PDA

View Full Version : ET5 vs. ACT2.1 opinions?

ronenash
01-15-2013, 08:00 AM
Hi Folks,

I have a chance to replace my ACT2.1 preamp with an ET5. Anyone had the opportunity to compare the two? I love the ACT2 and have enjoyed it very much over the past 6 month. I am not if the ET5 is really an upgrade. It has the advantage of just one common tube and the ability to do tube rolling with many excellent options NOS and NEW.

Opinion?

ronenash
01-16-2013, 05:29 AM
Anyone?

Briz Vegaas
01-16-2013, 05:56 AM
Well you won't want my opinion. :-)

The Stereophile review says my amp and yours are very similar, and you preferred the ET to the CT.

I am happy with my CT5. I've pimped my MacBook with SSD and and a Paul Hynes is on order to pimp it further. It's already much better sounding.

Conrad Johnson aren't answering my email about amps otherwise I could better discuss the relevance of the different output impedances (500 and 100 in your case, 800 in mine) and the CA200.

Bugs762
01-16-2013, 03:00 PM
Anyone?

I'd like to be able to afford to have an opinion on these two models but I can't. I'll bet they are both spectacular.

ronenash
01-16-2013, 05:54 PM
I heard both in the past but cannot tell one from the other based on distant memory. Thought someone might have done a direct comparison of the two. I hope I will get a chance to do a comparison in the near future.

Coppy
01-16-2013, 09:36 PM
Well you won't want my opinion. :-)

The Stereophile review says my amp and yours are very similar, and you preferred the ET to the CT.

I am happy with my CT5. I've pimped my MacBook with SSD and and a Paul Hynes is on order to pimp it further. It's already much better sounding.

Conrad Johnson aren't answering my email about amps otherwise I could better discuss the relevance of the different output impedances (500 and 100 in your case, 800 in mine) and the CA200.

When it comes to output impedance... less is always more.

Briz Vegaas
01-19-2013, 09:37 AM
Yes, In theory, that's why I borrowed the ET5. Could be 10 reasons why it didn't get me in. Fact is end of the day I'm enjoying the CT5. Right now it just sounds like music to me.

Puma Cat
02-02-2013, 03:32 PM
Your CT-5 is probably broken in and the ET-5 may not be broken in....

rthomeint
02-03-2013, 12:45 AM
At CES I asked Lew Johnson about the ET-5 Vs CT-5 and he if you can go for the ET-5. For what it's worth. He also said do the C1 upgrade on my Premier 11 vs buying anything other than a buying a LP125sa or an ART.

Coppy
02-03-2013, 01:44 AM
At CES I asked Lew Johnson about the ET-5 Vs CT-5 and he if I can go for the ET-5. For what it's worth. He also said do the C1 upgrade on my Premier 11 vs buying anything other than a buying a LP125sa or an ART.

I assume your reporting Lew prefers the ET-5 to the CT-5. Often he adds some information as to how much difference there is between the two. Do you remember any additional comment? It's been my experience with c-j over many years that they only introduce new product when the item is a true improvement over the previous model. I think that's what he was effectively saying to you.

Ron... this reminds me; the answer to you question is right here. Call or e-mail Lew for his opinion. He certainly knows the products better than anyone and will give you his view and the reasoning behind it.

Bob

rthomeint
02-03-2013, 12:05 PM
I assume your reporting Lew prefers the ET-5 to the CT-5. Often he adds some information as to how much difference there is between the two. Do you remember any additional comment? It's been my experience with c-j over many years that they only introduce new product when the item is a true improvement over the previous model. I think that's what he was effectively saying to you.

Ron... this reminds me; the answer to you question is right here. Call or e-mail Lew for his opinion. He certainly knows the products better than anyone and will give you his view and the reasoning behind it.

Bob

I didn't get a chance speak a length about this.I ask the question because I have the chance to get a demo CT-5 for about $4000.00 and was trying to figure out if it's worth the cash to get the ET-5.

Puma Cat
02-03-2013, 05:09 PM
Getting a CT-5 for $4000 is a terrific price. That's more than I paid for mine and I also got a terrific price.

ET-5's usually sell for $6500 used....you have to decide for yourself if the ET-5 is $2500 better than the CT-5.

rthomeint
02-03-2013, 06:43 PM
Getting a CT-5 for $4000 is a terrific price. That's more than I paid for mine and I also got a terrific price.

ET-5's usually sell for $6500 used....you have to decide for yourself if the ET-5 is $2500 better than the CT-5.

One of the reasons I would go for the CT-5 is I know it's broken in. I don't relish riding on the teflon capacitor roller coaster.

Tonepub
02-03-2013, 06:46 PM
I'd still go for the ACT 2 or 2.1 That is still my favorite CJ pre after using and owning all of them. ART and GAT are both fantastic, but I still love the ACT 2. Perhaps one of the greatest preamplifiers of all time.

