PDA

View Full Version : dCS Scarlatti range software update

Elberoth
08-24-2013, 08:47 PM
dCS has just introduced a new software update for the Scarlatti DAC (v1.30) and transport, which allows DSD over SPDIF and encrypted DSD over Dual AES (like already adopted in the Vivaldi range).

It is important info for those wishing to play DSD files on the Scarlatti DAC, and also those who own Scarlatti stack and wanted to upgrade to the Vivaldi DAC without changing the transport.

The new features are:

1. The AES, RCA and BNC interfaces have been updated to accept DSD data in DoP format.

2. The Dual AES interface will accept PCM data at 352.8 & 384kHz, DSD in DoP format and dCS encrypted DSD (from a Vivaldi transport or Scarlatti transport with software update v1.11 or later).

I belive same software updates were made available to the Paganini range.

jfrech
08-28-2013, 11:07 PM
Interesting, i wonder if dual aes on my scarlatii trans is better than firewire to my scarlati dac? Any thoughts?

Nostromo
08-29-2013, 09:08 PM
I have On my scarlatti transport wireworld platinum aes and i am
trying a siltech GOLDEN eagle rca digital to compare
Any opinions about the best connections between aes or rca to the dac ?

Elberoth
08-30-2013, 02:09 AM
No idea - I haven't tried it. Should sound the same though.

jfrech
08-30-2013, 06:53 AM
Hi, I have friend with a Scarlatti stack...he listens to redbook a lot...and he swears the AES/EBU interface sounds better than firewire. I might have to give this new software update a try...might be a month or two...will report back if I try it...

I am using a Audioquest Diamond firewire cable...and I can certainly here the diff here between stock firewire...

asiufy
08-30-2013, 08:58 AM
I believe AES is the way to go, at least from my experience with the Paganini.
You'll be able to do double AES, and with the new update, get DSD over (double) AES, and not rely on the old Firewire method.
IME, Firewire was "softer" than AES/EBU, less resolving even. And that was with a Crystal Cable Firewire cable ($$$).

Nostromo, forget the RCA, get two (identical) AES cables and be happy! If you don't have them, let me know and you can borrow mine :)

alexandre

Nostromo
08-30-2013, 03:41 PM
Asyufi

I have 3 aes cables by wireworld and firewire by Cristal Cable and everything works fine

I ve received the siltech golden eagle 75 to compare with the Wireworld AES
In fact despite of the price of Siltech cable ( U$ 4.000,00 brand new) the performance was in the same level

asiufy
08-30-2013, 04:34 PM
Ah, nice. So did you try both Wireworlds (AES) versus the Crystal Firewire?
As I wrote, on my Paganini, the AES was usually better...

alexandre

Nostromo
08-30-2013, 09:37 PM
Ah, nice. So did you try both Wireworlds (AES) versus the Crystal Firewire?
As I wrote, on my Paganini, the AES was usually better...

alexandre

Asyufi

I have tried diferente inputs AES with wireworld and rca with Siltech GOLDEN eagle transport to upsampler cable

No diferences noted , the siltech is 4 folds as extensível as wireworld

jfrech
09-07-2013, 02:13 PM
I believe AES is the way to go, at least from my experience with the Paganini.
You'll be able to do double AES, and with the new update, get DSD over (double) AES, and not rely on the old Firewire method.
IME, Firewire was "softer" than AES/EBU, less resolving even. And that was with a Crystal Cable Firewire cable ($$$).

Nostromo, forget the RCA, get two (identical) AES cables and be happy! If you don't have them, let me know and you can borrow mine :)

alexandre

Interesting...exactly what i was wondering...I think I'll have to try this! Were you using stock or fancy AES cables vs your crystal firewire?

Nostromo
09-07-2013, 07:37 PM
Interesting...exactly what i was wondering...I think I'll have to try this! Were you using stock or fancy AES cables vs your crystal firewire?

Wireworld platinun aes

jfrech
01-23-2014, 11:07 PM
I have 4 new transparent cables on the way. 2 reference xl bnc-bnc for my clock and dual aes tranparent ref xl (with the new software) from scarlatti trans to scarlati dac... Should all be here in a few days...will let u know what i think vs firewire

jfrech
02-01-2014, 08:27 AM
So my Scarlatti dac and trans software is updated. I replaced my Audioquest Diamond firewire with Dual AES Transparent Ref XL digital cables. The Transparent need 200 hours to break in...I have about 18 hours. But holy smokes is this a BIG improvement. I feel like I got a new DAC or something...will post more as the cables break in...but Dual AES is clearly the better path...

joeling
02-02-2014, 10:06 AM
This is good info thanks

jfrech
02-08-2014, 10:16 AM
Now my new Transparent Ref XL digital cables have about 180 hours on them...they should be through the breakin process mostly.

I can enthusiastically say this is a major upgrade going dual aes vs firewire. Much better resolution, much better demensionality, lower noise (it's so quiet now)...which allows the dynamics and textures to really jump and/or bloom.

I feel like I got a new digital front end.

Substantial improvements across the board...nothing went backwards. I am happy