PDA

View Full Version : LP 275 early days

rlw3
05-09-2013, 02:22 PM
Spent more than i should have but think i will have a winner that will not need to be replaced. After being reneged on after sending a check for one lp 140 and never hearing from another seller after a formal bid; i decided to go for a 275. Found a unit with maybe a 100 hours on it from a real good agoner. the unit is totally quiet, no tranny hum or tube hiss as is my pr 12. Doesnt put out as much heat as i feared but we will see this summer. Some cd's, R. Cash ten song demo and my oldest chesnut Super Session sounded far different with subtle info being more easily heard. A couple jazz cd's sounded worst. The caps got a long way to go. Still not happy with the frequency extremes with the 6550s but trying to reserve judgement until caps are broken in. The 6550s put out 35w each kt 120s put out 60. Does this mean my amp would turn into 480w per side? If so a lp 140 would get to 240. Wow.
Didn't put on the tube dampeners. What do you hear/ listen for?

ronenash
05-09-2013, 03:14 PM
Ray,

Changing tubes will not change the amplifier power without making changes to the circuit design. You will need to raise the operating B+ voltage of the output tubes to get more power amongst other changes.
The KT120 will sound better with better bass definition and more dynamic headroom. If you have 6550C in the amp I will not replace them. The 6550C are good tubes and the differences are not huge. One can prefer one or the other. Tubes that should work well in the LP275 are:
Gold Lion KT88
=C= 6550C
Tung-Sol reissue 6550
KT120, which is what CJ use these days.

Congrats on a great amplifier purchase which I am sure you will enjoy for many years to come.

lotus340r
05-09-2013, 04:31 PM
nice one ray .. keep us posted with how they mature

Briz Vegaas
05-09-2013, 05:15 PM
Congrats on the purchase.

I am enjoying my little LP70 (kt120) on sort cones with Odin from wall and avalhalla to the unit ( treated room, it all matters if something in the chain isn't right) with pretty much all my music, and your amp is said to be so much better again than the LP70.

Remember that you are listening to a system, not just an amp. The more transparent the amp the more other issues that were once hidden will emerge. That being said, a good system should not punish bad recordings. Being a Robert Johnson fan I have been amazed how good his 1930 s recording sound through my system despite some very revealing components (Valhalla cables, Vivid Audio speakers). No complaints about Kinda Blue either ( don't have a lot of jazz).

rlw3
05-09-2013, 06:05 PM
Thanks guys. It is going to take some time to get to 500 hrs. Still a curiousity how gear changes will enhance or lower satisfaction in previously heard music-synergy roulette
Does anyone know the brand of 6550s and 6922s cj uses in their unmarked white boxes?

Joe Appierto
05-09-2013, 06:34 PM
Congratulations, Ray. Those are certainly world-class amps.

Thy would have come stock with SED =C= 6550C output tubes and Electro-Harmonix 6922EH small signal tubes.

aldinohiend
05-09-2013, 11:26 PM
Congratulations!

rlw3
05-10-2013, 10:34 AM
thanks again especially for the tube info Joe.
Now what about those dampeners? Used them before never heard a difference. Am i wrong? What do you listen for? When will the caps have a big change 200,300 or 500 hrs? It sounds good enough i feel like listening while it is breaking in which is usually not the case.

Joe Appierto
05-10-2013, 11:05 AM
The O-rings are supposed to help reduce microphonics. When I used them the biggest differences were in treble response and sound staging. It seemed that they sucked some of the "air" out of the presentation although on the plus side, individual images were a little denser. You might want to also listen for the attack/sustain/decay (transients/timbre/fade out) in the recordings you play. Do you use them on your ACT 2? The conventional wisdom would be to try it both ways and see if you prefer one over the other. I think most of the members here do use them.

If you're going to be burning the tubes while the capacitors form, then why not listen? It's typically reported that around 500 hours is a turning point for the better with a gradual improvement out to 1,000 hours, or more.

When my Premier 140 came back with the C1 Teflon capacitor upgrade I thought it immediately sounded better than before right out of the box although I didn't seem to hear the roller coaster ride most report. But I do tend to be constantly changing things (tubes) and making other changes in the rest of the system, so that may very well have masked the break-in.

Afterthought: My Quad 989's will most likely have a depressed top-end compared to your Wilson Sophia's so what I hear as a lack of air when using the O-rings may not be the case for you.

turntable
05-11-2013, 12:09 AM
Hi Ray

Congrats on the big dogs:thumbsup:

The Teflon caps will take 800 hours or so to settle down. Over time the highs will get a bit more extension and purity and bass will fill into the rest of the audio spectrum.

Re the tubes,

I have Kt120's, winged C 6550's and Tung Sol 6550's for my cj prem8a's. 16 each of the buggers.

My preference in sound quality is in reverse order to the above.
The TS 6550 reissues have superior upper frequencies in detail and texture and a nice tight bass.
The Winged C 6550's are great all rounders that do nothing wrong and a most things right.
The KT120 is like a big Cadillac V8. Nice spacious sound with good bass weight. Always seems to be cruising but for me in my system lacks the speed and transparency of the other two that gives music that up and go.

All in all, enjoy the music for now.

Cheers

Myles B. Astor
05-11-2013, 09:23 AM
Hi Ray

The Teflon caps will take 800 hours or so to settle down. Over time the highs will get a bit more extension and purity and bass will fill into the rest of the audio spectrum.

Re the tubes,

I have Kt120's, winged C 6550's and Tung Sol 6550's for my cj prem8a's. 16 each of the buggers.

