PDA

View Full Version : Audi R8 V10

PHC1
08-26-2009, 09:06 PM
Took a look at the new V10 R8 today. Very Nice! :thumbsup: 5.2L V10 at 525HP. All wheel drive quattro, 0-60 in 3.9 and good for 196 mph. Besides the car they have on the floor, there is only one build slot that they will be getting. Sorry for the crappy cell phone pics.

KMC45
08-26-2009, 09:10 PM
Saw one at the dealer last week, pretty nice.

PHC1
08-26-2009, 09:18 PM
V8 vs V10 R8's. YouTube - Audi R8 V10 versus Audi R8 V8 review (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jeE7nCIlXrE)

JFR0317
08-26-2009, 09:35 PM
Very cool, Serge. That V-10 is a very close cousin to the Lambo V-10. Good stuff!

PHC1
08-26-2009, 09:44 PM
Very cool, Serge. That V-10 is a very close cousin to the Lambo V-10. Good stuff!

Yes, it is John. :yes: YouTube - Fifth Gear Audi R8 V10 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqT4UqpMTC4)

Still-One
08-26-2009, 10:40 PM
I just received the new issue of Car & Driver and they compare the R8 V10 with the Ferrari 430 Scuderia. It was close but the $130k more expensive Ferrari came out a couple of points ahead. As far a 0-60, 1/4 mile and top speed. They were right on top of each other.

jdandy
08-26-2009, 11:50 PM
Serge.......Did I actually see a tiny little crack of a smile when you were behind the wheel of that R8, or was that just my imagination? :D

Masterlu
08-26-2009, 11:55 PM
I'll take the Ferrari all day long. :yes:

KMC45
08-26-2009, 11:55 PM
While i've owned nothing but new Audis the last ten years or so, i'd still buy a new 911 Turbo before i'd buy that Audi.

PHC1
08-27-2009, 12:28 AM
I just received the new issue of Car & Driver and they compare the R8 V10 with the Ferrari 430 Scuderia. It was close but the $130k more expensive Ferrari came out a couple of points ahead. As far a 0-60, 1/4 mile and top speed. They were right on top of each other.

One can buy a V10 and a V8 R8 for the price of the F430 Scud. :D Still, they are very different cars and to many the Scud is well worth the difference. :yes:

PHC1
08-27-2009, 12:34 AM
Serge.......Did I actually see a tiny little crack of a smile when you were behind the wheel of that R8, or was that just my imagination? :D

Maybe just a tiny one. :scratch2: Can't say that I am spoiled but I usually don't get overly excited about things either. :dunno: I can see the R8 V10 being a really fun car to own for sure though. :yes: I think the little smirk was after the dealer mentioned he'd be willing to discount the car a bit. They used to carry a premium. :D

PHC1
08-27-2009, 12:36 AM
I'll take the Ferrari all day long. :yes:

Not that any of these cars are daily's but I can see myself actually driving an R8 on a more frequent basis. :scratch2:

PHC1
08-27-2009, 12:40 AM
While i've owned nothing but new Audis the last ten years or so, i'd still buy a new 911 Turbo before i'd buy that Audi.

Maybe I am just used to the 911 interior but I found the R8 interior to be more interesting and well appointed. The V10 exhaust note will also stimulate the driver much more aurally than the rather subdued "whoosh" of the 911 Turbo. :yes: For me, a large part of the driving satisfaction is being able to hear the engine sing. :music:

Uberbrown
08-27-2009, 09:07 AM
Serge,

Looked so serious in the picture! Showing off the "guns" for arms!

Masterlu
08-27-2009, 09:22 AM
Nah, that's Serge's happy face. :)

Uberbrown
08-27-2009, 09:35 AM

:paranoid:

PHC1
08-27-2009, 11:08 AM
Serge,

Looked so serious in the picture! Showing off the "guns" for arms!

That's my "racing for pinks" look. :D

PHC1
08-27-2009, 11:10 AM

Ivan, you know me well. :smoking:

Taylode
08-27-2009, 02:03 PM
Maybe I am just used to the 911 interior but I found the R8 interior to be more interesting and well appointed. The V10 exhaust note will also stimulate the driver much more aurally than the rather subdued "whoosh" of the 911 Turbo. :yes: For me, a large part of the driving satisfaction is being able to hear the engine sing. :music:

Pull the cats out and go aftermarket and the noise can be quite intoxicating in the 911 Turbo. :D

Still-One
08-27-2009, 02:23 PM
Pull the cats out and go aftermarket and the noise can be quite intoxicating in the 911 Turbo. :D
The sound with the aluminum exhaust on my 930 was anything but polite. If I tried to run the engine in the garage during the winter, it would walk my wife's crystal right of the shelves in the dining room. :)

Taylode
08-27-2009, 03:15 PM
The sound with the aluminum exhaust on my 930 was anything but polite. If I tried to run the engine in the garage during the winter, it would walk my wife's crystal right of the shelves in the dining room. :)

Mine too!

