PDA

View Full Version : Rcm

DonBattles
01-04-2013, 04:35 PM
Finally decided it was time for a RCM and found a pretty good deal on the newly redesigned Clearaudio Smart Matrix. It's said to run @ about 60-65db depending on what reports/reviews you read. Either way that's a lot better than the 95-98 db that's reported with the VPI 16.5. Will report after if arrives next week :thumbsup:

eddiel
01-04-2013, 04:42 PM
Nice. Make sure you report back.

I should measure the loudness of my Okki Nokki. Now idea what it is but it does seem quieter than the previous version fot the Okki Nokki.

Wasatch
01-04-2013, 04:43 PM
The noise/sound from the VPI means nothing to me, I go by how well it cleans.

DonBattles
01-04-2013, 05:18 PM
The noise/sound from the VPI means nothing to me, I go by how well it cleans.

Cleaning is the goal of course and I think the two are on par with each other. That being said I would prefer as little noise as possible since I would like to listen as I clean. At 95 plus db that's just too loud to do so. I wasn't going to spend $2-3k on a cleaner but was willing to spend a bit more than what a 16.5 would cost.

tunes
01-04-2013, 06:23 PM
really interested in your opinions on the clearaudio as I'm thinking of trading in my vpi 16.5. mostly because it heats up so fast and I like to clean about 20-40 lps at a sitting.

:lurk:

DonBattles
01-05-2013, 12:13 PM
The build quality is said to be very good and in now done entirely at Clearaudio's facility in Germany. The base/body is, I believe aluminum as very sturdy and very well isolated. Pictures and first impressions to come.

DonBattles
01-07-2013, 01:54 AM
I've been poking around looking for any additional information about the Clearaudio Smart Matrix I have on the way. I found a video on YouTube of the Double Matrix which according to Clearaudio's wedsite also runs between 60-65 db during the vacuum cleaning cycle. I think this is going to work out nicely :banana:

Clearaudio Double Matrix Professional Record Cleaning - YouTube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTKi_DJ-FaI

tunes
01-08-2013, 11:52 AM
that double matrix looks to be just the ticket if it works well. From the video, it is fast, does both sides without touching a platter and has a de-static brush integrated. Anyone use one of these? If so, how well do they work/clean in practice? Does the unit heat up after cleaning a few records like the VPI 16.5?
is it only a one-solution system? Wondering how that compares to an enzyme/deep clean/rinse system?

edit - just noticed another thread about the audiodesksysteme cleaner which sounds like a similarly priced and automated RCM but using different tech. Sounds like lots of early QC issues but that this may be getting sorted out??

doggiehowser
01-08-2013, 12:05 PM
I have just started using the Nitty Gritty. Noisy but cleans rather well

RoadDawgWest
01-08-2013, 02:33 PM
The video for the VPI 16.5 brings back many good memories. I would have no hesitation on recommending the 16.5 to someone looking for their first RCM. If the Clear Audio was around when I started out I would have a difficult time not passing up on the 16.5 and getting a spin clean to hold me over until I saving my money for the double matrix.

Does the double matrix clean 7" and 10" records also? I have a Hannl micro and love it, but would like something that does not have a platter for these record sizes.

DonBattles
01-11-2013, 04:43 PM
My RCM just arrived earlier today so I should have some feedback in a day or two.

HiFiCrossFit
05-12-2013, 09:49 PM
My RCM just arrived earlier today so I should have some feedback in a day or two.

I would love to hear the impressions of your machine. Would you mind giving me a idea of the steps in your procedure for record cleaning? I don't want my vacuum tube sucking up detritus but not sure of what my step by step process will be. My RCM should arrive tomorrow.

DonBattles
05-13-2013, 01:19 AM
I would love to hear the impressions of your machine. Would you mind giving me a idea of the steps in your procedure for record cleaning? I don't want my vacuum tube sucking up detritus but not sure of what my step by step process will be. My RCM should arrive tomorrow.

http://www.audioaficionado.org/vinyl-accessories/18502-clearaudio-smart-matrix-report.html

Formerly YB-2
05-25-2013, 06:32 PM
I would prefer as little noise as possible since I would like to listen as I clean. At 95 plus db that's just too loud to do so. I wasn't going to spend $2-3k on a cleaner but was willing to spend a bit more than what a 16.5 would cost.
Exactly. Sold the 16.5 and now use a Spin-Clean as it is silent and does a good job. Even the 78db that Don reports with the ClearAudio is higher than I am willing to tolerate. However, I would like to have the vacuum and am wondering if anyone has tried the Record Doctor V? Am thinking of moving the vacuum pump into the next room and running a pipe over to the machine. Likely more trouble than it is worth and will stick with the Spin-Clean so can listen as I clean.

greekgod
05-28-2013, 01:08 AM
I haven't tried it personally but have read that that the Record Doctor V is very LOUD.

John49
05-28-2013, 10:35 AM
I haven't tried it personally but have read that that the Record Doctor V is very LOUD.

