PDA

View Full Version : 20.7 audition underwelming

djcxxx
03-25-2013, 08:29 AM
Saturday I drove to the local dealer who had a set of 20.7s set up for me. I had fully intended to make the purchase w/ a 10K deposit in the bank. They were using Classe amplifier and Ayre pre-amp w/ a server for their music and I brought some CDs and LPs but they don't demo LPs regularly and I forgot to ask. In any case after 2h listening I found myself rather perplexed. Overall the 20.7 delivered more than my 3.7s in every area (soundstage, bass, coherence, detail, air) but not so much more that I could honestly justify the purchase. I left rather deflated, but perhaps my expectations were unrealistic. I listened to music that I have known for more than 40 years on every system I've owned (Solti's Beethoven 3rd, Ansermet's Falla Tres Picos, and Lyontine Price's Blue Album of Puccini and Verdi arias, I have CDs and LPs). The strengths and flaws of these albums are second nature to me, so it was not a lack of familarity w/ the material. Their equipment was not "blank check" but neither is mine. So there you have it. Guess I'll keep listening to the 3.7s.

Rayooo
03-25-2013, 09:12 AM
I think you hit the nail on the head :yes: while the 20.7s deliver more in every area, whether more is "enough more", will vary with each individual. :scratch2: I could have been happy with my 3.7s for years to come, in my case though, I felt the substantial cost difference to be worth it. others may not. :thumbsup:

jdandy
03-25-2013, 09:54 AM
Saturday I drove to the local dealer who had a set of 20.7s set up for me. I had fully intended to make the purchase w/ a 10K deposit in the bank. They were using Classe amplifier and Ayre pre-amp w/ a server for their music and I brought some CDs and LPs but they don't demo LPs regularly and I forgot to ask. In any case after 2h listening I found myself rather perplexed. Overall the 20.7 delivered more than my 3.7s in every area (soundstage, bass, coherence, detail, air) but not so much more that I could honestly justify the purchase. I left rather deflated, but perhaps my expectations were unrealistic. I listened to music that I have known for more than 40 years on every system I've owned (Solti's Beethoven 3rd, Ansermet's Falla Tres Picos, and Lyontine Price's Blue Album of Puccini and Verdi arias, I have CDs and LPs). The strengths and flaws of these albums are second nature to me, so it was not a lack of familarity w/ the material. Their equipment was not "blank check" but neither is mine. So there you have it. Guess I'll keep listening to the 3.7s.

djcxxx.......There is really nothing that unusual about your experience auditioning the Magnapan 20.7's. As you stated, you did experience improved performance, but felt disappointed by not being totally overwhelmed with respect to the cost difference over your own 3.7's. The diminishing return factor begins to come into play with all manufactures as you move up their line. Costs seem to be far greater for incrementally smaller improvements, especially when you already enjoy excellent performance at your respective price point. For some, the price difference doesn't influence their purchase decision, since it is strictly the improved performance that is sought. For others, the performance improvements are desired, but the cost factor must be weighed into the purchase. If a component or speaker's improved performance isn't dramatic enough, or doesn't measure up to our sense of value when compared to what we presently own, then we pass. It happens all the time.

Rayooo
03-25-2013, 10:06 AM
djcxxx.......There is really nothing that unusual about your experience auditioning the Magnapan 20.7's. As you stated, you did experience improved performance, but felt disappointed by not being totally overwhelmed with respect to the cost difference over your own 3.7's. The diminishing return factor begins to come into play with all manufactures as you move up their line. Costs seem to be far greater for incrementally smaller improvements, especially when you already enjoy excellent performance at your respective price point. For some, the price difference doesn't influence their purchase decision, since it is strictly the improved performance that is sought. For others, the performance improvements are desired, but the cost factor must be weighed into the purchase. If a component or speaker's improved performance isn't dramatic enough, or doesn't measure up to our sense of value when compare to what we presently own, then we pass. It happens all the time.

