PDA

View Full Version : Just spent a day with the Boulder 3060s...

Tonepub
02-02-2013, 01:36 AM
I must say that after listening to the Boulder 3060 mono blocks, that I've never heard anything quite like these. Playing through the Grande Utopias, it's the most amazing system I've yet heard.

$205k a pair and pretty damn amazing!

jazzhead
02-02-2013, 02:29 AM
Awesome ... Lucky you !!! did the lights dim when they powered on , must be one heckuva draw ....:scratch2:

LordoftheRingsEE
02-02-2013, 02:45 AM
-- Yes indeed, lucky you! ...Are you back on Earth yet?

Bodhisattva
02-02-2013, 05:39 AM
Were you referring to the 3050 mono's? But yes the 3060 is phenomenal. I was talking to Rich Maez about that amp & he quipped that he works there & even he can't take one home! You're a lucky guy! What is exciting is the new thinking which has gone into the 3000 series will start to filter down the line into new products in the future :cool:

C2300MC275
02-02-2013, 08:45 AM
That is my dream system. Focal Grande with Boulder 3050 monos.:drool:

What source and pre were you using?

VT Skier
02-02-2013, 09:20 AM
I've never understood why Boulder gets almost no coverage in the audio press. For instance, the 2020 looks like a very good DAC, although extremely expensive. But I'm not sure I've ever one seen one mentioned, much less reviewed.

And I can't remember the last time I saw a Boulder review in TAS or Stereophile.

Masterlu
02-02-2013, 12:12 PM
That reminds me, I still have a pair of very large & heavy Analog Domain Artemi's here. :scratch2:

Tonepub
02-02-2013, 12:13 PM
Sorry about the typo.

We reviewed their 1000 series phono stage a few years ago when it came out and it is excellent. They have some new things on the horizon, so hopefully we will see more.

asiufy
02-02-2013, 02:13 PM
That reminds me, I still have a pair of very large & heavy Analog Domain Artemi's here. :scratch2:

And what did you think of them??

alexandre

Masterlu
02-02-2013, 02:17 PM
Didn't like those?

alexandre

I'm embarrassed to say they are still in the crates. :whistle:

-E-
02-02-2013, 02:21 PM
I still remember a Boulder+Utopia BE setup I had the chance to listen to awhile back.

It was simply marvelous. Those are two brands that gel together.

Masterlu
02-02-2013, 02:30 PM
I still remember a Boulder+Utopia BE setup I had the chance to listen to awhile back.

It was simply marvelous. Those are two brands that gel together.

Hey, you gonna visit me in the Cape later this year Amigo? :)

-E-
02-02-2013, 02:46 PM
It's on the to-do list. But a lot of other stuff going on here that has my travel plans truncated for the foreseeable future.

I'd like nothing more than to come hang out with you for a few days. We'd certainly get into enough trouble... :D

Masterlu
02-02-2013, 02:49 PM
It's on the to-do list. But a lot of other stuff going on here that has my travel plans truncated for the foreseeable future.

I'd like nothing more than to come hang out with you for a few days. We'd certainly get into enough trouble... :D

http://www.chicagonow.com/daily-miracle/files/2012/03/nike.jpg

Bodhisattva
02-02-2013, 11:47 PM
I've never understood why Boulder gets almost no coverage in the audio press. For instance, the 2020 looks like a very good DAC, although extremely expensive. But I'm not sure I've ever one seen one mentioned, much less reviewed.

And I can't remember the last time I saw a Boulder review in TAS or Stereophile.
+ 1. Some of the reasons why they are not frequently reviewed is, Firstly they don't really need reviews. Boulder gear already sells well & they're in fact expanding their factory space substantially as their business grows. Secondly, they don't design products around product brochures with a model lifecycle of 3-4 years. And finally, Boulder aim for neutrality and don't have any identifyable sound of their own. In high end audio, most folks prefer their amps with some colorations (eg: sweetness) or low frequency overshoot (warmth). My view is you can add a touch of warmth elsewhere (eg: cables, source) if that's your thing. Ultimately Boulder's pursuit is to give you the music as accurately and faithfully as possible. And they do so with engineering excellence.

tcs
02-03-2013, 08:31 AM
What is exciting is the new thinking which has gone into the 3000 series will start to filter down the line into new products in the future :cool::thumbsup:

Hi David,what's the new thinking from Boulder? Any chance that maybe 1060/2060 will be upgraded to MKII this year?? 2060 has been produced for 15 years!! :banana:

Bodhisattva
02-04-2013, 10:37 AM
:thumbsup:

Hi David,what's the new thinking from Boulder? Any chance that maybe 1060/2060 will be upgraded to MKII this year?? 2060 has been produced for 15 years!! :banana:TCS, really the 3000 series was an effort to further evolve the technology in the 2000 series, but with a fresh page and without cost constraints. Following this development, Boulder developed new methods of designing and milling chassis, new proprietary 99H gain stages, microprocessor-controlled bias circuitry, multiple potted "floating" power supplies for each phase, new circuit boards, pcb mounting techniques and so on.

