PDA

View Full Version : Ces 2013

rthomeint
01-29-2013, 01:40 AM
I finally got the chance to here the GAT along with the Stereo ART. I must say mighty impressive. I really want to hear that combination in a better environment. I hope to travel in the spring to a dealer to get a real audition.

Puma Cat
02-02-2013, 03:30 PM
I'd love to hear that combination.

joeinid
02-02-2013, 03:35 PM
I'd love to hear that combination.

+1

I am sure It's wonderful. There really is something wonderful coming out of CJ gear.

Myles B. Astor
02-02-2013, 03:55 PM
I finally got the chance to here the GAT along with the Stereo ART. I must say mighty impressive. I really want to hear that combination in a better environment. I hope to travel in the spring to a dealer to get a real audition.

What system did you hear them in?

rthomeint
02-03-2013, 12:38 AM
In the Conrad-Johnson Room the source was the HD3 DAC THe GAT and the Stereo Art with a pair of Penaudio Sinfonietta speakers. The sound was outstanding very musical. I would consider this system a bargain especially listening to so many systems north of $250,000 that sounded medicore at best.

Puma Cat
02-03-2013, 05:10 PM
I've always been of the opinion that C-J gear, while not inexpensive, runs with the best of the ultra-high end gear at considerably higher prices. I've no doubt that the HD3, GAT and ART Sa combination was extremely impressive. I feel fortunate to own a C-J system, that, while not quite at GAT or ART levels, compares very very favorably to gear I hear at CAS or RMAF.

Myles B. Astor
02-03-2013, 05:14 PM
I've always been of the opinion that C-J gear, while not inexpensive, runs with the best of the ultra-high end gear at considerably higher prices. I've no doubt that the HD3, GAT and ART Sa combination was extremely impressive. I feel fortunate to own a C-J system, that, while not quite at GAT or ART levels, compares very very favorably to gear I hear at CAS or RMAF.

Did you ever wonder what happened to the GAT amplifier? :)

rthomeint
02-03-2013, 06:37 PM

I remember seeing a few years ago at CES. I wonder if it was a victim of the economy just as the case work on the entry and mid level equipment has gotten simpler and less costly. They offer far fewer products than in the past. I know a dealer that still has a pair of Synthesis speakers and a Sonographe preamp. I owned a SA250 amp and almost bought a Motif amp at one point.

Myles B. Astor
02-03-2013, 07:39 PM
Really? I must have missed it. :(

I do remember Roy Gregory waxing poetically about it but it never materialized. It was going to be IIRC in the 40K area and put out around 1 kW.

rthomeint
02-04-2013, 12:07 AM
I think was at CES 2009 maybe 2008.

ronenash
02-04-2013, 04:46 PM
I remember seeing a few years ago at CES. I wonder if it was a victim of the economy just as the case work on the entry and mid level equipment has gotten simpler and less costly. They offer far fewer products than in the past. I know a dealer that still has a pair of Synthesis speakers and a Sonographe preamp. I owned a SA250 amp and almost bought a Motif amp at one point.

I still own a Motif ms 2001 and will never let it go. Some Teflon cap upgrades and a few resistor changes and it competes with the best cj has to offer. No other amplifier cj has ever made is built to this standard and I have seen the internals of many.

ronenash
02-04-2013, 04:49 PM
Really? I must have missed it. :(

I do remember Roy Gregory waxing poetically about it but it never materialized. It was going to be IIRC in the 40K area and put out around 1 kW.

I thought it was a single ended triode amplifier.
There was definitely one SET prototype that cj presented in one of the shows. I think it was 300B based.

rthomeint
02-04-2013, 11:52 PM
I still own a Motif ms 2001 and will never let it go. Some Teflon cap upgrades and a few resistor changes and it competes with the best cj has to offer. No other amplifier cj has ever made is built to this standard and I have seen the internals of many.

I remember hearing the amp and the dual mono preamp in 1988? I liked the combo but it was way out of my price range at the time. I think the amp was $3000.00 and the preamp was $3500.00 I think.

Tonepub
02-05-2013, 02:35 AM

They couldn't get a reliable supply of the tubes that they wanted to use in the design...

And that's straight from Lew Johnson.

turntable
02-05-2013, 05:46 AM

You mean this? :music:

rthomeint
02-06-2013, 12:16 PM
I found this last night.

conrad-johnson, Lew Johnson - YouTube