Joe Appierto
02-03-2013, 11:28 PM
One of the reasons I would go for the CT-5 is I know it's broken in. I don't relish riding on the teflon capacitor roller coaster.

Maybe the C1 upgrade is different with amplifiers than preamps, or maybe my hearing just sucks, but I thought the Premier 140 sounded much improved right out of the box when I got it back from c-j. It did improve over time, to a degree, but the process was hardly painful.

rthomeint
02-04-2013, 12:06 AM
Maybe the C1 upgrade is different with amplifiers than preamps, or maybe my hearing just sucks, but I thought the Premier 140 sounded much improved right out of the box when I got it back from c-j. It did improve over time, to a degree, but the process was hardly painful.

My HD3 would sounding great one day then foggy the next until it finally settled in. My Met150 was even worse I'm at 700 hours now and it's still improving. Preamps would be easier to break in I could just pump signal 24/7 with out listening all the time.

Puma Cat
02-04-2013, 12:24 AM

Not been my experience with my CT-5 or my Premier 350. Both took >500 hours to start to come on song. I think Turntable (Shane) has had the same experience.

Puma Cat
02-04-2013, 12:29 AM

If you have an offer to be able to buy a CT-5 at a good price now, that may be a compelling enough reason, as well as the fact that it's fully broken in. ACT, ART, GATs don't come up for sale very often....all depends on if you willing to wait for one to appear.

turntable
02-04-2013, 01:33 AM
Hey Joe / Steve

I got my C1 teflon cap upgrade at the time I picked up the prem8a's for the 2nd time. I had no recent comparison to make.

But I will say the Teflon break in was not as up / down as the pre amps are, but. I had all this great detail / transparency and quietness but no bass when I first received the amps. It was like this for a long time that I made some equipment decisions based on the " pre cooked " state of the prem 8 a's.

Then after MANY MANY hundreds of hours the bass appeared. Go figure:D

We really are an impetus bunch that expect instant gratification sometimes, or at least after a week or two.:nono:

sleepysurf
02-05-2013, 02:10 PM
Ignoring sonic differences between the CT-5, ET-5, and ACT 2 or 2.1, one additional thing the CT-5 has going for it (IMHO), is it's gorgeous design with the semi-circular cutout and centrally placed tubes. I think it's the best looking of all C-J preamps! Even non-audiophile friends drool over it (even more so, once I fire it up)!

Tonepub
02-05-2013, 02:51 PM
The other bonus with the ET5, is that you only need two tubes, so even the craziest NOS tubes will only cost you about 150 a pop...

Rayooo
02-05-2013, 03:38 PM
The other bonus with the ET5, is that you only need two tubes, so even the craziest NOS tubes will only cost you about 150 a pop...

ET-5 only 1 Tube... Right? ..so even better.

repman
02-05-2013, 04:56 PM
Right one tube.

Puma Cat
02-05-2013, 04:59 PM
Ignoring sonic differences between the CT-5, ET-5, and ACT 2 or 2.1, one additional thing the CT-5 has going for it (IMHO), is it's gorgeous design with the semi-circular cutout and centrally placed tubes. I think it's the best looking of all C-J preamps! Even non-audiophile friends drool over it (even more so, once I fire it up)!

I agree, it's certainly much better looking than the ET-5, which I find rather bland-looking.

Here's mine...

http://photos.imageevent.com/puma_cat/fujif31andf20photos/CT-5%20pose.jpg

rthomeint
02-05-2013, 11:44 PM
I agree, it's certainly much better looking than the ET-5, which I find rather bland-looking.

Here's mine...

http://photos.imageevent.com/puma_cat/fujif31andf20photos/CT-5%20pose.jpg

I completely agree and it matches my MET-150. I was thinking the case work of the CT-5 Can't be that much than the ET-5. Outside of the ART the other current CJ products won't win any beauty contest.

Puma Cat
02-06-2013, 01:34 AM
I'm presently giving my Premier 17LS and LP70S system some love. It all sounds quite wonderful, and the Premier 17 is a little sweetheart of a pre, but it isn't as purdy as the CT-5.

Coppy
02-06-2013, 02:54 AM
I completely agree and it matches my MET-150. I was thinking the case work of the CT-5 Can't be that much than the ET-5. Outside of the ART the other current CJ products won't win any beauty contest.

The current product, GAT, IMHO, is one of their best looking pieces ever...
http://www.conradjohnson.com/It_just_sounds_right/gatpre.jpg

Briz Vegaas
02-06-2013, 08:12 AM
I'm missing my CT5. It's waiting on a part after the relays played up. Seems there is a shielding thing that happens with some amps. Mine was fine for just over a year. Being in Australia I've been waiting a few weeks now for the part to turn up and I'm over missing the CT5 sound. The CA200 with a digital pre volume control is good, but its not the same.
Not dissing the CA200 or those that own it, it's good, just not as good as when mated with a stand alone pre.

