PDA

View Full Version : Bat vk-300xse

Formerly YB-2
08-22-2013, 06:18 PM
Have always wondered about the VK-300XSE and got an excellent deal on one with all the options today. Remote, phono, 6H30 'super-tube' upgrade. The works. Am away until 9/3, so won't get it installed until that week. Am looking forward to some good listening. The VK-30 with power supply upgrade is the best sounding preamp I've had in any of my systems and am hoping that the VK-300XSE is similar. Pic's once everything is up and running.

When did the server start 'uncapping' our posts? It isn't Bat, its BAT. Same with the VK & XSE.

chessman
08-23-2013, 01:33 PM
Glenn, I am extremely interested in your impressions. I am betting you will be thrilled. ;)

Formerly YB-2
08-23-2013, 07:23 PM
Am certainly hoping so. The BAT VK-30 preamp is easily the best sounding preamp I've had in any of my systems. Hoping that the VK-300X is its equal.

myjazz123
08-27-2013, 03:31 PM
IS your VK-300XSE gping to be a brand new from manufcturer, I heard BAT stopped making this integrated.

Formerly YB-2
08-27-2013, 06:44 PM
Spoke with Victor Khomenko a couple of days ago and he mentioned nothing about stopping production of same. Still listed on their website, as well.

jdandy
08-27-2013, 06:56 PM
Glenn.......The BAT VK-300XSE looks well designed. From this photo it appears to be a dual mono design with independent power supplies for each channel. I think this integrated amp is going to impress you.

Formerly YB-2
08-27-2013, 08:19 PM
Hi Dan - indeed it is as you describe as well as being fully-balanced from input to output, which is a rather unique feature for an integrated amp. Will be an interesting test between the on-board phono-stage and the Nova as to which one will be for MC and which for MM.

jdandy
08-27-2013, 08:33 PM
Glenn.......You're right. A fully balanced preamp and two channel power amplifier on a single chassis is unique. I will be looking for your impressions once the VK-300XSE is set up and making music.

The Absolute Sound did a nice review of the BAT VK-300XSE: http://www.balanced.com/reviews/reviews/TAS_VK-300xSE/

Formerly YB-2
08-28-2013, 01:24 PM
Thanks. Did read the review through the link on the BAT website before deciding to give the VK-300XSE a try.

Any chance we can get a BAT forum for us BAT'ers?

Shaffer
08-29-2013, 07:21 AM
Glenn.......The BAT VK-300XSE looks well designed. From this photo it appears to be a dual mono design with independent power supplies for each channel. I think this integrated amp is going to impress you.

http://www.10audio.com/images/BAT_VK31SE.jpg

^^^ That's a preamp. No amplifier inside.

Edit: This seems to represent the integrated:

http://www.audiohum.es/WebRoot/acens/Shops/audiohum_es/MediaGallery/23101000012.jpg

Formerly YB-2
08-29-2013, 07:56 AM
Believe that's it. Dual 6H30 tubes of the SE version. The 6922 has four tubes and the solid-state (horrors :yikes:) none.

Joe Appierto
08-29-2013, 08:25 AM
The balanced design makes it so beautifully symmetrical. It's gotten great reviews and I imagine you're going to be very pleased. Congratulations, Glenn.

jdandy
08-29-2013, 10:52 AM
^^^ That's a preamp. No amplifier inside.

Edit: This seems to represent the integrated:

http://www.audiohum.es/WebRoot/acens/Shops/audiohum_es/MediaGallery/23101000012.jpg

Felix.......Thanks for the correction.

chessman
08-29-2013, 02:12 PM
Thanks. Did read the review through the link on the BAT website before deciding to give the VK-300XSE a try.

Any chance we can get a BAT forum for us BAT'ers?

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Formerly YB-2
08-29-2013, 10:11 PM
And, as always, Ivan comes through................
BAT Audio Technology - AudioAficionado.org (http://www.audioaficionado.org/bat-audio-technology/)

Mlfan
08-30-2013, 02:35 AM
Now I have another place to hang out with BAT folks besides Mcintosh. Thanks Ivan.

chessman
08-30-2013, 10:59 AM
Pat, fill out your sig so we can see what you got. :)

mikem
08-30-2013, 02:17 PM
Glen- I had a BAT VK300XSE in my system for a year or so. It was an amazing component and I wish I still had it. I moved on to separates from another manufacture. I am sure you will enjoy it!