PHC1
08-27-2009, 05:20 PM
Just about any car can be "uncorked"... I have "AWE Tuning" and "Fabspeed" close by. :yes: Of course running a stock car that has a healthy exhaust to begin with and not having to worry about "check engine" lights, bypassing cats or numerous other mods is always appealing to me. :yes: My GT3 had an appealing enough "wail". :thumbsup: The Turbo would need a lot of work to get it to sound aggressive enough. :scratch2:

Taylode
08-27-2009, 05:37 PM
Turbo's by their very nature dampen the exhaust note, but with a little tweaking can be made to sound marvelous. (ala Fabspeed) My Ruf, which came without cats but fortunately most smog testers thought the heater boxes were cats was very raucous outside the car; however, in the car the sound was just right. :thumbsup: Driving away from the sound was a good thing! :yes:

Still-One
08-27-2009, 06:35 PM
Just about any car can be "uncorked"... I have "AWE Tuning" and "Fabspeed" close by. :yes: Of course running a stock car that has a healthy exhaust to begin with and not having to worry about "check engine" lights, bypassing cats or numerous other mods is always appealing to me. :yes: My GT3 had an appealing enough "wail". :thumbsup: The Turbo would need a lot of work to get it to sound aggressive enough. :scratch2:
Serge
You had the "wail" but holy crap you also has to look at the GT3 "Tail". That spoiler may have worked on the road, but not on the eyes. :)

I never have driven either a GT2 Turbo or a GT3. (Goes without saying, nor a GT1).
Jim

PHC1
08-27-2009, 06:47 PM
Serge
You had the "wail" but holy crap you also has to look at the GT3 "Tail". That spoiler may have worked on the road, but not on the eyes. :)

I never have driven either a GT2 Turbo or a GT3. (Goes without saying, nor a GT1).
Jim

I think you are the first person to mention they didn't like the tail of the GT3. :scratch2: I liked it. :yes: Didn't look out of place on that car.

http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd18/PHC1_2007/GT3/IMG_1394.jpg
http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd18/PHC1_2007/GT3/IMG_1390.jpg

PHC1
08-27-2009, 07:53 PM
Silver is really nice but I'm also liking the R8 in Ibis White... :scratch2:

YouTube - Officially New Audi R8 V10 5.2 FSI Quattro 2009 Driving (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wo746rvzuCU)

PHC1
08-27-2009, 08:02 PM
All wheel drive cars may not be the ultimate choice for the race track but Quattro is a big plus for spirited road driving. :yes: YouTube - Audi R8 V10 drift [Drivers Republic] (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DV6nc1t8uLM)

JFR0317
08-27-2009, 08:03 PM
So when are you taking delivery, Serge?:D

PHC1
08-27-2009, 08:07 PM
So when are you taking delivery, Serge?:D

Seriously considering the V10. :scratch2:

JFR0317
08-27-2009, 08:13 PM
Seriously considering the V10. :scratch2:
Go for it! White is very nice, too!:banana:

PHC1
08-27-2009, 08:15 PM
Go for it! White is very nice, too!:banana:

It could be a bit of a wait... :D I think my dealer may have a build slot in the next 6 months. :boring:

PHC1
08-29-2009, 12:51 AM
Turns out to be one of the most efficient supercars. :D YouTube - Top Gear SLR vs Audi R8 vs DBS vs 599 GTB vs Murcielago (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rk7ALET9FC4)

PHC1
08-29-2009, 01:05 AM
Jeremy Clarkson likes it.... :smoking: YouTube - Top Gear - Audi R8 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLoAq0Jjic0)

Still-One
11-12-2009, 09:55 AM
Here is an interesting quick review of the R8 V10.

R8 a reason to celebrate
Looking through windshield of Audi supercar, it's a world made for drivers

There will be nothing critical in this review.
I should probably recuse myself from even writing about the 2010 Audi R8 5.2 FSI V-10 because I love this car.
I will not be fair and balanced or even objective because life behind the wheel of the R8 5.2 FSI is one viewed through a rose-colored windshield. I am the Fox News of car reviews today for conservative drivers and MSNBC for those who lean so far left they're actually facing backwards.
Oh, there are probably a few bad things that could be said about this supercar. I didn't test the R tronic sequential manual/automatic transmission, which is abysmal on the V-8 model. And if I had $10 in my pocket, I'd only need $145,990 more to buy the base model.

