PDA

View Full Version : Oracle Turntable

Vintage Pete
08-12-2009, 12:07 AM
Anyone here own an Oracle Turntable? It was one of the holy grails of turntables in the early 80's; I always wanted one then but couldn't afford it. As I look at the Delphi Mark V today, it appears the Oracle is still a dream turntable, perhaps more than ever. (and I still can't afford it!)

http://i732.photobucket.com/albums/ww322/pmakres1/oracle_delphi_mk_v.jpg

Anyone here own an Oracle? Just curious.

Pete

Still-One
08-12-2009, 08:36 AM
I had a Mark IV about 10 years ago. Setting up the suspension was not fun. I needed help to get it right.

Vintage Pete
08-12-2009, 11:14 AM
I had a Mark IV about 10 years ago. Setting up the suspension was not fun. I needed help to get it right.

In a review I read recently, it was said that the Mark V's setup has been greatly simplified; that it comes pretty much fully tweaked from the factory.

How did you like the Mark IV otherwise? What arm did you use?

Pete

Still-One
08-13-2009, 07:39 PM
In a review I read recently, it was said that the Mark V's setup has been greatly simplified; that it comes pretty much fully tweaked from the factory.

How did you like the Mark IV otherwise? What arm did you use?

Pete
The one I purchased came with a Graham arm. I am not a good person to ask about turntables since I look at them as just another source, and barely worth the hassle. The only item I use less than the table is the pair of headphones I purchased. Oh well, there is always A-gon.

Vintage Pete
08-13-2009, 08:28 PM
The one I purchased came with a Graham arm. I am not a good person to ask about turntables since I look at them as just another source, and barely worth the hassle. The only item I use less than the table is the pair of headphones I purchased. Oh well, there is always A-gon.

Thanks...I was just curious. The Graham arms seem to have an excellent reputation. Even though I use my table far less than years ago, the allure of fine turntables still captivates me.

Pete

Still-One
08-13-2009, 08:58 PM
Thanks...I was just curious. The Graham arms seem to have an excellent reputation. Even though I use my table far less than years ago, the allure of fine turntables still captivates me.

Pete
Pete

Just to be clear, I am not putting my new table up for sale, probably just the headphones. This is about my 4th effort of trying vinyl again. I agree that there is an allure to fine tables, unfortunately the beauty of looking at a beautiful table does not get me to use it.

Jim

Vintage Pete
08-13-2009, 09:13 PM
Pete

Just to be clear, I am not putting my new table up for sale, probably just the headphones. This is about my 4th effort of trying vinyl again. I agree that there is an allure to fine tables, unfortunately the beauty of looking at a beautiful table does not get me to use it.

Jim

Jim...

That's fine...believe me, I know where you're coming from. I can't be buying a new table (or any other gear, really) right now, but that never stops me from looking and pondering.

I kind of go hot and cold with turntables, right now my interest got tickled as I got a table that I acquired about a year ago up and running. I put it on one of my smaller systems, and once again noted how good vinyl can sound. So, I just kind of got browsing tables again, and the Oracle came to mind...as I mentioned, many years ago I had quite the fancy for this turntable. The latest Mark V looks very nice indeed. I'm sure your Mk IV with the Graham arm was beautiful.

I like the Pro-ject turntables too. Very nice tables with good price points. In particular, I do like the perspeX.

If I had the dollars to throw at my main system, a nice table would be really, really fun. I still have my Harmon Kardon T60 w/Ortofon MC10 on that system as I've had for many years. If I could do the upgrading, a source such as the MCD500 or the MCD/MDA1000 would have to take priority over something like a new turntable.

Pete

1KW
11-02-2009, 09:50 PM
I saw one for sale today on Audiogon with a SME tonearm. Has your name on it Pete :D

Vintage Pete
11-02-2009, 10:04 PM
I saw one for sale today on Audiogon with a SME tonearm. Has your name on it Pete :D

Thanks for thinking of me....wish I could grab one. :sigh: The Mk IV with the SME arm says it's sold....