Well said! ...a bad analogy, but I sometimes feel "high-end" audio from a cost perspective is rather like Top-Fuel drag racing, or Nascar, or Formula one. at a certain level, the cost to gain ..one more horsepower, can be astronomical, but some people are happy to spend the dough for that one more horsepower, granted, it's crazy by any rational thought process, but I've been called far worse than crazy. :D

djcxxx
03-25-2013, 12:21 PM
Appreciate the thoughtfullness of all your responses. I am prone to getting caught up in the audio reviews so that may have raised expectations to unreasonable levels. Money is an issue and I have to balance out gains vs. cost which frankly was the deciding factor, not so much the speakers themselves. I had some trepidation about posting my experience but now I am glad that I did.

audiot servant
03-25-2013, 05:12 PM
djcxxx - think that's the issue with the 3.7s, they deliver so much. I always loved them, they almost suited me perfectly... the only "if only" thing about them was them not being quite full range enough.

So the extra 10hz costs 10k... that hurts a bit... but it did get rid of the only sticking point so I have speakers without the "if onlys". I'd probably have been happy with just that but as they also improved a bit in other areas I saw it as an expense but well more than worth it.

It's great you post your experience with the 20.7s because we all make different calls on gear and you did the best thing... you auditioned first rather than just assuming what makes others happy will be right for you. It's always better (and less expensive) if you can love the one your with rather than being constantly on the look out for something new. Lasting happiness is often the best outcome.

Graham

Kingsrule
03-25-2013, 06:26 PM
I think the biggest area of improvement from the 3.7 to the 20.7 will be image size.
If you have the room , the 20.7's will throw a sound field that is much more realistic, especially for orchestra.....

Myles B. Astor
03-25-2013, 08:16 PM

I'd be cautious about drawing any conclusions about the sound without having heard your own discs!!!! :)

Harbapapa
03-26-2013, 03:58 PM
I thought that price difference between 3.7 and 20.7 goes "too wild", but consider this:

1.7 is about 40% of price of 3.7 and 3.7 is about 40% of price of 20.7, so I guess there is some logic in this?

harri009
03-26-2013, 04:36 PM
I thought that price difference between 3.7 and 20.7 goes "too wild", but consider this:

1.7 is about 40% of price of 3.7 and 3.7 is about 40% of price of 20.7, so I guess there is some logic in this?

Agreed. What is the extra cost associated with. It can't be that many more man hours to build than a 3.7. Material wise I understand it has extra magnet layout but probably not 40% worth. BUT I guess you can claim this to just about every high end product out there.

jdandy
03-26-2013, 06:45 PM
Agreed. What is the extra cost associated with. It can't be that many more man hours to build than a 3.7. Material wise I understand it has extra magnet layout but probably not 40% worth. BUT I guess you can claim this to just about every high end product out there.

Jeff.......The BOM (bill of materials) for a product is only a fraction of the cost. Even adding 40% increased cost to the BOM would not justify a 40% retail increase. Far more that goes into the production of components and speakers than the average end user is aware of. On top of that, Magnapan must make a profit that supports the company and owners with a margin that allows continued research and development. Magnapan delivers an amazing performance to price ratio, in my opinion. Ultimately, a product is only worth what it can be sold for in high enough quantities to support the business of making the product.

harri009
03-26-2013, 06:55 PM
Jeff.......The BOM (bill of materials) for a product is only a fraction of the cost. Even adding 40% increased cost to the BOM would not justify a 40% retail increase. Far more that goes into the production of components and speakers than the average end user is aware of. On top of that, Magnapan must make a profit that supports the company and owners with a margin that allows continued research and development. Magnapan delivers an amazing performance to price ratio, in my opinion. Ultimately, a product is only worth what it can be sold for in high enough quantities to support the business of making the product.

I realize and agree that they are a far better deal than most speakers in the industry. IMHO

josh358
03-26-2013, 09:22 PM
I understand that it costs them more to manufacture the dual magnet drivers on the 20.7 than the single magnet drivers on the 3.7. Also, I assume that because they sell fewer of the more expensive model, R&D costs have to be amortized over fewer sales.

stonecobbler
04-04-2013, 12:30 PM
I have owned my 1.6's for a year now, happy to be back with the Maggie's as I did own a pair of mmg's in the mid 90's. I paid 1200 for my 1.6's at my favourite high end store but now finding that I want more and I keep looking at the 3.7's they have in one of there rooms and chicken out on the audition because I know that once I hear them I will be making the trade up, but that's 4 grand that I could be using on a TT and cartridge upgrade.