So why review it? First of all, it's my job, and second of all, Audi handed me the keys. Trust me, if Audi came to you and offered you a chance to drive around a more powerful R8, you'd figure out how to take out a second mortgage for a week's worth of gas. (Technically, the R8 5.2 FSI gets 20 miles per gallon on the highway, but that's only if you drive it like a girly man. I barely managed 11 mpg after repeated acceleration drills along Lafayette Boulevard.) I may not have thought the R8 needed two more cylinders -- eight seemed plenty enough for the mid-engine supercar. But I was wrong, this car is so good it brings out the bad in you.
Wrap a halo around this devil, tie it in a bow, and hit the gas -- 3.7 seconds later, you're getting a speeding ticket.
There are lots of facts and figures I could include on the newest R8 to join Audi's growing family. There's the all-wheel drive system that lets the R8 pass cars from impossible angles. It's not surefooted; it takes corners like a life-sized Tyco slot car -- you can hit 90 degree city corners at 40 mph with surgical precision -- well, maybe not surgical, but try that in a Mustang. Audi's magnetic ride active dampening system allows you to fine tune the aluminum double wishbone suspension to near perfection.
The car gods must be German. After all, it's one of the few countries with a highway system that dares you to go faster -- and the R8 V-10 has a top speed of 196.4 mph -- though in Germany it sounds better to say 316 kilometers per hour. Why else would Audi encase the 525-horsepower V-10 in glass, if not to provide the automotive overseers a chance to glimpse down at that direct injection piece of mechanical madness. Das ist gut.
Ausgezeichnet.
Freakish museum piece
There's something freakishly cool about the elongated body. The 104.3-inch wheelbase looks as if it stretches much farther. The car looks disproportionate but right at the same time. There's an awkward curiosity; you look at the R8 the same way you might stare at a person 8 feet tall. You're going to tell someone about it later.
Audi has added a few more special touches to this R8. The LED headlamps, both high beam and low beam, as well as the LED brow that has become an Audi signature, are standard on the R8 5.2 FSI. They are pieces of art. The whole front end should be cast in bronze and put in the Louvre for future generations. And the bulging backside looks like a space ship with its dual oval exhaust pipes and black swaths of plastic connecting everything.
There's even some subtle symbolism in the 2010's R8's design: Each daytime running light uses 24 LEDs and there are 24 vents surrounding the engine cover. Audi has 24 wins at LeMans. Coincidence? I think not.
A car made for drivers
And it's no accident that the R8 is so comfortable. The black leather seats and leather-covered dash seem a little cold and mechanical. The silver aluminum trim throughout the cabin carries that theme forward. This is not a warm and fuzzy kind of cabin; it's designed for the driver, a serious one at that.
The open-face plate for the six-speed manual transmission exposes each gate and it looks like a machined rib cage. It rewards the driver with a frozen click with every gear shift.
Even the MMI system, a single wheel-like switch on the center console, allows the driver to remotely move through the car's controls quickly. Once you learn how to use it, you never have to look down at the buttons to find what you need.
There are the typical features you'd expect from a luxury supercar: Bluetooth connectivity, back up camera, and even a Bang & Olufsen 465-watt 12-speaker sound system. It feels luxurious through and through.
Like any other supercar, there isn't much room. There's a small trunk under the hood -- enough room for a gym bag -- and some room behind the two seats.
Everywhere you drive the R8, people will look. It's inevitable. How can they not? With its growling engine and daytime running lights, this car stands out -- among the reasons a person buys it. Everyone seems to love it.
Now, there is one person in greater Metro Detroit who may not care for the R8.
He was driving next to me along Woodward Avenue, no doubt staring at me cruising up to Ferndale. What he wasn't looking at was the car stopped at the traffic light in front of him.
Poor guy, he was driving an Audi too.

Still-One
11-12-2009, 09:12 PM
I saw a great advertisement on CNN this morning while I was getting dressed. A beautiful girl says be careful to a guy then shows him getting into an R8. What you see next is several people like women, children and a mechanic as passes thru town. The last scene shows the car driving past the European Road sign for you are leaving Maranello.

PHC1
12-09-2010, 11:59 AM
In case the standard V10 is not enough, Stasis engineering built a supercharger kit that will boost the power to 710HP. Comes with a 4 year warranty and can be installed by Audi dealer. :D. Video: 710 HP STaSIS Engineering Supercharged V10 R8 Spyder | The Smoking Tire (http://www.thesmokingtire.com/2010/video-review-710-hp-stasis-engineering-supercharged-r8-v10-spyder/)

howiebrou
12-09-2010, 02:48 PM
The new R8 GT is great!

Here's the Maranello commercial.

YouTube - Audi R8 V10 in Maranello (highest quality) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIn2N0vuQrY)