PDA

View Full Version : Conrad Johnson TEA1 phono stage

turntable
03-20-2013, 04:55 PM
Hi guys

Wondering if any owners or folks who have had a good listen to the TEA1 can give their comments on how it sounds. Since there are several variations, perhaps the type as well.

I have an opportunity to buy a used top of line TEA1 at a good price. That is the full Teflon caps with the 63db gain SUT input and the 45db 2nd input.
Unsure whether to pull trigger or not.

I have used the ev-1 before and that was quite open sounding. Not really looking for an euphoric sounding phono. I want a detailed transparent phono with the tube goodness but not too much with a tight tube bass.

Cheers

Puma Cat
03-20-2013, 04:58 PM
I haven't heard the the TEA-1, but I personally think the gain options are too low for my needs.

I would be looking at an EAR 324 or the new Zesto Audio Andros...

turntable
03-20-2013, 05:05 PM
Hi Steve

The 63db gain is plenty for my Atlas and fine for my dyna xv-1s. The 45 db gain on 2nd input perfect for my mom's.

Btw, Zesto phono has almost same gain specs. 65db and 45 db.

I would hope the TEA1 is better sounding than both the 324 or Zesto, as new it was close to double the price - knowing cj quality , it would not be worse.

Cheers

rlw3
03-20-2013, 06:15 PM
63 db gain is what my art audio vinyl ref puts out. the great thing about 63 db is that it is very close to what my cd puts out at the same pre amp volume setting. this results in very little dangerous changes in volume when changing inputs. If you go for it, will you report back any comparisons performance wise?

Coppy
03-21-2013, 04:35 PM
Hi guys

Wondering if any owners or folks who have had a good listen to the TEA1 can give their comments on how it sounds. Since there are several variations, perhaps the type as well.

I have an opportunity to buy a used top of line TEA1 at a good price. That is the full Teflon caps with the 63db gain SUT input and the 45db 2nd input.

I have used the ev-1 before and that was quite open sounding. Not really looking for an euphoric sounding phono. I want a detailed transparent phono with the tube goodness but not too much with a tight tube bass.

Cheers
I have a TEA1bc and is at least as good you desire. Absolutely excellent and representative of the newest c-j sound. Very detailed and accurate, but still c-j. As to the output, you'll have to decide. Not sure which model you're looking at but the 1b is the basic model, the 1bc gives you teflon caps, the bt adds a transformer and ups the gain to 63db which should be plenty even for your low output carts. The very top of the line includes the transformer and the caps. They are a massive upgrade from the EV-1 phono preamps... you'll never need another.

Enjoy,
Bob

Marco1
03-21-2013, 06:02 PM
Hi guys

Cheers

I'm not sure how much I can help, but I own the Premier 15, which I can also attest is a huge step up from the EV-1. I pair it with a Premier 16LS2 and the Premier 12's XS. I've listened to the TEA1 (basic model), which does impart the more contemporary CJ sound when compared to the 15. Seeing that you've updated your Premier 8's with the Teflon caps, I think the TEA1 would complement them very nicely. As an option, you might want to consider an outboard step-up likes Bob's for example. You might be able to get a little better/closer match to your cartridge that way.

Regards, Mark

turntable
03-21-2013, 10:32 PM
I have a TEA1bc and is at least as good you desire. Absolutely excellent and representative of the newest c-j sound. Very detailed and accurate, but still c-j. As to the output, you'll have to decide. Not sure which model you're looking at but the 1b is the basic model, the 1bc gives you teflon caps, the bt adds a transformer and ups the gain to 63db which should be plenty even for your low output carts. The very top of the line includes the transformer and the caps. They are a massive upgrade from the EV-1 phono preamps... you'll never need another.

Enjoy,
Bob

Hi Bob

it is the bt full teflon, so the top of the line. Don't see these much on the used market.
I would hope it is a huge upgrade from the ev-1 :D

How quiet is your tea1 bc ?

If it is on a similar plain my reference TW Acustik phono, that would be super.
It is mainly as a 2nd phono stage to give me some flexibility with my 4 tables and various mc and mm carts.

cheers

I'm not sure how much I can help, but I own the Premier 15, which I can also attest is a huge step up from the EV-1. I pair it with a Premier 16LS2 and the Premier 12's XS. I've listened to the TEA1 (basic model), which does impart the more contemporary CJ sound when compared to the 15. Seeing that you've updated your Premier 8's with the Teflon caps, I think the TEA1 would complement them very nicely. As an option, you might want to consider an outboard step-up likes Bob's for example. You might be able to get a little better/closer match to your cartridge that way.

Regards, Mark

Hi Mark

I used to own the prem15, however I found it a little noisy with my dyna XV-1. Interestingly the ev-1 was quieter - in tube rush I am talking about.

