

So JL2, is it the SET KT88 you own, and all that's necessary for a change from the KT88 to the 6V6's is to drop them in? No change of the rectifier or anything?

pstrisik
03-22-2014, 04:34 PM
I sure love that finish. WHEW!

I look forward to hearing your impressions. Did Dennis relate the approximate break-in time to you?

btw...I've seen both series of HOC via Netflix...I viewed series 1 in an all nighter marathon...couldn't walk away from it. Series 2 left me a bit disappointed, but only as it compared to the first series. Am I correct in thinking that's now the end of the series?

I just asked him about break in time. I've got things set up now and will do some listening this evening. Ihave to run out for errands and will leave it playing for a few hours.

Season Two of HOC is much more intense with Frank going sociopathic, so I'd say they are different rather than either is better. The first season had a somewhat slower pace. I'm reading that there will be a season three. Season two ended up so it could go either way, IMO. End it there or new chapter (I'm trying not to give any spoilers).

http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/4468/o0f2.jpg (http://img27.imageshack.us/i/o0f2.jpg/)

pstrisik
03-22-2014, 04:44 PM
Here's what Dennis says about breaking in the LP-2:

Mon-O-Man that looks great. Yes, put the CD player on repeat and let it run 24/7 for a few days when you are not listening. The amplifier does not need to be on. Give the LP-2, 40 to 50 hours to truly settle in with the audio AC signal running. The film and foil output coupling caps need the audio signal running through them. This makes no engineering sense what so ever but .. yes the change is not subtle. My engineering buddies think I am nuts. LOL

Interesting that it can break in without the amp on! Certainly makes the process easier without concern for music playing at inconvenient times.

Justlisten2
03-22-2014, 04:48 PM
So JL2, is it the SET KT88 you own, and all that's necessary for a change from the KT88 to the 6V6's is to drop them in? No change of the rectifier or anything?

Yes, mine is the KT88 model. The rectifier tube has to be changed as well when changing to 6V6 tubes. The KT88's use a 5AR4 rectifier while the 6V6's use a 5Y3 rectifier. :thumbsup:

Coltrane1
03-22-2014, 07:20 PM
My father had a Jaguar Racing Green '66 XKE (new).

Now that's funny. My dad had a '67 silver blue E-type XKE. I can still hear the growl of its 4.2 litre six in my head.

The newer '73 V-12 model with its flared fenders and grilled nose sold brand new for a mere $7500 on the showroom floor. I remember thinking at the time, how does anyone ever afford $7500 for a car? I was the envy of my high school driving my dad's Jag' through campus in '72...those Weber's were a bear to keep tuned, although, that was in California heat.

Coltrane1
03-22-2014, 07:25 PM
Yes, mine is the KT88 model. The rectifier tube has to be changed as well when changing to 6V6 tubes. The KT88's use a 5AR4 rectifier while the 6V6's use a 5Y3 rectifier. :thumbsup:

Okay, thanks for the confirmation. So, does the 6V6G work as well? I prefer the look of those over the smaller 6V6 tubes...I noticed DH has two different types of 6V6 tube amps. One with the short stubby tubes, and the other with the taller coke bottle type 6V6G's.

Justlisten2
03-22-2014, 08:39 PM
Okay, thanks for the confirmation. So, does the 6V6G work as well? I prefer the look of those over the smaller 6V6 tubes...I noticed DH has two different types of 6V6 tube amps. One with the short stubby tubes, and the other with the taller coke bottle type 6V6G's.

I don't know, you'd have to ask The Man that question.

Coltrane1
03-23-2014, 04:37 PM
I just asked him about break in time. I've got things set up now and will do some listening this evening. Ihave to run out for errands and will leave it playing for a few hours.

Season Two of HOC is much more intense with Frank going sociopathic, so I'd say they are different rather than either is better. The first season had a somewhat slower pace. I'm reading that there will be a season three. Season two ended up so it could go either way, IMO. End it there or new chapter (I'm trying not to give any spoilers).

Gorgeous side by side shot. What rectifier is that mated with the KT150's?

pstrisik
03-23-2014, 05:21 PM
Gorgeous side by side shot. What rectifier is that mated with the KT150's?

Thanks! I since switched positions with the preamp on the outside and amp in the center. Seems more natural with its bigger tubes. That big beautiful rectifier is the 274B. Dennis thought it had a bit more midrange quality and I agree. Brings it down to 10wpc from 12wpc I'd get with the 5AR4.

Simonatsea
03-23-2014, 10:58 PM
Still waiting on my green 6V6. Cleared customs this morning, unfortunately I am off to work for three weeks.... Anticipation right! I've order a pair of KT88SC penta tubes as well as a pair of SED Winged C EL34's and a SED Winged C 5U4 Black plate. I'll be trying out a few different input tubes as well, EH 6SN7 Gold pin and a Shuguang Treasure CV-181Z tube. I'll let you know how the rolling pan's out. Not sure what tube compliment Dennis ended up shipping out, I explained my current setup and ask him to tune it to his tastes..... Three weeks is going to be a long wait.
Look forward to hearing a few of your thoughts and comparisons of your new babies.

Simonatsea
03-24-2014, 02:27 AM
Just to clarify, the kt-88sc and the 5u4 tube are the only new ones, the others will be coming from my existing collection.....

pstrisik
03-27-2014, 01:48 PM
Just a quick update on my LP-2 pre and KT150 amp combo. I've been pretty quiet since the LP-2 arrived.

