PDA

View Full Version : AMG Viella V12 Turntable

jdandy
09-16-2013, 09:44 PM
I see where Stereophile Magazine has given the AMG Viella V12 Turntable an A+ rating. I have thought this to be an attractive turntable since I first saw it. Does anyone have any hands on experience with the AMG Viella V12?

Photos and illustrations from Dagogo

http://dagogo.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/AMG-Viella-3.jpg

http://dagogo.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/AMG-Viella-1.jpg

http://dagogo.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/AMG-Viella-4.jpg

http://dagogo.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/AMG-Viella-5.jpg

Still-One
09-16-2013, 10:05 PM
My Dealer has had one on display but I haven't spent any time listening to it. It sure is nice looking.

jdandy
09-16-2013, 10:16 PM
The cherry wood or piano black skirt is optional.

http://www.amg-turntables.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/wood_skirts-300x203.jpg

http://www.amg-turntables.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/muster_det_01.jpg

Puma Cat
09-16-2013, 10:58 PM
I personally don't have any hands-on experience with it, but I can tell you that since it's appeared, it has become the "de facto standard" for turntables at the audio shows. I see more AMG Viellas in more rooms that any other 'table. That should speak volumes right there...

turntable
09-16-2013, 11:05 PM
It still looks like a Brinkman :D

-E-
09-16-2013, 11:22 PM
Yes. It is a superb table.

Puma Cat
09-16-2013, 11:23 PM
It still looks like a Brinkman :D

Not surprising since AMG was the OEM engineering house for Brinkmann.

jdandy
09-16-2013, 11:27 PM
I personally don't have any hands-on experience with it, but I can tell you that since it's appeared, it has become the "de facto standard" for turntables at the audio shows. I see more AMG Viellas in more rooms that any other 'table. That should speak volumes right there...

Stephen.......I have noticed that.

AMG Viella 12 Turntable and Tonearm | The Absolute Sound (http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/amg-viella-12-turntable-and-tonearm/)

Puma Cat
09-16-2013, 11:30 PM
It hasn't gone un-noticed by me, either, Dan! ;)

Also, whomever did the product photography certainly knows what they are doing.

BillK
09-17-2013, 02:18 AM
My dealer has one I've listened to on multiple occasions and it sounds absolutely wonderful.

That having been said, I really like what the periphery ring does for albums on my VPI SSM, and wish there was something similar that could flatten edge warps on the AMG.

Bodhisattva
09-17-2013, 03:17 AM
I've heard this table in my Dealer's showroom. It has a very nice form factor, lovely timber and a very nice 12" tonearm. It is also one of the few high end turntables which can play 78's. it sounds solid and harmonically rich (perhaps helped by the wood base). Bass is good but not in your face. It is also very resolving and quiet. Nothing calls attention to itself. You know, I remember talking up this tt on another forum and got yelled down by someone connected to the local Brinkmann Distributor who described Werner Roeschlau as norhing more than a "machinist" who made a few bits for Brinkmann. Tools, look at the accolades now! :madani: If I wanted a tt, I would buy this and an ARC Reference phono stage and live happily ever after, alas I don't have the room for a tt and vinyl in my apartment unfortunately :(

MyPal
09-17-2013, 03:40 AM
Elegant. I look forward to seeing it at The Australian Audio & AV Show next month at the Melbourne Marriott.

tunes
09-17-2013, 02:53 PM
It is an exquisitely made treasure. Paired with the AMG 12" arm and a Jan Allaerts, it creates goosebumps :)
The screwdown clamp is very good at minimizing dished/warped lps so a periphery ring is likely unnecessary.
Only design flaw i have noted is that one of the three access holes for adjusting the footers is under the platter and this is a little awkward to adjust after placing the platter on. The platter is intended to go on and stay on till you die and your relatives donate your mysterious audio gear to goodwill ;)

slowGEEZR
09-17-2013, 03:44 PM
My dealer has one I've listened to on multiple occasions and it sounds absolutely wonderful.

That having been said, I really like what the periphery ring does for albums on my VPI SSM, and wish there was something similar that could flatten edge warps on the AMG.