The TS 6550 reissues have superior upper frequencies in detail and texture and a nice tight bass.
The Winged C 6550's are great all rounders that do nothing wrong and a most things right.
The KT120 is like a big Cadillac V8. Nice spacious sound with good bass weight. Always seems to be cruising but for me in my system lacks the speed and transparency of the other two that gives music that up and go.

Cheers

Except I've had more problems with the KT120s than the SEDs and it appears from talking to other manufacturers so have they.

Coppy
05-11-2013, 04:36 PM
Hi Ray

Re the tubes,

Cheers

There have been two or three generations of circuit improvements between the P8s and the LP275. Mr. Johnson definitely prefers the KT120s for what it's worth.

Enjoy the amps!

Bob

turntable
05-11-2013, 08:10 PM
There have been two or three generations of circuit improvements between the P8s and the LP275. Mr. Johnson definitely prefers the KT120s for what it's worth.

Enjoy the amps!

Bob

Yes Lew has mentioned that to me. That is why I said my preference as I have listened to all 3 tubes. Coppy, have you in your lp140's? YMMV

I have not heard the lp275 or ART at home, however the first generation circuit change from the prem8a was not an improvement to my ears when I heard it at home.

BTW, what came first - non availability of a steady supply of winged C 6550's or cj and ARC preference of the KT120? It was definitely the former.

Mr Johnson also preferred 6h30's to 6922's in preamps :D

Coppy
05-11-2013, 08:37 PM
Hey TT... yes agreed, absolutely the scarcity of the WC6550s came first. Which doesn't mean the KT120s are a lesser tube. Necessity is the mother of invention.

Anyway, I've heard the WC6550s in my amp... as they came in it new. Still have them tucked away. Liked the KT120s better in the LP140s, more dynamic and all else was good. I've not heard any of them in the P8s so... as they say, if you haven't heard them, you don't have an opinion. So, my experience only applies to the LP140s, for what it's worth.

My NOS Tele 6922s (ECC88s actually) in the GAT are just fine... sound great and no issues. Knock on wood. I'm beginning to understand that when it comes to tubes... if you've got something that works well, leave it alone. Your more likely to do more harm than good to your sound reproduction and your wallet by messing with different tubes.

Ain't this a great hobby... sometimes it's just feast of famine with what results from the effort to improve things. Well, okay, maybe a some Alexia's would be good.

Bob

ronenash
05-12-2013, 08:05 AM
I can live happily ever after with either the WC6550 or the KT120. The KT120 have the edge on dynamics and bass definition. Has anyone tried Gold Lion KT88 in a CJ amp? I want to try them next. They do wonders in my Beard amp.

Coppy
05-12-2013, 08:09 AM
I can live happily ever after with either the WC6550 or the KT120. The KT120 have the edge on dynamics and bass definition. Has anyone tried Gold Lion KT88 in a CJ amp? I want to try them next. They do wonders in my Beard amp.

+1

Joe Appierto
05-12-2013, 09:43 AM

The New Sensor Gold Lion KT88 are my favorite current production KT88. Tried them in both in the 11A and the 140 after the cap upgrade and they're outstanding. The EAT KT88's are just too expensive for me and I couldn't get the Psvane KT88's to bias properly when used in the 11A but have rolled just about all of the rest and the Gold Lion's seem to do the best in the most categories.

lotus340r
05-12-2013, 01:43 PM
Spent more than i should have but think i will have a winner that will not need to be replaced. After being reneged on after sending a check for one lp 140 and never hearing from another seller after a formal bid; i decided to go for a 275. Found a unit with maybe a 100 hours on it from a real good agoner. the unit is totally quiet, no tranny hum or tube hiss as is my pr 12. Doesnt put out as much heat as i feared but we will see this summer. Some cd's, R. Cash ten song demo and my oldest chesnut Super Session sounded far different with subtle info being more easily heard. A couple jazz cd's sounded worst. The caps got a long way to go. Still not happy with the frequency extremes with the 6550s but trying to reserve judgement until caps are broken in. The 6550s put out 35w each kt 120s put out 60. Does this mean my amp would turn into 480w per side? If so a lp 140 would get to 240. Wow.
Didn't put on the tube dampeners. What do you hear/ listen for?

More listening this weekend. My, you have a real treat in store. :thumbsup:

They are wonderful wonderful amps. I feel my system has taken quite a big leap. More listenable than ever before with not one glimmer of harshness or brightness. lord only knows what the ARTS must sound like.

rlw3
05-12-2013, 05:35 PM
Thanks guys and happy holidays to your families. My Sed cj stock 6550s have a great mid range but some of same high bass lower mid thickness and slowness that some sovtek 6550s did in the pr 12. The chryo 120s seemed to get rid of access decay giving more speed along with more deep bass and high highs which gave more soundstage info.roger majeski of music reference reminded me long ago that same tube are very different in different gear. Looking forward to using 120s after some hrs are on amp. There is a big difference between chryo and non chryo 120s
Ps never heard a difference using o rings on the act or previous audible illusions, cj and music reference gear.

turntable
05-12-2013, 06:00 PM
Thanks guys and happy holidays to your families. My eh cj stock 6550s have a great mid range but some of same high bass lower mid thickness and slowness that some sovtek 6550s did in the pr 12. The chryo 120s seemed to get rid of access decay giving more speed along with more deep bass and high highs which gave more soundstage info.roger majeski of music reference reminded me long ago that same tube are very different in different gear. Looking forward to using 120s after some hrs are on amp. There is a big difference between chryo and non chryo 120s

Hmmm, I wonder if you can get your tubes cryo'd after you have bought them?

I am guessing putting them into the freezer ain't going to work:D

rlw3
05-12-2013, 10:53 PM
Ken Chait the tubeman was kind enough to chryo some non cryoed 120s. I recommend him whole heartily.