Moth RCM is VERY LOUD!!!!

Keith Monks is very quiet, but I do not know dB levels. Probably expensive in USA, as made on the Isle of Wight, UK.

Heard good things about Loricraft, again probably expensive in USA.

HiFiCrossFit
05-28-2013, 12:30 PM
I'm certain every person has their own unique method of cleaning records and I'm certainly still working on mine. But I finally cleaned some records yesterday on my new VPI 16.5 and it went very well. First I spend about 15 mins per record and this is mostly because I am new to analog and will get faster as I get the process down. Yes the VPI is loud, no it does not bother me one bit. Literally out of the 15 mins that I clean a record the vacuum gets used maybe 30 secs total. The rest of the time I am scrubbing, rinsing, wiping, and applying Last at the end. For the amount of time the machine runs I really don't care how loud it is, I was able to listen to music the entire time I cleaned records. I also only soak up clean distilled water into the machine, I do not vacuum up dirty cleaning liquids. To remove the cleaning liquid from the record I use micro fiber cloths.

JiveTurkey
06-11-2013, 10:34 AM

Deutschland Über Alles.

Markd51
06-12-2013, 09:27 AM
I'm certain every person has their own unique method of cleaning records and I'm certainly still working on mine. But I finally cleaned some records yesterday on my new VPI 16.5 and it went very well. First I spend about 15 mins per record and this is mostly because I am new to analog and will get faster as I get the process down. Yes the VPI is loud, no it does not bother me one bit. Literally out of the 15 mins that I clean a record the vacuum gets used maybe 30 secs total. The rest of the time I am scrubbing, rinsing, wiping, and applying Last at the end. For the amount of time the machine runs I really don't care how loud it is, I was able to listen to music the entire time I cleaned records. I also only soak up clean distilled water into the machine, I do not vacuum up dirty cleaning liquids. To remove the cleaning liquid from the record I use micro fiber cloths.

I assume you're reluctant to vacuum up cleaning fluids due to a concern over cross-contamination onto the Vacuum Wand?

Simple, buy another Vacuum Wand Assembly, the entire affair will cost you about $70 from a VPI Dealer.

There are a couple of issues that I see with this method you use.

First, by wiping off dirty fluids this way, you may cause slight abrasion-scratching to the record's surface. A properly adjusted VPI Vacuum Wand is actually sucking up the fluid immediately right before the Vacuum Wand's protective Velvet Strip touches the record.

By saying "properly adjusted", a VPI Vacuum Wand should actually be canted-rotated in its Holder by a small 1-2 degrees, so the Slot in the Tube more efficiently picks up fluids. You'll perhaps notice this, as seeing only one of the protective Strips getting dirtier-dustier faster than the other.

When Record Cleaning Fluids detach, and suspend contaminants in the groove (at least good cleaners will do this), this should be the time to remove them, while they're suspended in the cleaning fluid.

And, by wiping, you are probably actually letting fluids dry upon the record, not too good for a number of reasons. One, contaminants can re-attach themselves, and two, films left from cleaners can then be even harder to remove on follow-up passes.

Think of it as washing a car with soaps, then just wiping this entire soapy-dirty slurry down with a towel before rinsing.

As I've always said when I've discussed record cleaning with other folks over the years, the RCM in many ways does no actual "cleaning" per se.

They may provide a means of scrubbing fluids, and then a means of fluid removal.

That even highly sophisticated, and expensive machines (like for example Master Lu's Double Matrix) can go round and round with both Brushes scrubbing till the cows come home, if the cleaners don't effectively do their jobs, the RCM then may proove much less effective.

Again, think of it as washing dirty clothes with no detergents in the cycle.

Markd51
06-12-2013, 09:48 AM
really interested in your opinions on the clearaudio as I'm thinking of trading in my vpi 16.5. mostly because it heats up so fast and I like to clean about 20-40 lps at a sitting.

:lurk:

Installation of a 4" Pancake Cooling Fan on the VPI 16.5 is not that hard to do.

I went with an installation similar to what you would see on the VPI 17 RCM, with the fan permanently mounted on a side panel, with fan shroud, the whole bit.

Most 16.5 RCMs have three small vent slots on the bottom cover of the machine.
The cooling fan can be mounted at this location directly over those slots, without the need of cutting any more holes in the machine, have the fan exhause air out of the bottom of the machine, and it will draw air from the small opening under the Platter, where the Motor-Platter Arbor protrudes up through the top of the Top Deck.

One only needs to insure there's no air flow obstructions from the internal Batting VPI installs inside the machine.

One can simply tie the two leads from the 120V AC fan directly into the two AC leads going into the machine.

This means as soon as the RCM is plugged in, the fan would run continuously, negating the need for a seperate fan switch. No probs, as long as you don't leave your machine plugged in all the time in some permanent installation.

Air flow would not be as efficient as what I did, but any air flow would be better than none.

This easier method should offer better cooling for both motors, without the need of cutting, and would not be as detrimental to increasing the DB output of an already loud machine. Mark