TT-Weights has that covered. They have multiple styles. Here's the latest..."The Silver Bullet Compact Deluxe"

ttweights.com/catalog/item/8822384/9917322.htm

turntable
09-21-2013, 03:55 AM
I see where Stereophile Magazine has given the AMG Viella V12 Turntable an A+ rating. I have thought this to be an attractive turntable since I first saw it. Does anyone have any hands on experience with the AMG Viella V12?

Photos and illustrations from Dagogo

http://dagogo.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/AMG-Viella-3.jpg

http://dagogo.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/AMG-Viella-1.jpg

http://dagogo.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/AMG-Viella-4.jpg

http://dagogo.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/AMG-Viella-5.jpg

Hey Dan.

A small but important correction in audiophile ocd terms. :D The table only got an A. Not an A+.

When I read this I was very surprised that Fremer would put the AMG on the same plane as his beloved reference Continuum. My turntable ocd was aroused. But when I received my Stereophile today I saw the rating and it was an A with 15 other tables

Cheers

jfrech
09-21-2013, 08:43 AM
It is an exquisitely made treasure. Paired with the AMG 12" arm and a Jan Allaerts, it creates goosebumps :)
The screwdown clamp is very good at minimizing dished/warped lps so a periphery ring is likely unnecessary.
Only design flaw i have noted is that one of the three access holes for adjusting the footers is under the platter and this is a little awkward to adjust after placing the platter on. The platter is intended to go on and stay on till you die and your relatives donate your mysterious audio gear to goodwill ;)

Which Allaerts? I'm using a MC2 Finish and just a wonderful cartridge....

Down Under
09-23-2013, 08:55 AM
A small but important correction in audiophile ocd terms. :D The table only got an A. Not an A+.

When I read this I was very surprised that Fremer would put the AMG on the same plane as his beloved reference Continuum. My turntable ocd was aroused. But when I received my Stereophile today I saw the rating and it was an A with 15 other tables

Thankyou for the clarification.Others with turntable OCD can now finally get some rest.I know that even high dose Zyprexa was not helping.
God bless you Shane

tunes
09-23-2013, 08:59 AM
Which Allaerts? I'm using a MC2 Finish and just a wonderful cartridge....

The finish. Love the cart but it requires a bit of trial to find a good matched phono pre. I like the tron.

Puma Cat
09-23-2013, 03:26 PM
I don't understand Stereophile ratings, to be honest. Back when J Gordon Holt implemented them, there was only one product in a category that was rated Class A, the best. The best, by definition, is the best. How can you have 15 products that are all the best? Conflicts with the definition of the word. Then you get A+ ratings. So that is better than the best, I guess. The problem is that Stereophile doesn't really define how they actually measure and place products into a specific category; there are no clear operational definitions. Why not re-rank A+ as A, then current A level products would be "B".

Having A+ is like having an amp that goes to "11"

Jerome W
09-23-2013, 03:40 PM
I don't understand Stereophile ratings, to be honest. Back when J Gordon Holt implemented them, there was only one product in a category that was rated Class A, the best. The best, by definition, is the best. How can you have 15 products that are all the best? Conflicts with the definition of the word. Then you get A+ ratings. So that is better than the best, I guess. The problem is that Stereophile doesn't really define how they actually measure and place products into a specific category; there are no clear operational definitions. Why not re-rank A+ as A, then current A level products would be "B".

Stephen,
I agree with most of your remarks except that in audio, like in many others subjective matters, "best" does not exist.
Because vanilla is not better than chocolate.
Of course, you prefer CJ to most brands and I prefer Shindo. But no one is "better" than ARC or McIntosh. It is just a matter of personal preferences.

Puma Cat
09-23-2013, 03:53 PM
Absolutely, Jerome! :)

jdandy
09-23-2013, 04:09 PM

Stephen.......If you viewed Stereophile magazine the way I do everything becomes much clearer. First and foremost, it is a printed publication designed as a profit making vehicle for its owners and a paycheck for the contributors. The equipment ratings and reviews are a means to keeping the advertising revenue flowing in the right direction. Second, Stereophile is not a factual reference by any stretch of the imagination, it is opinion based publishing, although I do give credit to the equipment specification measurements that are reported. Third, it's entertainment, not an audio bible. The publisher, editors, reviewers, and advertisers are the ones that take the publication seriously. It's their income source. If the truth be known, I think even the owners know it's entertainment but they want you to be a believer and a constant consumer of their points of view.