Wayne

timm
04-05-2013, 09:15 AM
stonecobbler.... if it were I and my choices were a turntable upgrade or moving to the 3.7 from a 1.6....uh.... you better not go listen come to think of it!! if you have a significant other - you might have some 'splainin to do!! :) but to me your biggest bang is going to be your speaker... why not put it there if you were so inclined...

stonecobbler
04-06-2013, 02:12 AM
I do have the "waf" wife acceptance factor per say but she understands my passion, as long as I keep her closet full of shoes I can get away with pretty much anything,lol, as long as she doesn't see those large panels as something to display her shoes on. My project carbon and dynavector 10x5 is the weakest link and tough to justify the output of cash to the big Maggie's without upgrading that first , it is inevitable ,,I'm going to buy the 3.7's.

Cheers
Wayne

timm
04-06-2013, 02:26 PM
No fair stonecobbler my wife likes shoes AND trips! i have a brother in law named stan who came home one day with a new california special mustang He asks my sister how you like my new car? So whenever i start thinking evil thoughts i say WWSD? That stands for 'what would stan do?' :) you can use that too! Hahaha

stonecobbler
04-06-2013, 10:09 PM
That's funny Timm
I would never just show up with the speakers and say he look what I bought,,cause she would say, guess what your taking back,lol , I still need to
Discuss over wine and beer ,get ur drunk, the I can say last night "you said"
But sometimes it is better to ask for forgiveness than permission,,haha shhhh
She might be trolling.
Cheers

Wayne

A.Wayne
04-10-2013, 05:54 PM

Felt the same way every time i have heard any of the 20.XX, very underwhelming, I have always felt it better to spend the money on subwoofers and xovers for the 3.6/3.7 than go up to a 20....

Regards

A.Wayne
04-10-2013, 06:01 PM
I have owned my 1.6's for a year now, happy to be back with the Maggie's as I did own a pair of mmg's in the mid 90's. I paid 1200 for my 1.6's at my favourite high end store but now finding that I want more and I keep looking at the 3.7's they have in one of there rooms and chicken out on the audition because I know that once I hear them I will be making the trade up, but that's 4 grand that I could be using on a TT and cartridge upgrade.

Wayne

Get the better speaker and when auditioning also carrying along recordings that dont sound good to you or have issues on your current system. I find this way the best to tell if a system is better , instead of being different when auditioning....

Save the good stuff that moves you for last...:smoking:

timm
04-12-2013, 02:23 PM
Felt the same way every time i have heard any of the 20.XX, very underwhelming, I have always felt it better to spend the money on subwoofers and xovers for the 3.6/3.7 than go up to a 20....

Regards

hmmm -- I did not have that impression when comparing the 20.1 to the 3.6... however, I did not own either model or a lower model maggie at the time. The OP says that it basically did everything better....I'm not sure what else you could ask for.... I agree with that statement though. I thought the 20.x did do everything better. For me, it had that - 'well, I guess I have to jump off the cliff' difference between it and the 3.x.... I thought the 3.x sounded great - but when I heard the 20.x - it became a knee wobbler..... Now if you are trying to quantify that difference and justify the extra 8K well, I guess it just depends on the value you put on the sound. I look at it this way...If there is something I like better and I know I like it better --- best thing to do is buy it now - because I will end up buying it sooner or later anyway - and end up paying for both sets of speakers in the end.

Go listen to a pair of Alexandria Xlf's at 195K - it will make the 20.x seem like an aggregious steal....in my humble opinion of course..... :)

audiot servant
04-13-2013, 04:13 AM
Timm - agree 100%. The 3.7s are great but the 20.7 is in every way greater.

To go panel with box subs on 3.7s is good for extension and balance but ultimately makes a trade off in terms of coherence and seamlessness which is a critical .7 series Maggie strength from my perspective and the whole reason I have panels in the first place.

The temporal performance of the current Maggies is what I reckon makes them a great reference speaker. They are timing and texture marvels.

The guys I know who have gone from 3.7s to 20.7s are more than happy on the move... and the better the gear you run on them the bigger the gap gets in the performance between the two.

I just couldn't go back... I'd have to go to a box instead, the 3.7s would only ever remind me how much I missed the 20.7s.