Puma Cat
02-06-2013, 04:27 PM
I'm missing my CT5. It's waiting on a part after the relays played up. Seems there is a shielding thing that happens with some amps. Mine was fine for just over a year. Being in Australia I've been waiting a few weeks now for the part to turn up and I'm over missing the CT5 sound. The CA200 with a digital pre volume control is good, but its not the same.
Not dissing the CA200 or those that own it, it's good, just not as good as when mated with a stand alone pre.

Especially with a pre as good as the CT-5.

Tonepub
02-06-2013, 08:56 PM
Right one tube.

Yeah, numbers confused! :)

Rayooo
02-06-2013, 09:01 PM
The current product, GAT, IMHO, is one of their best looking pieces ever...
http://www.conradjohnson.com/It_just_sounds_right/gatpre.jpg

I must admit it was an acquired taste for me....:thumbsup:

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-PNw8Qx_GO7Y/UNuQCLM9IUI/AAAAAAAAI6M/9UsQE0Xrw3o/s1084/RO0_0303.JPG

Puma Cat
02-07-2013, 01:52 AM

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-PNw8Qx_GO7Y/UNuQCLM9IUI/AAAAAAAAI6M/9UsQE0Xrw3o/s1084/RO0_0303.JPG

You're always welcome to send it my way! ;)

Nice photo....

Rayooo
02-07-2013, 09:36 AM
You're always welcome to send it my way! ;)

Nice photo....

wow thanks for the comment on the photo, coming from you is, well, amazing to say the least. I get lucky every once in awhile with photos, come to think of it, same with Golf for me, about 1 out of every 500 shots are pretty good.

Joe has first dibs on the GAT, but, it's taken on near family member status at this point around here, so It's not going anywhere anytime soon. :D :yes:

joeinid
02-07-2013, 10:55 AM
Ray,

It's a sweet preamp. I am extremely happy she went to a great home with parents who love her and appreciate her.

Coppy
02-08-2013, 04:25 AM

As with scotch and golf, my other passions... an acquired taste indeed.

Believe it or not... some prefer GAT without the neat plexi tube cages. At least they say the sound is better without them. I guess we all hear what we think we hear. Tis' the beauty of the sport.

Bob

ronenash
03-18-2013, 02:14 PM
This thread kind of got off topic but became an interesting discussion. I tried the ET5 last week and although its a great preempt much like I remembered it, its no ACT2. Does not have the ACT2 dynamics, soundstage and coherency. Somehow the ACT2 makes anything connected to it sound better.

I am staying with what I have :yes:

Rayooo
03-18-2013, 02:30 PM
This thread kind of got off topic but became an interesting discussion. I tried the ET5 last week and although its a great preempt much like I remembered it, its no ACT2. Does not have the ACT2 dynamics, soundstage and coherency. Somehow the ACT2 makes anything connected to it sound better.

Having owned an ET5, But never an ACT2,...
I did like the ET5 a bunch... But I would not have expected to ever hear it could out-do an ACT2.

Sent from my iPad using A.Aficionado

Coppy
03-18-2013, 05:16 PM

Ron,

You might consider upgrading your ACT11 to a series 2. Not only is the sound performance better but after the upgrade it will run MUCH cooler. Always a good thing.

Bob

ronenash
03-19-2013, 07:18 AM
Ron,

You might consider upgrading your ACT11 to a series 2. Not only is the sound performance better but after the upgrade it will run MUCH cooler. Always a good thing.

Bob

I looked into this but its too expensive of an upgrade and not worth it for me. If I ever find an ACT2.2 for sale I will definitely try to get it.

Tonepub
03-19-2013, 02:40 PM
Act 2 is huge improvement from the ET5

Briz Vegaas
03-20-2013, 11:00 AM
Confused.

One reviewer says his ACT2 and the CT5 are almost indistinguishable. CT5 has bigger dynamics, ACT2 ( series one ) a little more refined, not quite as rockin. Even LewJohnson agrees, says a new ACT2 is in the wings.

Then years later one guy says I should get a ET5, its way better than my CT5, bigger dynamics, better everything. Yet I didn't find this to be so.

Now the ACT2 is way better than a ET5, much bigger dynamics, etc.

Ok, everyone is entitled to change their minds, but its still confusing for those trying to understand how everything relates and compares.

currently with the LP70 and CT5 I'm getting a whole new perspective on the humble CT5. This setup has a huge sound stage despite the fact that I am practically nearfield listening. The LP70 keeps getting better and bigger sounding as the week progresses and I'm just running the stock tubes. plus once again I should have gone to bed 2 hours ago.

Oh the life of a CJ fanboy, its tough going.