Formerly YB-2
09-03-2013, 08:46 PM
IS your VK-300XSE going to be a brand new from manufacturer, I heard BAT stopped making this integrated.
Now that the new BAT Website is up it appears you are correct. No more integrated amp. I'll bet they will build one out of parts-on-hand for a while, but would be nice to see an updated new one. Too bad.

BillBaird
09-04-2013, 08:20 AM
My dealer has been telling me that Balanced Audio was probably going to stop making the VK-300x integrated. It's a little sad that it looks like this is finally coming to pass.

I've had a VK-300xSE in my system for a little over five years now, and I love it. For most of this time, I've used it as an integrated amp. For the last year or so, I've used the VK-300xSE as a pre-amp, driving a VK-250SE power amp. This is a fine combination.

When I purchased the VK-250SE, I also auditioned the VK-42SE pre-amp, but I actually favored using the VK-300xSE as the pre. A few months ago, I auditioned the VK-32SE pre. While I liked the VK-32SE better (even with five year old tubes in it), I couldn't bring myself to swap out the VK-300xSE. I'm still pondering the VK-32SE (or the VK-33SE), but for now I'm in no hurry. The VK-300xSE is wonderful.

Formerly YB-2
09-04-2013, 09:24 AM
My previous VK-30 (standard 6922 tube model with upgrades other than the 6H30 tubes) was truly excellent. Interesting that you find the VK-250SE better than the VK-300XSE. Aren't both rated at 150wpc?

Have you done any tube-rolling? If so, did you like one thing better than another? Pretty thin selection to choose from with the 6H30 tube. I've picked up a pair of matched Sovteks to plug to try, but the prices being asked for the NOS tubes are silly.

BillBaird
09-04-2013, 11:25 AM
My previous VK-30 (standard 6922 tube model with upgrades other than the 6H30 tubes) was truly excellent. Interesting that you find the VK-250SE better than the VK-300XSE. Aren't both rated at 150wpc?

Have you done any tube-rolling? If so, did you like one thing better than another? Pretty thin selection to choose from with the 6H30 tube. I've picked up a pair of matched Sovteks to plug to try, but the prices being asked for the NOS tubes are silly.

Both the VK-300xSE and the VK-250SE are indeed rated at 150W. In a short listening session, the two are amazingly close to one another. With an extended session, I found that I was more relaxed when the VK-250SE was doing the "power amping" chores. So more than just listening to the music, it was about feeling the music, and it just felt more right. Please don't take this as me criticizing the VK-300xSE - I love it. I am actually quite impressed by how close the VK-300xSE is to the VK-250SE (and even how close it is to the VK-32SE/VK-250SE combo.)

I've not done any tube rolling. I've replaced the 6H30's in my integrated two or three times, and I've always gone with the Sovteks. I'm on a particularly nice pair right now. I haven't been able to bring myself to shell out the money for the NOS ones. I would have to hear them first before I spend that kind of money.

Mlfan
09-05-2013, 10:52 AM
Pat, fill out your sig so we can see what you got. :)

Randy,

I just started with BAT VK6200 for multi channel SACD setup. Most of my gears are McIntosh as shown in a picture of the other thread here. Will update my sig this weekend. My next BAT item will be a SS pre. Still searching around. thx

Formerly YB-2
09-05-2013, 03:39 PM
Picked up my VK-300XSE about 2 hours ago. Took about ten minutes to figure out the programming, but is singing sweetly now. Absolutely terrific sound. I listen at low levels (near field) by almost any standard and think the VK-300XSE is offering better/more dynamics at the low to low-mids than anything else I've had in my system since the VK-30 I liked so much.
Thank you, Victor (and everyone else at BAT).

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n301/gpdavis2/DSCN5121.jpg (http://s115.photobucket.com/user/gpdavis2/media/DSCN5121.jpg.html)

chessman
09-05-2013, 03:44 PM
Glenn, CONGRATS!! :thumbsup:

Mlfan
09-05-2013, 04:14 PM
Picked up my VK-300XSE about 2 hours ago. Took about ten minutes to figure out the programming, but is singing sweetly now. Absolutely terrific sound. I listen at low levels (near field) by almost any standard and think the VK-300XSE is offering better/more dynamics at the low to low-mids than anything else I've had in my system since the VK-30 I liked so much.

Congrats, it is so tempted that I might be soon become a BATman. Please post few more photos if you could. Good looking unit.