Graham

Sent from my iPhone using A.Aficionado

Robert_Anderson
04-13-2013, 06:08 AM
Has anyone heard the 3.7's with the new Maggie subs? I am eager to hear them. I am in the unenviable position of having to upgrade from 20.1's to 20.7's when no dealer really wants to take a trade in. Currently I am using a pair of Martin Logan Descents for subs. I would very much like to hear what the 3.7's can do compared to the 20.1's with the subs.

audiot servant
04-13-2013, 06:35 AM
Robert - I did originally think about going with 3.7s augmenting with the dwm subs but that means in my case going for two sets of z Anaconda speaker cables with the loom I was moving towards so unfortunately the numbers stopped looking at all in favour of that as a plan.

I've only heard good things about the match up with the dwms and Bill who is the Maggie importer here has just got a few dwms in and I will see if I can have a listen if he gets them set up some time. He has a room currently chock a block full of Maggies and Devores so am sure he will get them out as soon as he can make some space.

Graham

Bodhisattva
04-13-2013, 06:47 AM
You could check out the new King Sound KS-10's. They are the latest panels from King Sound & are truly full range speakers, however you need a big bruiser amp like a Boulder to drive them as they're only 81db :yikes:

King Sound - Speakers - KS-10 (http://www.kingsaudio.com.hk/ks10.html)

http://dagogo.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/King-Sound-13.jpg

Robert_Anderson
04-13-2013, 06:49 AM
Robert - I did originally think about going with 3.7s augmenting with the dwm subs but that means in my case going for two sets of z Anaconda speaker cables with the loom I was moving towards so unfortunately the numbers stopped looking at all in favour of that as a plan.

I've only heard good things about the match up with the dwms and Bill who is the Maggie importer here has just got a few dwms in and I will see if I can have a listen if he gets them set up some time. He has a room currently chock a block full of Maggies and Devores so am sure he will get them out as soon as he can make some space.

Graham

I look forward to hearing your results. I am renovating my home, which will take at least a year, and in the meantime renting a place that really is too small for the 20.1s', hence my interest in the 3.7's.

Robert_Anderson
04-13-2013, 06:49 AM
You could check out the new King Sound KS-10's. They are the latest panels from King Sound & are truly full range speakers, however you need a big bruiser amp like a Boulder to drive them as they're only 81db :yikes:

Would Krell 350 monos do the trick?

timm
04-13-2013, 08:33 AM
Has anyone heard the 3.7's with the new Maggie subs? I am eager to hear them. I am in the unenviable position of having to upgrade from 20.1's to 20.7's when no dealer really wants to take a trade in. Currently I am using a pair of Martin Logan Descents for subs. I would very much like to hear what the 3.7's can do compared to the 20.1's with the subs.

Robert. How do the descents blend w the 20.1? How are u hooking them up via the stereo inputs w the 40hz filter or are you using the lfe input with an external xover?

Bodhisattva
04-13-2013, 08:26 PM
Would Krell 350 monos do the trick?I assume your question was tongue in cheek, as yes of course the 350 mono's would have no problem driving the KS-10's. Those Krell mono's are well designed and have robust protection circuitry, not that I think it would be needed. The KS-10's have low sensitivity @81db, but are only a 6ohm nomimal load so that should be a happy marriage. Interestingly, the dual mono Boulder 1060 has the same number of Bipolar output devices as both 350 mono's & only slightly less transformer power (twin 1.5kva potted transformers vs 1.7kva trannies in the 350's). In other words; a very potent amp!

Robert_Anderson
04-14-2013, 12:54 AM
Robert. How do the descents blend w the 20.1? How are u hooking them up via the stereo inputs w the 40hz filter or are you using the lfe input with an external xover?

Right now, I am using the stereo inputs and have been satisfied. I am moving them into a smaller room (I am worried too small), so I will have to start all over again. If they do not fit in the new room, I will use my Avalons and have to decide if I will upgrade to 20.7's and wait, or go with 3.7's now.

A.Wayne
04-15-2013, 10:16 PM
hmmm -- I did not have that impression when comparing the 20.1 to the 3.6... however, I did not own either model or a lower model maggie at the time. The OP says that it basically did everything better....I'm not sure what else you could ask for.... I agree with that statement though. I thought the 20.x did do everything better. For me, it had that - 'well, I guess I have to jump off the cliff' difference between it and the 3.x.... I thought the 3.x sounded great - but when I heard the 20.x - it became a knee wobbler..... Now if you are trying to quantify that difference and justify the extra 8K well, I guess it just depends on the value you put on the sound. I look at it this way...If there is something I like better and I know I like it better --- best thing to do is buy it now - because I will end up buying it sooner or later anyway - and end up paying for both sets of speakers in the end.