Briz Vegaas
03-20-2013, 11:05 AM
PS yes I realise I am putting together about 4 people's opinions, just sayin, its confusing.

Rule one says: End of the day trust your ears and try it yourself, make up your own mind. Right now I'm just happy with what I have and I hope that might continue.

ronenash
03-20-2013, 11:31 AM
As one who tested the ET5 and owns the ACT2 for a year now I can say that to my ears the ACT2 is a significant step up from the ET5. I am sure its a significant step up from the CT5 as well but I have not heard one.
The CT5 is a scaled down version of the ACT2 utilizing only one tube per channel instead of two which results in twice the output impedance of the ACT2. The power supply of the CT5 is also a much scaled down version of the ACT2. It is true that CJ employed some learnings from designing the CT5 into the ACT2.2 but the ACT is still reference level.

Myles B. Astor
03-20-2013, 01:02 PM
Guess I differed from most people's reactions. I greatly preferred the sound of the ART Series 3 to the original ACT. Felt the ACT was just slow, dark and undynamic next to the ART. The GAT however was in a different league compared to the other two units. Far more extended at both extremes, resolving, more transparent...well just more of everything.

Coppy
03-20-2013, 04:53 PM
Guess I differed from most people's reactions. I greatly preferred the sound of the ART Series 3 to the original ACT. Felt the ACT was just slow, dark and undynamic next to the ART. The GAT however was in a different league compared to the other two units. Far more extended at both extremes, resolving, more transparent...well just more of everything.
+1, absolutely agree.

lotus340r
03-20-2013, 06:17 PM

Agreed. My GAT made my Act2.2 sound a bit forward and bright, glary, thin in the upper bass and a bit muddled/confused. Of course if you never heard the GAT the Act2.2 sounds wonderful and you easily atune to its character but its still interesting to hear them side by side in exactly the same system (i owned both for a few weeks).

Ive set my sights on the Art monos now to replace my Pr350. Nothing else will do. Cant wait.

Myles B. Astor
03-20-2013, 06:23 PM
Agreed. My GAT made my Act2.2 sound a bit forward and bright, glary, thin in the upper bass and a bit muddled/confused. Of course if you never heard the GAT the Act2.2 sounds wonderful and you easily atune to its character but its still interesting to hear them side by side in exactly the same system (i owned both for a few weeks).

Ive set my sights on the Art monos now to replace my Pr350. Nothing else will do. Cant wait.

I only heard the original ACT preamp and like you had the ACT and ART S.3 in the same system for month. It wasn't a contest and I kept the ART preamp. Same went for GAT and ART Series III. It was a sorrowful parting since had the ART in my system for over a decade!

You won't be disappointed with the ART amps!

Tonepub
03-21-2013, 01:17 AM

Those Avalons are pretty current hungry. As much as I love the ART amps, I wouldn't sell the Premier 350 until you hear the two side by side. With your speakers, you may still prefer the drive of the 350.

Myles B. Astor
03-21-2013, 05:43 AM
Those Avalons are pretty current hungry. As much as I love the ART amps, I wouldn't sell the Premier 350 until you hear the two side by side. With your speakers, you may still prefer the drive of the 350.

So which is it Jeff? Or is it you simply trying to another potshot?

From your review:

"With an 89 db sensitivity rating and a 4 ohm impedance,these speakers are very easy to drive. While I did the majority of my evaluation iwth my reference conrad-johnson Premier 350SA amplifier (solid-state, 350 watts per channel), I tried about eight other amplifiers that ranged in power from 30 watts per channel on up to get a good feel of just how well these speakers would work in any situation.

I particularly liked that the Ascendants would offer up a very musical sound no matter what I pair them up with, from the Prima Luna Prologue 1 all the way to the Premier 350. "

So you're telling me that all Prima Luna amplifier could drive the Avalon's but the cj ART amplifier couldn't? Or that the ART can handle a difficult load and have plenty of dynamics and drive (yeah like on a medium with some real chops like open reel tape) with an electrostat and not the Avalon's?

And I'm not a big fan of the Premier 350s. Maybe for someone who has to have solid-state but not in the same class as cj's tube amplifiers. But better than their Motif series.

turntable
03-21-2013, 06:25 AM

The ART mono blocks will be a great upgrade over the pr350. :thumbsup:

I enjoyed my pr350, but my Teflon prem8a's are quite a bit better. I can only imagine how much better the ART monoblocks will be. Be sure to show pics.

Coppy
03-21-2013, 06:54 AM

Can't speak for the Avalons but my LP140 monos drive the supposedly difficult to motivate Sashas just fine with plenty of headroom. And, sound better in every way than the P350 except maybe for the very lowest bass. The ARTs should be terrific with twice the power of the LP140s. Enjoy.

Hmm... you've got me thinking about the ARTs again.