PDA

View Full Version : New review of the Clearaudio coming, comparing to the MDA 1000 / Linn Ikemi CD player

Jerome W
08-23-2009, 10:26 AM
Hi Guys,

To be more serious than my previous attempt to describe the sound of the Clearaudio Campion level II TT, I'm preparing a very detailed A / B direct comparison between the MDA 1000 - Linn Ikemi CD set-up and the Clearaudio LP player, which should be more interesting than just comparing the Clearaudio to the Linn sound.
I have several records both in CD and LP and I will buy more to be the more complete possible ( Acoustic instruments / electronic music / voices / Rock... ). That's a lot of work and analysis so it will take time. Be patient !
My first conclusions are that it is no wonder if Mc had Clearaudio for basis of its TT. They have the same sonic signature, although differences in sound can be very noticeable. At least, for acoustic instruments recordings (real ones : piano, cello, drums...) the Clearaudio is clearly above the MDA 1000.
And this is not a question of taste, but it is based on objective observations. For Rock and electronic instruments, that is sometimes the opposite. . On some recordings, differences are very tiny. On some others, they are very large. Very instructive and interesting in my opinion.

I will also wait for the Lyngdorf RP1 to be here to make the tests, or if the Lyngdorf don't suit my tastes, a fully complete acoustical treatment of the room, becuase my room has by the moment a big influence on the sound.
The aim of this "study" won't be to convert CD addicts to LP reproduction or the opposite. It will be to identify more precisely the strenghts and weaknesses of both means of sound reproduction and eventually help me (and others ?) to know when I ( we ) should buy a particular record in LP or in CD, when the LP version is available. But the weak point of the study will be that the result will only be of value for a system similar to mine.
Maybe with a better phono stage than the C1000, I could prefer Lp's all the time. With other speakers, one could prefer Cd's. ( I prefered almost always CD playbach vs LPs on my ESL Final full range panels, even if the LP sound was very nice....). Maybe that with a more high end CD player, I would always prefer CDs ? Or the opposite with a 150000 $ value TT ( which I'll never have )?

So, before making all this work, could you please tell me if some of you would be interested in such a review, or am I loosing my time ?

Best wishes

Jérôme

jdandy
08-23-2009, 12:01 PM
Jérôme.......I am most interested in your opinion of this comparison. This will be a great review, and a meticulous comparison will certainly be done by you, I'm sure. Looking forward to it.

Alberto
08-23-2009, 07:53 PM
So, before making all this work, could you please tell me if some of you would be interested in such a review, or am I loosing my time ?

Jerome, I'd definitely be very interested.

Thanks,

Alberto

two dot
08-23-2009, 11:43 PM
Jerome,

You're thoughts on this most interesting topic would be of great value to this forum..

Respectfully Submitted...

Two Dot

Jerome W
08-24-2009, 01:59 AM
Thanks for the replies !

We are at least 4 interested in that : that's enough for me !

Cheers,

Jérôme