I am definitely enjoying it. This weekend, I will do a switch back to the SLP-05 to see what I notice moving in that direction, then likely back again.

The difficulty is that my speakers are not ideal. They are 87db sensitive AR2ax'. They are powered well at about 80db, but somehow it seems to me that I really need more sensitive speakers to do justice to the Inspires in my assessment as volume is at 2:00 for my typical listening level. I have Omega Super 7 XRS' on order (93db single drivers). They are custom made and will probably be two to three weeks before I have them.

Formerly YB-2
03-27-2014, 02:34 PM
Peter - will guess that you are correct in your thinking on the AR2ax. IIRC they are a sealed box, which is also generally somewhat less easy to drive than a ported design. With my 20wpc SET amps am driving 88db 8ohm speakers, but listening in the 'near field' at about 6ft, which is a real advantage.

Justlisten2
03-27-2014, 03:27 PM
The difficulty is that my speakers are not ideal. They are 87db sensitive AR2ax'. They are powered well at about 80db, but somehow it seems to me that I really need more sensitive speakers to do justice to the Inspires in my assessment as volume is at 2:00 for my typical listening level. I have Omega Super 7 XRS' on order (93db single drivers). They are custom made and will probably be two to three weeks before I have them.

Maybe this is the next logical step......:yes:

http://usr.audioasylum.com/images/0/3992/Speaker.jpeg

pstrisik
03-27-2014, 05:36 PM
Peter - will guess that you are correct in your thinking on the AR2ax. IIRC they are a sealed box, which is also generally somewhat less easy to drive than a ported design. With my 20wpc SET amps am driving 88db 8ohm speakers, but listening in the 'near field' at about 6ft, which is a real advantage.

Yup. I'm listening at 10ft in an ~600sf room.

pstrisik
03-27-2014, 05:38 PM

Tease!

What do you know?

I saw that speaker in the background in one of Dennis' photos, but didn't know it was his design. Looks like MTM OB.

Formerly YB-2
03-27-2014, 06:51 PM
Dennis sold speakers under the Cary name early on and then spun out the Soliloquy line of speakers, which were notably easy to drive as well as notably good sounding. Especially liked the 5.0i. Is he selling the Inspire speakers on eBay?

Justlisten2
03-27-2014, 07:17 PM
Tease!

What do you know?

I saw that speaker in the background in one of Dennis' photos, but didn't know it was his design. Looks like MTM OB.

All I know is that Dennis sent me a few pics of these speakers the other night.
He didn't answer my question when I asked him if new speakers were on the way. So........Dennis is the tease. :D

Justlisten2
03-27-2014, 07:22 PM
Dennis sold speakers under the Cary name early on and then spun out the Soliloquy line of speakers, which were notably easy to drive as well as notably good sounding. Especially liked the 5.0i. Is he selling the Inspire speakers on eBay?

Yes, I know, I'm currently using Soliloquy 6.3i speakers. Granted, they were towards the end of the Soliloquy run, after Dennis' involvement was done, but....

His speakers are not on Ebay yet, that I know of. When he sent me the pics the other night I asked him if he were going to start selling speakers now. He hasn't responded to that question in his follow up e-mails. I did find out he's not working alone though. The gent who is doing all of his metal work is another retired guy who also likes to stay up all night long. :music:

Formerly YB-2
03-27-2014, 08:14 PM
A long-lived speaker company is more the exception than the rule, unfortunately. Was sad to see Soliloquy go. Though was some number of years ago.

What do you mean by "doing all his metal work"? Dennis was kind enough to give me the contact info for the folks who make his raw chassis and they are in Ohio.

Justlisten2
03-27-2014, 09:42 PM
Glenn, he didn't specify where the guy worked. I was just razzing him for sending me middle of the night e-mails and he sent me one more e-mail with photos of more raw chassis' and said that his metal guy was another retired gent who was working at 1:30 am. I assumed he was local to Dennis, but that was not actually stated that he was local. His 'retired metal guy' who works through the night just like Dennis could live anywhere I suppose.

Formerly YB-2
03-27-2014, 11:22 PM
Understand. Another fun thing about getting old is poorer sleep habits (along with aches & pains). Better than the alternative. ;) An upside is we get to listen in the early morning when it is very quiet.

Coltrane1
03-28-2014, 01:52 PM

http://usr.audioasylum.com/images/0/3992/Speaker.jpeg

Hey all...Dennis has produced an open baffle speaker? Really? :)

Does anyone know the sensitivity rating for that speaker?

Thanks to a local builder I've owned several pairs of his solid wood open baffle designs that if memory serves me correct were 97dB...drove them with an 8 watt 300B SET...and that was too much power. :)

they had 15" bass and midrange drivers, with the bass driver driven by individual plate amps. Great speaker...once OB, never boxed became my mantra. Great speakers.

Mike's biggest build was a 3 way w/a AMT midrange driver that was a modern twist on the old Heil AMT formerly built by ESS:

http://i1192.photobucket.com/albums/aa334/bluenote1/dsc04302s_zps9240047f.jpg

http://i1192.photobucket.com/albums/aa334/bluenote1/dsc04297s_zps51ec232f.jpg

http://i1192.photobucket.com/albums/aa334/bluenote1/dsc04752s_zps50d5325e.jpg

Justlisten2
03-28-2014, 02:37 PM
Damn Coltrane1! Those are some very large speakers! Room fillers!!
Here's another tease pic from Dennis:

http://usr.audioasylum.com/images/0/3992/Inspire_Speaker.jpeg

Coltrane1
03-28-2014, 03:37 PM
Damn Coltrane1! Those are some very large speakers!