Go listen to a pair of Alexandria Xlf's at 195K - it will make the 20.x seem like an aggregious steal....in my humble opinion of course..... :)

I have to say i have never heard the 20.1 sound impressive and I'm respectful of what others may or may not like , but Imo its not worth the xtra coin over a pr of 3.7 's with subs, that combination is really a slam dunk over a pr of 20.1's and yes they are a bargain compared to the Wilsons , but not in the same league either ...

Regards ....

A.Wayne
04-15-2013, 10:24 PM

Those are fantastic sounding speakers........:thumbsup:

ztube
04-26-2013, 11:15 AM
I own the 20.7. I also have owned Wilson speakers over the past 15 years. To be brief the 20.7 are worth the price increase over the 3.7s, if you have the room. The league to which the Magnepans belong to is a subjective opinion. My opinion is that the Magnepans are in the majors. I many ways I find them to be the most true to life speaker I have owned. I am new to this site and will not get into the specifics of their performance.
I enjoy them to no end and I also enjoy my Wilson system as well as my Harbeth system. Neither speaker is perfect but all 3 connect me to the music!

4N6
04-26-2013, 03:58 PM
I own the 20.7. I also have owned Wilson speakers over the past 15 years. To be brief the 20.7 are worth the price increase over the 3.7s, if you have the room. The league to which the Magnepans belong to is a subjective opinion. My opinion is that the Magnepans are in the majors. I many ways I find them to be the most true to life speaker I have owned. I am new to this site and will not get into the specifics of their performance.
I enjoy them to no end and I also enjoy my Wilson system as well as my Harbeth system. Neither speaker is perfect but all 3 connect me to the music!

ztube

Welcome to AA!!! :welcome2.:

mgard
04-26-2013, 10:13 PM
Ztube,

It is great to have you with us. I have been a Maggie owner for only about two years. It was a very cost effective way for me to get high end sound. I'll be waiting to read more of your experiences. :yes:

~Mike

chessman
04-27-2013, 12:32 AM
ztube, welcome aboard! :wave:

ztube
04-28-2013, 05:01 PM
Thanks for the welcome.
The 20.7s are fabulous. I had fully redone Apogee Divas, but never fully warmed up to the midrange. The Magnepan midrange was just a bit warmer and gave me the flexibility to use a solid state amplifier. After 30 years of tubes I needed a break no pun intended. The speakers I set out to buy were the Sashas, Rockports, or Vivids. I currently own the Sophia 2s and I have had many Wilson based systems. One listen to the Magnepan 3.7 and it was all over for me.
Price to performance made Magnepans 20.7s my next speakers case closed.They are total magic and fit my listening taste perfectly. My 110 db Rolling Stone blasting sessions came to an end about 5 years ago. What the 20.7s offer is a large sound stage at a very reasonable price. Everything else the 20.7s do is close to perfect IMO.
The funny part was I never liked Magnepans in the past. The new quasi ribbons removed that dark sound that I never was a fan of. The new Magnepans are now seamless to my ears for the first time. My reference for panels was multiple electrostatic systems (over 10 sets of ESLs). I gave up on ESLs due to the failure rate and the arching issues that wore me out.
If I had to rate the Maggies I would place them at near the top of the heap. The price vs performance makes them a best buy. My Avantgarde Trios ran 8 years. I think the Magnepans will beat that record. Only time will tell.
The 20.7s are better than the 3.7s if you have the room IMHO. I could have gotten either one and have been happy.
Box speakers have priced themselves out of reality for me as a main system. It took 28K in that field to satisfy what I was looking for.
I am satisfied for now running them with a Modright KWA150.I know that everyone says to use arc welders but I am more than happy already. I am sure there is more to be had but I enjoy my music as it is.
The ribbon top end his a hard act to beat.
The Sophias are now the fronts for my home theater.

4N6
04-28-2013, 08:58 PM
Sounds like an awesome system! I love my 3.7's but am going to audition the 20.7's and the Sonus faber Elipsa SE's this summer for a possible upgrade. Should be a fun summer!

