PDA

View Full Version : Columbia Record LP Label

miketuason
08-13-2013, 11:17 PM
Both the same album/LP but two different Columbia label. Is there any difference between the two, does one has better sound quality than the other?

http://www.audioaficionado.org/attachments/vinyl-accessories/28664d1376450225-columbia-record-lp-label-download.jpg http://www.audioaficionado.org/attachments/vinyl-accessories/28665d1376450232-columbia-record-lp-label-download.jpeg-2.jpg

Whart
08-14-2013, 02:29 AM
The 'two eye' on the right is earlier. Sonically, it probably depends on whether and when the record was issued for the first time when the two eye label was extant; otherwise, even the two eye would be a later pressing. But, for a record that was first released under the two eye label (which was discontinued around 1970), it could be a first or early pressing and potentially sound better, see below. Whether the vinyl quality itself got worse over the course of a couple year interval is probably less of a question than what tapes/stampers, etc the record is taken from- theoretically, the earlier the better. Some of my copies of Chicago 1 and 2 for example fit into that time frame, on the cusp of when the 2 eye was being phased out. I also have UK pressings of the same albums, which have an entirely different logo and different sound (again, due to the tape, stampers and the quality of the vinyl itself- it sounds a little richer).
The 'bomb' are the earlier 6 eyes for jazz. Some of those sound just amazing. And even some of the 'no eyes' (the little eyes are dotted in between the words on the circumference in the image on the left) can sound great, e.g. Janis Ian's 'Between the Lines,' which was released after the two eye logo was discontinued. More complete and accurate info is available from a number of sources on the web re dating of catalog numbers against particular logos for Columbia.
For what it's worth, your Dave Brubeck record was released in 1966 or 67, and therefore was issued under the 2 eye label at least in the States. (Too late for the 6 eye). Thus, without more info, it's hard to tell how early your two eye copy is, other than to state that it is an earlier issue than the 'no eye' on the left. Older Dave Brubeck stuff, pre -1962 or so, would have been on the 6 eye style label.
Final note: once you really dig in, there is also deadwax info indicating what pressing plant made the record. There's lot's of anecdotal stuff on the web about the sound of various releases from different plants. None of this may matter much if you just want to throw a record on and listen to it; it matters more if you are looking for the potentially best sounding pressing of a particular record. See my comments in the thread on 'Better Records' which relate to that as well.
G'nite.

miketuason
08-15-2013, 12:32 PM
Great information Whart, thank you so much. I guess it make sense that the older LPs most of the time better because the metal stamp or press is not as worn out as when it was used after a couple of hundred LPs or more.

Myles B. Astor
08-15-2013, 05:02 PM
Great information Whart, thank you so much. I guess it make sense that the older LPs most of the time better because the metal stamp or press is not as worn out as when it was used after a couple of hundred LPs or more.

The sound quality that Bill is talking about has nothing to do with wear and tear of the stamper. (although the first LP from a given stamper usually are more desirable.) Each of the pressings, six eye, two eye, etc. (along with multiple stampers) were not made from the same metal work. Separate masterings were done for each. Each run in those days was probably 1000-2000 copies at most.

For instance, you can find stampers over 100 for the Tchaik. 5th with van Cliburn on RCA. Each of those pressing were made from a different stamper. In fact, RCA, lists the details of every lacquer (along with cutting level, etc) cut from the master tape on the master's box.

1KW
08-15-2013, 09:52 PM
Interesting information, thanks for posting .

bachrocks
09-27-2013, 11:30 PM
The level of knowledge among AA members is just freakin' amazing!

Ivan, I wonder if you could arrange for us to get some college credit by reading and posting on AA?

In the US, I worked for 10 years in a university library and was surrounded by around 3,000,000 books everyday. I loved it. I felt I was basking in knowledge.

Now, reading and participating on AA, I feel the same privilege. Truly, this is a special forum.

Thanks,
ron