Hey JL2...they filled that room. Which is why I went with the 2 way's...bass mongers they were...tightest, most natural sounding bass I've ever heard. And the solid Sapele tiger striped wood was just off the charts. If you've never investigated OB's, there's a lot there to investigate. They operate like dipole's...much like my favored electrostats...but with real bass! :banana:

http://i1192.photobucket.com/albums/aa334/bluenote1/audio/8fdb82be.jpg

Justlisten2
03-28-2014, 04:29 PM
Hey JL2...they filled that room. Which is why I went with the 2 way's...bass mongers they were...tightest, most natural sounding bass I've ever heard. And the solid Sapele tiger striped wood was just off the charts. If you've never investigated OB's, there's a lot there to investigate. They operate like dipole's...much like my favored electrostats...but with real bass! :banana:

http://i1192.photobucket.com/albums/aa334/bluenote1/audio/8fdb82be.jpg

Are they full range speakers? I don't see any tweeters... No, I have never experienced a true open baffle design. It sounds like I need to. Those sure look pretty! :yes:
Is that a Canary amp?

Coltrane1
03-28-2014, 05:02 PM
Are they full range speakers? I don't see any tweeters... No, I have never experienced a true open baffle design. It sounds like I need to. Those sure look pretty! :yes:
Is that a Canary amp?

Yes, full range. The coax is behind the center of the upper 15" midrange driver. Drove them a bit with the Canary 301 mono's. The lower photo is my first pair in blonde birch...exceptional woodworking skills by my local guy.

http://i1192.photobucket.com/albums/aa334/bluenote1/audio/3903b283.jpg

http://i1192.photobucket.com/albums/aa334/bluenote1/audio/IMG_1642_zpsb11762e5.jpg

Formerly YB-2
03-28-2014, 07:01 PM
Do you have a picture of the back of the speaker showing the coax?

OK........... found the Hawthorne speaker website - hawthorneaudio.us/catalogs/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1

Unfortunately, our local OB builder passed away a couple of years ago. He favored TAD full-range drivers and super-tweeters.

Justlisten2
03-28-2014, 10:32 PM
Alright, here is an e-mail reply from Dennis regarding some of the questions about metal work and speakers here. It seems like we are being watched closely. :yikes:

One of my audio buddies alerted me to go the AudioAficionado for some chatter. Here are a few responses if you wish.

"The chassis are machined in the Inspire shop here in the Cary Business Park. I have the raw aluminum folded and welded outside of our shop and then as I mentioned we do all the machining. The photos you saw of the raw chassis were on the shipping bench in the shop. Next step is off for sand blasting and powder coating. Speaking of powder coating ... I bought some smashing copper powder coat finish this afternoon. The powder comes in 5 Lb boxs. To coat a chassis takes a just few ounces. LOL I can copper for years LOL Next week I will send you a photo of the final. One of our 6V6 Inspire customers is going to be the first.

In regards to the Inspire loudspeakers ... I designed them with my mighty 6V6 amplifier last summer. I had a fellow from Greensboro who is a loudspeaker guru and speaker judge at the summer Parts Express speaker build contest come and do the computer analyses .... they are pretty darn good to say the least. They come in at about 90 dB. They have a pair of 10" paper cone woofers and the Morel 94 dB efficient soft dome tweeter. The folks who have purchased my OB speakers are local in the Carolina. I built these strictly for fun although they are actually a serious set of loudspeakers. Designed specifically with and for Single-ended amplification"

http://usr.audioasylum.com/images/0/3992/Inspire_Speakers.jpeg

Formerly YB-2
03-28-2014, 11:07 PM
Guess we have to move to NC if we want speakers. ;)
The smaller Inspire set is quite appealing.

Loop4fun
03-28-2014, 11:08 PM
I have not seen the copper Dennis picked yet, but the idea is to match the look of the MSB copper and black unit they show on their web site. The picture I'm looking at is the 5th or so from the bottom. It should look really sharp in contrast with the black transformers.

Custom Colors (http://www.msbtech.com/color/color.php?Page=../products/platinumHome)

Justlisten2
03-29-2014, 02:03 AM
I have not seen the copper Dennis picked yet, but the idea is to match the look of the MSB copper and black unit they show on their web site. The picture I'm looking at is the 5th or so from the bottom. It should look really sharp in contrast with the black transformers.

Custom Colors (http://www.msbtech.com/color/color.php?Page=../products/platinumHome)

Bill, is the copper one that he is building for you? If it is, that is funny (not the looks, it should look cool). I'm just thinking that the custom colors Dennis has done thus far have been red, blue, green, and copper. The red, blue and green are for fellows on this thread. If the copper is yours, then all of Dennis custom colors are from this thread. Small world! :D

Loop4fun
03-29-2014, 10:10 AM
Bill, is the copper one that he is building for you? If it is, that is funny (not the looks, it should look cool). I'm just thinking that the custom colors Dennis has done thus far have been red, blue, green, and copper. The red, blue and green are for fellows on this thread. If the copper is yours, then all of Dennis custom colors are from this thread. Small world! :D

John, Yes, He is building the copper 6v6 for me. I've been following the thread which inspired me to have him build one for me. I purchased the green one he advertised last week on ebay and asked him to switch colors if he thought he could match the MSB copper (or get close). I didn't just stumble on the amp and find this thread. I purchased it BECAUSE of this thread. :)

It will be an amp I can try different tubes in, which is something I would never do with my Shindo amp. I will use it in a second system driving Harbeth c7s in a another room.