For me, reading Stereophile, like all audio publications, is a great way to pass some time while being temporarily entertained and amused by the opinions of others, and that's about it. I'll leave it to those who publish and write for the magazine to worry about it's true value.

rlw3
09-23-2013, 06:34 PM
I thought Stereophile's top rating was for gear that was "state of the art." Can you have various items in the same catagory that are state of the art even if they were different? I once emailed the editor and suggested that the reviews had some built in biases, such as solid state gear getting a pass if they did not do depth well which is the area tubes shine. i had noticed some solid state reviews did not even mention depth. i thought this actually to be fair because you do not do small truck auto reviews and measure it by the same standards as a sports car. His response was very negative. The magazines help provide a short list of candidates for purchase amongst gear you would not have heard about otherwise.

Puma Cat
09-23-2013, 11:54 PM
Stephen.......If you viewed Stereophile magazine the way I do everything becomes much clearer. First and foremost, it is a printed publication designed as a profit making vehicle for its owners and a paycheck for the contributors. The equipment ratings and reviews are a means to keeping the advertising revenue flowing in the right direction. Second, Stereophile is not a factual reference by any stretch of the imagination, it is opinion based publishing, although I do give credit to the equipment specification measurements that are reported. Third, it's entertainment, not an audio bible. The publisher, editors, reviewers, and advertisers are the ones that take the publication seriously. It's their income source. If the truth be known, I think even the owners know it's entertainment but they want you to be a believer and a constant consumer of their points of view.

For me, reading Stereophile, like all audio publications, is a great way to pass some time while being temporarily entertained and amused by the opinions of others, and that's about it. I'll leave it to those who publish and write for the magazine to worry about it's true value.

Completely agree, Dan, on all points. It's clear the awarding of A ratings to multiple products of a given component is a marketing tool to drive revenue through ad sales. It's completely anti-thetical to the original ratings given by J Gordon Holt.

Myles B. Astor
09-24-2013, 05:39 AM
Perhaps Ivan can invite John Atkinson to respond to the question? John's always on the net willing to answer questions regarding Stereophile.

asiufy
09-24-2013, 09:26 AM
Having more than one item in a specific class is not a problem, AFAIK. What I find fault is to have gear of such disparate prices in the same category, specially when they claim "Class A" is the absolute best, price notwithstanding. So, we're led to believe that $3000 and $40000 equipment are both "the best there is". Kinda puzzling, if you ask me. If only they added a qualifier for price, like TAS does, it'd make much more sense.

alexandre

jdandy
09-24-2013, 09:12 PM
Completely agree, Dan, on all points. It's clear the awarding of A ratings to multiple products of a given component is a marketing tool to drive revenue through ad sales. It's completely anti-thetical to the original ratings given by J Gordon Holt.

Stephen.......I couldn't even get through Stereophile's class A rated turntable list before I got bored with the whole rating thing. I haven't even perused the rest of the rated equipment. I just don't care anymore. I guess that's why I plan to let all of my audio subscriptions lapse without renewal. I'd rather listen to music. :thumbsup:

Puma Cat
09-24-2013, 11:52 PM
Completely agree, Dan.

miner
09-25-2013, 01:36 PM
Ratings are opinions....just paid for.

Cellindo
09-25-2013, 05:18 PM
Very very nice looking TT. German made quality, moreover.
It's a pity the company founder passed away in Feb. 2013 (from what I read on the Web).

Sent from my iPhone using A.Aficionado

jdandy
09-25-2013, 06:43 PM
Very very nice looking TT. German made quality, moreover.
It's a pity the company founder passed away in Feb. 2013 (from what I read on the Web).

Laurent.......I agree. The appearance and design are both beautiful and unique. If I were more committed to vinyl than I am, I would seriously consider the AMG Viella V12 turntable.

http://mikeshouts.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/AMG-Viella-12-Turntable-5.jpg

http://www.audioalternative.com/DSC_8013A.jpg

Puma Cat
09-26-2013, 10:53 AM
Beautiful table, but it's not like you have a slouch of a turntable with your Michell Gyro SE and SME!

jdandy
09-26-2013, 10:58 AM
Beautiful table, but it's not like you have a slouch of a turntable with your Michell Gyro SE and SME!