If I really had my druthers, I'd have the Mk V with a Graham arm. Not sre which cartridge...

I'd love to get a beautiful table someday....

Pete

Tonepub
11-24-2009, 05:47 PM
Still have my Oracle V that needs to be set up again. Haven't used it for a while. Still a great table. Personally, the SME arms are a great match and super easy to set up, but the Graham's non bad either, as is the triplanar.

JSCC
11-24-2009, 09:05 PM
Still have my Oracle V that needs to be set up again. Haven't used it for a while. Still a great table. Personally, the SME arms are a great match and super easy to set up, but the Graham's non bad either, as is the triplanar.

Oracle's products are great esthetically. Simply Beautiful BUT at times, a pain to upkeep - on cleanliness (dust, what else)! :tears:

Still-One
11-24-2009, 09:12 PM
Oracle's products are great esthetically. Simply Beautiful BUT at times, a pain to upkeep - on cleanliness (dust, what else)! :tears:
Hey Jerry. How do you get so much dust in Singapore? The windows are always closed and the AC is on. :)

JSCC
11-24-2009, 09:22 PM
Hey Jerry. How do you get so much dust in Singapore? The windows are always closed and the AC is on. :)

Jim,

Whenever the MAIN door open, dust will come in. Also the doorway to the kitchen. Yes, I try my best (very best) to closed all doors (and aircon on almost like 16 hours a day) BUT still dust does comes in. Also contribution from blankets, pillows, etc, ... U see, my daughters does share the musical moments and when they felt cosy, they will bring their pillows, blankets, etc, ....

The only way is to keep dusting, once in every other day to maintain the expected level of cleanliness.

Moving on, my NEW system will try to be the easy to maintain type, with less fins, corners, or edges. For sure, my little Jeff Rowlands Class D amps fit the need. They may not be the best sounding, the most expensive but their form, fit and function meets my need and thats is the most important today.

By the way, I have ordered a NEW Wadia 780i player. Same reason, like a block of metal with nary a place dust could settle with being easily taken off. It will arrive at the same timing as the Sasha (late Dec/early to mid Jan), depending on freight transit timing.

The Acapellas/Argento Cables trade off does gives me a lot of "extra resource" to bring new toys!

Cheers!

Vintage Pete
11-24-2009, 09:29 PM

I could put up with it! :yes: :D

Pete

Still-One
11-24-2009, 09:34 PM
Jim,
By the way, I have ordered a NEW Wadia 780i player. Same reason, like a block of metal with nary a place dust could settle with being easily taken off. It will arrive at the same timing as the Sasha (late Dec/early to mid Jan), depending on freight transit timing.

The Acapellas/Argento Cables trade off does gives me a lot of "extra resource" to bring new toys!

Cheers!
Jerry
I have heard the 9 series and the 5 series but not the 7. They all sounded pretty good.

There are several nice players in that price range. What made you select Wadia over some of your other possible choices? Just curious.
Jim

JSCC
11-24-2009, 09:45 PM
Jerry
I have heard the 9 series and the 5 series but not the 7. The all sounded pretty good.

There are several nice players in that price range. What made you select Wadia over some of your other possible choices? Just curious.
Jim

Enough Input (types I need for Apple TV - USB, Samsung Bluray - Toslink, Accuphase T1000 AES/EBU), Great Offer (pricing), Single piece (kinda like MCD500) plus the "bass". I kinda like the overall presentation.

New design on my cabinet is a full 108 inches of space (one shelve - "Black Galaxy" Granite top). An average of 17 to 18 inches, so 5 pieces would need 85 inches side by side. So, space them out is just nice. If I were to place the PS Audio combo (3 pieces, PPP, PWT/PWD) and add on the rest, I ran out of space!

There you go, now you know why I am placing form, fit then function into my new system planning. May not be the "best" but somehow, I will live with.

Cheers!