PDA

View Full Version : Filter of the EB1i full of.....

Jerome W
01-13-2013, 09:25 AM
made in France components..... !

Vive la France !! :banana: we're not dead yet :D !!
OB1 is written on the board, but it is the filter of my EB1i....

http://i949.photobucket.com/albums/ad339/sondeck/DSC_0066_zps58a9d12d.jpg

Haurock
01-13-2013, 09:30 AM
Hmmmm... now there's a recipe... french food,.. french wine... one or two demoiselles..and.. PMC speakers with the heart of France... how can you go wrong???... :D

Jerome W
01-13-2013, 09:41 AM
Hmmmm... now there's a recipe... french food,.. french wine... one or two demoiselles..and.. PMC speakers with the heart of France... how can you go wrong???... :D

Funny Rock !

Sent from my iPad using A.Aficionado

Pyro
01-13-2013, 09:58 AM
Sure do like my EB1i's.

Would like to hear the legendary PMC 75 soft dome driver in the IB2i's pushed by a pair of MC2301's. :D

jdandy
01-13-2013, 11:24 AM
Jérôme.......Thank you for post the excellent photo of the EB1i crossover. It is a thing of beauty and very well constructed. That is the first time I have seen the crossover and I am impressed. I can see why the EB1i can handle the power of the McIntosh MC1.2kw. I like the way the three sets of speaker terminal inputs are bolted directly to the main circuit board. This is a well designed crossover that clearly demonstrates the overall quality of PMC's speakers. I love my PMC EB1i speakers.

What made you decide to pull the crossover off the back of the speaker?

cmalak
01-13-2013, 12:06 PM
Jerome...who manufactures those French black capacitors?

Jerome W
01-13-2013, 12:13 PM
Jérôme.......Thank you for post the excellent photo of the EB1i crossover. It is a thing of beauty and very well constructed. That is the first time I have seen the crossover and I am impressed. I can see why the EB1i can handle the power of the McIntosh MC1.2kw. I like the way the three sets of speaker terminal inputs are bolted directly to the main circuit board. This is a well designed crossover that clearly demonstrates the overall quality of PMC's speakers. I love my PMC EB1i speakers.

What made you decide to pull the crossover off the back of the speaker?

Dan....: typical question of the Wise Man : the one who goes beyond what is shown and wants to understand what is really happening.
The cats played with the foam of the bass port and it got detached. I had to removed the filter to reglue it correctly.
BTW you 're right all the way. The filter is a work of art and you can feel this much better when you have it in your hands ! then you can see also those huge wires bolted to the board : very impressive indeed and very far from the "Wilson crappy posts " :D. I'm fine here : in the PMC forum, Wilson addicts do not come ! :D

Now to go even beyond my answer : I may have a buyer for them.
I know I know I will regret this but honestly they are really too big to fit nicely in the living room and I'm fond of the Klipsch Heresy III, both with te Shindo Apetite in the second system and I'm planning to buy an other pair for the Mc system in the living room. A bit stupid to have 2 identical pairs of speakers in the home but I LOVE them ( I can't find any shortcoming to their natural and living sound : "perfect balance" as said Jeff Dorgay in his review in Tone ) and their look is stunning + they just disappear in the room.

You cannot ignore the EB1i when you they are in a room. I have to think about Narcisa too.

I know I know, I will regret that. I love my EB1i too......:tears:

Jerome W
01-13-2013, 12:15 PM
Jerome...who manufactures those French black capacitors?

No idea Cyril ! I do not recognize this logo and there is no brand on them....

jdandy
01-13-2013, 12:26 PM
Jérôme.......So sad to see the PMC EB1i's go.

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQDM3VUlMYGhTCIOhnfoz9g0aZNOZ6cU X4EgxnOG1o30VB_ISqFIpxRorU

Levi
01-13-2013, 04:29 PM
Probably Solen caps.

jdandy
01-13-2013, 04:36 PM
Levi.......Good to see you post. :thumbsup:

Are you still enjoying your PMC's?

Jerome W
01-13-2013, 04:47 PM
Levi.......Good to see you post. :thumbsup:

Are you still enjoying your PMC's?

+1 !
Welcome back !

Levi
01-13-2013, 06:08 PM
Thank you. As If I never left. Still rocking on my PMC OB1i. :thumbsup:

Yet another exciting year!

Jerome, I still owe you that CD. LOL!

Haurock
01-13-2013, 06:44 PM
Funny Rock !

Sent from my iPad using A.Aficionado

:thumbsup:

Face
01-13-2013, 07:30 PM
Correct Levi, the capacitors "Made in France" are by Solen, which is a part of SCR. La socit des Composants Record, fabricant de composants lectroniques condensateurs, condensateur acoustique, condensateur laser, condensateur de puissance, condensateur de haute tension,resistances, resistance bobinee syliconnee, resistance bobinee v (http://www.scr.fr/index.php?page=accueil)

mb2
01-15-2013, 06:58 PM
made in France components..... !

Vive la France !! :banana: we're not dead yet :D !!
OB1 is written on the board, but it is the filter of my EB1i....

http://i949.photobucket.com/albums/ad339/sondeck/DSC_0066_zps58a9d12d.jpg

Yes sir
You got about $60(when manufactures buy in bulk)worth of Solen caps there.
Probably $200 total in parts for these $16,000 speakers

megasat16
01-15-2013, 07:12 PM
Yes sir
You got about $60(when manufactures buy in bulk)worth of Solen caps there.
Probably $200 total in parts for these $16,000 speakers

I think your estimates of the caps and components are about right. May be a little less more than your estimates for the large order made by companies like PMC. By all means, I agree better components can be put inside a $16K speakers but it usually is same deal with many high end brands if you pull things apart and look what's inside....

But the real $ worthiness of the speaker is not the components. It's the experience of the guy who builds them and know what a good sound is and know how to design an excellent crossover and speaker combination. It takes years of affords and several thousands worth of $ trial and errors for the speaker design.