PDA

View Full Version : BAT now owned by Music Direct??

cmalak
01-14-2013, 03:55 PM
Check out this comment from Stereophile from the CES coverage: Balanced Audio Technology | Stereophile.com (http://www.stereophile.com/content/balanced-audio-technology)

[quote]How nice to again make the acquaintance of the folks at Balanced Audio Technology, aka BAT, now owned by Music Direct, and discover their three handsome new preamplifiers. The VK-53SE ($15,000), which replaces the VK-52SE, incorporates the same transformer-coupled output stage as in the flagship REX II preamp, and uses a new amorphous-core output transformer, encapsulated in a Mu Metal case. "There are no caps in the signal path in our preamps," proclaimed Geoff Poor. "The best capacitor is no capacitor." Also new are the VK-33SE preamplifier ($9995), a replacement for the 32SE and a trickle-down beneficiary of the VK-53SE's technology; and the VK-33 preamplifier ($7000), which replaces the VK-32.[/B]

Anyone know when this switch in ownership happened? Music Direct is now building quite a portfolio, owning their retail operation (both brick-and-mortar and on-line), the current Mobile Fidelity label, and now Balanced Audio technology (BAT). Interesting :scratch2:

mbovaird
01-14-2013, 05:42 PM
Hmmm....this is interesting. I can't find anything on it. Maybe they meant "distributed by"? I know Music Direct sells a lot of BAT gear.

chessman
01-14-2013, 07:06 PM
Strange ..... I did not feel a tremor in the force. :scratch2:

cmalak
01-14-2013, 07:07 PM
Strange ..... I did not feel a tremor in the force. :scratch2:

:laughin:

You would know :thumbsup:

JGM411
01-14-2013, 07:13 PM
I believe it was sold. The last time I visited Geoff's store, one of his staff mentioned something about it to me.

Formerly YB-2
08-30-2013, 07:56 PM
Hmmm........ spoke to Geoff Poor and Victor Khomenko on the phone just last week at their facility just over the river in DE. Victor posted in AA concerning his products in the past so he may see this thread (sent him the link to the forum) and bring us up-to-date on ownership of BAT and the VK-655SE amps mentioned in another thread.

Myles B. Astor
08-30-2013, 10:03 PM
Well I heard way back from someone inside MD that they had purchased BAT and were providing a financial infusion to help them bring new products to market.

taters
09-01-2013, 12:00 AM
Well I heard way back from someone inside MD that they had purchased BAT and were providing a financial infusion to help them bring new products to market.

That's a shame.

chessman
09-01-2013, 09:58 AM
That's a shame.

Why do you think so?

tom_hankins
09-01-2013, 10:03 AM

Thats what I was told by the MD people too. I think its a good thing for BAT and for us BAT owners.

Myles B. Astor
09-01-2013, 04:11 PM
Why do you think so?

Yes I'd also like to know why considering MD and BAT already had a working relationship. I don't know if it's true but I heard somewhere that MD was BAT's biggest dealer. Not to mention Jim Davis and MD did a great job resurrecting MOFI. So I'm curious too.

Formerly YB-2
09-01-2013, 06:32 PM
With the economic situation in this country over the past 5-6 years, am sure many small businesses have looked for or are looking for a 'white knight'. As we've seen with McIntosh and their new owners and now BAT, it is probably better to have someone in the industry to help you then someone who is just interested in the money (Krell & Cary - probably others).

jfrech
09-02-2013, 07:18 AM
Well one thing for sure...BAT needs to update their Website...or MD needs to...seems like they have new products that some of us might be curious about. I did read they moved to transformer coupling vs capacitor in some of their preamps. Apparently this helps improve the sound....I'd like to know more...

Also, where I am most curious is did they update the phono stages recently?

chessman
09-03-2013, 06:27 PM
Well one thing for sure...BAT needs to update their Website...or MD needs to...seems like they have new products that some of us might be curious about. I did read they moved to transformer coupling vs capacitor in some of their preamps. Apparently this helps improve the sound....I'd like to know more...

Also, where I am most curious is did they update the phono stages recently?

They just did. Take a look. :)

Rilands
09-03-2013, 06:48 PM
Why isn't anyone asking the new guy what the scoop is?

Msegal
09-03-2013, 06:55 PM
I have heard many very good BAT products in the past.

The company seemed to fall off the map about 3-4 years ago.
I assumed MD was selling old stock of a dead/dying company.

I hope BAT can return to its days of glory by making great products at justifiable price points.

VK is certainty a great member of the "audio designers" and giving him some capital should allow for new and improved products.

Mike S.