PDA

View Full Version : NAIM Unitiserve 2 TB

Tomictime
02-10-2013, 06:58 PM
Some thoughts on the NAIM after living w it a few weeks...

Why I choose this over a generic box server or a Mac Mini.

( some of these may proove to not be so valid...)

Wanted an "Audio" company designed product..with longevity
Support
Warranty 2 years
It is VERY Quiet
Can double as a CD player
Ripping is drop dead easy and except for load and unload automated.
Wanted RF isolation...figured that an audio company would at least consider that..
Wanted an Ipad hosted control app..in this case n serve developed by NAIM, it is free.
Preferred black...
Wanted 2 TB at least
IF a non linear ( dsp) supply, wanted it from reputable audio company.

Some observations...

i am running it wireless against NAIM recommendation as Audiobeat reviewer did. i do have a Belkin Network switch between it and Apple Airport Express - which is white... NOT black!!!!

I ripped 340 CD's before backing up....backup is kind of a PITA as while the NAIM has 4 USB ports it does not support an external drive, must use a NAS drive. I bought a Seagate 2 TB drive..which is also a PITA to setup. Pretty sure I have a BU running.."pretty sure.

Some BU functionality is controlled via a windows based desktop client, so some confusion w Apple products expected...

Sound Quality seems pretty good but the DAC ( Aesthetix Pandora) has less than 20 hours so I will reserve judgement...

Josquin des Prez
02-10-2013, 08:34 PM
I would have liked having a UnitiServe for my Naim ND5 XS but cannot justify the cost when a Mac Mini will do well enough for me at a fraction of cost. And I am a huge Naim Audio fan.

o0OBillO0o
02-10-2013, 08:38 PM
I would have liked having a UnitiServe for my Naim ND5 XS but cannot justify the cost when a Mac Mini will do well enough for me at a fraction of cost. And I am a huge Naim Audio fan.

Yup. Mac mini + iOS is hard to beat for Music and video.

Sent from my iPhone using A.Aficionado

Josquin des Prez
02-10-2013, 08:45 PM
Yup. Mac mini + iOS is hard to beat for Music and video.

Sent from my iPhone using A.AficionadoExcept for iTunes. I don't think there is a piece of software I hate more. <hoch ptui...>

At the moment I am running JRiver Media Center in a Windows VM. Both JRiver and Asset UPnP have Mac versions of their UPnP servers coming out, so I will use one of those.

Tomictime
02-27-2013, 08:21 PM
Several developments...

Loaded some 500 discs with nary an error. Bit perfect ripping is IDIOT proof.
i am now rabid about finding used CD' to load so I can experiment w taste

DRIVE is how I would characterize the sound of the ripped file vs. old CD player. To get a more direct comparison I would need another Eagle Eye cable and I am not going to do that. nserve the ipad app is great, it needs a few enhancements to alter the standard display screens but all in all not bad.

the beta version of nserve to run on MAC works well.

Naim need to get busy w apple desktop client. The client is the ONLY way to edit metadata, add album art, etc...

Internet radio at higher rates 320 KBPS is a marvel, for example Radio Paradise (Calif) version of Stones Some Girls was on par w ripped CD version..now granted, this is not a REF audiophile recording...but it sounded GOOD....and in fact made me go out and get the new remastered version to see IF perhaps that was what they streamed.....things that make ya go...hmmmmmmmmmm ?????

Against NAIM recommendatin I am connected to NET via wireless, ZERO issues. i did use a switch between server and airport. NAS drive is local at switch.

Files via USB on server are a snap

The NAS drive is working well, if a bit slow which I think is a function of how I have it hooked up.

Next project besides expanding music collection is perhaps a Pardo linear supply w silver cable to replace the NAIM provided DSP. 4 bills plus tax and shipping....

Josquin des Prez
02-27-2013, 08:42 PM
...Against NAIM recommendatin I am connected to NET via wireless, ZERO issues. i did use a switch between server and airport. NAS drive is local at switch...

I did that until I tried to stream 24/192 files to my ND5 XS and that just didn't work. I had to switch to an ethernet connection.

enatai252
02-28-2013, 04:24 PM
Several developments...

the beta version of nserve to run on MAC works well.

Naim need to get busy w apple desktop client. The client is the ONLY way to edit metadata, add album art, etc...

The MAC n-serve application does allow all of the server functionality of the Windows Desktop Client app. You can edit data and change cover art.

UPDATED (14-01-2013):

n-Serve for Mac is now out of the public beta testing phase and is available to download for free from the Mac App Store.

