PDA

View Full Version : Tubes, I mean Valves

Rayooo
10-08-2013, 08:59 PM
Never, ever did I think I'd end up with Valve based preamp and power amps. :D
Never say never.:nono:

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-p1pz4AFrBFg/UlSniL166AI/AAAAAAAAKhs/fbERuaWwKLQ/w1229-h790-no/RO0_3169.JPG

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-_HTSrPEw4ac/UlDoi_uSYaI/AAAAAAAAKg0/E0FLiHVung8/w1230-h761-no/RO0_3100.JPG

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-QnSsZ1tztdM/UlSpWMYsCfI/AAAAAAAAKh4/8JS7Je7petU/w1230-h815-no/RO0_3095.JPG

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-TQN4kxUbxC0/UlSp_59usSI/AAAAAAAAKiM/jZnHh6e1SUU/w1112-h834-no/IMG_1238.JPG

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-0csZ6QI2P68/UlSqAr0OqlI/AAAAAAAAKiY/9H41JJi8wFw/w1014-h834-no/IMG_1219.JPG

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-i8IJ992e57c/UlSqBMYkDTI/AAAAAAAAKiU/WuMgJk8cQPk/w1112-h834-no/IMG_1223.JPG

Masterlu
10-08-2013, 09:05 PM
So Pretty! :thumbsup:

MyPal
10-08-2013, 09:07 PM
Ray...Congrats! Beautiful. :banana:

jdandy
10-08-2013, 09:10 PM
Rayooo.......Wow! You jumped in the deep end. Gorgeous gear.

Rayooo
10-08-2013, 10:12 PM
I'll be enjoying them loads... Right up until next summer when I'll need a few more tons of air conditioning to keep the listening from going Super Nova.

They idle around 7 AMPs.... All heat. 'Course the JC1s in high bias were worse, but I could switch them to "summer mode" aka low bias. No such luck with these red-hots.

ronenash
10-09-2013, 07:14 AM
WOW Ray.
Enjoy, you now can pride yourself in owning one of the worlds best amplifiers at any price. I am sure they will be stunning after some month of break in and are probably better than most as they are pre-breakin.

I am really happy for you

Rayooo
10-09-2013, 10:49 AM
WOW Ray.
Enjoy, you now can pride yourself in owning one of the worlds best amplifiers at any price. I am sure they will be stunning after some month of break in and are probably better than most as they are pre-breakin.

I am really happy for you

Thank you! :yes::yes:

a bit of an update..

The system prior to the ARTs had been relatively consistent for a year or more, only tweaking had been yet again recently playing with some DACs.
(Meitner and W4S in addition to my D-O7X) I've been looking into DSD, but that's another matter.

So I'd had many recordings that I've listened to many many times. And the system overall was very familiar to me. The kind of familiarity I think that only comes with spending many listening hours.

As it happens, the first recording, the first day, with the ARTs only on long enough to set initial bias, I loaded up a familiar recording. (Melody Gardot)
I was literally blown away by how different things sounded. Not even to the point of determining better or worse, just different.

Unlike most "golden ears" and the old Mantra "trust your ears" I don't trust my ears, I know for a fact my own perception is swayed by dozens of outside factors each and every day, both physical and psychological. And the swaying is not always in the direction that I would have assumed it to be.

I even had a fail-safe plan whereas I'd pack these up and sell'em in a few days, get at least most of my $$ back and buy SS again.

A few days have passed, so far I'm literally blown away. Diminishing returns and all, there is simply no way these can sound this different to what I'm used to. And in my opinion, they sound better in EVERY respect.
Not a single downside, I was worried on several fronts, in the end, these things sound wonderful, beyond what I'd hoped for..and this is out of the box. This sounds silly, but I'd never really heard the piano properly in many Melody Gardot recordings. It hit me like a brick that there was immediately more "meat on the bones" of the piano notes. ..and her voice... extremely detailed without a trace of that UN-natural SSSSSS that drives me nuts.

To be fair, I've now only listened probably 20 hours total, so the Jury may still be out, unfortunately for the prosecution, this Judge (me) has become biased and has a pretty good idea already what the final verdict will be. :yes:

Coppy
10-09-2013, 04:22 PM
Great pictures. Man... do those amps ever look good with the metal tube covers off? You're making me lust to upgrade my LP70s. Enjoy.

Puma Cat
10-09-2013, 07:20 PM
Fantastic!