He is such a delightful person to deal with. One of these days, these hand made amps might be something really special!

Coltrane1
03-29-2014, 01:17 PM
Do you have a picture of the back of the speaker showing the coax?

OK........... found the Hawthorne speaker website - hawthorneaudio.us/catalogs/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1

Unfortunately, our local OB builder passed away a couple of years ago. He favored TAD full-range drivers and super-tweeters.

Not any more...I've sold both pair, but they're featured at HA's website, as their best coaxial w/ the Sterling Silver drivers. But there's tons of pics on the Hawthorne DIY forum...both speaker builds, large and small, are on the forum with photo step by step. The forum user "woodsage" is the featured builder. No one on that forum, even Darrell Hawthorne, has Mike's, aka woodsage, woodworking skills. Mike builds corporate board room tables for a living. Here's the build for a set of Rainier's, the taller pair with the AMT mid center.

hawthorneaudio.us/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4072

Hawthorne Audio has an outfit build their 15" drivers...I'd heard their 10's, and then their 15's...talk about shakin' some air!...they're addicting. Excellent drivers they are, and more importantly, very efficient and EZ to drive.

I don't doubt DH's OB's sound very good. At least he builds a better looking baffle than Hawthorne's stock offering.

OB's are very addicting. But I'm more a fan of the 15" drivers.

http://i1192.photobucket.com/albums/aa334/bluenote1/shapeimage_6_zps0f3385ca.png

Formerly YB-2
03-29-2014, 03:22 PM
Thanks. I'm thinking a 10" Sterling Silver and a 10" Auggie in a 12" wide baffle would be just about perfect.

The Inspire amps have become so popular they've all ready hit the used market.
audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=584504

Justlisten2
03-29-2014, 05:01 PM

Yes, Coltrane1 has already purchased a used LP2 preamp AND KT88 amp on Ebay!!! :scratch2:

BeerCan
03-30-2014, 04:44 PM
New user here but I purchased one of these recently. A KT66 version, I am waiting for my preamp to arrive so I can use it. I am going to try it with my KEF LS50's so it will be a workout for sure.

Justlisten2
03-30-2014, 04:50 PM

I've seen the first one on Audiogon now too.

Masterlu
03-30-2014, 05:02 PM
BeerCan... Welcome! :wave:

Justlisten2
03-30-2014, 06:45 PM
New user here but I purchased one of these recently. A KT66 version, I am waiting for my preamp to arrive so I can use it. I am going to try it with my KEF LS50's so it will be a workout for sure.

Welcome BeerCan!! :beerchug:

What preamp are you waiting for? An Inspire LP2? Those KEF's should be a good challenge for the KT66 amp! How big is your listening room?

BeerCan
03-30-2014, 09:11 PM
pre amp is from another manufacturer. I don't want to name them until I have it in hand but it should be a good one. :)

My listening space is small so this may just work out fine. I will keep an eye on the amp the first couple of days to make sure it is not getting to hot. I think at my low listening levels I will be ok

Coltrane1
03-31-2014, 04:30 PM
Welcome BC!

From one newb' to another, you'll do just fine with that amp in a small space. Small spaces need love too! :banana:

Jwhcfi
04-02-2014, 07:00 PM
Hey guys,
Any idea what frequency range & efficiency the Dennis Had speakers might be and will he be offering soon?

Jwhcfi
04-02-2014, 07:01 PM
This SET bug is getting to me. :)

Formerly YB-2
04-02-2014, 07:29 PM
You can look up the Morel tweeter spec's at Parts Express for the top end. A 10" woofer in an OB configuration with a narrow baffle like Dennis' design is likely going to roll-off (down 3db) on the bottom around 50hz from what I've been reading. There is a fairly good thread on just OB speakers in the speaker forum at that 'other' audio forum (AK) website. Want more on the bottom you will likely want a powered sub. Some folks also run a super-tweeter on the top.

Justlisten2
04-03-2014, 04:27 PM
Hey guys,
Any idea what frequency range & efficiency the Dennis Had speakers might be and will he be offering soon?

Hey Wes,
I believe Dennis said that the speakers were measured at 90 dB efficient, but he didn't mention range or load. He also didn't mention anything about selling or shipping them. He said that he made a few pairs that he sold to some local fellas in North Carolina. He hasn't shipped them to anyone yet, and I didn't get the impression that he was itching to start shipping speakers. I think he's happy just shipping little amps ....you do know he is retired....right??? :thumbsup:

Coltrane1
04-03-2014, 07:25 PM
No sub needed with OB Hawthorne Audio drivers...each lower driver (Augies) is a sub.

http://i1192.photobucket.com/albums/aa334/bluenote1/audio/P1020643_zpseeb2e76b.jpg

http://i1192.photobucket.com/albums/aa334/bluenote1/audio/dsc03366ha_zps2e2fe849.jpg

http://i1192.photobucket.com/albums/aa334/bluenote1/audio/dsc02839small_zps75c290b5.jpg

http://i1192.photobucket.com/albums/aa334/bluenote1/audio/dsc02819small_zpsfdeebba6.jpg

Jwhcfi
04-03-2014, 09:28 PM
Hey Wes,
I believe Dennis said that the speakers were measured at 90 dB efficient, but he didn't mention range or load. He also didn't mention anything about selling or shipping them. He said that he made a few pairs that he sold to some local fellas in North Carolina. He hasn't shipped them to anyone yet, and I didn't get the impression that he was itching to start shipping speakers. I think he's happy just shipping little amps ....you do know he is retired....right??? :thumbsup:

Indeed, makes me jealous. :scratch2:

Jwhcfi
04-03-2014, 09:31 PM
Hey Wes,

Now that I think about it, we're about 4.5 hours from Raleigh Durham ... Wonder if he would mind a drive by visit to hear some of his latest stuff. I may have to email him about that.:yes:

Formerly YB-2
04-03-2014, 09:56 PM
No sub needed with OB Hawthorne Audio drivers...each lower driver (Augies) is a sub.
Indeed. I'm talking to Darrel about a set of one of these designs. Would be a Duet rather than a Trio, but the design basis would be similar.

http://www.audioaficionado.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=33357&stc=1&d=1396576385
http://www.audioaficionado.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=33358&stc=1&d=1396576540
http://www.audioaficionado.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=33359&stc=1&d=1396576540

Justlisten2
04-03-2014, 10:23 PM
Now that I think about it, we're about 4.5 hours from Raleigh Durham ... Wonder if he would mind a drive by visit to hear some of his latest stuff. I may have to email him about that.:yes:

I'm sure Dennis would love to have a visit. He sent me an open invite to drop by his club if I were in the neighborhood.
I bet it would be a blast, if I could just free up some time. :music:

Loop4fun
04-06-2014, 12:17 PM
http://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/aa350/Loop4fun/DSCF8345.jpeg

http://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/aa350/Loop4fun/DSCF8356.jpeg

http://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/aa350/Loop4fun/DSCF8365.jpeg

Very classy, Dennis!

Simonatsea
04-06-2014, 06:52 PM
I like the flake in that copper powder coat. Recent listing on ebay for the M3 blue. Glad I got bought my 6V6 when I did, prices seem to be climbing. Hopefully the phono pre and the LP2 will stay attainable. 1.5 weeks until I get to hear my lil green 6v6 for the first time..... Suspense is building. Fingers crossed it is a good match for my Zu audio Soul Suferfly's......

Justlisten2
04-06-2014, 07:53 PM
That's awesome looking Bill!! Dennis sent me the top picture, with all of the chassis' together. I thought yours was a burgundy red, but I can see the copper better from the other photos. Looks really cool!!!

You're halfway there Simon!!

Loop4fun
04-06-2014, 11:59 PM
http://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/aa350/Loop4fun/DSCF8399.jpeg

http://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/aa350/Loop4fun/DSCF8402.jpeg

http://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/aa350/Loop4fun/DSCF8410.jpeg

http://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/aa350/Loop4fun/DSCF8405.jpeg

Dennis whips these things out! He told me that with a couple more hours work that he'd be listening to Music! (Of course he didn't say with THIS unit...) ;)

It's hard to pin this copper color down in different lighting, but it is metal flake and then clear coated. It will look spectacular when finished. It is exactly what I wanted and Dennis found it after looking at several samples I think I mentioned before that I asked him to match the MSB copper on their special color examples page. The copper and black is about halfway down. Once we got on a roll there was no stopping... What a friend!

Dealing with Dennis is one of the pleasures of buying his hand made amps.:yes:

Loop4fun
04-08-2014, 02:07 PM
Dennis has been running it with both tubes.

http://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/aa350/Loop4fun/DSCF8465.jpeg

http://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/aa350/Loop4fun/DSCF8482.jpeg

http://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/aa350/Loop4fun/DSCF8452.jpeg

http://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/aa350/Loop4fun/DSCF8481.jpeg

Justlisten2
04-08-2014, 09:04 PM
DAMN!!! That is one fine looking amp Bill!! Color me green with envy!!! :yes:

Loop4fun
04-08-2014, 09:24 PM
DAMN!!! That is one fine looking amp Bill!! Color me green with envy!!! :yes:

JL2,
Thanks!

Simonatsea
04-08-2014, 11:11 PM
Wow, she's a stunner! Is dennis going to leave that Sophia mesh plate in when he ships it???? Look forward to hearing how the rolling goes with his amp's.

BeerCan
04-09-2014, 12:45 PM
Hi all
Quick question. Can I use the 5ar4 rectifier with the KT66 output tubes?
Seperate question, does anyone know anything about the 5gk20 rectifier?

Coltrane1
04-12-2014, 01:34 PM
That copper looks killer! Congrats!

Justlisten2
04-13-2014, 12:37 AM
Hi all
Quick question. Can I use the 5ar4 rectifier with the KT66 output tubes?
Seperate question, does anyone know anything about the 5gk20 rectifier?

According to Peter's notes, no, you will need a 5U4 rectifier to run the KT66's.

10 watts output - KT88, EL34, 6550, KT99, KT120, KT150 output and 5U4/274B rectifier

Simonatsea
04-13-2014, 08:27 AM
Just scored a NOS EML 5u4G mesh plate on the Ebay for under $100.00!

Between that and the Full Music 6SL7 I got from parts connection bargain basement sale for $35.00. I've got some fun tube rolling in my future! Look forward to hearing the Penta KT88's in the lil 6V6 amp. Dennis told me through email that he designs the circuit to run them with the 5Y3 rectifier. Odd he doesn't advertise this combo.... maybe its not ideal but he termed it as a "hifi spectacular" setup..... Wonder if that translates to overly bright with limited bottom end..... We shall see!
One week to go!