Stephen.......I agree. The Michell Gyro SE and SME setup is very nice. Beyond the engineering of the AMG turntable, I am drawn to the unique shape and beauty of the optional wood skirt.

j3brow
09-26-2013, 12:09 PM
I am in agreement. This is one nice looking turntable!! If I was ever to replace my VPI, the AMG table would be a strong contender. I currently have carts that would pair up wonderfully in the Benz Gullwing SLR and LP-S.

russellhorn
10-01-2013, 07:57 PM
I would not consider an amp that didn't go to 11 :)

willyjack
10-01-2013, 10:08 PM

Thankyou for the clarification.Others with turntable OCD can now finally get some rest.I know that even high dose Zyprexa was not helping.
God bless you Shane

If we give ourselves over to stereophile ratings we should get out of vinyl altogether. Many A+ choices in digital. Few in turntables. I listened to my A+ CD player last night. Then my AMG v12. No contest the AMG was TWICE as good. Their ratings are flawed all the way around. If u look closely they are nothing more than price groupings by category of product.

Number95
10-02-2013, 06:40 AM
If we give ourselves over to stereophile ratings we should get out of vinyl altogether. Many A+ choices in digital. Few in turntables. I listened to my A+ CD player last night. Then my AMG v12. No contest the AMG was TWICE as good. Their ratings are flawed all the way around. If u look closely they are nothing more than price groupings by category of product.

+1

They also put Magico Q5 to Class A with Restricted Bass. They must have something wrong with their ears to resist hearing low frequencies by Q5. One may always find weaknesses almost with any product, but stating these as restricted bass is crazy. Last weekend I had a long listening of Q5 at a friend's system no way these can be classified such that.

Puma Cat
10-02-2013, 11:05 AM
It just shows how fouled up their rating system is. By definition, a speaker can't be Class A if it isn't full range, that is, goes down to 20 Hz. But, they really want to rate the Magico Class A, because Magico spends huge amounts of money on ad revenue in both TAS and Stereophile. So, they then bend the rules on Class A by rating it Class A, Restricted Bass.

It's completely ridiculous. Next thing you know, they'll have A+, Bass Ne Plus Ultra.

bzr
11-18-2014, 05:03 AM
It is very good with the right matching.....

John49
11-18-2014, 07:20 AM
It is very good with the right matching.....

Can we get back to the thread title?

If the AMG had been available at the time I was looking for a new turntable, it would have had a serious chance of being the one. And now it can take 2 arms, even better. I dare not get one to demo...

Dsholl1
11-18-2014, 04:22 PM
I have has my AMG for over 4 months. I have had SME. Kuzma ref, rega P9 and Dr Feickert woodpecker.

The AMG is in a different league to all of these.

I thing the tonearm plays a major part in it.

Having a whole package designed to work just for each other creates synergy.

Add a Benz cartridge like I have, and you can tell all your friends you own an AMG Benz

fjn04
12-02-2014, 07:01 PM
I just recently heard a Woddpecker, fitted with an Ortofon 212D and an EMT tsd-15. I thought it was quite good, very quiet, great micro-dynamics. Does the AMG trounce it?

bzr
12-02-2014, 07:43 PM
Can we get back to the thread title?

If the AMG had been available at the time I was looking for a new turntable, it would have had a serious chance of being the one. And now it can take 2 arms, even better. I dare not get one to demo...

I think you should, you already have the cartridge that it was designed with. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

http://i1096.photobucket.com/albums/g338/_bzr_/AMGV126_zps220946b8.jpg (http://s1096.photobucket.com/user/_bzr_/media/AMGV126_zps220946b8.jpg.html)

http://i1096.photobucket.com/albums/g338/_bzr_/_DSC0017_zpse9cc7dd7.jpg (http://s1096.photobucket.com/user/_bzr_/media/_DSC0017_zpse9cc7dd7.jpg.html)

bzr
12-03-2014, 04:25 AM
... & my it is a great sounding tt.....

Dsholl1
12-03-2014, 03:35 PM
I have a Benz micro wood SL saving my sheckels to get the LPS.

I notice that you have the Solution Pre. I just sold my Lamm phono and Vitus gear for the Solution 530.

The phono stage is quite remarkable easily outperforming the Lamm which I thought couldn't get any better.

bzr
12-08-2014, 03:27 AM
It is a good phono, as well as , "my what a preamp with a great phono as well". As with all things, further up the chain gets better & seperates certainly will improve things but it does take a considerable sum to get there!