Must sound like heaven! I can only imagine how good it is. I'm actually of the opinion that the amp may be one of the biggest factors defining the "character" and performance of a system.

rlw3
10-09-2013, 10:18 PM
Keep track of the hours with a hand counter. My lp 275s finally sounded better than my pr 12 s after 475 hours. Teflon takes a while so don't judge too much too soon. I like the look of my 275s but not nearly as much as yours. Truly art museum worthy.

Rayooo
10-10-2013, 06:31 AM
Great pictures. Man... do those amps ever look good with the metal tube covers off? You're making me lust to upgrade my LP70s. Enjoy.

I "think" at this point I'll just leave the covers off for good. I like the looks both ways...but I figure no covers will be just a wee bit better for air-flow.
Its rather a PITA putting the covers on or taking them off anyway.

Briz Vegaas
10-10-2013, 07:21 AM
Nice nice super nice indeed!

You saying they sound different reminds me of how different the LP70s sounded, until a few months later and I realised I had them out of phase because unlike the CA200 the valve amps don't reverse phase. So much for being an audiophile, I had it brought to my attention by a computer, Audessy to be more specific.

Needless to say it sounds even better hooked up in phase. It's the last time I believe Stereophiles test CD. If you hear a central image you are in phase, yup, in phase with each other, both speakers were hooked up wrong.

What pre are you using? Is it the GAT.?

Regarding your source, those amps deserved either the Naim NDS or Naim nDAC with 555 power supply ( in both cases). Really enjoying my nDAC and XPS2..............we'll not right now, but thats the other thread.

ronenash
10-10-2013, 08:59 AM
Fantastic!

Must sound like heaven! I can only imagine how good it is. I'm actually of the opinion that the amp may be one of the biggest factors defining the "character" and performance of a system.

Stephan, I totally agree with you as the amps and speakers being the most critical parts of the system. IMO the differences between DACs these days is very minimal. I find it hard to tell them apart. Amps on the other hand have a very big impact on the sound and I can easily tell them apart.

Rayooo
10-10-2013, 11:04 AM
Nice nice super nice indeed!

You saying they sound different reminds me of how different the LP70s sounded, until a few months later and I realised I had them out of phase because unlike the CA200 the valve amps don't reverse phase. So much for being an audiophile, I had it brought to my attention by a computer, Audessy to be more specific.

Needless to say it sounds even better hooked up in phase. It's the last time I believe Stereophiles test CD. If you hear a central image you are in phase, yup, in phase with each other, both speakers were hooked up wrong.

What pre are you using? Is it the GAT.?

Regarding your source, those amps deserved either the Naim NDS or Naim nDAC with 555 power supply ( in both cases). Really enjoying my nDAC and XPS2..............we'll not right now, but thats the other thread.

:) I just ran in and checked absolute phase, last time around since the GAT inverts, I'd switched plus/minus speaker cables on both power amps to correct. I've kept this with the ARTs, under the "presumption" that the ARTs don't phase invert. 'guess I'd better check. Yep, running with GAT and now the Meitner MA1 DAC. CJ "synergy" and all. :)
Since the Meitner has no digital volume control, running preampless isn't an option now anyway.

Rayooo
10-10-2013, 11:08 AM
Fantastic!

+1 on the power amps!

I guess it would system configuration all too easy if power amps all sounded roughly the same. :D

Puma Cat
10-10-2013, 01:44 PM
Stephan, I totally agree with you as the amps and speakers being the most critical parts of the system. IMO the differences between DACs these days is very minimal. I find it hard to tell them apart. Amps on the other hand have a very big impact on the sound and I can easily tell them apart.

Hi Ron,
I completely agree. I know that many folks refer to the preamp as the heart of a system. I disagree. To me the preamp is the brains of a system, controlling choices of input, tone, volume, balance, etc. The amp is the "heart" of a system, infusing the system with life, power, and vitality. In that sense, it really defines the overall character of a system.

I have a friend who has a wonderful system based on SET Wavac amplifiers. We've put various preamps into the system, including my Premier 17, the CT-5 and his Shindo Giscours. But, when I think of what defines his system, it's always the Wavacs.

I know this is C-J thread, but these amps sound incredible...
http://photos.imageevent.com/puma_cat/fujix10pics/Wavac.jpg

Puma Cat
10-10-2013, 01:45 PM
+1 on the power amps!

I guess it would system configuration all too easy if power amps all sounded roughly the same. :D

What's astonishing to me is the number of people who DO think they all sound the same.

Rayooo
10-17-2013, 11:37 PM
Passing 50 hours with the ARTs..... :D
The only nose-dive so far I think happened around 10-15 hours.

They popped back into shape around 20 hours and I've notice only very slight changes (for the better) since...and I should state that I'm reading between the lines a bit on these perceived changes.