Tubes collection to roll;
Driver:
NOS RCA Jan6SN7GTB (from Dennis)
EH 6SN7 Gold cryo
Shuguang Treasures 6SN7/CV-181-Z
Full Music 6SL7

Output:
6V6 Gold lion Reissue(from Dennis)
EL34 SED winged =C=
KT88SC "preferred series" (penta)

Rectifier:
Sovtek 5Y3 (from Dennis)
5U4G SED Winged =C= Black plate
5U4G EML mesh plate (2010 old version)

pstrisik
04-13-2014, 11:52 AM
According to Peter's notes, no, you will need a 5U4 rectifier to run the KT66's.

I'm no longer sure about this. Those combos are what Dennis put in the listing for the KT120/150 amps. He doesn't seem attached to matching those up exactly though in general conversation. These are also different amps aren't they (KT66 vs 120/150)? Still don't know if some tube combos apply across these designs though.

Formerly YB-2
04-13-2014, 05:21 PM
Simon - nice selection to play with. Been running the Winged 'C' EL34s in the SLI 80 and have been very pleasantly surprised at their bottom-to-top presentation and have picked up another set for that 'rainy day' when no more W 'C' tubes are available.

Simonatsea
04-14-2014, 09:23 AM
So I received this from Dennis last night, it is specific for the 6V6 amplifier. Interesting that the KT90 is able push that kind of wattage! He also confirmed that the EML tubes work fine in his amplifier circuits as he has an EML 274B mesh plate himself. Looks like its hard to make any catastrophic errors with output tubes / rectifier tubes in his designs :thumbsup:

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p196/simonatsea/6V6rollingspecs_zpsc0e67918.jpeg (http://s128.photobucket.com/user/simonatsea/media/6V6rollingspecs_zpsc0e67918.jpeg.html)

BeerCan
04-14-2014, 03:46 PM
I have been using 6BG6GA with the 5ar4 and a 6sl7 and have been very pleased. I have very inefficient speakers and so far no problems. This amp is a tube rollers dream.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-E0ycYu_WWDI/U0mPE6y0Z-I/AAAAAAAACpo/UFFct1_RFoE/s800/R0001859.JPG

pstrisik
04-14-2014, 04:14 PM
I have been using 6BG6GA with the 5ar4 and a 6sl7 and have been very pleased. I have very inefficient speakers and so far no problems. This amp is a tube rollers dream.

These amps are! I'm still working on a tube order to try EL34 and 6V6 tubes in my KT150. Just for fun! :music:

I've always wondered about those big tubes with the external cables and caps. What is that about? I gather the 6BG6GA is a 6L6 replacement?

Simonatsea
04-14-2014, 05:59 PM
Wow, where did you pick up the 6BG6GA and adapters? This site familiar?

vacuumtubes.com/6BG6.html

Dennis also highly recommended the NOS Pope 6V6GT available at Upscale Audio. However, I think I have more then enough tubes to roll at the moment.....

Simonatsea
04-14-2014, 07:26 PM

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-E0ycYu_WWDI/U0mPE6y0Z-I/AAAAAAAACpo/UFFct1_RFoE/s800/R0001859.JPG

BeerCan, all you need now is a 6F8G Driver tube and an USAF 596 rectifier tube and you'd have something that would look right at home in a mad science lab!

Aercool
04-15-2014, 10:26 PM
Whew! It took me 24 pages to catch up - but what a fun read! I'm fairly new to the Inspire Fire Bottle amps/preamps (and very new to AudioAficianado.org) but just stumbled on to this thread.

I've been wildly happy with the amps and Dennis' enthusiam for the product, and the late night emails checking in to see if a certain tube was okay, etc.

I've got the KT-150 (w/ 6H30 driver tube) and the LP-2 with the 3 x 6FM7. I've seen references to an earlier LP-1 that used 6SL7's, if I recall correctly. Until my LP-2 arrived, I was using a preamp also designed by Dennis from the old Audio Electronics era, the AE-3 (2 x 6SN7 w/ diode rectification). Still a good combo, but I had caught the Inspire bug from Dennis.

I'm using the KT-150's driving a pair of the Zu Audio Omen (Dirty Weekend option to save a few $$$). They're 97 dB/W efficient - so I figured the 12 wpc from the KT-150's would wake the neighbors across town.

I will say this: my first couple weeks with the setup were a little rocky. The sound was 'nice' but the bass was a bit woolly, lacked a bit of power and it just didn't seem like the amp was controlling the speakers. After a bit of back & forth, he suggested rewiring the output transformers to a higher impedance output wiring to match the 12 ohm Omens. Holy moly. There was a column of white light that descended on me and I heard the Inspires for the first time. This difference was night & day, mildly satisfied to wildly satisfied. The other night I popped on Emmylou Harris' "Wrecking Ball" and I'm not sure I've heard better. I read through this whole thread and hadn't noticed anyone else with this issue - so I wanted to throw it out there. Fortunately, I know how to solder and it was a 2 minute project and a breeze to do with Dennis' help.

I've been tube-rolling like a few of the rest of you. I've got a Mullard 5AR4 (f32 Blackburn plant 1960's vintage). I'm still using a Sovtek 6H30, but have some Voskhod 1980's vintage 6N1P's en route from Moldova to try. In the LP-2 I've settled on a 1940's vintage 5Y3G (big coke bottle shoulders - gorgeous and smooooooth!).

Anyhoo. I'll look forward to checking back to this forum often!

Soooooo.... vinyl. Almost bought a Rega Planar 3 last week. I haven't spun vinyl since I was in college and the CD emerged in the early 80's. But now I'm curious...