BillBaird
09-05-2013, 05:25 PM

Congratulations! You picked a good one!

Formerly YB-2
09-05-2013, 08:03 PM
Thanks, all. Sounds great.
Pat - what are you thinking of for more pic's? Here is a far shot of my system. Have spare gear and gun cases all over the place as I pursue my warm weather hobby of competitive shooting until the end of October. Most listening during this time is background while I reload and do other shooting-related maintenance.

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n301/gpdavis2/DSCN5117.jpg (http://s115.photobucket.com/user/gpdavis2/media/DSCN5117.jpg.html)

Mlfan
09-06-2013, 12:41 AM
Glenn,

No wonder I dont see the chair, you are listening as background music while busy doing your other hobby. What I meant for more photo is your new BAT vk300x. I like the BAT look as much as Mc's. I may be acquiring some BAT units soon. A ss pre will be next add-on.

Victor Khomenko
09-06-2013, 08:49 AM
Thanks, all. Sounds great.
Pat - what are you thinking of for more pic's? Here is a far shot of my system. Have spare gear and gun cases all over the place as I pursue my warm weather hobby of competitive shooting until the end of October. Most listening during this time is background while I reload and do other shooting-related maintenance.

I need to show your picture to my wife - she keeps giving me hard time, my basement looks pretty much like that... except more junk! :)

Wow... another competitive shooter/reloader! Rifle - judging by the case? I shoot practical pistol, but had to miss most of the season due to torn rotator cuff, hope to do the first match this month.

Formerly YB-2
09-06-2013, 03:28 PM
Junk?!?!? That's not junk. It just looks that way to the untrained eye. ;) And, if you think it looks "busy", I should post a pic of the room at 180 from this uncluttered end.

F-Class rifle match in the morning at Cumberland Riflemen 600yd range in Millville, NJ and BPCR silhouette and target as well as rimfire silhouette at various places in PA, NJ throughout the season. Very busy time of the year as am shooting the Eastern Regional at the end of this month and SE Regional in GA at the end of Oct. Then I put the long-range toys away and shoot sporting clays and listen seriously to some great music on a terrific system (now BAT-centered, of course) as the weather turns cool.

BTW - Cumberland will finish a new practical pistol range sometime this fall and matches will open just in time for your return to action. Delaware Memorial Bridge and Route 47 directly to the range about 2mi east of Millville. Probably have a league night for same next year. Be happy to have you join in the fun. I'll be shooting a Kimber 1911 Gold Medal II in 9mm. And, if you haven't noticed, there is a "Shooting Sports" forum in the lounge here on AAf.

Victor Khomenko
09-06-2013, 03:35 PM
OK, OK... not junk... it is STUFF! :) Maybe some day I will post the pic of my basement. :)

Thank you for heads up regarding the range... but I am gun-shy about going to NJ - I have done that, and every time I felt like an outlaw - your state is crazy one. So I am limiting my trips to PA and MD - they are whole lot friendlier! And I will check out the shooting forum!

Formerly YB-2
09-06-2013, 07:12 PM
We have lots of competitors coming over from PA, DE, MD & NY. Just don't drive with a loaded gun or have a magazine that will hold more than 15rds. No question we have crazy gun laws. And some would have them even crazier.

Victor Khomenko
09-07-2013, 08:30 AM
Yes, I know, and I have been to the Old Bridge and Central Jersey matches before, but I shoot Open, and the idea of driving through the state with a bunch of 30 round mags in the trunk does not exactly appeal to me. Especially when I have local options. This is shame, because they have a lot of good activities there.

tom_hankins
09-07-2013, 01:05 PM
Randy,

I just started with BAT VK6200 for multi channel SACD setup. Most of my gears are McIntosh as shown in a picture of the other thread here. Will update my sig this weekend. My next BAT item will be a SS pre. Still searching around. thx

I used the BAT VK-42se with Krell, BAT, VTL, and Manley amps and it was very good with all of them. Top of my list SS preamp. I had it in system for over two years and lots of amps to use with it.

Mlfan
09-07-2013, 06:18 PM
I used the BAT VK-42se with Krell, BAT, VTL, and Manley amps and it was very good with all of them. Top of my list SS preamp. I had it in system for over two years and lots of amps to use with it.

It looks like you are mixing up with different brands to create the best shot from your system. Pls post photos for sharing if you could. thx

tom_hankins
09-08-2013, 05:13 AM
It looks like you are mixing up with different brands to create the best shot from your system. Pls post photos for sharing if you could. thx

Its been all BAT for about 2 1/2 years. VK-P10 phono, REX preamp and a pr. of REX amps.

Formerly YB-2
09-08-2013, 01:08 PM
Down in my cave trying to prep some new brass for up-coming matches after a round of sporting clays this morning. Keep getting distracted by how good the VK-300XSE sounds. Find myself listening to the music rather than prepping the brass. That, at least to me, says a great deal about what I'm hearing.

chessman
09-08-2013, 02:50 PM
Its been all BAT for about 2 1/2 years. VK-P10 phono, REX preamp and a pr. of REX amps.

My goodness, what an awesome rig!! :thumbsup:

Formerly YB-2
02-26-2014, 04:21 PM
Just spoke to Victor and he tells me the new VK-3000xSE integrated amp should be on their website shortly. Nice to see that the VK-300xSE has been updated.

chessman
02-26-2014, 06:23 PM
Just spoke to Victor and he tells me the new VK-3000xSE integrated amp should be on their website shortly. Nice to see that the VK-300xSE has been updated.

Great! We need some BAT action around here. :)

Formerly YB-2
12-04-2015, 09:39 PM
Found a nice VK-300XSE. Should have by the end of next week. Hope it arrives in good shape during the Xmas rush.

chessman
12-04-2015, 10:00 PM
Glenn, congrats! Of course, we will need a full report on this fine integrated. :)

Formerly YB-2
12-04-2015, 10:28 PM
Absolutely. May be a bit, as we are headed out of the country shortly after Xmas. Got one of the later models with the knob for volume adjustment. This is my 3rd BAT piece, but my first with the 6H30 tube. Will be interesting to compare to my memory of the 6922 tubes in the previous pieces.

Ack!! My wife just caught me. :tears::grumpy::nono::cry::yikes:
She said the BAT is going into the living room with a turntable for 'our' listening enjoyment. Good thing I've hung onto that second set of decent speakers.

Formerly YB-2
12-18-2015, 07:20 PM
Dropped by the BAT facility this morning. They are only about an hour from the house. The display in my VK-300xSE is 'weak' and I want to be able to see it from across the room, so having it replaced and a new set of tubes installed. A pretty busy place. Victor was in conference, but did take the time to come over and say 'hello'. Will drop by and pick it up after we return the middle of next month.

Formerly YB-2
01-30-2016, 04:08 PM
Picked up the VK-300xSE from Victor last week (actually, it was Vladimir) and it is singing sweetly with new set of matched 6H30s from Upscale Audio and the new display (they seem to last about 10yr, depending on how much they are on, before starting to dim). The downside is we've decided we need to travel more. To accomplish same we are going to move into the condo and sell the house. So either the BAT or Cary integrated amp needs to go as will no longer have two systems.

Formerly YB-2
03-22-2016, 06:47 PM
Had an occasion to visit the BAT folks today and met Steve Bednarski for the first time (met Victor the first time some years ago). I was chatting with Vladimir about changing out the coupling-caps in my VK-300xSE and mentioned going from the Jensen oil caps to Clarity caps. Steve joined us and we had a nice discussion about the various sound signatures of caps, etc.

We also discussed the possibility of swapping out the 6H30 'supertube' board for a 6922 board so I could do some tube rolling. Both boards are plug-in, but there are a few components on the main board that need to be changed with the board swap and I don't want to dig in to it that far. So, the plan is to change the coupling caps, which is quite straight-forward. Neither Steve nor Vladimir is a particular fan of the 6922 compared to the 6H30.

In addition, we talked about the 6H30 tube and what is available. Vladimir tells me that NOS 6H30 tubes are considerably different (as in far better) than the current production. The NOS tubes were all made for the USSR military and not to a price-point, as today. So my next up-grade is going to be a pair of the NOS 6H30 tubes. Vladimir also told me that he personally tests all tubes that BAT uses in their gear. For the 6H30 that is at least two days of run-time as well as a full gamut of testing on a tube tester. If I understood correctly, it takes so much time that tubes are tested on an 'as needed' basis (when a new piece of gear needs a set or someone orders replacement tubes). Not sure what other tube equipment manufacturers are doing with the tubes supplied with their gear, but with BAT you can be assured that you are getting a fully tested tube that they will stand behind for a full year.