I've settled on cage-less. I like both looks, but got tired of going through the gymnastics each time to install or remove the cages, so, they are now packed away in the boxes and out of reach. Good, now I'm not tempted again.:scratch2:

In any case, I couldn't be happier, Other than the heat, I can't detect a single down-side to their sound when compared to my previous Amps.
What's a little heat anyway, bring on the snow.:D:no:

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-aapm1dwnVyA/Ul_sxrzFd3I/AAAAAAAAKi4/xww8LI9UTMY/w1110-h834-no/RO0_3212.JPG

CJinSC
10-17-2013, 11:44 PM
Wow - I thought my LP140's were pretty, but those ART's would make ya slap your momma!!

What a honey of a system - since your not a 100% satisfied with the GAT, we can just do an even trade for my CT5 :)

Rayooo
10-17-2013, 11:50 PM
Wow - I thought my LP140's were pretty, but those ART's would make ya slap your momma!!

What a honey of a system - since your not a 100% satisfied with the GAT, we can just do an even trade for my CT5 :)

:yes::yes: CT5 is lovely!!! :yes: as are your LP140s, :thumbsup: but I'm keeping my GAT and ARTs !

Coppy
10-18-2013, 07:08 AM
Cages off is a great look Ray.

Not sure I even remember exactly where the cages are for the LP140s. Can't use them anyway with the KT120s in but the amps look so good without the metal on them.

Enjoy,
Bob

repman
10-18-2013, 09:22 AM
WOW !!!! congrats on those beauty's I bet you are in heaven with that system. All the best with it I'm sure they will bring you yrs. of enjoyment.

Rayooo
10-18-2013, 10:43 AM
WOW !!!! congrats on those beauty's I bet you are in heaven with that system. All the best with it I'm sure they will bring you yrs. of enjoyment.

They'd better! I'm Done, Done, Done buying Preamps and Power Amps! :music:

jdandy
10-18-2013, 08:40 PM

Rayooo.......Sure wish I could remember how many times I said that same thing. . :whistle:

Masterlu
10-18-2013, 08:42 PM

$20 in the jar every time you say that! ;)

http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4116/5448560484_cb6450a93e_z.jpg

Before you know it, you'll have enough for your next component. :)

Briz Vegaas
10-19-2013, 03:12 AM
It's just some timber and glass, I mean tubes, I mean valves. :-)

Timber and glass ain't that interesting.

http://im.rediff.com/money/2011/may/12wine9.jpg

.......or I could be wrong :-)

Rayooo
10-19-2013, 06:25 AM
Rayooo.......Sure wish I could remember how many times I said that same thing. . :whistle:

$20 in the jar every time you say that! ;)

http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4116/5448560484_cb6450a93e_z.jpg

Before you know it, you'll have enough for your next component. :)

ahhhhhhh, crapo, I just hate it when you guys are absolutely right! please stop so I can live in my fantasy land for a few days. :stars: OBTW, I may need "Summer" power amp(s) :lmao: and there is that "upstairs system" I've been thinking about tinkering with a bit. :sigh:

Rayooo
10-19-2013, 06:30 AM
It's just some timber and glass, I mean tubes, I mean valves. :-)

Timber and glass ain't that interesting.

http://im.rediff.com/money/2011/may/12wine9.jpg

.......or I could be wrong :-)

'come to think of it, magical things often come in glass. A glass of wine and an evening with those glowing electron filled glass tubes.

Ok, I admit it, great things come in Vinyl also, and the one I'm thinking of at the moment, isn't music. :eek:

Coppy
10-19-2013, 06:57 AM
ahhhhhhh, crapo, I just hate it when you guys are absolutely right! please stop so I can live in my fantasy land for a few days. :stars: OBTW, I may need "Summer" power amp(s) :lmao: and there is that "upstairs system" I've been thinking about tinkering with a bit. :sigh:

BTW, for what it's worth, I just read in the new TAS system set-up tips that solid state source equipment is often made to operate a a certain temperature and we should be careful not to let the heat generated by our tube stuff over warm them.

Let's keep it just between us, but the real reason to have a summer amp is to have some thing more to play with.

Bob

Briz Vegaas
10-19-2013, 09:13 AM
That explains the reaction to my summer tubes thread.

I have a $5000 Naim power supply sitting on a shelf that is 10 cm above my amp. I monitor how hot the glass gets, but so far nothing too worrying. It just gets warm but it's all open at three sides. Maybe inked to create a chimney effect, doesn't that draw heat away better. I read that somewhere.