A.Wayne
04-28-2013, 10:17 PM
If I had to rate the Maggies I would place them at near the top of the heap. .

Hello ztube,

What heap would that be ..............? :D

Masterlu
04-28-2013, 10:48 PM
ztube... Welcome! :wave:

audiot servant
04-29-2013, 06:34 AM
Welcome ztube,

You have great taste in speakers... Wilson, Rockport, Magnepan, Avantgarde and Vivid... Could live with any and all of the above. Look forward to your posts.

Graham

ztube
04-29-2013, 11:07 AM
Welcome ztube,

You have great taste in speakers... Wilson, Rockport, Magnepan, Avantgarde and Vivid... Could live with any and all of the above. Look forward to your posts.

Graham
So could I if they were priced like the Magnepans. Sold the Trios because I was just looking for a more coherent speaker. The bass was not seamless on the Trios. Time answers all questions in audio and change is fun. 8 years with the Avantgards' is dam good. The newer speakers have improved over the last 8 years.

Rayooo
04-29-2013, 11:50 AM

Welcome!! and it should come as no surprise that I completely agree with your assessment of 20.7s! :yes:

cma29
05-23-2013, 09:41 PM
Thanks for the welcome.
The 20.7s are fabulous. I had fully redone Apogee Divas, but never fully warmed up to the midrange. The Magnepan midrange was just a bit warmer and gave me the flexibility to use a solid state amplifier. After 30 years of tubes I needed a break no pun intended. The speakers I set out to buy were the Sashas, Rockports, or Vivids. I currently own the Sophia 2s and I have had many Wilson based systems. One listen to the Magnepan 3.7 and it was all over for me.
Price to performance made Magnepans 20.7s my next speakers case closed.They are total magic and fit my listening taste perfectly. My 110 db Rolling Stone blasting sessions came to an end about 5 years ago. What the 20.7s offer is a large sound stage at a very reasonable price. Everything else the 20.7s do is close to perfect IMO.
The funny part was I never liked Magnepans in the past. The new quasi ribbons removed that dark sound that I never was a fan of. The new Magnepans are now seamless to my ears for the first time. My reference for panels was multiple electrostatic systems (over 10 sets of ESLs). I gave up on ESLs due to the failure rate and the arching issues that wore me out.
If I had to rate the Maggies I would place them at near the top of the heap. The price vs performance makes them a best buy. My Avantgarde Trios ran 8 years. I think the Magnepans will beat that record. Only time will tell.
The 20.7s are better than the 3.7s if you have the room IMHO. I could have gotten either one and have been happy.
Box speakers have priced themselves out of reality for me as a main system. It took 28K in that field to satisfy what I was looking for.
I am satisfied for now running them with a Modright KWA150.I know that everyone says to use arc welders but I am more than happy already. I am sure there is more to be had but I enjoy my music as it is.
The ribbon top end his a hard act to beat.
The Sophias are now the fronts for my home theater.

I wholeheartedly agree with your assessment. I also own the 20.7s driving them with Pass Labs amplification and I'm in love with the full, rich sound they produce.

(I did have some issues with initial set up for the 20.7s that I'm planning to share in a new thread.)

anonymous
03-08-2015, 12:55 PM
Make certain the Magnepans are well broken in before auditioning. Few years ago I found the 3.6 ribbon tweeter to sound discontinuous vs. the other drivers, but later found the 3.6 had just not broken in yet.

PlanarSpeakerFan
03-08-2015, 03:00 PM

Hello Djcxxx,

I owned Magnepan 3.7's for over a year and also did a six hour audition of the 20.7's that were properly set up with well matched equipment in an adequately sized room. To summarize, the 20.7's sound hugely better in every way and in my honest opinion are well worth the extra price of admission. It might be worth a road trip to hear a properly set up pair of 20.7's. I think it will change your opinion of these speakers.

Best,
Ken

PlanarSpeakerFan
03-08-2015, 03:13 PM
I wholeheartedly agree with your assessment. I also own the 20.7s driving them with Pass Labs amplification and I'm in love with the full, rich sound they produce.

(I did have some issues with initial set up for the 20.7s that I'm planning to share in a new thread.)