Cheers all! Love this forum!

NOLG4EVR
04-16-2014, 12:20 AM
Whew! It took me 24 pages to catch up - but what a fun read! I'm fairly new to the Inspire Fire Bottle amps/preamps (and very new to AudioAficianado.org) but just stumbled on to this thread. I've been wildly happy with the amps and Dennis' enthusiam for the product, and the late night emails checking in to see if a certain tube was okay, etc. I've got the KT-150 (w/ 6H30 driver tube) and the LP-2 with the 3 x 6FM7. I've seen references to an earlier LP-1 that used 6SL7's, if I recall correctly. Until my LP-2 arrived, I was using a preamp also designed by Dennis from the old Audio Electronics era, the AE-3 (2 x 6SN7 w/ diode rectification). Still a good combo, but I had caught the Inspire bug from Dennis. I'm using the KT-150's driving a pair of the Zu Audio Omen (Dirty Weekend option to save a few $$$). They're 97 dB/W efficient - so I figured the 12 wpc from the KT-150's would wake the neighbors across town. I will say this: my first couple weeks with the setup were a little rocky. The sound was 'nice' but the bass was a bit woolly, lacked a bit of power and it just didn't seem like the amp was controlling the speakers. After a bit of back & forth, he suggested rewiring the output transformers to a higher impedance output wiring to match the 12 ohm Omens. Holy moly. There was a column of white light that descended on me and I heard the Inspires for the first time. This difference was night & day, mildly satisfied to wildly satisfied. The other night I popped on Emmylou Harris' "Wrecking Ball" and I'm not sure I've heard better. I read through this whole thread and hadn't noticed anyone else with this issue - so I wanted to throw it out there. Fortunately, I know how to solder and it was a 2 minute project and a breeze to do with Dennis' help. I've been tube-rolling like a few of the rest of you. I've got a Mullard 5AR4 (f32 Blackburn plant 1960's vintage). I'm still using a Sovtek 6H30, but have some Voskhod 1980's vintage 6N1P's en route from Moldova to try. In the LP-2 I've settled on a 1940's vintage 5Y3G (big coke bottle shoulders - gorgeous and smooooooth!). Anyhoo. I'll look forward to checking back to this forum often! Soooooo.... vinyl. Almost bought a Rega Planar 3 last week. I haven't spun vinyl since I was in college and the CD emerged in the early 80's. But now I'm curious... Cheers all! Love this forum!

Tubes and vinyl, they walk hand in hand!

Simonatsea
04-16-2014, 09:33 AM
Welcome Aercool! I too will be running Zu's. I had special 16ohm transformers installed by Dennis in my 6v6 for my Soul Superfly's. I still have my Omen bookshelf's, as they have not sold yet, I think I'll hook those up for kicks as well.

Vinyl is the way to go. Look forward to Dennis's inspire phono pre.... When he dreams it up that is.....

pstrisik
04-16-2014, 11:33 AM
Hi Aercool and welcome! We are on a similar path. I too have the KT150 and LP-2. Waiting for my single driver 94db Omegas due in about a week. They are 8 ohm though, and should match up well I'm hoping.

I have the same or similar Mullard 5AR4 in my SLP05 and just ordered another to try with the inspire. Though I prefer the 274B to the stock 5AR4 that Dennis supplied. I ordered a pair of Pope 6V6 from Upscale Audio to try and am about to order an RCA black plate 5Y3GT to with them and a pair of Winged C EL34 to try as well. That will give me a range of output tubes to play with.

I am also ordering two sets of 6FM7 in different brands to try. They are only $3.00 each, so $18 for the two sets.

I'm ordering everything except the Popes from Brent Jesse at audiotubes.com. He has been very helpful and accommodating over the past year or two with my rolling habit. He says he hasn't detected any difference between the brands of 6FM7, but they are cheap enough to see for myself. And I'll have a back up set.

Have you tried anything other than the KT150's for output tubes?

Aercool
04-16-2014, 05:17 PM
Hi Aercool and welcome! We are on a similar path. I too have the KT150 and LP-2. Waiting for my single driver 94db Omegas due in about a week. They are 8 ohm though, and should match up well I'm hoping.

I have the same or similar Mullard 5AR4 in my SLP05 and just ordered another to try with the inspire. Though I prefer the 274B to the stock 5AR4 that Dennis supplied. I ordered a pair of Pope 6V6 from Upscale Audio to try and am about to order an RCA black plate 5Y3GT to with them and a pair of Winged C EL34 to try as well. That will give me a range of output tubes to play with.

Have you tried anything other than the KT150's for output tubes?

I have a set of the Penta KT-88SC's from TheTubeStore, but probably only have a couple hours on them. After I changed the output tap, I've been really happy with things, and actually kinda regret buying them. I think trying the 6V6GT's would be a bigger change/difference in character.

Hopefully they'll work fine with the 8 ohm speakers, but if not you know what to try... ;^)

Aercool
04-16-2014, 05:31 PM
Just placed an order for a pair of the 6V6GT's from Upscale, I've got a cool 6106/5Y3 Bendix uber-tube to go with those.

Half the power but twice the cool?

Here's the "age" of each tube in my set up once I go with the 6V6GT's:

Inspire Amp:
2 x 6V6GT: 1950's/60's
1 x Bendix 6106: 1960's?
1 x Telefunken E88CC driver: 1960's

LP-2 Preamp
3 x 6FM7: ?
1 x Sylanvia JAN 5Y3G 1945

pstrisik
04-16-2014, 07:19 PM
Just placed an order for a pair of the 6V6GT's from Upscale......