Bob's SUT's are nice, but I would expect the SUT in the Tea1 to be better.

thanks for the input gentlemen :thumbsup:

Marco1
03-22-2013, 07:55 AM
Hi Mark

I used to own the prem15, however I found it a little noisy with my dyna XV-1. Interestingly the ev-1 was quieter - in tube rush I am talking about.

thanks for the input gentlemen :thumbsup:[/QUOTE]

Interesting, I had the opposite experience with the EV-1. But then I've never used the Premier 15 with a LOMC. How do you like the TW phono? I remember talking to Thomas about it several years ago, while I think it was still under development. At the time he was quite excited about it. Is it still in production? I've had my heart set on a TW table for quite some time. Maybe someday:yes:

Regards, Mark

turntable
03-22-2013, 09:52 AM
Hi Mark

Interesting, I had the opposite experience with the EV-1. But then I've never used the Premier 15 with a LOMC. How do you like the TW phono? I remember talking to Thomas about it several years ago, while I think it was still under development. At the time he was quite excited about it. Is it still in production? I've had my heart set on a TW table for quite some time. Maybe someday:yes:

Regards, Mark[/QUOTE]

The TW / Thoress phono is very good. It is only MC thou, hence looking for a 2nd phono with some flexibilty the TW does not have.
I think Thoress has released a new version of the phono with 4 or 5 inputs with flexible RIAA changes. Same circuit thou.

Trouble is I only used the prem15 with LOMC, hence probably the noise I found at the time.

Puma Cat
03-22-2013, 10:44 AM
Hi Mark

Personally, I'd be reluctant to support that conclusion without an actual A/B comparison. I own a Bob's SUT and have heard the trick new "blue" Cinemags and they are very, very impressive. You cannot go by price in this comparison; Bob's Devices are made by someone who has spent many years developing subject matter expertise around this one component. Also, as they are sold direct the from manufacturer to the customer, drawing conclusions based on price are likely to be inaccurate. My $395 Bob's Devices "red Cinemag" SUT for my Koetsu Urushi Vermilion performs as well or better than the expensive Yoshino SUTs in my EAR 324, and those exact same SUTs sell in a standalone implementation in the EAR MC4 for $2,295.

ronenash
03-22-2013, 12:59 PM
I use the blue Cinemags with my Denon 103R and prefer that setup to using more gain on the active phonostage. I agree with Stephen that the Cinemags are excellent. I am not sure what CJ are using inside the TEA1 but I assume its either Cinemag or the Lunduhl's. If you can find a good matching SUT for your pickup I would go with the 40db gain version and use an SUT.

I am planning on getting the TEA2 in that configuration to use with my Sumiko Blackbird and with the Denon through an SUT. You can also look at one of the TEA2 versions.

I have heard the basic TEA2 version and its was CJ magic at its best. I am sure the SE and MAX versions are both considerable upgrades.

Coppy
03-22-2013, 04:57 PM
Mark,

I just fired up the TEA1, turned Mr. GAT's volume up to 50 (way beyond normal) jammed my ear up against the Sashas and heard no tube rush. Did have a tiny bit of 60 cycle hum under that condition so need to look at cable dress from the turntable. Guess I should hook up the phono IC ground wire also.
As a second phono pre... it should be terrific. I'd be interested in hearing your listening comparisons as well. If you get the unit... hope you do, and there's a bit of tube rush, it will most certainly be the tubes. c-j goes to great lengths to pick the quietest tubes for the phono preamps. I'd contact them and letting them know what you have a get a new set of nice quiet tubes for the TEA1.

Good luck,
Bob

Marco1
03-22-2013, 07:42 PM
Personally, I'd be reluctant to support that conclusion without an actual A/B comparison. I own a Bob's SUT and have heard the trick new "blue" Cinemags and they are very, very impressive. You cannot go by price in this comparison; Bob's Devices are made by someone who has spent many years developing subject matter expertise around this one component. Also, as they are sold direct the from manufacturer to the customer, drawing conclusions based on price are likely to be inaccurate. My $395 Bob's Devices "red Cinemag" SUT for my Koetsu Urushi Vermilion performs as well or better than the expensive Yoshino SUTs in my EAR 324, and those exact same SUTs sell in a standalone implementation in the EAR MC4 for $2,295.

Interesting you should bring up the Bob's and Koetsu. That's the direction I'd like to head once I decide what arm I'm going to use when I buy my new Koetsu. I haven't had a chance to hear the 1131 Cinemag Blue yet, but I understand it's the 'cat's meow" (no pun intended:D)

Regards, Mark

PS some how Turntable and my quotes seem to have gotten mixed up a bit. I'm a newbee so I must have hit a wrong button:scratch2:

Marco1
03-22-2013, 08:00 PM

Mark,

I just fired up the TEA1, turned Mr. GAT's volume up to 50 (way beyond normal) jammed my ear up against the Sashas and heard no tube rush. Did have a tiny bit of 60 cycle hum under that condition so need to look at cable dress from the turntable. Guess I should hook up the phono IC ground wire also.
As a second phono pre... it should be terrific. I'd be interested in hearing your listening comparisons as well. If you get the unit... hope you do, and there's a bit of tube rush, it will most certainly be the tubes. c-j goes to great lengths to pick the quietest tubes for the phono preamps. I'd contact them and letting them know what you have a get a new set of nice quiet tubes for the TEA1.

Good luck,
Bob

Bob:

Even though your comment is directed at Turntable, I've had the same experience with my Premier 15. No tube rush even at high volumes, only some 60 cycle hum, I've been trying to get rid of as well.

I love to be able to report back on the TEA1 but unfortunately I'm not in that predicament. :sigh:

Regards, Mark

Coppy
03-23-2013, 08:20 AM
Bob:

Even though your comment is directed at Turntable, I've had the same experience with my Premier 15. No tube rush even at high volumes, only some 60 cycle hum, I've been trying to get rid of as well.

I love to be able to report back on the TEA1 but unfortunately I'm not in that predicament. :sigh:

Regards, Mark

Hmm.. sorry about the confusion. Surely Turntable got the message...