Hi Carlos,

The Magnepan 20.7's are by far my favorite planar speakers that I have auditioned. This includes Analysis Audio Omega and Quad ESL 2912. The 20.7 do everything extremely well and there are no weaknesses. They are one of the great value propositions in high-end audio. The 20.7's are also in my top four favorites of overall speakers along with the Raidho D3, Vandersteen 7 and Revel Salon 2. As you know, I currently own the D3 and the Salon 2. I might have gone for the 20.7 over the Salon 2 if it weren't for things like WAF. :D

Best,
Ken

ehoove
03-08-2015, 06:33 PM
I have auditioned 20.7's twice, and the difference was staggering! Room size is very important for these speakers to show their true potential IMHO, and sadly my room is not big enough for them. :^(
Regards,
Jim

harri009
03-08-2015, 06:44 PM
I have auditioned 20.7's twice, and the difference was staggering! Room size is very important for these speakers to show their true potential IMHO, and sadly my room is not big enough for them. :^( Regards, Jim

What size room do you think is needed? What size do you have?

timm
03-08-2015, 10:49 PM
Hi Carlos,

The Magnepan 20.7's are by far my favorite planar speakers that I have auditioned. This includes Analysis Audio Omega and Quad ESL 2912. The 20.7 do everything extremely well and there are no weaknesses. They are one of the great value propositions in high-end audio. The 20.7's are also in my top four favorites of overall speakers along with the Raidho D3, Vandersteen 7 and Revel Salon 2. As you know, I currently own the D3 and the Salon 2. I might have gone for the 20.7 over the Salon 2 if it weren't for things like WAF. :D

Best,
Ken

Interesting about the Omega Ken. I have had people tell me they were 'it'. But I heard the 20.7 and thought 'ain't no way'. The 20s are just special. I have not heard the analysis audio. Might you give your comparison between it and the 20.7?

PlanarSpeakerFan
03-08-2015, 11:15 PM
Interesting about the Omega Ken. I have had people tell me they were 'it'. But I heard the 20.7 and thought 'ain't no way'. The 20s are just special. I have not heard the analysis audio. Might you give your comparison between it and the 20.7?

Hi Tim,

I feel the bass on the 20.7 is superior to the bass on the Omega. The Omega to me sounded very light in the bass department, while the 20.7 produced full, fast and robust bass. In the midrange, I'd also give the edge to the 20.7, there was just more presence than the Omega. In the treble, I would give the edge to the Omega as it was a bit smoother in the higher frequencies. As far as soundstage goes, the 20.7 throws a huge soundstage, much larger than the Omega. The Omega are very nice speakers. I auditioned the ones with the external crossover. But the 20.7 with its all ribbon design just seems to do almost everything better in my opinion and for a lot less money. Kudos to Magnepan.

Ken

Hifisand
03-12-2015, 11:21 PM
Robert,
I had 3.7's and the Maggie woofers. They work great and smooth out the bass. They should be sold with the 3.7's.
I am able to switch to 20.7's now, but will try woofers with those also.

klao
03-13-2015, 11:05 AM
Just a side note on anyone considering the 20.7's.

I got MyeSound 20.7 stands for a long while, but just installed them last weekend. The betterment from the stands is more prominent than when I first put them on my 3.6 in much smaller room. The sheer size of the bigger panels and my bigger room just amplify it, I guess.

I'm appreciating more clarity/focus on instruments' positions and their subtle tone colors in large orchestral pieces (like Mahler Symphony #2 I'm listening to now) and solo piece like the Bach Cello Suites. : )

Hifisand
03-13-2015, 04:02 PM
I had a Mye stand on my 3.7's and have ordered one for new 20.7's. A must do. I also use Stillpoint Ultra 5's with the stands. They add more improvement on my wood floor than the stands.

My 20.7's with Mye stands and Stillpoint Ultra 5s have now reached 600 hours (thanks to tuner and SS amp). They have opened up through all octaves (Did not listen for last five days due to other activities. A jump in improvement over that last 100 hours). Will be selling my DWM woofers I used with the 3.7's. If you go to listen at a dealer, they need to have 600 hours to really hear what they sound like. Way better than 3.7's and I could not say that at day one.

audiot servant
03-13-2015, 06:21 PM
+1 on the U5s. Crazy money but utterly brilliant and transformative. If the reviewer that thought the stock 20.7s are as good as it gets for a speaker up to $80k would possibly be surprised at how much better still that they can sound on stands fitted with ultra 5s.