A public beta version of our new n-Serve for Mac control app is now available to download from the Naim website here. This new Mac app offers all the Naim server (HDX, UnitiServe, NS01, NS02, NS03) maintenance and control functionality of the already available Windows Naim Desk Top Client alongside new features available on n-Serve for iOS devices.

n-Serve for Mac allows the user to:

Build and edit playlists
Browse by cover art
Edit metadata
Access server maintenance and configuration settings
Browse internet radio and save presets
Explore music library by following extended metadata links (e.g. clicking on a performer displays all of the music they have been involved with)

n-Serve for Mac delivers a super-fast browsing experience thanks to locally cached music library data and is available in English, German, French, Spanish, Italian and Dutch. The new platform also allowed Naim’s software engineers to develop some completely new features exclusive to n-Serve for Mac. These include:

New design native to Mac user interface
Simple drag and drop playlist creation and album art editing
Link to Google, Wikipedia and YouTube from directly within the application to discover everything you could ever want to know about your music
Radio presets can be linked to a web page to allow fast access to programme information for your favourite stations

o0OBillO0o
02-28-2013, 04:34 PM
Wow, very interesting..

enatai252
02-28-2013, 04:39 PM
I currently use a HDX-SSD in both my homes to serve as the CD ripper and UPnP server. I started using them as the source but have moved to using the NDS/555PSDR (study system), ARC Ref DAC (cabin system) and now have the Vivaldi stack coming (main system). I also have four Qutes throughout the two homes for distributed sound. I have about 1500 CDs ripped to date and about 300 hi rez albums. All reside on a QNAP NAS with 4 1TB disks (one in each house). I was able to set up the NAS at each home to use remote replication so when I rip a CD or download a hi-rez recording at home....it signals the other NAS at the cabin and copies the files over there. I am very happy with what Naim has done...I am one of their beta testers...and have lived through the many developments since the purchase of the initial HDX over 4+ years ago. I do still listen to my LP12 and the CD555...but encourage all CD disc spinners to look into computer based audio. I chose to not put a computer in the mix...but understand the points that it is a viable solution and in some cases more cost effective. And of course that is really what the HDX is...just specialized for its one purpose. FWIW....while I enjoyed the sound from just the HDX....when I moved to HDX feeding NDAC/555 the sound quality improved substaintially....and it was not until the NDS/555 that I felt it was worth the upgrade away from the NDAC.

o0OBillO0o
02-28-2013, 04:42 PM
Link to Google, Wikipedia and YouTube from directly within the application to discover everything you could ever want to know about your music
Radio presets can be linked to a web page to allow fast access to programme information for your favourite stations

Metadata is where it's at, I really need a program that will automagically fix and edit all track data to include add tags for moods, just like the AMG Music guide with out the Sooloos, aka Meridian Digital Music System, price and ecosystem.

Josquin des Prez
02-28-2013, 04:48 PM
I wouldn't mind having a UnitiServe for my ND5 XS, but it's just priced too high for me.

Still-One
02-28-2013, 04:49 PM
The one function of this Naim unit that captures my attention is the ability to store as bit for bit wave. My Meridian does not do this.

jdandy
02-28-2013, 05:17 PM
The one function of this Naim unit that captures my attention is the ability to store as bit for bit wave. My Meridian does not do this.

Jim.......Your Olive 04HD stored .wav files. I rip everything to .wav on my 04HD except the HDTracks hi-res FLAC downloads.

Tomictime
02-28-2013, 08:53 PM
Thanks for the heads up !!!!!! I will get the new software and see how it does !!!!

The MAC n-serve application does allow all of the server functionality of the Windows Desktop Client app. You can edit data and change cover art.

UPDATED (14-01-2013):

n-Serve for Mac is now out of the public beta testing phase and is available to download for free from the Mac App Store.

A public beta version of our new n-Serve for Mac control app is now available to download from the Naim website here. This new Mac app offers all the Naim server (HDX, UnitiServe, NS01, NS02, NS03) maintenance and control functionality of the already available Windows Naim Desk Top Client alongside new features available on n-Serve for iOS devices.

n-Serve for Mac allows the user to:

Build and edit playlists
Browse by cover art
Edit metadata
Access server maintenance and configuration settings
Browse internet radio and save presets
Explore music library by following extended metadata links (e.g. clicking on a performer displays all of the music they have been involved with)

n-Serve for Mac delivers a super-fast browsing experience thanks to locally cached music library data and is available in English, German, French, Spanish, Italian and Dutch. The new platform also allowed Naim’s software engineers to develop some completely new features exclusive to n-Serve for Mac. These include:

New design native to Mac user interface