PDA

View Full Version : Clearaudio or project upgrade

stonecobbler
04-09-2013, 02:25 AM
Been looking at the clearaudio performance and the project evolution, do I go for the mass unit of the project, to the magnet suspension of the clearaudio, same price but I really like the beefy look of the project

Or would you suggest another contender in the 3k price range

jdandy
04-09-2013, 08:53 AM
stonecobbler.......I like the magnetic suspension on the Clearaudio Performance.

http://www.generubinaudio.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/789665856.jpg

stonecobbler
04-10-2013, 12:41 AM
That is one nice looking turntable, at my favourite store it comes with the clearaudio virtuoso cartridge for 3300 , I'm not paying that!!! I'm sure I can get a deal.

Cheers

Wayne

Alki
04-10-2013, 04:16 AM
Been looking at the clearaudio performance and the project evolution, do I go for the mass unit of the project, to the magnet suspension of the clearaudio, same price but I really like the beefy look of the project

Or would you suggest another contender in the 3k price range

I was in my dealers showroom the other day and snapped these pics.

To me this is one stunning piece of equipment. Guess you know what I would do.

stonecobbler
04-10-2013, 08:50 PM
Oh I know , I'm torn, both are great tt's , tough decision because this will be my last for a very long long time, they have exactly both of those tables at my dealer, I will get them both hooked up for an audition with my own music,and the future speakers ,the magnepan 3.7's and see which one has the edge

Alki
04-10-2013, 10:06 PM
Oh I know , I'm torn, both are great tt's , tough decision because this will be my last for a very long long time, they have exactly both of those tables at my dealer, I will get them both hooked up for an audition with my own music,and the future speakers ,the magnepan 3.7's and see which one has the edge

Please share your thoughts after your audition and let me know what you decide to purchase.

stonecobbler
04-20-2013, 11:25 PM
Why does this have to be so hard,, I'm not an expert on reviewing equipment ,
Clearaudio had the edge over the project in the midrange especially in female vocals there was more,,,well "air" oh daddy by fleet wood Mac 45 rpm was excellent in mid to highs but lacked the bass heaviness, now at this point am I comparing TNT or am I comparing cartridge, the clearaudio had the virtuoso wood and the project had the dynavector 20, the project seem to turn the vinyl
Into one with the turntable and has such bass speed that I have never experienced before but seemed to lack in the soundstage presentation, like I could locate speaker placement, so onto something comletely different I tried John sharp ,a great jazz piece with acoustic , electric , reeds, bongos ,percussion, everything,,,, this time the project had the advantage from top to bottom and seemed endless in roll off , clearaudio ended too soon and seemed to be struggling to resolve low end impact but still had the ability to separate the instruments and place them in a better space. Beside the magnepan 3.7s there were a used pair of thiel 3.somethings that we tried to make a bass comparison,
That lasted about 5 minutes of listening , although great speakers they just sounded muddy in comparison to the Maggie's and in my opinion too bass heavy, "weird" back to the TT comparisons I brought a very old cat Stevens lp I inherited from my dad and went to the "peace train" track, I don't think this lp has been cleaned in 20 years, shame ,, wow project , you have done it with the least amount of pops and ticks and sinking that cartridge right into the depths of the wax and bringing out the acoustics like I've never heard before, can't wait to get a record cleaner and start listening to these old gems I have. The winner is ,,,,the project, now to torture my audio store with cartridge decision, whatever ,, they are happy to switch them out considering I am about to drop 8k more in their store, any cartridge suggestions with the project evolution would be appreciated as they do carry, dynavector,Grado, sumiko,clearaudio , kuetso, I'm sure my spelling is wrong on that one. I went home and listened to the same lp's on my carbon with my dynavector 10x5 with my 1.6's , just crap in comparison, lol , oh audiophile world you have me by the balls ....