Also got to see the new 'all silver' gear. There was a VK-53SE & a matching VK-255SE on the shelf in silver. Very striking in appearance.

All-in-all it was a very nice visit and I appreciate the time that Steve and Vladimir took to talk with me.

Gary S
11-19-2017, 10:37 PM
I've had my VK-300SE in place for five years. I optimized the setup and have resisted any change in setup till now. The sound is really good used as a nearfield setup. Today I inserted two new items into the setup which are a BAT VK-3000SE and Focal Sopra N2. I have set the spikes and am pleased with the high level of detail and airy presence. Never was unhappy with the 300 but wanted to fill up the room with a different sound. I pulled some cd's from the past and enjoyed them much more than prev. Cat Power, Aimee Mann, Sinead O'Connor -very listenable. Good pricing is available at this time on the 3000 integrated. So now the setup is Esoteric X-05 with Nordost SPM ic and Tyr spk. The speakers are of course a big upgrade and the int-amp seem quite capable of driving them. I was previously using Penaudio Rebel II and Chara lower tower. The VK-300se still keeps a spot in the rack though.

tom_hankins
12-17-2017, 06:52 AM
I've had my VK-300SE in place for five years. I optimized the setup and have resisted any change in setup till now. The sound is really good used as a nearfield setup. Today I inserted two new items into the setup which are a BAT VK-3000SE and Focal Sopra N2. I have set the spikes and am pleased with the high level of detail and airy presence. Never was unhappy with the 300 but wanted to fill up the room with a different sound. I pulled some cd's from the past and enjoyed them much more than prev. Cat Power, Aimee Mann, Sinead O'Connor -very listenable. Good pricing is available at this time on the 3000 integrated. So now the setup is Esoteric X-05 with Nordost SPM ic and Tyr spk. The speakers are of course a big upgrade and the int-amp seem quite capable of driving them. I was previously using Penaudio Rebel II and Chara lower tower. The VK-300se still keeps a spot in the rack though.

Congratulations on the new BAT integrated! I bet it and the new Focal's sound great.

Formerly YB-2
01-16-2018, 08:21 AM
Latest TAS, Feb 2018, has a review of the VK-3000SE. Very positive.

mav52
01-19-2018, 04:00 PM
I've been looking at a used VK-300XSE which has been re-certified by BAT. Anyone know the differences between the older VK-300xSE and the 3000SE ?

Thank you

Formerly YB-2
01-19-2018, 05:12 PM
I don't, but the reviews usually list the upgrades/differences. Also, you could call BAT and ask. The owners' are most willing to discuss most any BAT related issue. Living less than an hour from BAT makes me almost sorry that I no longer own any of their gear. Was always a good visit to their place. :thumbsup:

PHC1
01-19-2018, 06:31 PM
I also enjoyed my time with BAT. Solid gear, solid value, especially if you can save some $$$ buying re-certified.

chessman
01-19-2018, 08:48 PM
I am an obvious fan - I have had mine for 7 years. :banana:

PHC1
01-19-2018, 08:49 PM
I am an obvious fan - I have had mine for 7 years. :banana:

:thumbsup:

johndoe21ro
01-21-2018, 04:19 AM
I don't, but the reviews usually list the upgrades/differences. Also, you could call BAT and ask. The owners' are most willing to discuss most any BAT related issue. Living less than an hour from BAT makes me almost sorry that I no longer own any of their gear. Was always a good visit to their place. :thumbsup:

Now's the time to do something about it! :D
Pre-amp/Digital: exaSound e32 w UpTone JS-2 Power Supply; SOtM tX-USBultra w UpTone LPS1.2; Apple Mac Mini w UpTone DC Conversion Kit & UpTone JS-2 Power Supply; Squeezelite w Logitech Media Server 7.9.0
Speakers: Triangle Magellan Cello II
Cables: AudioQuest WEL XLR, AudioQuest Everest, AudioQuest Hurricane HC, AudioQuest NRG-1000, AudioQuest Diamond USB
Rack: Solid Tech Hybrid
Tweaks: Omicron Stabilizzatore Armonico & Gold Evolution SE; IsoTek Sigmas GII w Optimum EVO3; Furutech FT-SWS (R) AC Outlet; Synergistic Research Blue Quantum Fuse

mav52
02-22-2018, 09:42 AM
Thank you for the information