Popes?

Simonatsea
04-16-2014, 07:43 PM
When Dennis sent me the tube rolling specs sheet for the 6V6 amp he included this shot. Says the Popes are smooth as a babies......

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p196/simonatsea/DSCF8699_zpsfbcdf38d.jpeg (http://s128.photobucket.com/user/simonatsea/media/DSCF8699_zpsfbcdf38d.jpeg.html)

pstrisik
04-16-2014, 07:53 PM
Nice! I'm reading general opinion that Popes are the best. Some RCAs after that. Popes are what I ordered as well. I'll need my new speakers before running them though. I can just get by running my AR2ax' at 10 watts. I won't even try less power. They are 8ohm, but only about 87db. The Omegas will be 93db.

Aercool
04-16-2014, 08:10 PM
Popes?

Yes, I got the Pope 6V6GT from Upscale.

So what's with the gray coloring on the tubes? Part of the appeal is seeing those filaments lit, and that cool blue glow coming off the power tubes. I've avoided them on principle alone! ;^)

I'm thinking with the Omens at 97 dB/W I'll be fine at 5 wpc. They're quite loud at the 12:00 volume knob position with the KT-150's.

pstrisik
04-16-2014, 08:43 PM
Yes, I got the Pope 6V6GT from Upscale.

So what's with the gray coloring on the tubes? Part of the appeal is seeing those filaments lit, and that cool blue glow coming off the power tubes. I've avoided them on principle alone! ;^)

I'm thinking with the Omens at 97 dB/W I'll be fine at 5 wpc. They're quite loud at the 12:00 volume knob position with the KT-150's.

I would think 5 watts would be fine with 97db. Louis, who makes the Omegas, says as little as 2 watts will power his speakers (93db).

Here is some info from the thetubestore.com/Resources/Matching-and-other-tube-info/Blue-Glow#getters on the gray coloring. I learned something finding it.

Getters

The getter or getter flash is the silver/gray coating seen on the glass of a tube. Most tubes have the getter flash at the top of the bottle, but some have it on the side or even bottom of the bottle. There are even tubes that have multiple getters on the top and sides. Regardless, the getter flash is what indicates there is a good vacuum in the tube and that no air has leaked inside. The shade of gray can vary from chrome-like to black. Any shade of gray is good. Inexperienced or misinformed folks may think a black color is a burn mark. It is not a burn at all but rather a product of how fast the flashing was done. Here in Photo 3 we show various colors of healthy getters.

An article by Electronics Magazine published an in-depth article about tube getters in October 1950. It’s very long but below is an excerpt about the getters you will see in most common audio tubes. We also have the entire article available for download.

“Flash getters are outgassed at temperatures between 600 and 700 C, usually by r-f heating from the outside of the tube, and flashed at temperatures between 900 and 1,300 C. The barium vapor condenses on the cold surface opposite the getter material, usually on the envelope of the tube. The appearance of the condensed getter deposit depends upon the vapor pressure in the tube at the time of flashing. If the getter is vaporized very slowly, the first barium atoms evaporated will absorb the gas present so that the remaining getter is deposited in a very high vacuum, exhibiting a shining mirror. If flashing is done very rapidly, however, the getter deposits in a rather high vapor pressure and the getter mirror will be discolored due to dispersion of the barium. If vaporization is carried out in the inert atmosphere of a rare gas the condensed deposit will be black, resulting in a dispersal getter. This condition does not mean that the getter is contaminated, but merely that the deposit is finely divided and therefore absorbs light. Such deposits exhibit higher efficiency than the bright deposits.”

The only time the getter color will indicate a problem is when it turns white. A tube with a white getter will not function and cannot be used. This happens when air leaks into the tube. See Photo 4 for an example of this. The tube on the left has lost it's vacuum and no longer functions. The tube on the right is a normal functioning tube.

Aercool
04-16-2014, 09:21 PM
I would think 5 watts would be fine with 97db. Louis, who makes the Omegas, says as little as 2 watts will power his speakers (93db). Here is some info from the tubestore.com (http://www.thetubestore.com/Resources/Matching-and-other-tube-info/Blue-Glow#getters) on the gray coloring. I learned something finding it.

Well, there's the silver getter and then there's that gray color some tubes have covering the walls uniformly. I suspect they're for different purposes.

But as my g/f would readily offer: "I've been wrong before".

pstrisik
04-16-2014, 10:04 PM
Well, there's the silver getter and then there's that gray color some tubes have covering the walls uniformly. I suspect they're for different purposes.

But as my g/f would readily offer: "I've been wrong before".

Maybe. I guess Kevin at Upscale could probably answer the question. Maybe there was the desire to block some of the glow for some applications? :scratch2:

I like the saying: I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken. A mind twister!

Justlisten2
04-16-2014, 11:38 PM
I've never heard the Pope 6V6GT's, but I'm running a pair of Pope 12AX7's that I bought from Kevin at Upscale Audio in my Cary SLP-98P preamp's phono section, and they are the best that I've heard. Great tone, dimensionality, air and space.

pstrisik
04-16-2014, 11:45 PM
And no one has made a Catholic joke yet!? (Not that there's anything wrong with that)

Like.......

Is the Pope Catholic?

No, but it makes the music come from Angels.

Baa Boom!

Coltrane1
04-17-2014, 01:28 PM
fyi, an EL84 based Inspire just appeared on A'gon.