Boulder are keeping their cards close to their chest, but yes the 2060 is coming up to 16 years in continuous production (the 1060 is in it's 13th year), so when Boulder introduce new models down the line, the 2060 is likely to be one of the first models to be updated. It should be noted however that Boulder don't do "Mk2" updates. Any new models in the future will be entirely new designs.

Tonepub
02-04-2013, 12:30 PM
After spending a day at Boulder, let's just say you're not quite on the mark in your thinking....

Bodhisattva
02-04-2013, 04:20 PM
After spending a day at Boulder, let's just say you're not quite on the mark in your thinking....
Boulder didn't develop new cad-designed CNC milled chassis techniques?...didn't develop the new 99H gain stage?...new power supplies, circuit boards & pcb mounting techniques? As for the rest, my assumptions are pretty fair for the average punter. If I know any more, i'm not saying and will leave the press releases in Jeff's good hands :yes:

VT Skier
02-07-2013, 11:09 AM
So if someone was considering a Boulder purchase in the 1000 or 2000 series, it sounds like it would be wise to wait a little bit, yes?

Blippy
02-07-2013, 11:20 AM
So if someone was considering a Boulder purchase in the 1000 or 2000 series, it sounds like it would be wise to wait a little bit, yes?

Having no desire to betray the confidence of my sources I can simply say this... I was ready to buy a 2010 and 2060 about 3 weeks ago and decided to hold off for 9 - 12 months.

Since I needed an amp (sold my old ones to fund the 2060) I ordered a Rowland 925 instead.

Masterlu
02-07-2013, 12:40 PM
AMP... Welcome! :wave:

Blippy
02-07-2013, 02:23 PM
AMP... Welcome! :wave:

Thanks! This looks to be a friendly place filled with people sharing my audio affliction.

chessman
02-07-2013, 07:15 PM
AMP, welcome aboard! :wave:

joeinid
02-08-2013, 03:09 AM
Having no desire to betray the confidence of my sources I can simply say this... I was ready to buy a 2010 and 2060 about 3 weeks ago and decided to hold off for 9 - 12 months.

Since I needed an amp (sold my old ones to fund the 2060) I ordered a Rowland 925 instead.

Thanks! This looks to be a friendly place filled with people sharing my audio affliction.

Welcome AMP,

Based on your first posts, I think you've found the right place. :banana:

:welcome2.::pg2:

Can't wait to see what gear you end up with, thanks!

Bodhisattva
02-09-2013, 12:45 AM

Boulder don't post in this forum, and have made no announcements about new products in these series. Most people I know would not make purchasing decisions I involving tens of thousands of dollars based on speculation and unconfirmed 'sources'.

I am sure Boulder will make product announcements when new products are ready for market and the timing is right for their business.

VT Skier
02-09-2013, 09:16 AM
I appreciate your point of view, but have to respectfully disagree. I would be very surprised if Boulder wasn't putting whatever was learned developing the 3000 series into their "lower end" products.

And given the age of the 2000 series, for me, it would be foolish to spend tens of thousands of dollars without closely examining, and even speculating on, the product's life cycle. I'm sure others use different criteria for their purchasing decisions, but mine work for me. I believe more information is always better than less.

And thank you AMP, and everyone else, for your thoughts.

Bodhisattva
02-09-2013, 02:47 PM
VT, I was not suggesting Boulder are not developing their lower series products with a view to adding new products in future. I just think it is a disservice to Boulder and to members to circulate speculation since Boulder as i've said have made no public announcements about the future of their other series. Even if Boulder are working on new products, they may delay or even cancel a product before it even reaches a media release.

Fwiw, i'd be happy to hear any official information from Boulder regarding new products & agree with you that it would be good to see the lower series refreshed with new products, starting with the 2000 series.

Johnbr
02-09-2013, 09:13 PM
I wonder why they killed there AV/Pre that they were working on.

mbovaird
02-09-2013, 09:48 PM
I wonder why they killed there AV/Pre that they were working on.

My guess is that this is a tough market for the traditional audio companies to play in. Denon, Marantz, etc. focus their energies on building great leading edge AV/Preamps with HDMI 1.4, 4K, along with all the latest and greatest different Dolby formats and due to economies of scale they can ultimately produce a lot more for a lot less with a much faster turnaround time. I find that by the time Classe, McIntosh, Krell, etc. have come of with their prepros, they are already behind the times and playing catchup to Denon and Marantz IF features are what you are looking for. If you are talking pure sonic quality, then the audiophile company products would be tough to beat. If you are talking features, outputs, inputs, price for performance, the "latest and greatest" features - then Denon, Marantz and a few others are tough to beat.

That being said, no doubt it would have been interesting to see them complete the project. I bet it would have sounded amazing.

BillK
02-13-2013, 09:43 AM
Yes - note that Mark Levinson tried to make a Pre/Pro without much success, and the "like new" Mcintosh MX121 is already outdated compared to Marantz' offerings as it won't support 4K (and at this point, who would spend $6K on a Pre/Pro that can't do 4K?)

tcs
05-03-2013, 04:06 AM

:banana:2100 series is coming!

ILUVAUDIO
07-11-2013, 01:12 AM
:banana:2100 series is coming!

WOO HOOOOOOOO!!!!!!:thumbsup: